It's A Girl: HRH Princess Leonore Lilian Maria of Sweden: February 20, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will her surname be O'Neill? I mean, where does Chris fit in? His daughter and wife are grand HRHs and he's just Mr. O'NeilI. Prince Phillp was angered when his children were called Windsor with no reference to him and that's why the Queen eventually gave them the name Mountbatten-Windsor. IMO there was no need for all this. Even if Victoria has no more children C-P almost certainly will so this baby did not need these titles. She is far down the pecking order so it seems silly and over the top.

Last edited:
I respect your opinion but I personally think that Savannah and Isla are lovely names, I'm particularly warmed to Isla. Also, I'm going off-topic here but Savannah and Isla will never become Queen unless something terrible happens (which I doubt it will), so I think HM just let them "pick and choose" as it wouldn't really matter whether their name was royal or not.

Whilst I agree that Leonore and it's variants have been a little overused by the Royals, I still think it's a pretty name, but isn't what I expected at all - perhaps the Swedish Royals will start a tradition of surprising us. Lilian wasn't a surprise however and neither was Maria, but they're nice names nonetheless and I like how they continued the O'Neill Maria tradition. This is just a guess but perhaps little Leonore is named after Queen Ulrika Eleonora, as her name is a variant. It's interesting to note that Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentien of the Netherland's daughter (Countess Leonore of Orange-Nassau) shares the same name and spelling, could this mean that Leonore is the Dutch variant? Moving on to her title; I still think its strange how Leonore received one and a Duchy, when Chris has none. Also is Estelle's Duchy (Ostergotland) linked to Gotland? I'm not an expert in Swedish - I have very basic knowledge of the language - but I think Oster might mean East, which would mean that Estelle is the Duchess of East Gotland if so.

Princess Leonore is a very sweet baby and already looks like the Bernadottes IMO. I love her blankets, too - she will need to wrap up warm in the cold weather that New York is experiencing at the moment! I hope we get a photo of her and Estelle together, that would be a cuteness overload.

Leonore already has her own Wikipedia page (but I think little George in Britain holds the record as he had a page before he was born! :D):

Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Since almost an hour there is a "fake" twitter account of Princess Leonore:

https://twitter.com/HKH_Leonore

Will her surname be O'Neill? I mean, where does Chris fit in? His daughter and wife are grand HRHs and he's just Mr. O'NeilI. Prince Phillp was angered when his children were called Windsor with no reference to him and that's why the Queen eventually gave them the name Mountbatten-Windsor. IMO there was no need for all this. Even if Victoria has no more children C-P almost certainly will so this baby did not need these titles. She is far down the pecking order and it seems silly.

If Carl Philip marries Sofia Hellqvist and she turns down sharing her spouse's titles the way Chris O'Neill did, will their children have the surname Hellqvist?

What a beautiful baby with such lovely skintone and hair. Love it!

If Carl Philip marries Sofia Hellqvist and she turns down sharing her spouse's titles the way Chris O'Neill did, will their children have the surname Hellqvist?

Yeah, exactly.

I don't see that happening. End of off topic comment.

I think it is perfect..Leonore....sunlight or light from the sun. Very sweet as her cousin, Estelle, means starlight. I think the sisters got together and thought of this. Congratulations to the royal couple on their new daughter. Her name is beautiful!

Is it possible that Maddie did not want her child to have a rank lower than her brothers children so the king gave the baby the tiles.

Wow. Just wow. I am truly amazed by some of these comments!

Firstly, her name is beautiful. Yes, there are other princesses with the same first name, but who cares? How many of us went to school where there were multiple children with the same name in the same class? For those who critize her name, ever thought Madeleine and Chris really loved the name?

Secondly, why is everyone in uproar with the title? As others have explained, Sweden has equal inheritance. Why should Madeleine's child be excluded from receiving an HRH title? Equality means the same for all. If a prince's child can inherit his titles, so should children of a Princess. And for those stating Sweden doesn't need a big royal family etc, look at other royal family's and you'll see how small SRF really is.

The biggest thing I'm confused about is why Leonore is getting the title of princess when none of the king's sisters' children have prince/princess titles. Is this something that HM decided for his grandchildren, but hasn't been done in the past?

The biggest thing I'm confused about is why Leonore is getting the title of princess when none of the king's sisters' children have prince/princess titles. Is this something that HM decided for his grandchildren, but hasn't been done in the past?

As I've understood it was personal king's decision.

I do say it's not bad at all, as nowadays most royals reduce titles except direct lines.

I think it's lovely that the middle name is Lilian.

Leonore is a truly elegant name for a truly elegant Princess!

Queen Regnant Ulrika Eleonora of Sweden's mother also had the name of Ulrika Eleonora.

:flowers::rose2::rose::rose2:

King's sisters married before the low's changes. The changes entered into force on 1 January 1980. New system applies only to King Carl XVI Gustaf's Lutheran legitimate descendants.

the King's sisters (3of them) gave up their HRH's since they had unequal marriages, however princess Desiree's children are lords and ladies since she married a Baron and thus have aristocratic status, and since Princess Birgitta married a prince her children are HSH's . Madeleine however, kept her HRH after marriage + the kings sisters were never in the line of succession like Madeleine is.

If I had a dollar for every princess in Europe with than name Leonore/Eleanore or it's variations.... why I'd be... well, okay it's not that many, but still....

Hello
It might have been answered already, but how do you pronounce Leonore in Sweden? is it li-o-no-re? or li-o-nor? le-o-nor?

If I had a dollar for every princess in Europe with than name Leonore/Eleanore or it's variations.... why I'd be... well, okay it's not that many, but still....

You could buy a footlong Subway sandwich!!

At the time the King's sisters married if you married "below" your rank you lost your rank. The King began to change that system when he married a commoner. It's the reason Bertil and Lilian waited so long to marry.

(Correct me if I'm wrong, those of you in Sweden)

Last edited:
Leonore is a truly elegant name for a truly elegant Princess!

Queen Regnant Ulrika Eleonora of Sweden's mother also had the name of Ulrika Eleonora.

:flowers::rose2::rose::rose2:

Eleanora, a form of Leonore, definitely has a deep history.

Ulrika Eleanora- queen reignant
Ulrika Eleanora of Denmark- queen consort of Charles XI, above's mom
Hedvig Eleanora- consort of Charles V and regent, mother in law to above

Ulrika Eleanora of Denmark's name seems to go back to her own maternal grandmother, Anna Eleanora of Hesse-Damstadt. Anna's younger daughter, Ulrika's Aunt was Anna Maria Eleanora.

Hedvig Eleanora's seems to go to her great-grandmother Maria Eleanora of Cleves (a niece of Henry VIII's fourth wife Anne of Cleves).

At the time the King's sisters married if you married "below" your rank you lost your rank. The King began to change that system when he married a commoner. It's the reason Bertil and Lilian waited so long to marry.

(Correct me if I'm wrong, those of you in Sweden)

You are right. Bertil was the the fourth child and third son (Ingrid was older) of Gustav Adolph. By the time his older brother, Carl Gustav's father, died in an airplane crash, the second brother Sigvard had been removed from the line of succession by marrying a commoner in the 30's. His younger brother Carl Johan had the year before also lost his right to succession, when he too married a commoner. Both brothers were eventually made Counts by Charlotte of Luxembourg. Bertil knew there was a good chance his father would die before CG was old enough to assume the throne, and he could not serve as regent if he married Lilian as he would lose his place as his brothers had. It was unnecessary as his father died in 1973, and CG was already 27.

His nephew approved his marriage shortly after his own, allowing him to retain his title. He served as Deputy to CG, and Lilian became Princess Lilian. He was next in line until the birth of his nephew, and then the change in succession laws.

Last edited:
Wow. Just wow. I am truly amazed by some of these comments!

Firstly, her name is beautiful. Yes, there are other princesses with the same first name, but who cares? How many of us went to school where there were multiple children with the same name in the same class? For those who critize her name, ever thought Madeleine and Chris really loved the name?
I don't get it either. All this angst over what is really a lovely choice made by loving parents. Should they have held a Poll to choose?

Secondly, why is everyone in uproar with the title? As others have explained, Sweden has equal inheritance. Why should Madeleine's child be excluded from receiving an HRH title? Equality means the same for all. If a prince's child can inherit his titles, so should children of a Princess. And for those stating Sweden doesn't need a big royal family etc, look at other royal family's and you'll see how small SRF really is.
If many of these horrified and outraged posters had thought for a moment they would remember that Prince Andrew's daughters (the Queen's granddaughters) are both HRH and that Prince Edward's children would also hold that title but for a choice made by their parents to be known as the children of an Earl.

It's just that this started happening in the UK with the birth of William over 30 years ago whereas Victoria and Madeleine are only now having children that are the King's grandchildren.

I absolutely love the name! Leonore is such a beautiful and elegant name. I agree with Chris, she does look like her mother!

Another "Leo" like in Spain and Belgium. It's a lovely name. I am relieved they didn't choose "Alice"! :cool:

Also, I am more and more confused over this boring non-controversy regarding the child's titles. Why all the gnashing of teeth over whether she will be HH, HRH, etc??

Is it really so important?

Last edited:
I like the name Leonore, I think it is very pretty. I did however not expect the little one to get the full-blown title, my money would have been on little miss O'Neill. My assumption is that M and C were at least consulted by the king about the title. Had they been very insistent on no titles, it would not have happened. I am surprised they decided in favor, because this decision means their little girl will grow up in the public eye.

One must admit that Leonore is now the 1st spare in her generation, so maybe it was necessary from that perspective to title her. Once Victoria and CP will have more children, this one will move down in the line.

Could someone please clarify: at the press meeting, did they say that M and C have DECIDED to move back to Sweden before Leonore is 6 years of age? Or did they just inform about the GROUND RULES for Leonore to remain in the succession line, and is it still open whether M and C will move back yes or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom