Madeleine and Chris: Media and Public Opinion

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it does not look good on him to be not accompanying his very pregnant wife to the Banns, but he knows and the family knows that Madde will be in safe hands. Madde is with her family and he feels safe that he can be away for his private commitments.

I have another view on his absence, but I want to clarify that i have no intentions of offending anyone here, Dan's fans or any Swedish here.

I have made some observations for a while and I had noticed that Daniel loves to talk to Madde a lot, during the Victoria's concert last year and also the king's birthday recently. It did not reflect very nicely on Dan and I hope that Chris does not feel uncomfortable or upset with this, his brother-in-law, Dan, enjoys talking to his wife instead of Vic. I saw some pics in other websites during the Victoria's concert, Chris did not look happy at all, I should say he looked hurt.Vic did not look happy too.

I do not wish to start any arguments, this is my observations and just my opinion.

:previous: I think it is because Daniel has know Madeleine for about ten years Ashleigh... He is quite confident and friendly with her... I think he has known her since he was only the personal trainer of Victoria... I'll daresay he consider her as a sister... I wouldn't read too much in it:flowers:

My opinion regarding M and C is that the media blows things out of proportion most of the time. Most people are quite indifferent to the O'Neills. People aren't going about wringing their hands all over Sweden worrying about the attendance of C at the banns tomorrow. In general most swedes never had banns themselves when they got married and hardly know what it is.
Madeleine was for many years the apple in the eyes of the Swedes - cute, impulsive, a bit rebellious. Like that younger sister, daughter many of us have that by the blink of an eye can make us forgive and forget anything she's done.
Nowadays Madeleine wouldn't have to do much to improve her standing amongst the people. Just make an effort to be seen as working for Sweden and a lot would be forgiven.
That said I do not get why they almost invite controversy with not having a consistent way of acting. They know the media is all over them just waiting for a chance to be at their throats so they should make a decision about when and where they appear and then stick to it with no exceptions.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

That said I do not get why they almost invite controversy with not having a consistent way of acting. They know the media is all over them just waiting for a chance to be at their throats so they should make a decision about when and where they appear and then stick to it with no exceptions.

I have been wondering the same too. Especially after they moved to Sweden one would think that the court press department has spoken with them about the press.

About Daniel talking with Madeleine, they have known each other for 13-14 years, and obviously they are friends, it would be really odd if they would not be talking with each other.

Last edited:
The reason as to why Chris is not attending the Banns tomorrow has not been made public and there maybe a good reason for it. There are a lot more serious issues and events in life that are worse than not attending the Banns. I am not jumping to his defence; I am just saying.

Did you ask the average Swede in Gävle, Örnsköldsvik or Tröllhattan? If not, how can you be sure;)

:flowers:

I guess the indifference by the Swedish public will be similar with the indifference by the Dutch public regarding an official announcement ("Officiële Bekendmaking") of an intended wedding in the Dutch royal family which was already announced months ago ...

But I stand corrected: when people in Gävle, Örnsköldsvik or Tröllhattan are totally upset by the possible non-attendance of the husband of one of the sisters to the groom-to-be... One is never too old to learn something...

:flowers:

Last edited:
I have been wondering the same too. Especially after they moved to Sweden one would think that the court press department has spoken with them about the press.

Add me to the list of people who wonder. I don't know why they are making things so difficult for themselves? It's really not that hard.

1. Decide what kind of events we can expect Chris and/or Madeleine to participate in.
2. Let people know what you've decided.
3. Follow through.

Add me to the list of people who wonder. I don't know why they are making things so difficult for themselves? It's really not that hard.

1. Decide what kind of events we can expect Chris and/or Madeleine to participate in.
2. Let people know what you've decided.
3. Follow through.

For some reason i feel things might get clearer after the second baby is born and P.Madeleine will be (after a while) getting in her everyday schedule; maybe she will get a couple of royal tasks of her own? and once they have there life settled with the four of them, it will also be clearer if (and in case yes, when) Mr.O'Neill will join the family on a few selected occassions throughout the royal year?
They have been having a lot of changes in their life these last months...:flowers:

They stay to the Sweden or move to another country?

They were living in New York, but have moved to Europe (I'm not sure if they have officially settled in Sweden or are still looking around in other spots too; but I'm sure other people here at these forums know that..)

The family registered themselves to Sweden in the beginning of February and chose the alternative "permanently" about the move.

Perhaps, he thought he was marrying Madde and not the Royal Family and all these petty thing to be involved with. He seems to be his own man. He is not going to "fall in line". I think he wishes he was living in NY and doing what he wants to do. He has accepted no titles and still expects to live his life, as he planned.

Unless Chris is on the Swedish payroll, the Swedes have no right to expect him to be at every event. He probably has a job and can't being running back and forth between countries. He also has a right to attend his mother's birthday. Especially since she is getting older. I think he is being nice to show up for some of the events.

If he is celebrating his mother's birthday good for him. He will have time to attend royal events in the future. The wedding is coming up and I'm sure he will attend other events taking place for the wedding.

IMHO: Chris has no obligation to make an appearance at SRF events, since he is not a royal.

However, not showing up for your brother in law's banns of marriage is just not a very nice thing to do. I'd rather see him skipping National Day.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

Perhaps, he thought he was marrying Madde and not the Royal Family and all these petty thing to be involved with. He seems to be his own man. He is not going to "fall in line". I think he wishes he was living in NY and doing what he wants to do. He has accepted no titles and still expects to live his life, as he planned.

Yet, at the same time, he shows up for some more glamorous events (like meeting the pope a few weeks ago). But the bred and butter events, and family things - like the kings birthday and Carl Philips wedding banns - aren't important enough. I don't care if he never shows up at all, as long as there is some sort of consistency.

The palace has released this:
Royalty Speaking | Chris O'Neill won’t attend Prince Carl Philip and...

Hope now this put the things to rest. It's sad that the family has always to give explanation

I don't think so. Because of the type of job he has (self employed etc) he should be able to schedule his meetings in a way that allowes him to participate in family events. For example, CG's birthday date doesnt change.
I'd understand if he never attended public royal events but that's not the case. If you marry into a royal family, you need to take care of image and perception.

I don't think so. Because of the type of job he has (self employed etc) he should be able to schedule his meetings in a way that allowes him to participate in family events. For example, CG's birthday date doesnt change.
I'd understand if he never attended public royal events but that's not the case. If you marry into a royal family, you need to take care of image and perception.

So are we suggesting that before Chris schedules his business meetings, he needs to coordinate with the Swedish Royal Calendar:ermm: I would imagine that a majority of royal events are scheduled months in advance. Most business meeting [with the exception of big conferences] are not. So is Chris expected to cancel business meetings because of a potential conflict.

Yet, at the same time, he shows up for some more glamorous events (like meeting the pope a few weeks ago). But the bred and butter events, and family things - like the kings birthday and Carl Philips wedding banns - aren't important enough. I don't care if he never shows up at all, as long as there is some sort of consistency.

Considering that Chris is Catholic, and the Pope is the Head of the Catholic Church...I would imagine he want to be present when HIS daughter is presented to the Pope.

And again, we don't know if he was not present at the private family event to celebrate his father's birthday so I don't think its a fair commet to say that the King's birthday was not important enough for him to attend. Unless you know something we are not privy to.

I am sorry but I think some people [not you per se] are nitpicking and expecting a lot from someone who is not on the Swedish payroll. While I can certainly under the importance of attending events for his brother in law...it's his mother's birthday. HIS MOTHER. As someone pointed out, why did they schedule around his mother's birthday. Maybe someone neede to put the important dates that relates to Daniel, Chris and Sofia's families on the big Swedish Royal calendar, so that the SRF does not schedule events that conflict with their family members:ohmy:

There are legtimate reasons to question Madeline's work ethic as she is a member of the SRF and does receive some financial support. I wonder if Chris get's picked on because of his ambigous position. As a private citizen IMO he doesn't really owe any one an explanation for his presence or lack of presence at certain events.

Last edited:

The press release says "private obligations", it isn't necessary business...

But, in the broader scheme of things, does it really matter if Chris is there for this formal announcement? It seems fairly trivial to me.

Agreed. I don't see what the fuss is. It isn't like he's missing his own announcement. This is making a mountain out of a molehill.

Agreed. I don't see what the fuss is. It isn't like he's missing his own announcement. This is making a mountain out of a molehill.

And I think you're trying to make a molehill of a mountain. Chris not showing up for the wedding banns is not an isolated incident - it's a pattern. The pictures from the banns are going to show Madeleine alone again, highly pregnant. Not god PR. To quote Duke of Marmalade: "If you marry into a royal family, you need to take care of image and perception".

And I think you're trying to make a molehill of a mountain. Chris not showing up for the wedding banns is not an isolated incident - it's a pattern. The pictures from the banns are going to show Madeleine alone again, highly pregnant. Not god PR. To quote Duke of Marmalade: "If you marry into a royal family, you need to take care of image and perception".

Absolutely agree. And is not excuse that is not member of the royal family or he is not have any title. This is important event for anybody family.

He don't miss the plane after all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, that's it I guess.

I imagine his mother's birthday is not an important event either.

How utterly selfish of him to potentially choose to spend the day with her and his family and not his inlaws celebrating the proclamation of a wedding, which he will most likely be in attending on June 13th.

And last I checked Madde won't be alone at the banns since her father, mother, siblings, their signficant others, aunts, uncles and cousins will most likely be attending the bann as well.

Well, that's it I guess.

I imagine his mother's birthday is not an important event either.

How utterly selfish of him to potentially choose to spend the day with her and his family and not his inlaws celebrating the proclamation of a wedding, which he will most likely be in attending on June 13th.

And last I checked Madde won't be alone at the banns since her father, mother, siblings, their signficant others, aunts, uncles and cousins will most likely be attending the bann as well.

He could have done both. Her birthday is today, the wedding banns are tomorrow. It takes around two hours to fly between Stockholm and London. And since he didn't attend his father-in-laws birthday, I didn't think birthdays was a big thing for him anyway.

He could have done both. Her birthday is today, the wedding banns are tomorrow. It takes around two hours to fly between Stockholm and London. And since he didn't attend his father-in-laws birthday, I didn't think birthdays was a big thing for him anyway.

I think we are all making a lot of assumptions.

We don't know if he could have done both. We don't know if there were events planned on both days [maybe they decided to do a brunch on Sunday] so that why he didn't fly back or if he had a meeting on Monday, so he decided to stay in town.

We don't know if birthday's aren't a big thing or not for him since we don't know if he didn't celebrate his father in law's birthday privately. Does anyone know what the family did privately to celebrate the King's birthday. iI would imagine they do more than the public events.

And I am sorry..there is a big difference when talking about celebrating your mother's birthday and your father in law's birthday. Even if he is the King. Even if you aren't into birthdays.

We just don't know.

Again because Chris is a private citizen and not dependent on Swedish tax payer money [paying his airfare to travel or paying for royal security] he doesn't owe anyone except his family a a public explanation. He does not need to say I will not be attending the Banns because its the same day as my mother's birthday and we have a planned dinner at 7 pm and brunch for those outtown guests the following morning at 10 AM. I am also scheduled to return to Sweden that evening on the 9 PM flight.

He doesnt need to explain himself.

Last edited:
Since Chris is a private citizen, I think it's fine he doesn't always attend royal events. Of course it would have been nice to see him at the banns, but he has other plans. It's his mother's birthday, so I imagine he wants to spend the weekend with his family.

Last edited:
We don't even know if it's his mothers birthday that is the reason for him skipping the wedding banns, so I agree - we don't know. However, we do know this:

Chris and Madeleine are showing up (or not) without any consistency. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. They have very bad PR-skills, and the court doesn't seem interested in helping them either. They are both smart people, and they know that appearance matters when you are a royal (or married to one). They still don't seem to take this matter seriously, and they make the situation worse for themselves. I really want to like these two. Just like JR76 wrote so eloquently in a previous post, Madeleine is the mischievous little sister that can get away with almost anything because we like her. And I do. But I really don't know why they keep making things so difficult for themselves.

Let's give the man a break shall we! He's busy with something else and can't attend what in practice is a reading of two names in a ceremony most swedes hardly knows exist.
Sure we could try to find a pattern in his appearances if we want to and as I stated before I'm surprised they're not more careful when they know the media is against them but maybe he's just busy?! Happens to all of us, I for example missed my nieces christening because of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom