Princess Madeleine's Internship at UNICEF in New York: January-June 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gita said:
Nothing will be announced until the last minute, partly due to security reasons. It would be good for Princess Madeleine to get a real job - it will be good life experince for her and a chance to see and live in the real world. Plus the opportunity to live like a normal person, excellent for character building.

Yes, you are right in that points. But on the other hand sometimes it seems to me that she tries to run away a little bit from her background. Some weeks ago she said that she would like to represent Sweden, but she has not many duties so far. If she stays in NY than she will probably find another internship at a charity-organisation or something, but real official duties? Well, to be honestly: I would like to see her returning to Sweden and do more official duties. Only my opinion.

biboquinhas said:
Why is Jonas with her? Does he work there also? How can he afford the costs? Does she pays for all????
Jonas isnt exactly poor so he could very well pay for himself, but my guess is that Madeleine (= the king and queen) pays. They did the same thing when Victorias best friend Caroline Svedin lived and went to Yale with Victoria in late 90´s

Jonas works at a law firm, so I suppose he gets a salary

Sesam. I fully understand and appreciate what you are saying about Princess Madeleine performing more public duties and yes at times I've got the impression she does not like the limelight. However she will only be 24 in 12 days time and if she does dedicate many years of her life as an ambassdor to Sweden then I don't see a problem with her remaining in New York until 2007. After all what is an extra few months away from home doing the things that she enjoys out of life when she will spend much of it performing Royal duties?

I would prefer that Madeleine comes back after her NYC stint and stay in Sweden for a little and do more official dutes. Alas, I am not Madeleine so I can't make that decision! :D If she were to go back to NYC, I think it's best that she does it now while she's young and has a lot of opportunities available to her. Once Victoria becomes Queen, I think it is Madeleine's duty to Sweden to come back and work as a member of the Royal Family until Victoria has kids old enough to start taking over.

By the way, I really like that white shirt on her and Madeleine has still got a soft spot for headbands! :)

Gita said:
Sesam. I fully understand and appreciate what you are saying about Princess Madeleine performing more public duties and yes at times I've got the impression she does not like the limelight. However she will only be 24 in 12 days time and if she does dedicate many years of her life as an ambassador to Sweden then I don't see a problem with her remaining in New York until 2007.

Oh, I think she did say something to that effect - that sometimes, she just wants to lead a quiet life. But, as a Princess, she can't avoid duties even if she wants to. CP Victoria, on the other hand, indeed is more comfortable with public duties. She said she never stops thinking about the job entrusted to her, being Sweden's future queen. But right now, as CP she only undertakes the duties that she truly likes and a palace spokesperson said that her duties are what she chooses them to be. Madeleine seems to be most independent among the siblings, maybe that's why she shows a degree of "reluctance" on official duties. I hope to see more of her, though.

Anyone knows what exactly she does at UNICEF as an intern? Does she intend to follow through on her internship and work with UNICEF or on children's issues?

Last edited:
Gita said:
Sesam. I fully understand and appreciate what you are saying about Princess Madeleine performing more public duties and yes at times I've got the impression she does not like the limelight. However she will only be 24 in 12 days time and if she does dedicate many years of her life as an ambassdor to Sweden then I don't see a problem with her remaining in New York until 2007. After all what is an extra few months away from home doing the things that she enjoys out of life when she will spend much of it performing Royal duties?

Well, of course she's young and should enjoy her life. And you are right that a few extra months in NY wouldn't hurt. But she is also a very well known person and therefore I think that she should use her publicity to do something useful. Her internship at UNICEF is surely a good thing, but no one knows what she is doing there exactly. So my wish is that she starts soon doing more serious duties. In my opinion being member of a Royal House includes duties and not only enjoying the advantages of being rich and wellknown (otherwise it might have been difficult to get an internship at UNICEF).:rolleyes:

sesam said:
Well, of course she's young and should enjoy her life. And you are right that a few extra months in NY wouldn't hurt. But she is also a very well known person and therefore I think that she should use her publicity to do something useful. Her internship at UNICEF is surely a good thing, but no one knows what she is doing there exactly. So my wish is that she starts soon doing more serious duties. In my opinion being member of a Royal House includes duties and not only enjoying the advantages of being rich and wellknown (otherwise it might have been difficult to get an internship at UNICEF).:rolleyes:

I agree, I don't think it helps though that Victoria is so dedicated to her duties. It just highlights the fact that Madeline is quite lacking in that department.

I agree that Madeleine should try and act a little bit more serious about her duties but I just wanted to point out that Victoria is five years older than Madeleine and has been bred to be a Crown Princess ever since she was a baby. I think if Madeleine is going to get some heat about not being dedicated to her duties then Carl Philip should be treated the same. I like Carl Philip and he's very handsome :D but I don't think he looks particularly thrilled at the official events he goes to and he doesn't have that many either. He's been in the navy and at university and Madeleine's been at university and UNICEF. So, while I would prefer if Madeleine came back to Sweden and stayed and continued her royal duties with a happy heart that's ultimately her decision.

Last edited:
There are the King, Queen, CP Victoria, P. Lilian and P. Christina doing royal duties in Sweden. I applaud Madeleine for staying in NY (if that is what she will be doing). It is most likely not for ever but rather a short term intership for her boyfriend. They should enjoy being young and having no other responsibilities other than themselves. The time will come when more serious activities will be the order of the day.

I think when the days comes Princess Madeleine will dedicate herself immensley to her role at a member of the royal family and it will shock us all. But it is important not to push her until she is ready.

That is what I am trying to say. That is why I think it won't do any harm if she stays in the USA until 2007 because once she is doing officla engagments I do believe she will work hard. I am sure Princess Madeleine will put to good use the skills and knowledge she is aquiring at UNICEF.

Last edited by a moderator:
Little_star said:
I agree, I don't think it helps though that Victoria is so dedicated to her duties. It just highlights the fact that Madeline is quite lacking in that department.

But we have to remember that she is a young lady and probably doesn't take her durites as seriously as Victoria or her parents at this point in time in her life because she is busy with other things in her life, like many other people her age. I'm sure that when she becomes a little older, she will take her royal duties more seriously. People mature at different stages.

Last edited:
PreDoc said:
What are her duties?

Well, it depends. Usually her presence is mandatory at Nobel, National Day, Victoria's birthdayand her father's birthday (and her mother's?) each year unless she is out of the country such as in 2001 when she missed Nobel because she was in London. This year even though she was in NYC, she came back to Sweden because her father's 60th birthday was just too big to miss! :) Since she is patron of "My Big Day" she usually has a couple commitments for that each year. She also visits her duchys once in awhile and I think every other year she takes part in rewarding the "Science Achievement Award" (or something like that). There's also some random events that she attends. Hope that helps.

Thank you soCal girl! :)

Is she not attending national holidays, family birthdays, a couple of charitable commitments and other random events each year?

If so, I'm astonished! That's little more than a week's worth of "work" ... is this why some have mentioned that she is not serious about her duties?

sesam said:
There is an article in Expressen today which says that Madeleine wants to return to New York after spending the summer in Sweden, because she found a new anonymous life there. There is also a new photo of her and Jonas.
You find it here: http://www.expressen.se/index.jsp?a=597900

another photo from billetbladet

ps. Jonas really likes put a sweater over her back, huh? :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom