The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2020, 01:56 AM
Aristocracy

A few pages back, someone mentioned on here they were moving back to England for Chris’s job. Maybe the person who posted can post again please? I was surprised because of health restrictions right now.

Old 12-09-2020, 03:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

The family is not moving to England. Madeleine and Chris bought a big house in December 2019 in Pinecrest, Florida, and the family moved there in the beginning of this year.

Svensk Damtidning writes that Madeleine and Chris have a new car. They have previously had BMWs and Range Rovers, now they have upgraded to a luxury model, a Cadillac Escalade.
Prinsessan Madeleine visar lyxköpet på nya bilderna _*Svensk Dam

Old 12-09-2020, 11:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
The family is not moving to England. Madeleine and Chris bought a big house in December 2019 in Pinecrest, Florida, and the family moved there in the beginning of this year.

Svensk Damtidning writes that Madeleine and Chris have a new car. They have previously had BMWs and Range Rovers, now they have upgraded to a luxury model, a Cadillac Escalade.
Prinsessan Madeleine visar lyxköpet på nya bilderna _*Svensk Dam
Thanks for confirming, I knew that they had bought a house in Florida and seemed to be very settled there so I was doubtful of the “moving back to England” news (plus it seems like Chris prefers living in the U.S. as opposed to Europe).
Old 12-13-2020, 02:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

Svensk Damtidning has found Debbie Bancroft's blog/New York Social Diary, where she writes about Madeleine as Madeleine O'Neill.
There is a photo of Madeleine at the blog
"Beautiful Madeleine O’Neill made her way here from Sweden, via London.
We all celebrated Valentine’s Day early at a three-hour ladies lunch. We don’t luxuriate that way in New York. I’ve also noted that women seemed to have taken control of their own Valentine’s Day. No disappointment that way!"
https://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/w...2020/02/24.jpg
Debbie's Week at a Glance_ All for the Gators, Stand up and holler! _ New York Social Diary

Princess Madeleine - the pictures show the luxury life in Florida
Prinsessan Madeleine lever lyxliv under annat namn _*Svensk Dam
Translation
Old 12-13-2020, 02:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Svensk Damtidning has found Debbie Bancroft's blog/New York Social Diary, where she writes about Madeleine as Madeleine O'Neill.
We all celebrated Valentine’s Day early at a three-hour ladies lunch. We don’t luxuriate that way in New York. I’ve also noted that women seemed to have taken control of their own Valentine’s Day. No disappointment that way!"
Debbie's Week at a Glance_ All for the Gators, Stand up and holler! _ New York Social Diary
Quite a surprise after the announcement when they married that she would keep her own name and Prince Nicolas being registered as Bernadotte rather than O'Neill at the time of his birth.

Is she using O'Neill as an alias or has she legally changed the last names of herself and her children?
Old 12-13-2020, 02:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Not really surprised that Madeleine apparently goes by 'O'Neill' in daily life - that will surely help in being 'one of the crowd'; although still a rather privileged crowd.
Old 12-13-2020, 03:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Not really surprised that Madeleine apparently goes by 'O'Neill' in daily life - that will surely help in being 'one of the crowd'; although still a rather privileged crowd.
I'm not sure how much of a noticeable difference there would be. I suspect the name of Bernadotte wouldn't be recognizable to the average American, who may not even be aware Sweden has a reigning monarchy.

I know that it is rather common in certain countries, e.g. the Netherlands, for a married woman to use her maiden name in a legal or professional capacity and her husband's name in her social life, but I have the impression that most Swedish and American women use the same last name in every area of life. So I was surprised to see the princess calling herself O'Neill in her social life after using Bernadotte for her children's book and other professional activities.
Old 12-13-2020, 03:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
I'm not sure how much of a noticeable difference there would be. I suspect the name of Bernadotte wouldn't be recognizable to the average American, who may not even be aware Sweden has a reigning monarchy.

I know that it is rather common in certain countries, e.g. the Netherlands, for a married woman to use her maiden name in a legal or professional capacity and her husband's name in her social life, but I have the impression that most Swedish and American women use the same last name in every area of life. So I was surprised to see the princess calling herself O'Neill in her social life after using Bernadotte for her children's book and other professional activities.
In the US it is most common for a woman to take her husband’s last name and to switch to using that last name both personally and professionally (although more and more women keep their last names or use their last name professionally and their husband’s privately- I personally plan to do this when I marry). Most Americans would not associate “Bernadotte” with the Swedish royal family- in fact, most of them don’t even know Sweden HAS a royal family!

Is it known what last name the children use at school? I know they were given the last name Bernadotte but do they use it or O’Neill?
Old 12-13-2020, 03:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post

You are probably right that for the average American the difference between Bernadotte and O'Neill is non-existent; and that mostly the same name is used in various situations. However, Madeleine is not an average American or Swede. She seems to carefully distinguish her official/professional life (which already consists of two identities: princess of Sweden and Bernadotte) from her private life; and maybe for her this is another way of creating a larger distance between her various roles?!

I guess most Americans would expect the whole family to go by the surname of the father and husband. When we lived in the States some people were a little confused that I used a hyphenated name (according to Dutch tradition: husband's surname-maiden name) and my husband did not (his surname)... So, at times they would address is both with the hyphenated name; while we would always address ourselves (if combined) with only my husband's surname.

It's always interesting to see the various traditions; and in this case, try to guess how Madeleine (and her children) go about their naming customs.
Old 12-13-2020, 04:02 PM
Majesty

Quote:

Princess Madeleine - the pictures show the luxury life in Florida
Prinsessan Madeleine lever lyxliv under annat namn _*Svensk Dam
Translation

Is Madeleine O'Neill her legal name or the name she is using in the US now?

In Sweden, she is still " Hennes Kungliga Höghet Madeleine Thérèse Amelie Josephine, Prinsessa av Sverige, Hertiginna av Hälsingland och Gästrikland". Her Swedish documents have a xxx on the surname field.

Curiously, the NY social blogger who called her O'Neill maybe doesn't even know she is the King of Sweden's youngest daughter.

EDIT: Meghan and Harry could get a clue from Madeleine not using her royal title/style in America.
Old 12-13-2020, 04:09 PM
Courtier

I assume she just wants to be a (very, very privileged) Mrs O'Neill in the US and they just use Mr and Mrs for convenience. I kind of doubt she's made any legal changes to hers or the kids names, since she *does* like some of the perks of Prinsessa av Sverige/Bernadotte when she's back in the country or promoting something but I suppose SD will be checking up on that.
Old 12-13-2020, 05:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Is Madeleine O'Neill her legal name or the name she is using in the US now?

In Sweden, she is still " Hennes Kungliga Höghet Madeleine Thérèse Amelie Josephine, Prinsessa av Sverige, Hertiginna av Hälsingland och Gästrikland". Her Swedish documents have a xxx on the surname field.

Curiously, the NY social blogger who called her O'Neill maybe doesn't even know she is the King of Sweden's youngest daughter.

EDIT: Meghan and Harry could get a clue from Madeleine not using her royal title/style in America.

Not to beat a dead horse, or run over it with a steam train over and over again, but Harry and Meghan do exactly the same as Madeleine.

Like Harry and Meghan, when Madeleine is representing her charities like the World Childhood, she uses her title. When Harry and Meghan are doing their charity work, they use their tites.

In private life/business they can't. Neither Madeleine or the Sussexes have any control over what the media use as a term.
Old 12-17-2020, 08:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

At SVT's annual program "The Year with the Royal Family", we see also Madeleine's interview, she was interviewed at her home.
Prinsessan Madeleine om barnen – och sitt isolerade liv i Miami _*Svensk Dam
Translation

It is irritating that nowadays obviously the whole program is shown to the press many days before it is shown at SVT, and we can read almost everything what is at the program, from the media before we see the program.

Screenshots at Svensk Damtidning from "The Year with the Royal Family", from Madeleine's 16-room house and Madeleine at the beach.
Prinsessan Madeleines nya hus i Miami – se bilderna inifrån _*Svensk Dam
Old 12-19-2020, 10:35 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Screenshots at Svensk Damtidning from "The Year with the Royal Family", from Madeleine's 16-room house and Madeleine at the beach.
This was not filmed at Madeleine's house but at the Swedish Consul General's house
Old 12-20-2020, 12:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
the link doe snot work anymore
Old 12-20-2020, 02:34 PM
Aristocracy

The picture works via picture search

https://image.svenskdam.se/aret-med-...297&height=676
Old 01-10-2021, 04:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

Svensk Damtidning writes that a rumour started a few weeks before Christmas, after Expressen's reports that Madeleine and Chris had had their apartment at the Royal Mews renovated and expanded - from a five-room to a seven. It was rumoured: "Madeleine thinks to leave Miami as soon as possible, she is on her way back to Sweden”.
Svensk Damtidning asked Margareta Thorgren, if the rumour is true.
Margareta Thorgren chose not to confirm or deny. She just said:
- Princess Madeleine still lives in the United States.
Margareta Thorgren has previously referred to the fact that the expansion of their apartment was done "for logistics and security aspects".
Thorgren also rejected the claim that the plan is that Madeleine takes over some of Sofia's missions after the baby's arrival and said that Madeleine works with her own assignments, mainly with Childhood. She said also that Madeleine hopes to be able to visit Sweden as soon as possible, but it is too early to say now when she can do it.
Ryktet om prinsessan Madeleine och Chris_ Hovets kommentar _*Svensk Dam
Old 01-27-2021, 06:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

Expressen:
Expressen reviewed Chris O'Neill's companies' activity for 2020, Chris has made significant changes: Two companies, Wilton Partners LLC and Warwick Partners LLC, have been completely closed down.
Wilton Partners was started in 2008 and Warwick Partners in 2014, but documents received by the Florida authorities show that both companies have been dissolved since February because the companies "have ceased business".
Two other companies, Wilton Payments LLC and Belgravia Investment LLC, are still active companies, but Chris has left prominent roles: In the documents, the letters P, T, S appear under the field "title", which a person at the company authority in Florida confirms stands for "president", "treasurer" and "secretary".
Expressen contacted lawyer Timothy Hanlon, the contact person for the companies. He doesn't want to answer questions about why the changes were made.
- He has no comments, says Hanlon to Expressen.
But I have not even stated what kind of questions I want to ask.
- He says he thinks he knows what it is anyway.
Expressen sent also questions to Chris via the court to find out the significance of the changes, and to hear his plans for the future, but Chris has chosen to say no to an interview.
Margareta Thorgren wrote to Expressen:
- Mr O'Neill has a number of different companies that are used to hold investments and other assets. When they are no longer needed, they dissolve - which is what you can expect. In addition, Mr. O'Neill is changing from executive to non-executive roles in some (non-operating) investment companies. These changes have no effect on his shareholder status.
Dokument avslöjar_ Chris O'Neill lägger ner sina bolag i USA
Translation
Old 01-27-2021, 07:57 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Expressen contacted lawyer Timothy Hanlon, the contact person for the companies. He doesn't want to answer questions about why the changes were made.

Expressen sent also questions to Chris via the court to find out the significance of the changes, and to hear his plans for the future, but Chris has chosen to say no to an interview.
- Mr O'Neill has a number of different companies that are used to hold investments and other assets. When they are no longer needed, they dissolve - which is what you can expect. In addition, Mr. O'Neill is changing from executive to non-executive roles in some (non-operating) investment companies. These changes have no effect on his shareholder status.
Translation
That bit made me laugh.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:10 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Expressen:
Expressen reviewed Chris O'Neill's companies' activity for 2020, Chris has made significant changes: Two companies, Wilton Partners LLC and Warwick Partners LLC, have been completely closed down.
Wilton Partners was started in 2008 and Warwick Partners in 2014, but documents received by the Florida authorities show that both companies have been dissolved since February because the companies "have ceased business".
Two other companies, Wilton Payments LLC and Belgravia Investment LLC, are still active companies, but Chris has left prominent roles: In the documents, the letters P, T, S appear under the field "title", which a person at the company authority in Florida confirms stands for "president", "treasurer" and "secretary".
Translation

Am I the only one who finds it odd that Margareta Thorgren constantly seems to give explanations to the press about Chris O'Neill's private finances? Chris is not a member of the Royal House and neither he nor his businesses receive any funding from the Royal Court. Shouldn't Margareta Thorgren simply decline to comment citing that those are strictly private matters ?

Closed Thread

Tags
chris o'neill, family, general news, news, prince nicholas, princess leonore, princess madeleine