Felipe & Letizia's Pre-Wedding Dinner / May 21st, 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
couls someone see any table seatings?

i have only seen with the photos

The king of sweden next to the queen of spain
Mette-marit next to Prince albert

could someone help out with more

what about Earl and Countess of Wessex? Prince Charles's brothers and his wife did attend for pre-wedding dinner and wedding?

Sara Boyce

Mathilde - best dress (it complimented her & she complimented it).
Martha Luise - 2nd best dress, smashing white colour.
Maria Teresa - nice dress, but lost against almost skin colour.

got to say all those black suits on the men looked very well tailored too. EA stole the show with his white cravat. Who in your opinion looked the best in this category ?

Letizia is definitely the star tonight! I also love what Rania, Maxima and Mette-Marit are wearing, they look beautiful. I don't really like what Princess Caroline is wearing..I usually love what she wears. :unsure: I think it would have been great to see Charlotte with her mom attending the wedding ;)

Is there a good pic of Princess Claire?

I really like Caroline's dress. It's too fashion

Does anyone know where can get to see a short clip of the event?
And didn't saw The Earl & Countess of wessex!! Are they there or the British RF had been represented by the Prince of wales Only?

The commentators on Swedish tv said that the Spanish press was critical to Victoria wearing trousers at the pre wedding dinner is this true
it was also mentioned in the Swedish papers the day after

Another surprising choice for Mathilde! I generally don't like her clothing choices, but she's come out in the past two weeks wearing more youthful dresses and they make her looks simply scrumptious!

I really liked Martha-another Royal who has really come out in the past two weeks and surprised me...her choice was less eclectic then normal, and she looked beautiful.

Maxima looked stunning, I like the purple color.

Madeleine looked great, although that dress has always been one of my favorites! But I didn't like her shoes, they were to shiny, and made her feet look much to large. Her sister, however, while the color was gorgeous on her, it was a pantsuit, and what was with the cape? Was she trying to be "Super Royal?" I did like Victoria's hair and make-up however!

Not a fan of Raina's dress...and it's looking like Raina is going to have some still competition in the "A strong gust of wind may blow me over" Royal competition...Leti is so tiny (although it fits better on her because she is short and skinny...Raina is to tall and it makes her look more unhealthy then beautiful!)

Originally posted by Britters@May 23rd, 2004 - 11:58 am
Her sister, however, while the color was gorgeous on her, it was a pantsuit, and what was with the cape? Was she trying to be "Super Royal?" I did like Victoria's hair and make-up however!
"Super Royal" :lol:

I wondered about the cape thing, too. Guess she wanted to be prepared in case she had to take off in a pinch to leap tall buildings?

The colour was lovely on Victoria but the pantsuit is questionable for such an event.

Originally posted by Josefine@May 23rd, 2004 - 8:53 am
The commentators on Swedish tv said that the Spanish press was critical to Victoria wearing trousers at the pre wedding dinner is this true
it was also mentioned in the Swedish papers the day after
The nerve of them. You could either wear a dress or trousers. It was a part of protocol.

Originally posted by Josefine@May 21st, 2004 - 11:16 pm
couls someone see any table seatings?

i have only seen with the photos

The king of sweden next to the queen of spain
Mette-marit next to Prince albert

could someone help out with more
Queen Silvia sat next to the bride´s father. On the other side of Albert was Princess Madeleine.

Dennism said:
Josefine said:
it was also  mentioned in the Swedish papers the day after
The nerve of them. You could either wear a dress or trousers. It was a part of protocol.

I don't think the Spanish press were wrong in their criticisms of Victoria wearing pants to the pre-wedding dinner. No other woman wore pants.

I know that you are biased towards Victoria, Dennism, but you have to agree that there was clearly a difference in what Victoria was wearing and what every other woman was wearing. Floor-length (for the most part) dresses, ball gown gowns, wide-brimming skirts on just about every royal lady one can name from the Infantas, Mathilde, Maxima, Laurentien (even if her outfit was less than stellar at least she got the dress code right) to Rania, Margrethe, Beatrix, etc.

Look at Victoria's own family: Mom Silvia was in a ball gown with a proper wrap and younger sister Madeline in a proper gown, too.

And if all else fails, you look at what your hosts are wearing: Letizia and Sofia both in floor-length gowns.

Victoria clearly errored in dress protocol here.

If it said that trousers were acceptable, I think they meant it for the men only.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Alexandria@May 23rd, 2004 - 1:06 pm

Victoria clearly errored in dress protocol here.

If it said that trousers were acceptable, I think they meant it for the men only.
I was not the biggest fan of what she wore. That being said, she looked just fine. Me? Biased? No, wait. I always say that. As for the trousers thing and not too be flippant about it, why would they note that the men should wear trousers? I mean it makes sense. But I wonder if they expected kilts and shorts then. But the wedding was toned down and she just followed that. But she toned down too much in the view of some people. I disagree. I wish that the wedding was not so toned down and that every woman wore a gown to it. But alas, they did not.

Originally posted by fola30@May 22nd, 2004 - 5:25 am
i saw queen noor on getty image she is wearing orang tradition dress look at her she is real muslim queen :heart: :flower: not like rania with her half naked dress like she isnt a muslim :sick: :sick: :sick:
What did you want Rania to wear - a Burkha???

She is a beautiful young woman and as it was an event in Europe she obviously felt, or was advised, to dress in the European fashion.

She is a beautiful young woman and as it was an event in Europe she obviously felt, or was advised, to dress in the European fashion.

Noor was NOT wearing a burkha. Rania has worn lovely dresses before that were in European fashion but this one was completely out of line. It was inappropriate for any wife of head of a state, much less a Muslim wife of a head of state.

Originally posted by madonna23@May 24th, 2004 - 8:28 am

Noor was NOT wearing a burkha. Rania has worn lovely dresses before that were in European fashion but this one was completely out of line. It was inappropriate for any wife of head of a state, much less a Muslim wife of a head of state.
Did I say Noor was wearing a Burkha???? NO.

The only thing I found inappropriate about Rania's gown was the colour. Her breasts weren't hanging out of it (or in no danger of becoming so), The skirt was long so we weren't given fanny flashes. The only bare flesh was her arms and neck. If this was inappropriate then so was Mdme Chirac's red dress when QEII visited Paris.

Did I say Noor was wearing a Burkha???? NO.

The only thing I found inappropriate about Rania's gown was the colour. Her breasts weren't hanging out of it (or in no danger of becoming so), The skirt was long so we weren't given fanny flashes. The only bare flesh was her arms and neck. If this was inappropriate then so was Mdme Chirac's red dress when QEII visited Paris.

I did not imply that you said Noor was wearing a burkha. I merely pointed that Noor - a Muslim queen - wore an appropriate dress that was not a burkha.

The dress is inappropriate because of the skin and style. (Mdme Chiriac's dress was completely unlike Rania's dress). Besides, this is a Queen of an Islamic monarchy. Perhaps if the Jordanian royals themselves did not make a big deal about them being descendants of the Prophet, then I seriously would not care what Rania wears. But the fact is that the JRF likes to point out every so often that they are Hashemites, and for that reason, it is hypocritical for Rania to wear the dress she did to the Pre-Wedding dinner.

Crown Princess Mathilde
Princess Martha Louisa
Grand Duchess Marie-Teresa

dresses it best beautiful and excellence

middle dress is

Crown Princess Mette-Marit
Princess Laurentine

Guys, ive noticed that you are referring to the Former Empress of Iran as Farah Diba....I think you should refer to her as Farah Pahlavi at least....if not Empress Farah...because she loved the shah very much and still uses the name Pahlavi...

Originally posted by Lord Williams@May 25th, 2004 - 4:41 pm
Guys, ive noticed that you are referring to the Former Empress of Iran as Farah Diba....I think you should refer to her as Farah Pahlavi at least....if not Empress Farah...because she loved the shah very much and still uses the name Pahlavi...
Well, she is no longer an empress and, moreover, traditionally Persian women (like their Spanish Counterparts) do not take the last name of their husbands. So Farah Diba is not incorrect.

Furthermore, she isn't just any Persian woman, she is the last Shabanou of Iran. Plus, you still call King Constantine...King Constantine, so I will refer to her as Empress Farah.

Furthermore, she isn't just any Persian woman, she is the last Shabanou of Iran. Plus, you still call King Constantine...King Constantine, so I will refer to her as Empress Farah.

Speaking of Farah Pahlavi or Farah Diba (whatever floats your boat) did you know Iran gave a condemnation of her and her son's attendance of the Spanish wedding? They said something along the lines of "Because she's no longer Empress, and what's more she was deposed along with her husband, she should no longer be allowed to attend these sort of events". Harsh, isn't it? Don't a lot of deposed royals continue attending weddings and such?

Yes they do. Who cares what the Islamic radical government says...who cares! She can do what she wants...one day we can just hope for an Iran with the Shah back...

Originally posted by Lord Williams@May 25th, 2004 - 10:34 pm
Yes they do. Who cares what the Islamic radical government says...who cares! She can do what she wants...one day we can just hope for an Iran with the Shah back...
Well, if you know your history, you will know that the Shah was no better than the Mullahs. He was a corrupt , brutal dictator, who was put in place by the CIA. A good recent book on the sujbect is "All the Shah's Men".

Back
Top Bottom