Roles within the Spanish Royal Family after King Juan Carlos' Abdication

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

royal-blue

Courtier
City
Balmoral
Country
United Kingdom
Obviously the SRF has a much smaller number of members than the British RF, and engagements are not carried out in the same way, but what does the future hold for the new King's parents and siblings? Will they still appear in public in the same way, or are they more likely to fade into the background? Clearly the SRF won't be a two-person show, but how much familial support will they require?

I believe that patronages for members will not change significantly. At least not for Infanta Elena and Queen Sofia. Cristina could do the whole family a favor and stay in Switzerland until all the court stuff is over. I'm still not sure if we will see King Juan Carlos a whole lot after the abdication/ceremony. This will for sure be an interesting transition. Can't wait to see who stays on in the employee of the new King. I have a thought on that too......King Felipe and Queen Letizia will clean house.

I think IMO that Juan Carlos will pretty much dissapear from public view (maybe more private hunting trips ;-) !!!) Clearly to start with there will be 6elipe and Letizia but their girls aren't old enough to support them, given we've haleard that Elena and Cristina will no longer be official members of royal house I suspect sofia will be the main support for them with Elen picking up a small number of duties that relate to any patronages she has. I suspect that Cristina will dissapear from view as much as possible as she has done now (tbh since the news of the abdication I've suspected that there maybe some major news about Cristina in the future!).
By the time Sofia is at 'retirement" the new Princess of Asturias will likely be of an age she can take on a little bit more.

tommy100 = I believe you have a good handle on what SHOULD be done. I hope that the Spanish "black suits" allow new King to set up his own advisors, etc. The next few years in Spain will certainly be something to watch in detail. Here's hoping for a wonderful recovery to a special country with new King.

I believe that patronages for members will not change significantly. At least not for Infanta Elena and Queen Sofia. Cristina could do the whole family a favor and stay in Switzerland until all the court stuff is over. I'm still not sure if we will see King Juan Carlos a whole lot after the abdication/ceremony. This will for sure be an interesting transition. Can't wait to see who stays on in the employee of the new King. I have a thought on that too......King Felipe and Queen Letizia will clean house.

Cleaning house would be good way to start! Letizia has appeared more relaxed to me since the King abdicated than ever before, and I would bet this is why.

Cleaning house would be good way to start! Letizia has appeared more relaxed to me since the King abdicated than ever before, and I would bet this is why.

I completely agree about her being more relaxed.

I think that she's more relaxed because finally the king's decision to abdicate was finally made known! Imagine, knowing that for the past 5 months and what was going on behind the scenes to ensure a smooth transition. I still think that there was more to this abdication than meets the eye...time will tell! I posted a link to an article in the abdication thread which states that the government will ensure immunity for King Juan Carlos after his abdication. One wonders why he requires that kind of immunity when he will no longer be king! He has made sure that his a$$ is covered...that's for sure!

As for F&L cleaning house...well, there's an old saying - Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Those people who have worked for the king for years know a lot about the royal family! F&L are going to have to be very careful about ruffling feathers!

It is inevitably that things change... first because the head changes, and belongs to another generation and has a personality and a different way of working.

Zarzuela was for many years militarized, after diplomats began to replace some military ... but for example there are no women in any important position, and that for Spanish society in the XXI century is hardly acceptable.

Then there is the issue of age... there are people working in Zarzuela exceeding the statutory retirement age, but have remained at the wish of king and queen, and now probably retire. Others will follow in the coming years .

In essence little will change at the Spanish Court, apart for a new, more transparent style and more openness. But regarding the royal family: remember that only around the end of the 1980's the three children of King Juan Carlos started to take part in official duties. Before that they were studying or were in the armed forces.

Already since the re-introduction of the monarchy, the Royal Court was very small: the King and the Queen, and their three small children. So now and then the parents and the sisters of the King were in the picture. From the beginning on Queen Sofía kept the old structures away: there was no new role for the Spanish aristocracy. Old traditional functions in the Royal Household, like Dames du Palais or Chamberlains were not re-introduced. With all possible criticism the Spaniards have on their royal family, they often seem not realize how lean and mean, how compact and how well-organized their Royal House actually is, compared with other European monarchies...

Any news about the new apanage situation?
Will the old Kings contimue to receive apanage? Or just represntation fees?

I believe the King receives one budget for the workings of the Royal House (a very modest budget, comparable with Luxembourg...) and distributes this within the members of his House. There is some fixation within this budget, the King around € 230.000 and the Heir around € 130.000. It is expected that the Budget will remain the same but that -naturally- the distribution will change as the Heir is just a little child and there is a former King now.

As for F&L cleaning house...well, there's an old saying - Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Those people who have worked for the king for years know a lot about the royal family! F&L are going to have to be very careful about ruffling feathers!

Well, if you are working for the Royal Family, the first Thing you are Doping is signing a Non-Disclosure Agreement..... this means: I am NOT ALLOWED to talk about what has happened during the years of working relationship....
(Although I know, that some servants in the UK wrote their books anyway or sold some stories to the press)
BYe Bine

My guess is that JC will fade into the Background and spend Time Outside Spain,possibly with Corinna. Felipe is Not only a Mamas Boy but he will also Need Sofia for continuing her Events and Add to the Reputation of the New srf with her Reputation and Standing,Sofia is still popular and Respected. Leonor and Sofia jr will Not Become working members for another 15 years.

Are the new King's siblings now viewed as minor royals?

:previous:
I know it's off topic, but just for clarificaition, tommy:
Infanta Elena won't give up her good causes, in fact it was announced that she will be taking the workload off the Princess of Asturias til she is of age and perform her duties.
I am so happy about this. I always personally liked Elena and know she will be a great asset in helping young Princess of Asturias. To me she always had kind eyes.

Thanks! I find this hard to believe to be honest since Elena is no longer a member of the royal family and not even able to keep up her own agenda for the royal house. To me it makes more sense that F&L cover for Leonor until she gets old enough to do her own events.

At least she has a role covering for Leonor- who I assume won't take on duties until she is fully finished her studies. In this day and age, she might not be done until her mid-20's.

But it is too bad that the SRF operates on these technicalities.

At least she has a role covering for Leonor- who I assume won't take on duties until she is fully finished her studies. In this day and age, she might not be done until her mid-20's.

Officially or not, I think Elena will carry out the role of the lead supporting royal. Outside of F&L, and possibly Queen Sofia, Elena will be the most active royal. She will conduct a range of engagements on behalf of the crown.

Officially or not, I think Elena will carry out the role of the lead supporting royal. Outside of F&L, and possibly Queen Sofia, Elena will be the most active royal. She will conduct a range of engagements on behalf of the crown.

I find it hard to believe that Elena, whose events will not be covered any longer from casareal, will respresent Infanta Leonor, the future heiress to the crown.

Sorry, off topic, maybe a moderator can move this discussion to
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...-after-king-juan-carlos-abdication-37046.html

I find it hard to believe that Elena, whose events will not be covered any longer from casareal, will respresent Infanta Leonor, the future heiress to the crown.

Sorry, off topic, maybe a moderator can move this discussion to
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...-after-king-juan-carlos-abdication-37046.html
Princess of Asturias should start combining engagements and school. Crown Prince Moulay Hassan of Morroco has been doing it for some time. He alongside his parents and sister participated in state banquets and undertook various solo engagements.

Last edited:
Leonor? at 8y old doind official duties? too young i think. CP of Belgium is doing, but she is much older, the Pcs of Orange also.

Leonor could be introduced to official duties when she is 10. She is Crown Princess. King Felipe and Queen Letizia have to pick up slack meanwhile. If Infanta Elena wishes to help, it would be nice. European royals mollycoddle their children too much.

Last edited:
Leonor could be introduced to official duties when she is 10. She is Crown Princess. King Felipe and Queen Letizia have to pick up slack meanwhile. If Infanta Elena wishes to help, it would be nice. European royals mollycoddle their children too much.

No, they try to give the gift of childhood, something you cannot go back and do. Children have the right to be children. 8 or 10 they are children. Stealing a childhood is the worst thing you can do. I do not know how old the prince you refer to is, but forcing a child or having an adult having to sit next to him for the evening at an official dinner is ludicrous. European Royals are trying to raise healthy, normal happy children.

Crown Prince Moulay Hassan of Morocco was born in 2003. He appears to have a happy normal childhood and carries official duties.

Last edited:
Leonor? at 8y old doind official duties? too young i think. CP of Belgium is doing, but she is much older, the Pcs of Orange also.

But there is a difference between the three Crown Princesses. Elisabeth and Amalia have appeared in public much more then Leonor so far. Even before their fathers became King ... And their "duties" were not that serious, no military parades or state banquets ;-)

It's quite interessting to see how the "old" Kings JC and Albert and Queen/Princess Beatrix are doing in their royal retirement. It seems that Princess Beatrix is still very busy ...

It's quite interessting to see how the "old" Kings JC and Albert and Queen/Princess Beatrix are doing in their royal retirement. It seems that Princess Beatrix is still very busy ...

Princess Beatrix had no plans to retire after she abdicated, and I do hope that Queen Sofia continues with her official duties.

No, they try to give the gift of childhood, something you cannot go back and do. Children have the right to be children. 8 or 10 they are children. Stealing a childhood is the worst thing you can do. I do not know how old the prince you refer to is, but forcing a child or having an adult having to sit next to him for the evening at an official dinner is ludicrous. European Royals are trying to raise healthy, normal happy children.

No one is saying Leonor should sit next to dignitaries at hours long state banquets and swirl champagne but starting with fun, creative thing's like zoo openings, child related causes, tree planting's and the like while mixing it up with more serious affairs once in awhile to get her feet wet and working up from their is a smart idea. Letting her play all the time , have no responsibility or exposure to her role and shoving her in to the spot light with expectations at 18 is a recipe for trouble.

I have to agree with this. As much as I love to see them, I personally think that making royal children perform similar engagements to their parents is a bit much. As you have said, they should have time to enjoy their childhood as it's probably one of the happiest times of one's life. At the end of the day, Leonor is eight years old and at that age, long events/events with not much action or playtime can be boring. I personally think that Leonor will start to accompany her parents on engagements when she is eleven or twelve years old, and start to undertake engagements herself when she's eighteen or so. Oh and just FYI, Prince Moulay Hassan is 11.

As for the other Spanish Royals, I think we'll be seeing a lot more of Elena because I heard in another thread that she is currently acting as Princess of Asturias since Leonor is still young. (Or something similar to that.) I think Cristina and her family will completely fade away from the spotlight. Queen Sofia will spend more time in Geneva with them (Cristina, Inaki and children) whilst Juan Carlos will only take part in certain events like official banquets and possibly state visits - basically official events in which the whole family is required to attend.

No one is saying Leonor should sit next to dignitaries at hours long state banquets and swirl champagne but starting with fun, creative thing's like zoo openings, child related causes, tree planting's and the like while mixing it up with more serious affairs once in awhile to get her feet wet and working up from their is a smart idea. Letting her play all the time , have no responsibility or exposure to her role and shoving her in to the spot light with expectations at 18 is a recipe for trouble.

But the little Prince whom Al_bina was talking about (Moulay Hassan of Morocco) does undertake engagements such as official dinners and visits. And I take it that he or she meant that Leonor should perform similar engagements to him. I once saw a video of him visiting soldiers and signing a visitors' book (or something similar to that), which is something that only the older royals in Europe would do.
I do agree though, it would be nice if we could see Leonor and maybe Sofia at engagements that are suitable for children, a bit like what Victoria and Daniel are doing with Estelle in Sweden.

Last edited:
As for the other Spanish Royals, I think we'll be seeing a lot more of Elena because I heard in another thread that she is currently acting as Princess of Asturias since Leonor is still young. (Or something similar to that.)

It hasn't been said in any official statement that Elena will be doing duties of the Princess of Asturias because she is so young, it was just written to this forum by some person.

Lenore and Sofia looked terrified when the crowds cheered and shouted. I would love to see them exposed in "on the balcony" type events when they can get there feet wet so to speak. Both children, while behaving impeccably, were demonstratively unprepared for the gravity, the enormity and the sheer number of people and the sound of crowds. All credit to Letizia for keeping such a close eye on them and soothing their fears. She seemed particularly concerned about Leonore, Sofia being to young to understand what was happening was actually more relaxed. So perhaps Letizia will change things around a little to facilitate the needs of the new royal family.

I remember the look on the reaction of the Duchess of Cambridge when they opened the balcony doors she and William stepped out and the crowd roared. She looked like a deer in the headlights for a moment there, and she is a grown woman. Lady Louise is almost a verteran and who could forget the frown and hands over the ears of the little flower girl. And the crowd was at a distance.

I like the way Victoria and Daniel are handling Estelle. No big occasions barring a family baptism but she's there on her mother's name day and on their national holiday. The idea is to create a feeling of safety while giving everyone else a little glimpse of the child without overwhelming them.

The same thing is happening with the Princesses of the Netherlands and also to a lesser extent the Danish CP family children and those of the Belgium royal family.

European Royals are trying to raise healthy, normal happy royal children. That is their reality after all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom