Madeleine & Chris's 2nd Child: Guess the Sex, Name, Godparents and Duchy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What will it be?

• Boy

Votes: 43 55.1%
  • Girl

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • Twins: Boy & Girl

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Twins: Two Boys

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Twins: Two Girls

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love if Daniel was one of the godparents.

This.:flowers: I hope Madeleine indeed choose Daniel as one of the godparents! But maybe he will also be chosen as best man for CP so who knows?

I don't like when close relatives are godparents, they will participate in child's life anyway.

I would too. It's about time that he's chosen as a godparent to a royal child. I was actually a bit choked that he wasn't made a godfather to one of the Danish twins because he and Victoria are supposedly quite close to Mary and Frederik (closer than the Duke of Castro *cough* – at least so I thought) and I'm sure Daniel would make an epic godfather :D

I think, as the baby will come around the time of the wedding of Carl-Philipp, that he will become one of the godfathers.
BYe Bine

My gut has always said girl but I don't know, looking at Madeleine at the wedding, I'll go ahead and change my guess to boy. An Alexander, maybe? Or Edmund (although I sort of hope they won't use that, it's my top guess for a potential son of Victoria and Daniel). Names like Maximilian and Arthur would also match Leonore nicely. Should it be a girl, I think they'll go for either Amelie or Pauline.

As for duchy, I think I'll go with what I guessed they would give Leonore, Uppland.

And godparents... CP is a given, I suppose. Although it would be a nice touch to give either Danel or Sofia the honour instead. Some friends, some cousins, no foreign royals *sigh*

Congratulations to the 55.13% of our voters who have guessed right! :flowers:

Now we can happily wait for the name to be announced. :)

My gut has always said girl but I don't know, looking at Madeleine at the wedding, I'll go ahead and change my guess to boy. An Alexander, maybe? Or Edmund (although I sort of hope they won't use that, it's my top guess for a potential son of Victoria and Daniel). Names like Maximilian and Arthur would also match Leonore nicely. Should it be a girl, I think they'll go for either Amelie or Pauline.

As for duchy, I think I'll go with what I guessed they would give Leonore, Uppland.

And godparents... CP is a given, I suppose. Although it would be a nice touch to give either Danel or Sofia the honour instead. Some friends, some cousins, no foreign royals *sigh*

I don't think they will use Uppland as long as Countess Marianne Bernadotte, widow of the former Duke of Uppland Count Sigvard Bernadotte is alive. Although Sigvard was stripped of his titles quite early in his life and married Marianne much later it is a tradition to not use dukedoms as long as holders or their wife is alive. Same situation for Dalarna as long as Countess Gunnila Bernadotte, Widow of Sigvards little-brother Count Carl Johan Bernadotte is alive.

Prince Carl-Philip will most likely be a godparent. I would not be surprised at all if Prince Daniel will be selected too.

Last edited:
I see my post earlier was perfectly timed :D

I don't think they will use Uppland as long as Countess Marianne Bernadotte, widow of the former Duke of Uppland Count Sigvard Bernadotte is alive. Although Sigvard was stripped of his titles quite early in his life and married Marianne much later it is a tradition to not use dukedoms as long as holders or their wife is alive. Same situation for Dalarna as long as Countess Gunnila Bernadotte, Widow of Sigvards little-brother Count Carl Johan Bernadotte is alive.

Prince Carl-Philip will most likely be a godparent. I would not be surprised at all if Prince Daniel will be selected too.

Oh, I didn't know that was a tradition. A shame. Uppland and Darlarna are such majestic sounding duchies. As a Swede, which duchy do you think is most likely to be given to the prince (if you don't mind me asking)?

I am going for Carl Paul, Duke of Västerbotten. I believe the duchy was used by the king's father, so it is a nice thing for his first grandson.

Considering the connection with prince Bertil it may be nice to 'keep' Halland for descendants of prince Carl Philip.

Should this thread now be shut down?

When the name, godparents and duchy are known it will be closed indeed. Until that time we can continue guessing.

Last edited:
I'm going for Paul as a first name as it sounds very modern, or at least it will be one of the names.

Godparents: Chris's other sister or maybe one of his nieces, Carl-Philip and also Prince Daniel. I believe Madeleine respects him very much (more than Sofia) and seeing how sweet he was to Leonore at the wedding I believe the 2 families have a very close bond.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I see my post earlier was perfectly timed :D

Oh, I didn't know that was a tradition. A shame. Uppland and Darlarna are such majestic sounding duchies. As a Swede, which duchy do you think is most likely to be given to the prince (if you don't mind me asking)?

My 2 "candidates" are Västerbotten and Närke.

The parents of the King, Prince Gustaf Adolf and Princess Sibylla was Duke and Duchess of Västerbotten (the province just north of Jämtland where the King is Duke). I think the King want to use Västerbotten again but maybe they are holding it back for a possible 2:nd child of Victoria and Daniel, given that Gustaf Adolf and Sibylla also lived at Haga Palace it would make a wonderful connection.

Närke is also a possibility with the historically important and Sweden's 6:th largest city Örebro as Residential City. The "Painting Prince" Eugen, great great uncle to the King was the last Duke of Närke.

It is also possible that they will use a Province that no one has held as a dukedom before. Then the following is available from North to South : Lappland, Ångermanland, Medelpad, Dalsland, Bohuslän, Öland and Blekinge.

Available dukedoms that have been used are from north to south : Västerbotten, Västmanland, Småland, Halland and Skåne.

Södermanland is also available but i think they are keeping that for a possible son of Carl Philip and Sofia given that a Duke of Södermanland will according to the will of it's former owner inherite Stenhammar Palace, wich Carl Philip will inherite after the King.

Last edited:
Leonore and Paul actually sounds kinda nice

They could name him Paulo. Paulo is the Portuguese name equivalent to the English Paul. A nice tribute to Madeleine's Brazilian roots. It also gives a boring family name a face-lift.

Eugen(e) would be a nice choice, as it's 150 years since the birth of prince Eugen of Sweden, but I doubt they will choose it, at least not as a first name, in combination with the surname O'Neill.

Theodor Paul Oscar, duke of Blekinge.

I guess at

His Royal Highness

Paul Victor Eugen

Prince of Sweden

Duke of Närke

(Prince Eugen was the last Duke of Närke)

Last edited:
My 2 "candidates" are Västerbotten and Närke.

The parents of the King, Prince Gustaf Adolf and Princess Sibylla was Duke and Duchess of Västerbotten (the province just north of Jämtland where the King is Duke). I think the King want to use Västerbotten again but maybe they are holding it back for a possible 2:nd child of Victoria and Daniel, given that Gustaf Adolf and Sibylla also lived at Haga Palace it would make a wonderful connection.

Närke is also a possibility with the historically important and Sweden's 6:th largest city Örebro as Residential City. The "Painting Prince" Eugen, great great uncle to the King was the last Duke of Närke.

It is also possible that they will use a Province that no one has held as a dukedom before. Then the following is available from North to South : Lappland, Ångermanland, Medelpad, Dalsland, Bohuslän, Öland and Blekinge.

Available dukedoms that have been used are from north to south : Västerbotten, Västmanland, Småland, Halland and Skåne.

Södermanland is also available but i think they are keeping that for a possible son of Carl Philip and Sofia given that a Duke of Södermanland will according to the will of it's former owner inherite Stenhammar Palace, wich Carl Philip will inherite after the King.

Närke is a good guess, I think. I've been thinking about that and Skåne (since he was born on Gustaf VI Adolf and Crown Princess Margareta's wedding anniversary) myself. I too think that Västerbotten might be saved for a potential second child of Victoria and Daniel. It sort of strikes me as a bit too important (in lack of a better word) of a duchy to give to someone so far down the line of succession. The thing about Södermanland is very interesting as well. I was certain that the firstborn of CP and Sofia would be given Halland due to the emotional connection between CP and Bertil/Lilian but now Södermanland seems like an even more logical duchy for their firstborn.

But in 2012 when Estelle was born and became Duchess of Östergotland Princess Kristine Bernadotte, the widow of Prince Carl was still alive. And he was also Duke of Östergotland until his first marriage in 1937.

Last edited:

But in 2012 when Estelle was born and became Duchess of Östergotland Princess Kristine Bernadotte, the widow of Prince Carl was still alive. And he was also Duke of Östergotland until his first marriage in 1937.

You are correct :) They were not very known in Sweden for this days generations (though much more known in Norway) so I had completely forgot her. But she was definitely alive then.

Last edited:
I'm going to go off the wall here and suggest that Madeleine and Chris name their newborn son Christian Paul O'Neill. He'll be Chris O'Neill like his daddy but not a Jr. Also he'll be a CP like his Uncle Carl Philip.

Back on my wall again to watch and wait. :D

I had already bet on a boy... even tough I would have said girl of you had asked me recently... Can't make predictions so I'll go random and say: "Edmund Paul Carl"

I'm going for Paul as a first name as it sounds very modern, or at least it will be one of the names.

Godparents: Chris's other sister or maybe one of his nieces, Carl-Philip and also Prince Daniel. I believe Madeleine respects him very much (more than Sofia) and seeing how sweet he was to Leonore at the wedding I believe the 2 families have a very close bond.

I assume that Madeleine was raised better than that and to have equal respect. What I do find very nice is that Carl Philip and Sofia can now attend the christening together as husband and wife. Maybe it will be in the chapel of Drottningholm again.

I assume that Madeleine was raised better than that and to have equal respect. What I do find very nice is that Carl Philip and Sofia can now attend the christening together as husband and wife. Maybe it will be in the chapel of Drottningholm again.

Eeeh ? Now i think you need to explain what you mean ?

That she would rather select Prince Daniel as a godparent than Princess Sofia ?

She knows Daniel much better than Sofia so i would see it as a natural choice.

Last edited:
I think it would be nice if both Prince Carl-Phillip and Princess Sofia are asked to be godparents, as the baby was born so close to their wedding day. We'll see!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom