Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill's Marriage Banns and Reception: May 19, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wut?

He had a kidney transplant. Many people survive kidney transplants and thrive for the rest of their lives afterwards, and his illness certainly shouldn't have influenced whether or not he was an appropriate husband for Crown Princess Victoria.

Indeed, he's proven not only to be an appropriate choice but an ideal choice and the future of the monarchy is in great hands with those two.
Kidney transplantation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Post operation
Immunosuppressant drugs are used to suppress the immune system from rejecting the donor kidney. These medicines must be taken for the rest of the patient's life. The most common medication regimen today is a cocktail of tacrolimus, mycophenolate, and prednisone. Some patients may instead take cyclosporine, sirolimus, or azathioprine.
Blood levels must be monitored closely and if the patient seems to have declining renal function, a biopsy may be necessary to determine whether this is due to rejection or cyclosporine intoxication."

"The average lifetime for a donated kidney is ten to fifteen years. When a transplant fails, a patient may opt for a second transplant, and may have to return to dialysis for some intermediary time."

So I see reason to think twice.
In contrast, Chris health seems is good.

Last edited:
I've been an RN for kidney and liver transplantation patients for almost 15 years. Among other things, I follow and manage patients' immunosupression medications after their transplants. Prior to his transplant and during the recovery process, Daniel was indeed, seriously ill. Now, with the help of those medications to prevent rejection, and what I assume is now a fully functioning kidney, he is not seriously ill. He has a chronic condition for which he must have regular blood testing done to ensure his kidney is functioning properly, his medication levels are where they should be, etc. The goal from all of that is to PREVENT him from becoming seriously ill again. If, however, he should start to reject his kidney, THEN he would again be seriously ill. Right now, there's nothing to indicate that's the case. Only he, his physician and whomever he chooses to share that with would know. I hope and pray he never becomes seriously ill again and the new kidney gives him a long and wonderful life.

Kidney transplantation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Post operation
Immunosuppressant drugs are used to suppress the immune system from rejecting the donor kidney. These medicines must be taken for the rest of the patient's life. The most common medication regimen today is a cocktail of tacrolimus, mycophenolate, and prednisone. Some patients may instead take cyclosporine, sirolimus, or azathioprine.
Blood levels must be monitored closely and if the patient seems to have declining renal function, a biopsy may be necessary to determine whether this is due to rejection or cyclosporine intoxication."

"The average lifetime for a donated kidney is ten to fifteen years. When a transplant fails, a patient may opt for a second transplant, and may have to return to dialysis for some intermediary time."

So I see reason to think twice.
In contrast, Chris health seems is good.

I don't personally see why this would make it ok for the King and Queen to be cool (and even cruel) towards Daniel and his relationship with Victoria. Personally I would think this would mean the exact opposite.
Hopefully the King and Queen have come to learn through their treatment towards Victoria and Daniel that if they simply ignore their childrens partners it has no effect so better to embrace them early on. If thats not true it seems simply that money and status is nehind their opinion.

I can't imagine that if carl philips parents could choose his wife that they would choose a woman who has posed nude to one who hasn't. Just because Sophia is attending family occadions it isn't proof they really accept her. Their son is obviously dead cert on being with her so what can they do? On a different note; would carl philip's children be HRH?

I've been an RN for kidney and liver transplantation patients for almost 15 years. Among other things, I follow and manage patients' immunosupression medications after their transplants. Prior to his transplant and during the recovery process, Daniel was indeed, seriously ill. Now, with the help of those medications to prevent rejection, and what I assume is now a fully functioning kidney, he is not seriously ill. He has a chronic condition for which he must have regular blood testing done to ensure his kidney is functioning properly, his medication levels are where they should be, etc. The goal from all of that is to PREVENT him from becoming seriously ill again. If, however, he should start to reject his kidney, THEN he would again be seriously ill. Right now, there's nothing to indicate that's the case. Only he, his physician and whomever he chooses to share that with would know. I hope and pray he never becomes seriously ill again and the new kidney gives him a long and wonderful life.

Yup. And the suggestion that Daniel's illness meant he should have been unacceptable as a consort is as prejudiced and wrong as it is off topic for this thread.

/Also, thank you for the work you do! Nurses are unsung heroes.

I can't imagine that if carl philips parents could choose his wife that they would choose a woman who has posed nude to one who hasn't. Just because Sophia is attending family occadions it isn't proof they really accept her. Their son is obviously dead cert on being with her so what can they do? On a different note; would carl philip's children be HRH?

Perhaps not, but TM seem to understand that parents do not get to pick their childrens partners and if they want to continue to have a relationship with their children they have to accept the partners their children chose.
I seem to recall the King in his speech at the 2010 weddng saying that contrary to what was written he never had any objections to Daniel.
It seems natural that someone who might move in similar social circles like Mrs ONeil would have more access to the King that Mr and Mrs Westling. I don't think it is a question of the King looking down at the Westling, more a question of knowing the same kind of people and moving in similar social circles.

Don't forget that Daniel was (and is) very seriously ill. He must take a lot of drugs every day. It is very dangerous to accept such consort in hereditary system.

At the time, yes. Now though, not really. As long as Daniel continues to do what his Doctors tell him, take his meds at the proper times and his regular blood work continues to be fine, then he is considered to be healthy and fine. We wouldn't be seeing out and about taking on so many duties if he wasn't.

Not to mention if he was as sick as you claim, there wouldn't be a healthy little Princess running things at Haga right now either. As my little Great Nephew Parker's a few months younger than Estelle, and just about walking, trust me that she is the one in charge there. ;)I

It's mind boggling to me, even almost 20 yrs on w/my own Kidney Transplant, that such misconceptions about Organ Transplantation are still out there. If you are interested in talking about this more, feel free to PM me, as this thread isn't the place for it.

As for today... Madeleine needs to wear that colour more often, as it just really looks amazing on her and that new portrait of her and Chris is just stunning. Thought HM and Victoria both looked lovely, but Chris' Mom!?! YIKES!!! I think we have a new photo for the reference placement in any reference book for "Fashion Disaster".

I'm so looking forward to this Wedding. Only a couple of weeks to go!!! :D

Don't forget that Daniel was (and is) very seriously ill. He must take a lot of drugs every day. It is very dangerous to accept such consort in hereditary system.
Do you have any information regarding his health? Having a kidney transplant is not a death sentence nor is his condition hereditary.

It is really time to let that issue die. Carl Philip, the King and Queen and the Swedish people are not hanging on to it so perhaps you can let it go too.

The groom to be's side looks frightening.
Of course things were harder for V&D. She is the oldest child, it is always like that.
AND, she is the heir.

Random thoughts, observations and opinions:

Lovely as she is, Madeline did herself no favors with the dress she wore:

1. I'm not saying she should've shown up in a nun's habit, but it couldn't've hurt to've had more of her shoulders and neckline and collarbones covered, either.

I'm no prude, but that IS a church they were in, and I would've erred on the side of a bit more modesty, out of respect. If that were me and I just HAD to go there, I'd've probably had the top of the dress cut higher, so much less of my shoulders and whatnot wound up being exposed.

OK. So I'm an old fogey.

2. That shiny, WRINKLY fabric.

'Nuff said.

3. That peplum that'd been on a diet and was missing a chunk out of its center.

Wow.

4. And what was up with that flat bow towards the back of her head? That was about the size of her whole head? To just see that, it kind of struck me as though Maddie went out the door to her bedroom, made it partway down the stairs, then remembered she hadn't put anything at all in/on her hair. So she turned around, dashed back up the stairs and into her bedroom, grabbed the bow, swept her hair back on the one side, and jammed the bow into it.

What she DID get right was the color of the dress, I think.

Bravo for that!

QS: Liked it, generally. Wasn't doing cartwheels about the open top on her hat (didn't MT do something similar, recently?), but it could've been a WHOLE lot worse, I suppose. Overall, with a half-point off for the open top on the hat, I liked her outfit a lot, and, to me, she looked very queenly, and pretty.

OTOH . . .

Chris' mom?

Oh, boy.

I agree with a few of the board opinions that her hat looked like an upside-down, be-flowered flower pot. Her dress was too short, and I didn't really go nuts for the print on it. It was OK, but I'd not choose it to wear. Also, to me, her legs looked overly-tanned, and her knees looked kind of knobby. It couldn't've hurt to have lowered that hem at least a couple of inches, I think.

I DID like the coat over the outfit before she entered the church, though.

Chris' sister . . .

Well, the apple didn't fall too far from the tree with the upside-down, be-flowered flowerpot hat (and THOSE flowers had CLEARLY taken a hit or two of steroids!), the overly-tanned legs and the just-a-wee-tad-bit too short skirt.

Also, the first thing I thought when I saw the print on her dress was that it made me think of a green giraffe.

And, actually, if it came down to having to choose between the two, I'd take the print on her mom's dress, over hers.

Sofia.

OK.

Victoria?

THE WINNAH!!! Absolutely BEAUTIFUL from head to toe.

Chris?

Gotta give it to Maddie. He's a looker. But, then again, he's even MORE of a looker when he cuts loose with a big SMILE.

Sure do hope we see more of that from him at the wedding!

Just some random thoughts, observations, and MHO.

Chris' smile almost knocked me off my feet. What a difference it does for him. The ladies looked lovely with one or two exceptions but Victoria was a winner.

I seem to recall the King in his speech at the 2010 weddng saying that contrary to what was written he never had any objections to Daniel.

Could we expect anything less? The king knew that millions of people in Sweden and all over the world were watching him speaking. That he said that Daniel was very welcome to the family, was the least in that situation that he could do. The swedish press had written during the years so much negative articles about how the king treated Daniel.

It is clear that Chris' mother and sister don't know the concept of the understated scandinavian style, they were dressed more to Ascot. And about Chris, I like him much more when he doesn't smile.

Expressen's cover: "Sofia was allowed to use the family's private entrance"
Dagens Expressen | Expressen | Senaste nytt - Nyheter Sport Nöje TV
It is clear that Sofia has been spending a lot of time with the extended royal family, Patrick Sommerlath talked warmly with her while leaving the church and here she comes to the church with her hand on the shoulder of Patrick's son.
http://kuvakauppa.lehtikuva.fi/edoris?tem=dorismark&doc_id=7aa7d12067244112e7626eb1e456b9bd

Las amonestaciones prenupciales de Magdalena de Suecia y Chris O'Neill

Last edited:
There were some discussions going on during the time of the engagement/wedding of Prince Daniel and Princess Victoria with Daniel not being a suitable consort for Victoria. But I think that Daniel managed to prove the opposite on the day of the wedding and ever afterwards. I think that he coulnd't be a better prince and husband to Victoria than he is now already.

Let us see how Chris will manage things. He will have a much more lesser profile than Daniel has. So he will have more freedom to do what he wishes.

According to the blog of Aftonbladet's royal expert Jenny Alexandersson, princess Christina (Madeleine's godmother) was abroad yesterday and couldn't attend at the banns and reception. She returns to Sweden today.
Var var prinsessan Christina Hovbloggen

Sofia dress is not suitable for the ocassion, it is too flower summer time...a dress with no pattern will be mucht more suitable for the ocassion!

Also Louise was a big deception, black and more black...

It is clear that Chris' mother and sister don't know the concept of the understated scandinavian style, they were dressed more to Ascot.

Exactly what I thought when I saw the pictures. Chris' mother is dressed far too young for her age, the skirt is too short, the hat dead ugly.

I am quite disappointed by the event, I didn't like Madde's look, I like Chris being independent but it doesnt suit royalty.

Somehow the allover-impression for me was one of dysfunctionality. People are having to pull through this event and want to get over with it.

Sofia present - she always comes across to me as desperate, no matter how hard she tries, she'll never fit in. Completely ridiculous with her strange look-at-me smile but I am sure the Swedish Kings knwo what they are doing :sleep:

Sofia dress is not suitable for the ocassion, it is too flower summer time...a dress with no pattern will be mucht more suitable for the ocassion!

It is summer though- it was in season. I actually liked Sofia's look more than anyone else except Victoria.

I think that this should be a private event...until now it was all very disfunctional and it doesn't seam a royal event at all...Princess Madeleine was not living in Stockholm anymore, she is more like an American citizen...I think that they should be having an American private wedding in United States, that was a lot more suitable for her way of living now... she wants a royal wedding but within a few weeks she will be lining her upper Est side story in new York like a normal high class women...

On the other hand, princess Madeleine should have been heavily critizied here in Sweden if they had chosen to get married privately in the US.

I think that Madeleine and Chris will keep a low profile after the wedding, and not take part so much in the work of the royal house in Sweden. They'll probably come over here for big events like the Nobel Prize awards, but not much more. You can compare her role to the current king's sisters. You don't see them much in public (with the exception of Birgitta, who turns up now and then).

I think that this should be a private event...until now it was all very disfunctional and it doesn't seam a royal event at all...Princess Madeleine was not living in Stockholm anymore, she is more like an American citizen...I think that they should be having an American private wedding in United States, that was a lot more suitable for her way of living now... she wants a royal wedding but within a few weeks she will be lining her upper Est side story in new York like a normal high class women...

Princess Madeleine is a Swedish princess and this wedding is royal no matter what you think. As a Swede I have no problem with her living in the US and that certainly does not make her an American. There are enough royals to handle the royal duties in Sweden and Madeleine's involvement with World Childhood is fare more important than any ribbon cutting she could do in Sweden.

Question - who's paying for this wedding?

Last edited:
I'm rather surprised that Madeleine chose this shiny dress, the colour is nice but the dress isn't her style at all. It looks very much like Pär Engsheden dress.
http://media.shootitlive.com/H2m3wVRPmXLH8EqcXW7Omtsue9a/1200.jpg?project_id=aftonbladet/1365
The king and queen
http://media.shootitlive.com/X3fu7pcvJ5sJoy2xCOmwasjg5qT/1200.jpg?project_id=aftonbladet/1365
The speaker of the Parliament with his wife
http://media.shootitlive.com/TVPSYdZFQslQa7sfTizuTlIxpGh/1200.jpg?project_id=aftonbladet/1365
Sofia takes care of Patrick Sommerlath's twins, they are Carl Philip's and Madeleine's godchildren.
http://media.shootitlive.com/YPuJieMoBBuAuSGdeK3lE2RNmz8/1200.jpg?project_id=aftonbladet/1365
Victoria and Daniel
http://media.shootitlive.com/69MoL2KXuUtcZjUO9GWvmtfsead/1200.jpg?project_id=aftonbladet/1365

I wonder if the twins will be in the wedding. Victoria has her godchildren, and I don't recall hearing Maddie had any other godchildren.

The woman behind Sofia is holding the girls' hands in the pic. Is there another pic of Sofia with the girls

Too bad Emma's son is not a bit older. Love to see CP and Sofia's face, if he had been a little page boy

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom