Princess Madeleine, Chris O'Neill & Family, General News Part 4,February 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

An Ard Ri

Super Moderator
Site Team
City
An Iarmhí
Country
Ireland
210px-Madeleinearms.svg.png

Arms of Princess Madeleine

Welcome to the General News of Princess Madeleine, Chris O'Neill and Family, Part 4

Commencing February 1st,2021

The previous thread can be found here

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs

· Only pictures that you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles, so no more than 20% of an article
text should be posted, along with the link to the original article.
· We expect our members to treat each other, and the royals and persons in these threads, with respect.
· The Report Post button is for reporting inappropriate content in a post if no moderators or administrators are online.
· Threads should remain on topic. Posts which are irrelevant or disruptive
will be deleted or moved by one of the moderators.

Svensk Damtidning asked the court why Madeleine doesn't participate in any of the royal family's meetings, now that they are no longer physical and it would be possible for her to do it from Miami.
Margareta Thorgren answers:
- It is the royal couple and the crown princess couple who mainly participate in various official digital meetings. The prince couple and princess Madeleine mainly participate in digital meetings related to their commitment and foundation work. During the pandemic, most events, where more people in the royal family usually participate, have either been canceled or postponed. For Princess Madeleine, the geographical distance also limits her ability to participate on these occasions.
Prinsessan Madeleine – därför säger hon nej _*Svensk Dam

The difference then, if I understand Ms. Thorgren correctly, is that the Prince Couple publicizes their digital meetings with their unofficial charitable work while Princess Madeleine does not, which leads to Princess Madeleine being viewed as less active than her brother and sister-in-law?

The difference then, if I understand Ms. Thorgren correctly, is that the Prince Couple publicizes their digital meetings with their unofficial charitable work while Princess Madeleine does not, which leads to Princess Madeleine being viewed as less active than her brother and sister-in-law?

Madeleine has very rarely done any charitable work other than Childhood and My Special Day. Everybody knows this, Svensk Dam is just being obnoxious.

Royalblog reports that a poll by Svensk Damtidning shows that 0% trusts princess Madeleine (not sure about the exact phrasing of the question); a somewhat similar poll by Aftonbladet reported 1%.

N.B. Tried to find the original source but was unsuccessful so far.

Last edited:
Royalblog reports that a poll by Svensk Damtidning shows that 0% trusts princess Madeleine (not sure about the exact phrasing of the question); a somewhat similar poll by Aftonbladet reported 1%.

N.B. Tried to find the original source but was unsuccessful so far.

I think the original question (posted in the Popularity of the Swedish Monarchy forum) was which member of the RF you trust the most.

:previous: is the exact wording of the question known? i think there was a swedish poll about popularity of the royals some years ago, but that was worded as "who is your favorite royal" and in that several royals scored quite low, but that was because many people if they have to name their top 1 favorite, it'll be CP.Victoria.

If this confidence question was also worded like "in which royal do you have the most confidence" i can imagine P.Madeleine was not the nr 1 for people, but that wouldn't necessarily be the same as "we don't trust P.Madeleine at all"

so would be interesting to read the context.. :flowers:

edited: MBruno beat me to it that was exactly what i suspected ?

I think the original question (posted in the Popularity of the Swedish Monarchy forum) was which member of the RF you trust the most.

Indeed. The poll never asked Swedes whether or not they trusted Princess Madeleine (or any other member of the royal family).

Please see here for detailed information on the poll, courtesy of LadyFinn, and some discussion about it.

Popularity of the Monarchy in Sweden

Thanks! In that case it makes sense; she is not on top of anybody's list but that doesn't mean that she isn't trusted.

Margareta Thorgren told to Expressen, that Madeleine and her family plan to come to Sweden in the summer.
Thorgren tells that Madeleine will not be present to celebrate National Day on Sunday.
- Princess Madeleine lives in the USA and to the extent that she and her family have the opportunity to celebrate National Day at Skansen, they do so.
However, Madeleine and her whole family plans to travel to Sweden sometime this summer.
- Hopefully the family will come here later this summer, the whole princess family, says Thorgren.
When it will be, however, is still unclear, Thorgren doesn't have any dates now. It has been difficult due to the restrictions and there are still restrictions, but the plan is for the whole family to come home for a longer period this summer.
Hovet_ Då kommer prinsessan Madeleine till Sverige

Article about Madeleine in finnish Ilta-Sanomat yesterday
Madeleine käänsi selkänsä hoville ja elää nyt suojattua elämää Yhdysvalloissa – prinsessan suosio romahti Ruotsissa nollaan - Kuninkaalliset - Ilta-Sanomat
Translation

Last edited by a moderator:
Madeleine and her children have arrived to Sweden. Svensk Damtidning's eyewitness saw Nicolas and Leonore with their nanny in Humlegården on their way to the playground up by Karlavägen.
Margareta Thorgren confirmed to Svensk Damtidning that Madeleine and her children are in Sweden.
Hovet_ Prinsessan Madeleine är tillbaka i Sverige _*Svensk Dam

And another article in Svensk Damtidning to point out that the court hasn't confirmed if Chris is in Sweden too. Where is he?
Hovets besked om Madeleine – gåtan kring Chris! _*Svensk Dam

"Can confirm that Princess Madeleine and her family have been at home in Sweden since yesterday. The princess is happy to be home when it was over a year and a half since last", Margareta Thorgren writes to Expressen.
Prinsessan Madeleine är hemma i Sverige

Last edited:
Hänt Magazine asked Margareta Thorgren about the rumours that Madeleine and family would move to Sweden. The rumours started when Svensk Damtidning told that Madeleine has visited Estelle's school Campus Manilla because she and Chris are interested in a school place for Leonore. And because there was made a big renovation at the family's apartment at the Royal Mews.

Margareta Thorgren is now responding to rumors about Madeleine's future in Sweden. According to her, the family has no plans to move to Sweden at the moment.
"They live in Florida now and will continue to do so", Margareta Thorgren wrote in a message to Hänt.
Hovets svar om prinsessan Madeleines flytt till Sverige _ Hänt

Hänt Magazine asked Margareta Thorgren about the rumours that Madeleine and family would move to Sweden. The rumours started when Svensk Damtidning told that Madeleine has visited Estelle's school Campus Manilla because she and Chris are interested in a school place for Leonore. And because there was made a big renovation at the family's apartment at the Royal Mews.

Margareta Thorgren is now responding to rumors about Madeleine's future in Sweden. According to her, the family has no plans to move to Sweden at the moment.
"They live in Florida now and will continue to do so", Margareta Thorgren wrote in a message to Hänt.
Hovets svar om prinsessan Madeleines flytt till Sverige _ Hänt

The message is unsurprising in itself, but it is unusual that Margareta Thorgren has only responded now, after repeated refusals to comment. With past inquiries about the children's schooling she has been quick to respond that the family will continue to live in Florida for the foreseeable future.

Two possible explanations for the delayed reaction are that Princess Madeleine was giving it serious consideration, but could not obtain her husband's agreement, or that what was/is being planned is a short stay in Sweden during the school year while continuing to be based in Florida.

The message is unsurprising in itself, but it is unusual that Margareta Thorgren has only responded now, after repeated refusals to comment. With past inquiries about the children's schooling she has been quick to respond that the family will continue to live in Florida for the foreseeable future.

Two possible explanations for the delayed reaction are that Princess Madeleine was giving it serious consideration, but could not obtain her husband's agreement, or that what was/is being planned is a short stay in Sweden during the school year while continuing to be based in Florida.
Most likely Margareta wasn't allowed to comment earlier. Not before the rumours spread so much that Madeleine & Chris felt that they wanted to respond. In the pre-Thorgren days there were often many inconsistencies in how and what was communicated from the palace, especially from Madeleine, but also from the King and Queen. The Press office was much criticised, but I've always thought that the blame was with their bosses instead.

I just wish the gossip rags could stop this speculation. They're not coming back. Chris isn't going to pay Swedish taxes any day soon.

I just wish the gossip rags could stop this speculation. They're not coming back. Chris isn't going to pay Swedish taxes any day soon.
I feel the same way. If only Svensk Damtidning and Expressen stopped stirring the pot and looking for scandals where there aren't. Half of the articles in Svensk Damtidning these days seems to be about Margareta Thorgren (who's done wonders for the press office) not wanting to comment on whatever ridiculous question they've phoned in.

Probably a bit more like "Chris isn't going to pay Swedish and US taxes any day soon", which he'd be required by law as an American citizen to do.

Probably a bit more like "Chris isn't going to pay Swedish and US taxes any day soon", which he'd be required by law as an American citizen to do.

There's tax credits for US citizens living abroad though. SO he wouldn't be double taxed on the same money. He'd pay taxes to both countries but not on the same exact money.

Must he pay taxes in the UK too?

There's tax credits for US citizens living abroad though. SO he wouldn't be double taxed on the same money. He'd pay taxes to both countries but not on the same exact money.

Since he's not living and working in Sweden he doesn't pay tax here.

But my comment was more of a sarcasm, because Sweden is a high tax country and I don't think that appeals to Chris :lol:. Living in Florida means he gets to keep a substantially larger part of his income.

Makes sense for him to stay in Florida.

Did Chris received the Order of the Serafim ?

No, he did not.

Under current regulations, the Order of the Seraphim can be awarded only to foreign Heads of State (or people of equivalent rank, like a queen consort for example), or to members of the Swedish Royal House. Chris does not fall into any of the two categories (please remember he is not a member of the Royal House).

However, Chris was made a Commander in the Order of the Polar Star, which can be awarded to any foreign citizen "for services to Sweden". As a Commander, he only wears the badge on a necklace, but doesn't have a sash or a star.

Prince Daniel has both the Order of the Seraphim and the Order of the Polar Star and he normally wears the Seraphim badge on a sash and the Polar Star badge on a necklet. You may have noticed, however, that Prince Daniel's Polar Star necklet is black, whereas Chris O'Neill's is blue with yellow bars. That is because, interestingly, the Order of the Polar Star has different ribbon colors for foreign and Swedish citizens respectively.

See this Wikipedia link with a picture of Mr O'Neill's Swedish insignias.

Last edited:
No, he did not.

Under current regulations, the Order of the Seraphim can be awarded only to foreign Heads of State (or people of equivalent rank, like a queen consort for example), or to members of the Swedish Royal House. Chris does not fall into any of the two categories (please remember he is not a member of the Royal House).
Actually i think i can also given to foreign commoners, only not to Swedish and this is how Queen Silvia got it before her marriage when she still was a german citizen. And i think the same was done for Princess Lilian, only that she did not get the order of the Seraphim but the Order of the Polar Star.

Chris also received the Ruby jubilee and 70th Birthday medal of the king along with the Royal Order of the Polar Star

Actually i think i can also given to foreign commoners, only not to Swedish and this is how Queen Silvia got it before her marriage when she still was a german citizen. And i think the same was done for Princess Lilian, only that she did not get the order of the Seraphim but the Order of the Polar Star.

The Order of the Polar Star can be given to any foreign citizen or stateless person. A former governor of the state of Michigan got it recently for example and also writers, scientists, musicians, etc. It actually has quite a lot of members, even post-1975.

The Order of the Seraphim on the other hand is restricted to Heads of State or people of equivalent rank.

1 § Inom Kungl. Serafimerorden kan utmärkelser tilldelas statschefer och därmed jämställda personer samt medlemmar av det svenska konungahuset. Förordning (1995:1025).

I am not familiar with Queen Silvia's case. Maybe the rationale was that she qualified as a (future) wife of a Head of State (making her a person of "equal rank"). Nowadays, she would qualify simply as a member of the Royal House, but that latter amendment to the ordinance was made only in 1995 (as shown above) when CP Victoria turned 18.

The only comment I've seen on Silvia receiving the Seraphim is that she had to get it before she became a Swedish citizen. No mention of her being a commoner.
The registry of His Majesty's Royal Order on her reads:"German citizen, Miss - Frgn - Silvia Renate Sommerlath - 1976 6/5." With an added comment "Proclaimed Swedish member 1/8 1995"

Back
Top Bottom