Princess Madeleine, Chris O'Neill & Family, General News Part 3: Sept 2017 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who urges the court to give such a statement, that Chris can basically work from everywhere knowing fully well about the controversy to move away from sweden to london, to florida.... usually citing Chris' work circumstances as reason.
If you dont have anything meaningful to say better say nothing!
but by far not the First time for the swedish court to do so.

Expressen's royal expert Karin Lennmor writes at her chronicle

Madeleine's price for life with Chris
The very best both birthday and Christmas present for Queen Silvia was to bring home youngest daughter Princess Madeleine and her family from America.
And at least equally happy Madeleine herself seems to be.
She tells how important she thinks it is to let the children experience a real Swedish Christmas, preferably with snow…
Madeleine wants her three children to get part of the Swedish Christmas traditions, to feel the same excitement and expectation of Santa Claus, as she herself did as little.
Then Christmas was always celebrated at home at Drottningholm Palace, nowadays they alternate and this year Christmas is also celebrated with the whole family at home at Victoria at Haga.
Of course, there is sometimes tug of war between the families. The other year, Madeleine and Chris were absent from the Swedish celebration because Grandma Eva O'Neill wanted to meet them.
This year, it is the Swedish royal couple's turn and the queen gets to spend time with those "little popcorns", which she so sweetly called Leonore, Nicolas and Adrienne the other day.
Many miss Princess Madeleine in Sweden, and she certainly has to pay a high price. Three moves within the space of a few years, it was only five months since she and Chris moved to the latest destination Florida.
If Madeleine were to choose for herself, she would most likely stay in Sweden, but sometimes you have to compromise. Chris is said to have had problems with his businesses in London, and the threat of Brexit has not made it better.
Now, the family has a good life in Florida, Madeleine told to Expressen this autumn.
Sun, bath and luxury life must have their advantages, but it is no secret that Madeleine has the homesickness, she has previously told to Expressen.
Sometimes the longing for Sweden, friends, nature and above all her mother is very big.
Luckily, Silvia came and visited in the US just a few weeks ago.
KARIN LENNMOR_ Madeleines pris för livet med Chris

I've noticed the narrative of good her vs evil siblings a long with the BRF. George V good, Alber Victor was evil and thankfully died. It goes on down to William and Harry.

I don't see a "good sibling, bad sibling" dynamic with William and Harry. Either both get a good press, or they are both criticized for "not doing enough" or being "underqualified" for the job.

In Sweden, I think the press and many Swedish citizens (at least the ones I know and interact with professionally) seem to idealize CP Victoria as this model heir to the throne, although I am aware she got some rough press too as a teenager and a young adult. The criticism aimed at Madeleine is not so much a "bad sibling" situation, but a feeling that she turned her back on Sweden without giving up her perks and status as a member of the Royal House. I am not saying that is entirely true, but it seems to me that many people see it that way.

Last edited:
I don't see a "good sibling, bad sibling" dynamic with William and Harry. Either both get a good press, or they are both criticized for "not doing enough" or being "underqualified" for the job.

In Sweden, I think the press and many Swedish citizens (at least the ones I know and interact with professionally) seem to idealize CP Victoria as this model heir to the throne, although I am aware she got some rough press too as a teenager and a young adult. The criticism aimed at Madeleine is not so much a "bad sibling" situation, but a feeling that she turned her back on Sweden without giving up her perks and status as a member of the Royal House. I am not saying that is entirely true, but it seems to me that many people see it that way.

I agree with all of this. And articles such as the previously cited ones don't really contradict that narrative. Either the move to Florida was necessary for Chris's job, or he can work remotely wherever he chooses. And, if he can work remotely, with perhaps some travel, and Madeleine is homesick, what are they doing in Florida? So the overall effect is that they are choosing to stay away from Sweden, and only showing up in Sweden when it suits them. Fairly or unfairly, I can see how some people are reading the circumstances in a slightly cynical way. It also ends up looking as though either Chris is the bad guy who doesn't want to live in Sweden, or Madeleine is just doing the bits and pieces of being a princess that suit her.

I agree with all of this. And articles such as the previously cited ones don't really contradict that narrative. Either the move to Florida was necessary for Chris's job, or he can work remotely wherever he chooses. And, if he can work remotely, with perhaps some travel, and Madeleine is homesick, what are they doing in Florida? So the overall effect is that they are choosing to stay away from Sweden, and only showing up in Sweden when it suits them. Fairly or unfairly, I can see how some people are reading the circumstances in a slightly cynical way. It also ends up looking as though either Chris is the bad guy who doesn't want to live in Sweden, or Madeleine is just doing the bits and pieces of being a princess that suit her.

I thought one of the issues for Chris with doing business if living in Sweden was having to have his business open to public scrutiny and being legally required to disclose certain information. I wouldn't want to do it either in his line of work.
I think the family has a lot more privacy in Florida than they ever did in New York City, London or even Sweden.

The Press releases for the SRF too often seem very awkward.:sad:

Last edited:

I agree with both points here. Victoria has a crowd that idolises everything about her - how she dresses, what she does, her children... everything. She can do nothing wrong. Even if there isn't a clear case of good/bad sibling, it's impossible for Carl Philip and Madeleine and their families to even compare to Victoria. I don't think that's fair. They have different roles, and they are different people.

My main problem with Madeleine isn't the question about titles and succession. It's the inconsistency. I want to know what to expect. If they want to stay in the US and just come home to Sweden for the National day in june and nobel in december, I'm fine with that. If she moves back here and take on more royal duties, that's also great. If they move back to London - fine.

But I'm really tired of this inconsistency. Let us know what to expect. Give us a clear path ahead, and follow it. Both for her and the kids.I actually think that most people here would appreciate that.

IA- the articles don’t do anyone any favors really. It’s easy to put a negative slant on everything.

I think there’s a huge difference between working remotely here and there for a few weeks and always working remotely. Working remotely is getting more and more common- but there are plenty of work environments where that only really works on an occasional basis. Not as a permanent thing.

Maybe Chris doesn’t want to live in Sweden. (Who knows, honestly.) I’m not sure how that makes him look bad if that is the case. If it’s not his idea of home for whatever reasons, that’s okay. Considering that they met when both were living in NYC, it’s not a shock if that’s the case. I’m sure he and Madeline talked through living arrangement issues years ago. No surprise that Madeline would miss family/her home country. But- I would assume she’s happy with the current situation. She can miss home and be happy with where she is at the same time.

There’s always the possibility that this is mainly a money issue. Florida has no state tax on income. And luxury housing in Florida is more affordable than in New York or London.

Expressen's royal expert Karin Lennmor about Madeleine's happiness now when she is in Sweden.

On every picture we have seen on the princess in the last weeks you can see how it shines from her, how happy our princess is over to celebrate the holidays at home together with family and friends.
Madeleine has told how good she and the family have it in Florida, that the children have come to terms and that life is stabilizing.
But when it comes to big weekends, then Madeleine wants to be close to the family, siblings and Leonore, Nicolas and Adrienne's little cousins. Madeleine feels safe and happy with the old family traditions.
Madeleine and her family came to Sweden a week before Christmas Eve. So nice for a large family to just move in at the Royal Mews among their own stuff, clothes and toys, instead of having to stay at a hotel or at Silvia and the king at Drottningholm.
For more than four years, Madeleine and the family have lived in a large floor at the Royal Mews. Despite all moving between New York, London and Miami, this is a safe and solid point for Madeleine. The apartment has 5 rooms and kitchen and before they moved in, it was completely renovated for SEK 6.8 million. New doors were inserted, the floors were polished and the rumor says there are 21 wardrobes!
Here Madeleine thrives, it is near the water and Djurgården, and near her and Chris's favorite restaurants: Teatergrillen, Riche and Strandvägen 1.
Madeleine, Chris and the children will stay in Sweden for several weeks. And Madeleine wants to take advantage of the time, especially with the family. It is important to let her children keep up with the cousins. And of course Madeleine also wants to meet her friends.
Sometimes Madeleine and the family go skiing on the Christmas and New Year holidays, but that probably won't be this year. Adrienne is too small, family and friends attract more.
Despite the lovely, sunny and easy-going life in Miami ... the heart is probably still here at home in Sweden.
Prinsessan Madeleines och Chris O'Neils julfirande i Sverige
Translation

Stoppa pressarna reveals that Madeleine was denied a visa to the United States.
Madeleine and Chris are soon ready to return to the US - but the trip home has suffered from complications.
Stoppa pressarna can now reveal that Princess Madeleine was denied a visa to the United States. When the trip home was planned, it was clear that she would not get into the US - even though she is married to an American citizen.
The visa inconvenience became quickly an embarrassing diplomatic affair and the royal house was forced to take help from the Ministry for Foreign Affairs to sort it out.
- The court contacted the Ministry for Foreign Affairs, which had to step in. One might think that it is a little embarrassing when a Swedish princess happens to have such a mishap, our informant tells us.
According to the information given to Stoppa pressarna, the problem with the visa is now over.
Prinsessan Madeleine nekad visum till USA _ Stoppa Pressarna

What? Didn't she sort out her visa before she moved to the States?

Normally, she should have had a spousal (H4) visa before moving and no issues would arise at this time unless she changed her visa to a different type while in the States. In that case she would have to go for another visa interview when first leaving the Ststes after obtaining the new visa (if she was indeed trying to change her visa -so she might work- that could be a reason not to leave the US in the last few months). Nonetheless, to be denied a visa, she must have messed up her interview completely and most likely applied for an inappropriate visa.

Of course, things might be slightly different when having a diplomatic passport but the above would be the most likely case for a 'normal citizen'.

Stoppa pressarna reveals that Madeleine was denied a visa to the United States.
Madeleine and Chris are soon ready to return to the US - but the trip home has suffered from complications.
Stoppa pressarna can now reveal that Princess Madeleine was denied a visa to the United States. When the trip home was planned, it was clear that she would not get into the US - even though she is married to an American citizen.
The visa inconvenience became quickly an embarrassing diplomatic affair and the royal house was forced to take help from the Ministry for Foreign Affairs to sort it out.
- The court contacted the Ministry for Foreign Affairs, which had to step in. One might think that it is a little embarrassing when a Swedish princess happens to have such a mishap, our informant tells us.
According to the information given to Stoppa pressarna, the problem with the visa is now over.
Prinsessan Madeleine nekad visum till USA _ Stoppa Pressarna

It is extremely odd that she has been denied a visa to enter the US. I wonder what she did to be denied.

It will be also embarrassing if it transpires that she got special treatment to sort out her visa problem because of her royal status.

It is extremely odd that she has been denied a visa to enter the US. I wonder what she did to be denied.

It will be also embarrassing if it transpires that she got special treatment to sort out her visa problem because of her royal status.

Given that she has been in Sweden for less than 2 weeks... If this all happened since she went back to Sweden she most likely had her interview last week. That implies that she did get special treatment because normally you would have to apply again and go through the full process again and that takes weeks if not months, not days (including weekends and official holidays).

Or it could be some officious buffoon at the immigration office had a quota of white people that needed to be denied visas to show they were not being discriminatory under our current administration’s immigration rules and Madeleine was chosen at random for some minor reason.

It would be embarrassing to that person in the White House that a princess was denied a visa if that happened.

Last edited:
I don't believe political at all, just paperwork that needed to be done and was overlooked. Happens to the best of us.

Given that she has been in Sweden for less than 2 weeks... If this all happened since she went back to Sweden she most likely had her interview last week. That implies that she did get special treatment because normally you would have to apply again and go through the full process again and that takes weeks if not months, not days (including weekends and official holidays).

Your previous post actually raised some interesting questions. Foreign citizens who hold diplomatic or other kind of official passports AFAIK normally have a so-called ‘A’ visa, which is associated with a particular “tour of duty”, I.e. an official mission on behalf of his/her government.

Princess Madeleine obviously is not living in the US as a diplomatic representative of Sweden, nor is she on any official mission on behalf of the Swedish government. Could she have a “non-diplomatic” visa ( for example, the “ spouse visa” you mentioned) on her Swedish diplomatic passport, or did she have to get another regular Swedish passport for that ?

Also, assuming Madeleine is going to settle in the US for good, will she consider becoming a US citizen in the future ? How would that affect her constitutional position in Sweden ? I recall that , when a title for Chris was being discussed, the Court Marshal.mentioned that members of the Royal House must be Swedish citizens. Does Swedish law allow dual citizenship or would Madeleine lose her Swedish citizenship if she is naturalized in the US ?

Stoppa Pressarna is a super tabloid on the level of the National Enquirer, aka they just make things up.

I doubt there is much, if any truth to this story at all.

Also, assuming Madeleine is going to settle in the US for good, will she consider becoming a US citizen in the future ? How would that affect her constitutional position in Sweden ? I recall that , when a title for Chris was being discussed, the Court Marshal.mentioned that members of the Royal House must be Swedish citizens. Does Swedish law allow dual citizenship or would Madeleine lose her Swedish citizenship if she is naturalized in the US ?

Swedish (and US) law does allow for dual citizenship.

Stoppa Pressarna is a super tabloid on the level of the National Enquirer, aka they just make things up.

Then we will find out soon enough, because this story involves the court intervening with a ministry what makes this whole issue more than just Madeleine's private affair.

The court usually comments on the most absurd things, therefore I believe that if we don't hear anything from the court, the story is true.

[-][/-]

Agree with you, Katiebird :flowers: Stoppa pressarna make things up and create scandals out of nothing. They can take something totally innocent as e.g passport expiration approching or some paperwork that needs to be filled...and show its as some big and tragic event. After all -- tabloids must sell scandals, normality won't sell :ermm:
....and just because the court won't comment on some gossip...it does not make these true stories!!

Last edited:
Your previous post actually raised some interesting questions. Foreign citizens who hold diplomatic or other kind of official passports AFAIK normally have a so-called ‘A’ visa, which is associated with a particular “tour of duty”, I.e. an official mission on behalf of his/her government.

Princess Madeleine obviously is not living in the US as a diplomatic representative of Sweden, nor is she on any official mission on behalf of the Swedish government. Could she have a “non-diplomatic” visa ( for example, the “ spouse visa” you mentioned) on her Swedish diplomatic passport, or did she have to get another regular Swedish passport for that ?

I went to learn more with an internet search and we have our very own passport thread here at TRF: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f161/diplomatic-passports-of-the-royals-37682.html.

[-][/-]

Agree with you, Katiebird :flowers: Stoppa pressarna make things up and create scandals out of nothing. They can take something totally innocent as e.g passport expiration approching or some paperwork that needs to be filled...and show its as some big and tragic event. After all -- tabloids must sell scandals, normality won't sell :ermm:
....and just because the court won't comment on some gossip...it does not make these true stories!!

In addition to their own news, Stoppa pressarna quotes often also articles from Svensk Damtidning, and Expressen and Aftonbladet. Not just only the articles in the worst gossip magazines. Stoppa pressarna's publisher is Daniel Nyhlén, who has worked in among other things in Svensk Damtidning and Aftonbladet and been a program host on TV4.
During the years at Aftonbladet, Daniel Nyhlén worked as court and celebrity reporter, mainly followed the royal family, politicians and international celebrities.
The successes led to Nyhlén becoming one of Sweden's most famous and best-paid journalists.
Daniel Nyhlén was in Aller Media/Svensk Damtidning's team during Victoria's wedding and he has written a book "Prinsessan Madeleine". During the past 15 years, Daniel Nyhlén has been interviewed as royal expert on issues concerning the royal family in SVT, TV4 and Sveriges Radio.

Daniel Nyhlén is a person who has very good contacts on issues regarding the members of the royal family. The other one who has good contacts is Johan T Lindwall, the editor-in-chief of Svensk Damtidning.

Last edited:
In addition to their own news, Stoppa pressarna quotes often also articles from Svensk Damtidning, and Expressen and Aftonbladet. Not just only the articles in the worst gossip magazines. Stoppa pressarna's publisher is Daniel Nyhlén, who has worked in among other things in Svensk Damtidning and Aftonbladet and been a program host on TV4.
During the years at Aftonbladet, Daniel Nyhlén worked as court and celebrity reporter, mainly followed the royal family, politicians and international celebrities.
The successes led to Nyhlén becoming one of Sweden's most famous and best-paid journalists.
Daniel Nyhlén was in Aller Media/Svensk Damtidning's team during Victoria's wedding and he has written a book "Prinsessan Madeleine". During the past 15 years, Daniel Nyhlén has been interviewed as royal expert on issues concerning the royal family in SVT, TV4 and Sveriges Radio.

Daniel Nyhlén is a person who has very good contacts on issues regarding the members of the royal family. The other one who has good contacts is Johan T Lindwall, the editor-in-chief of Svensk Damtidning.

Aftonbladet and Expressen are gossip news as well, they are comparable to the Daily Mail in the UK. Sensationalist and making a mountain out of a molehill.

Svensk Dam was at one point fairly reputable but that was many years ago and they are now a flashy picture gossip rag as well.

The royal reporters in Sweden are no better at reporting only the full truth than their counterparts in the UK. Their job is to sell clicks and prints, and sensationalism sells.

Aftonbladet and Expressen are gossip news as well, they are comparable to the Daily Mail in the UK. Sensationalist and making a mountain out of a molehill.

Svensk Dam was at one point fairly reputable but that was many years ago and they are now a flashy picture gossip rag as well.

The royal reporters in Sweden are no better at reporting only the full truth than their counterparts in the UK. Their job is to sell clicks and prints, and sensationalism sells.
Jennie Alexandersson at Aftonbladet, Roger Ljunggren & Sara Ericsson at Kungliga Magasinet are well-researched and not prone to sensationalism although they can be a bit to deferential at times. Roger in particular is very well connected with both the Swedish royals and foreign royals. He was the one who planned the wedding of Prince Leka of Albania a few years ago.
Unfortunately Elias Giertz isn't the royal reporter for Expressen anymore since he did a great job and in general stuck to facts.
I do agree about Daniel Nylén, Johan T Lindvall and also Karin Lenmor being clickbait hunters and the latter two has dragged Svensk Damtidning down to their level although in general it's still a reliable magazine.

Could the problem, if it existed, be nothing more than paperwork becoming snarled in the partial shutdown of the US government?

Could the problem, if it existed, be nothing more than paperwork becoming snarled in the partial shutdown of the US government?

Certainly. It's also possible (assuming there was an issue) that if the ministry had to be involved simply because the princess has a diplomatic passport - that may very well be routine and not actually a problem at all.

As someone who used to work for Immigration (not in Sweden, though), don't put too much weight on "Ministers intervening".

Ministers, MP, government officials "intervened" all the time for everyday people at my immigration office! It's actually one of the things that they're supposed to do for you, their constituents.

We'd be working on a file, and then get a call from Minister X because Joe Public came to their office and their visa hadn't been issued, even though the due date had passed.

Because it's now a Government Official asking us to look into something, we'd go and find Joe Public's file, see what was holding it up, and either finalize it or send the Minister and Joe Public a message detailing exactly why it wasn't ready.

A lot of the times, it was just that we were behind schedule and Joe Public was somewhere at the bottom of the To Be Done stack. The Minister intervening just made us move them up (but everything had to be okay with their file. Even if the Minister called, if things were wrong, Joe Public wasn't getting their visa.)

Again, just normal, ordinary people do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom