Americans' Opinions About Royalty

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NotHRH

Courtier
City
Gonzales, Louisiana
Country
United States
As I read through many posts, there are always pro-royalty posters who are very condescending to Americans who give their opinions on the subject of royals. All non-Americans seem to feel the same about Americans (that we are all "arrogant"). We are not arrogant, but yes most of us are opininated (just like everybody else in this world) and yes, we will and can write our attitudes about whatever we choose. We are not attempting to change anybody's feelings, just chiming in on a topic. Don't keep trying to set us straight as if we don't understand, just a different view point. So if "you" are trying to shut me up by hurting my feelings, well...that will never happen. I personally enjoy reading others' points of view, and I will keep stating mine, like it or not. End of my rant. My best to all.

All opinions are valid, and that is not restricted per nationality.

But occassionally i get the feeling that the person stating an opinion does not take into account the culture of other countries or time-periods.
And in my opinion that *is* important to consider.
( but this also is not restricted to or limited by nationality)

I joined here in 2008 looking for silly Ascot hats and practically knew nothing about royalty or how it works other than the name of some of the British royal family. Over the years, the wealth of information that was made available to me has not only educated me in so many ways but I've met some very nice and friendly people here. Didn't matter if I got something wrong or didn't know something because there was always someone willing to take the time and explain things to me.

I've never, ever felt any kind of an attitude towards Americans and their views at all. We're all uniquely different people and for the most part, that is accepted throughout the various threads. I've really come to admire those that can post and keep up a very interesting conversation knowing that English is not their primary language. I'd be very hard put having to communicate in any other language but English.

No matter where someone is from, there are varying different stances on monarchy versus a republic as I think is shown in the various threads here and it makes for interesting discussions. Just like a favorite color, we all have our own thoughts and ideas about other things too and we're lucky to have a forum expressly for discussing various topics whether it be Kate's latest evening gown, Harry's Invictus Games or silly Ascot hats. :flowers:

To participate in any discussion it is simply expected to be either politely asking for more information, educating oneself on the topic at hand, or happily sharing the knowledge one may have. Would anyone participate in a discussion (online or otherwise) about tennis without either an interest in the game, its rules and regulations and tradition and history, or an interest in learning about the game. Would someone just for the fun of it "hate" someone's playing style, dress or way of training and preparing for a game, or comparing any aspect of the game to totally unrelated issues. (dress look like a curtain, hair looks like bedhead...)

Often it seems as if the royal discussion board is used for unloading stuff that it would be more healthy to discuss with someone in person.

Monarchy is part of who many of us are. It is in our culture, history, family history, language and interest. If someone does not like the idea of a monarchy or dislikes the royal families, please find another place to post. Monarchy is much more than beautiful clothes and interesting state visits. It is part of the essence of our native countries if they are monarchies.

If you are interested in the incredible knowledge and the willingness to share you will find on these sites you are welcome to participate. If you are the type to crash parties in order to complain about the other guests, there are other places to play.

Last edited:
Most Americans have no idea, passed the British who the rest are. And they love the British Pomp, as it is fun. Past that, only a beautiful princess, such as Diana or Kate, they wouldn't go out of their way to see most. They respect the queen by and large, but most think monarchies are anachronistic, but work fine where they are.

:previous:I think it is important to speak for one's self. I have not ever felt that anyone was condescending toward (except maybe another American:ROFLMAO:) I do think whether American or other that coming on like "gang busters" with an opinion will accomplish nothing. Maybe that should be kept in mind and people might be more thoughtful in how they express themselves.:whistling:

Most Americans have no idea, passed the British who the rest are. And they love the British Pomp, as it is fun. Past that, only a beautiful princess, such as Diana or Kate, they wouldn't go out of their way to see most. They respect the queen by and large, but most think monarchies are anachronistic, but work fine where they are.

From my perspective, that is a true statement. This why I joined this forum - royalty does not interest anybody I know. Royals/royalty and their histories have interested me since QEII celebrated her 25th year on the British throne - 1977. The pomp really is not my interest, it is the royals themselves and their relationships. The one thing that puzzles me though is if a country ousts, for whatever reason, their royal family and then that country proceeds to "outlaw" their ex-royal family, what gives the ex-royals the right to keep using royal titles of a country? How long can the Braganza ' s continue to refer to themselves as "prince/ss of Brazil"? I often see Constantine of Greece referred to as ex-King Constantine of Greece, which is the more correct terminology. How long can his descendants consider themselves royals of Greece?

:previous:I think it is important to speak for one's self. I have not ever felt that anyone was condescending toward (except maybe another American:ROFLMAO:) I do think whether American or other that coming on like "gang busters" with an opinion will accomplish nothing. Maybe that should be kept in mind and people might be more thoughtful in how they express themselves.:whistling:

"Thoughtful" is a subjective term. What I think is "thoughtful" may not be "thoughtful" to you. Yes, some people are more blunt than others, but when a blunt opinion is answered by another blunt opinion, then obviously the responder's nerves have been frazzled. They act as though you are stirring the pot, when in reality, a question or questions were asked or opinions were given. In return they attack you and try to change the subject; why can't they just answer the question? I don't understand that.

Closed for moderator review.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom