Princess Madeleine & Chris O'Neill, Current Events 1: December 2012 - December 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe she forgave him already?

They were all four together at a wedding already in August 2011. According to the swedish media Madeleine doesn't want to talk with Jonas at all.

They were all four together at a wedding already in August 2011. According to the swedish media Madeleine doesn't want to talk with Jonas at all.

And i understand them at weddings because they have friends in common, but going to ski? weird!

For that i ask if she forgave him.

The only thing I find strange is that a couple of times now it's been announced Chris would accompany Madeleine to an event and then he hasn't wound up going. They, (Chris, Madeleine, the SRF and their PR team), need to get their acts together on this because it does look rude to cancel like that, especially when talking about high profile events.

The only thing I find strange is that a couple of times now it's been announced Chris would accompany Madeleine to an event and then he hasn't wound up going. They, (Chris, Madeleine, the SRF and their PR team), need to get their acts together on this because it does look rude to cancel like that, especially when talking about high profile events.

According to Ternert Chris will attend today at the Swedish Academy's formal gathering, even though Ternert said on Monday that Chris will not attend. The court has changed it's policy, I don't remember Nina Eldh constantly commenting where Daniel and Jonas will attend or will they not attend.

It seems that the common friends of Madeleine and Jonas have stayed neutral after they broke their engagement, since they have been inviting both to their weddings and other celebrations.

Last edited:
Hi all, I'm new to the Royal Forums. I'm very fascinated by royalty and nobility, but I don't know all of their "rules". I was wondering if Princess Madeline could choose to keep her given name and title as opposed to take up her husband's names. Same question goes for other royal/noble brides, can they keep their given names and titles, instead of taking their husband's names and titles (if they have any). Also, what if they have a higher (?) title than their husband?

I know that for the rest of us "normal" people we can keep our maiden names, my mum kept hers when she married my dad. Or some people hyphen it.

Hi all, I'm new to the Royal Forums. I'm very fascinated by royalty and nobility, but I don't know all of their "rules". I was wondering if Princess Madeline could choose to keep her given name and title as opposed to take up her husband's names. Same question goes for other royal/noble brides, can they keep their given names and titles, instead of taking their husband's names and titles (if they have any). Also, what if they have a higher (?) title than their husband?

I know that for the rest of us "normal" people we can keep our maiden names, my mum kept hers when she married my dad. Or some people hyphen it.

Welcome abroad, Mllegdec! :flowers:

Princess Madeleine will keep her title. Chris may or may not become a Duke jure uxoris (by right of the wife), depending on whether it's intended for him to become a Swedish citizen and working member of the Royal Family, or not. When Madeleine's first engagement to Jonas was announced, it was also clarified that Jonas would be Duke of Halsingland and Gastrikland (male forms of Madeleine's titles). As for the surname, most countries offer the woman the choice to keep her maiden name, or take her husband's family name. Sweden is no exception.

Traditionally, a woman uses the highest of her available titles. For instance, when Princess Alexandra of Kent married Angus Ogilvy, she kept her title Princess and her style of Royal Highness, becoming Her Royal Highness Princess Alexandra, The Honourable Mrs Angus Ogilvy (after her husband was knighted she became Her Royal Highness Princess Alexandra, The Honourable Lady Ogilvy). Similarly, when Duchess Sophie in Bavaria married Alois, Hereditary Prince of Liechtenstein, she retain the use of her style of Royal Highness (members of the Princely Family of Liechtenstein are Serene Highnesses), becoming Her Royal Highness The Hereditary Princess of Liechtenstein.

Of course, rules differ from country to country. In Japan, if an Imperial Princess marries a commoner, she automatically relinquishes all her styles, titles and position in the Imperial Family, and becomes an untitled commoner herself. For instance, when Her Imperial Highness Princess Sayako married Yoshiki Kuroda, she became just a plain Mrs. Yoshiki Kuroda.

Have a look at these threads which should give you a better idea how styles, titles and precedence work:

Questions about Swedish Titles
Question about Norwegian titles
Precedence - Who Outranks Who?
Questions About British Styles and Titles
Questions About non-British Styles and Titles

Royal Dukes, Royal Duchies and Royal Ducal Titles
Royal, Princely and Comital Titles
Nobility, Aristocracy and Titles
British Order of Precedence
Styles and Titles

Last edited:
Madeleine and Chris are having a nice holiday in Gstaad with Louise Gottlieb and other friends. They seem to be on a good mood and have been seen hugging while skiing.
But Expressen writes: Here they smoke together
The organization A Non Smoking Generation reacts over that the princess appears at the photos with a cigarette in her hand, the chairman Ann-Therese Enarsson says:
- It's sad when role models, especially those with such an impact at the young women like she has, choose to smoke because it is so dangerous to your health.
Här ryker de ihop Nyheter Expressen Senaste nytt - Nyheter Sport Nöje TV
Translation

The finnish press writes widely about Madeleine and Chris smoking together
Röökipari - Madeleine ja Chris sauhuttelivat yhdessä - todella ikävää - Kuninkaalliset - Ilta-Sanomat
Madeleine ja Chris sauhuttelivat Alpeilla – katso kuva - Uutiset - Viihde - MTV3.fi

Madeleine and Chris are having a nice holiday in Gstaad with Louise Gottlieb and other friends. They seem to be on a good mood and have been seen hugging while skiing.
But Expressen writes: Here they smoke together
The organization A Non Smoking Generation reacts over that the princess appears at the photos with a cigarette in her hand, the chairman Ann-Therese Enarsson says:
- It's sad when role models, especially those with such an impact at the young women like she has, choose to smoke because it is so dangerous to your health.
Här ryker de ihop Nyheter Expressen Senaste nytt - Nyheter Sport Nöje TV
Translation

The finnish press writes widely about Madeleine and Chris smoking together
Röökipari - Madeleine ja Chris sauhuttelivat yhdessä - todella ikävää - Kuninkaalliset - Ilta-Sanomat
Madeleine ja Chris sauhuttelivat Alpeilla – katso kuva - Uutiset - Viihde - MTV3.fi
I have to voice my very sincere disappointment in Madeleine and Chris. For anyone to smoke today they must be totally ignorant about the health risks not only to themselves but also to everyone around them. Second hand smoke is especially bad for small children. The smoke stays in your clothes, skin and hair long after you have extinguished the cigarett and impact infants and children.

It's just one of those nasty habits that's very hard to break but its up to them if they want to stop smoking.

Looks like they are enjoying themselves.

What are they smoking?

??? Is it usual to share a Marlboro with your sweetie?

For people who smoke is a normal thing, but of course she is a Princess and a very well known person so she should care more for her posture and attitude towards the public...but it seams that she doesn't care at all...also to me a very important issue is the ski helmet, she should be wraring a ski helmet for her safe, of course it is not fashion at all wearing it..but it's safe!

For people who smoke is a normal thing, but of course she is a Princess and a very well known person so she should care more for her posture and attitude towards the public...but it seams that she doesn't care at all...also to me a very important issue is the ski helmet, she should be wraring a ski helmet for her safe, of course it is not fashion at all wearing it..but it's safe!
I think it is pretty obvious that Madeleine has and is making a very obvious statement . . . "I was born a Princess and that is an accident of birth. I did not make any promises to be a sterling role model when I was born, my baby footprint is on no contract . . . so back off!"

She is merely the cosseted daughter of very wealthy parents, probably has a trust fund courtesy of her parents, grandparents, etc. In this she is hardly alone as there are thousands of women in the same position. The fact that her father is a king and her sister a future queen is irrelevant. She, like Princess Stephanie, has obviously decided what she wants for her future and it is not cutting endless ribbons or merely becoming an ageing decoration.

Who is to say she has not made the right choice. Not all of her choices will be wise but then, whose are?

I think it is pretty obvious that Madeleine has and is making a very obvious statement . . . "I was born a Princess and that is an accident of birth. I did not make any promises to be a sterling role model when I was born, my baby footprint is on no contract . . . so back off!"

She is merely the cosseted daughter of very wealthy parents, probably has a trust fund courtesy of her parents, grandparents, etc. In this she is hardly alone as there are thousands of women in the same position. The fact that her father is a king and her sister a future queen is irrelevant. She, like Princess Stephanie, has obviously decided what she wants for her future and it is not cutting endless ribbons or merely becoming an ageing decoration.

Who is to say she has not made the right choice. Not all of her choices will be wise but then, whose are?

Well said.

Am I missing something?

Am I the only one who thinks that she and her friends are sharing a joint?

Am I the only one who thinks that she and her friends are sharing a joint?

It does look a bit like that to me as well.

If that is a "joint" it is the neatest, fattest, most uniform cigarette-like joint I have ever seen depicted. Personally, whilst I think they are establishing their "independence" from the House of Bernadotte, I do not think they would be flagrantly flouting the law, or doing anything to bring her family into disrepute to do it!

If that is a "joint" it is the neatest, fattest, most uniform cigarette-like joint I have ever seen depicted. Personally, whilst I think they are establishing their "independence" from the House of Bernadotte, I do not think they would be flagrantly flouting the law, or doing anything to bring her family into disrepute to do it!

Yea, that absolutely looks like a cigarette to me. Doesn't look at all like a joint.

I don't think she will ever do that in public...she is a very VIP person who cares for her apperance..smoking is one think...but the other thing is impossble for princess Madeleine to do that in public..she cares a lot for her apperance...and for what the people think of her...

only in one picture it looks weird, in the others it is definitely a cigarette!

In the US, it is not too unusual to see someone smoking marijuana on a ski lift. Is it usual in Europe for people to share regular cigarettes?

Even if it is a cigarrette, it is bad enough that at least the austrian press is writing about that it is possible a joint.

Well, whatever it is, it seems that Mr. O'Neill is getting a baptism by fire into fame.

I personally think it's a cigarette. They've both been spotted numerous times smoking and I can't imagine they'd be so stupid to smoke a joint in public. If Madde doesn't know by now there are paps everywhere, then I don't know what to say.

I think it is a cigarette and for me it is not a big thing that they are sharing it.

At the time I smoked I often had shared cigarettes with friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom