Princess Madeleine and Family Moving to London: May 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Princess Madeleine and Family Moving to London, 2015

While not being a first language English speaker myself I must say that your English always looks very good and correct to me Ladyfinn. I always enjoy reading your insightful and spot on posts so keep up the good work.

Btw I just read the article in SDT and I'd translate the windows as being "grand" or "imposing" instead of pompous.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
I also should have said LadyFinn that part of one of my first degrees is in English Literature and it is my first language. I believe your English is excellent. Please don't keep going because I would miss your posts immensely.

I wrote that "pompous" windows. I would like to kindly remind everyone, that english isn't everyone's native language here and our text isn't perfect. I have to use a dictionary sometimes when I write in english. Like I used this time when I read that swedish article and wrote that then in english. Maybe my choice of word wasn't perfectly correct, but perhaps that window thing wasn't the most important thing at the article.

Had not been aware that you are actually doing the translations, LadyFinn. :flowers: As some posters mentioned, I was one who thought it was a direct quote in English. Sorry about that. The vagaries of language! And thank you for your translation!!!!

BTW, the translation of pompous would be along the lines of 'self important', basically describing someone who thinks they are better than others, but in a very stuffy way. A blowhard. So as you can see the choice of that word conveyed a lot of baggage.

Btw I just read the article in SDT and I'd translate the windows as being "grand" or "imposing" instead of pompous.

So when I suggested 'prominent window' I was close to the mark. :flowers:

LadyFinn is a legend and goes out of her way to post interesting and unusual things that I know living in England that I would never know about if it was not for her.

Off topic, but some of us for whom English is a first language have problems with composition. ;) UK grammar and US grammar do not always agree. Heaven knows about other countries that choose English as a first language and their choices about gerunds, participles, spelling, etc.

And I for one (there are others) cannot type to save my soul. So there is a lot potential for error and for us to be generous toward one another and our posts. At least I hope so.

Post away politely, all and a hat off to all of those you brave enough to put yourself out there in English. :flowers:

I also think you have very good English, LadyFinn. Even I as a native English speaker make mistakes every now and then.
I am impressed that you translate all the articles you post yourself, most of the time I have no trouble in understanding them. I think it is nice when our members do this as it's more accurate than Google Translate and other internet translations, which I often use.

Maybe slightly off topic but may I say how proud I am off of being on such a respectful discussion board? Ladyfinn as well as non-other native English speakers put themselves out there and take risks so we can learn new and interesting things and posters are supportive of that? We really are a good bunch on here. The best, in my humble opinion.

I wrote that "pompous" windows. I would like to kindly remind everyone, that english isn't everyone's native language here and our text isn't perfect. I have to use a dictionary sometimes when I write in english. Like I used this time when I read that swedish article and wrote that then in english. Maybe my choice of word wasn't perfectly correct, but perhaps that window thing wasn't the most important thing at the article.

I understand Lady Finn, and you are right. I didn't realize you had written it yourself and I apologize for making fun.

And right you are Honeybees! I am in awe of non-native English speakers who are brave enough to post here. I would never do it if the situation was reversed!

Last edited:
I am so sorry but didn't realize that you were translating for us, I also thought it was a direct quote from the English version of the publication. Thank you so much for all of your work and interesting posts.
I have done translating and know how difficult it is.

Last edited:
I understand Lady Finn, and you are right. I didn't realize you had written it yourself and I apologize for making fun.

And right you are Honeybees! I am in awe of non-native English speakers who are brave enough to post here. I would never do it if the situation was reversed!
Personally speaking Moonmaiden, I don't believe you came across as making fun of a fellow poster. As I said I to believed the phrase which I admitted made me laugh out loud came from a journalist and that is why I laughed. That and the thought of windows having personality traits.

LadyFinn, please forgive me if I in any way caused you upset or offence. It was a genuine misunderstanding and I am truly sorry. Your a star and I respect you and your work for our benefit on here.

Are Chris and Madeleine still in London? I am wondering if one day soon we will hear that she is giving up her HRH.

Yes, they are still London. I don't see Madeleine giving up her HRH, ever, it is her safety net should things go wrong. Besides, both her kids are HRHs, at long time perspective I see them returning to Sweden.

There is no point of Madeleine giving up her hrh. It doesn't hinder her living how she wants. And giving it up wouldn't save her from any media. Exactly what would be the benefit or even change to either Madeleine or the people of Sweden if she did ? None that I can see. I guess maybe CG would benefit if he used it as an excuse to no longer compensate her. The money comes out of his appendage so he is the only one with a true benefit.

The only thing I could see is if they decide their kids should be private, and remove them from succession by raising them outside of Sweden. Her kids would still keep their titles. They simply would lose a distant right now to inherit.

Are Chris and Madeleine still in London? I am wondering if one day soon we will hear that she is giving up her HRH.

I highly doubt that she will give up the HRH, especially since both her children have HRHs as well. My understanding is that they'll have to move to Sweden within the next couple of years, as Leonore is approaching school age and the children are required to be raised primarily in Sweden and to go to school there.

Gossip magazine Hänt i Veckan and Stoppa pressarna have this week an article which could be seen to come after the court told that Leonore goes to a preschool also in Stockholm.
https://media.pressbyran.se/article/image/zoom/ts_0987_201735.jpg

Chris & Madeleine can not agree on where to stay. They refuse to compromise. Those who end up squeezing are unfortunately the children.
Chris is a big city guy through and through. In Manhattan, the businessman is in his right mind, he knows the place like the back of his hand.
But the princess's strong love for her homeland has become a serious problem in the relationship.
- I'm always longing home, Madde revealed a few years ago to Expressen.
However, O'Neill can not imagine living in Sweden - he refuses! The main reason is that he couldn't do his job in a good way from Sweden, his business would suffer severely. The couple has done everything to find a solution. Anything except Sweden, Chris demanded. He even suggested that they could live in Gstaad, a small town in Switzerland.
The couple finally landed in a compromise: London. Now two years have gone and Madde's longing for Sweden has only grown even stronger. Perhaps it would be most sensible to live apart? Because what they do now feels neither decent nor durable in the long run.
Last week it was announced that Leonore has begun Swedish preschool, but that the family "lives in London". Even Nicolas 2, is going to be schooled eventually. It will be the children who will be torn between England and Sweden.
What kind of parent allows their child to go to preschool in two different countries?
- "It should be done only as a last solution", says a pre-school teacher to Stoppa pressarna.
The people around Madeleine and Chris are wondering what they are doing.
- There has been many rows behind this decision. Madde has given London a chance. She doesn't like it. She is chilly in this decision. Leonore becomes a pawn in the game. She will go to double preschool with totally different languages and routines - just because the parents have different wills. Imagine yourself how hard it must be, says a source to Hänt
Både Madde & Chris vägrar kompromissa _ Stoppa Pressarna

Madde's new luxury home was rented for 170,000 - a month
Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill live in one of the world's most exclusive neighborhoods.
For the London residence, the landlord has requested a corresponding amount of SEK 170,000 (17000 €, over 20000 USD) - a month.
Princess Madeleine moved to London 2015 after living in New York and a short period in Sweden. Her husband Chris O'Neill has previously explained that the family moved to make it easier for him to handle his business.
Expressen can now tell how the family lives in one of London's most exclusive districts, Knightsbridge. The property - which includes three bedrooms - is about 250 square meters in size.
The couple are close to Hyde Park, where they have been seen walking several times with the children Leonore, 3 and Nicolas, 2. Along the streets are cars of the brands Rolls-Royce, Bentley and Range Rover parked. Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neills have chosen to drive Swedish and have a Volvo XC 90.
According to Peter Taylor, a broker at Maskells Real Estate in Knightsbridge, the area is one of the most luxurious places to live in. He compares to expensive addresses in world metropolitan areas like New York, Hong Kong, Sydney and Los Angeles.
- It is definitely one of the most expensive areas in the world. It is the international elite who lives there. These may be celebrities, billionaires from Russia or rich people from the Middle East.
In connection with the move in 2015, Chris O'Neill told the Expressen that the family had found a home that was about to be completed. The refurbished three-storey house had then been on the market with a requested rent on what, at today's rate, corresponds to approximately SEK 170,000 a month.
- It's not an unusual rent for a house or a more exclusive apartment in this area, said Peter Taylor.
The director of the press department, Margareta Thorgren says about Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill's life in London:
- They are doing well in London, that's the information I have.
We have information that their housing costs around SEK 170,000 a month. What can you say about it?
- There's nothing I know about. It is entirely a private residence that they have in London and that has nothing to do with royal court, it is a completely private residence.
Prinsessan Madeleines nya lyxhem hyrdes ut för 170 000 – i månaden _ Kungligt _ Expressen
Translation

Madde's new luxury home was rented for 170,000 - a month
Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill live in one of the world's most exclusive neighborhoods.
For the London residence, the landlord has requested a corresponding amount of SEK 170,000 (17000 €, over 20000 USD) - a month.
Princess Madeleine moved to London 2015 after living in New York and a short period in Sweden. Her husband Chris O'Neill has previously explained that the family moved to make it easier for him to handle his business.
Expressen can now tell how the family lives in one of London's most exclusive districts, Knightsbridge. The property - which includes three bedrooms - is about 250 square meters in size.
The couple are close to Hyde Park, where they have been seen walking several times with the children Leonore, 3 and Nicolas, 2. Along the streets are cars of the brands Rolls-Royce, Bentley and Range Rover parked. Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neills have chosen to drive Swedish and have a Volvo XC 90.
According to Peter Taylor, a broker at Maskells Real Estate in Knightsbridge, the area is one of the most luxurious places to live in. He compares to expensive addresses in world metropolitan areas like New York, Hong Kong, Sydney and Los Angeles.
- It is definitely one of the most expensive areas in the world. It is the international elite who lives there. These may be celebrities, billionaires from Russia or rich people from the Middle East.
In connection with the move in 2015, Chris O'Neill told the Expressen that the family had found a home that was about to be completed. The refurbished three-storey house had then been on the market with a requested rent on what, at today's rate, corresponds to approximately SEK 170,000 a month.
- It's not an unusual rent for a house or a more exclusive apartment in this area, said Peter Taylor.
The director of the press department, Margareta Thorgren says about Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill's life in London:
- They are doing well in London, that's the information I have.
We have information that their housing costs around SEK 170,000 a month. What can you say about it?
- There's nothing I know about. It is entirely a private residence that they have in London and that has nothing to do with royal court, it is a completely private residence.
Prinsessan Madeleines nya lyxhem hyrdes ut för 170 000 – i månaden _ Kungligt _ Expressen
Translation

i thought the flat was owned by chris' family (his mum), so i doubt they are paying rent in the strict sense of the word. maybe they meant that the equivalent rent in that area would be 20000 USD/Month?

According to Expressen, Madeleine and Chris are leaving their home in London. At the advertisement for the rent of the apartment it is told that it has 261 square meters, three bedrooms and bathrooms, two rooms for reception, a garage for two cars and a roof terrace.
Margareta Thorgren to Expressen:
- I can't comment on where the couple lives privately. The only thing I can confirm is that they are still living in London.
The costs of the apartment are almost 170 000 SEK a month. What can you say about that?
- I have no knowledge about that. It is a private apartment they have in London.
https://www.expressen.se/nyheter/kungligt/madde-och-chris-lamnar-lyxlagenheten-i-london/

Shortly after the wedding there was an article in the Swedish press confirming that Chris never took the step of obtaining a dispensation to be married outside the Catholic Church(like Queen Maxima did)which he is required to do by Canon Law if he married a Protestant. Otherwise, in the eyes of the Catholic Church Chris is not technically married to Madeleine at all, only living with her.

So if the marriage fails he won't even need to approach the Holy See for an annulment.

Maybe he was looking ahead after all.:cool:

Please see the wedding thread for my post on this topic:

I could not locate any article in the online Swedish press on the religious issues with the couple's marriage (perhaps someone else could help with that?), but I found the following translation (probably a Google translation) of a Svensk Damtidning article, which appears to state that Chris O'Neill applied to his church for a dispensation to get married in the Lutheran Church of Sweden and received it. [...]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom