It's A Girl: HRH Princess Leonore Lilian Maria of Sweden: February 20, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it's a big issue the fact that Leonore is a princess, a duchess and is a HRH. King Carl Gustav maybe thinks that is better to have a line of succession with more people. We don't know if Victoria will have other child ou children or how many kids Carl Philip will have so maybe is necessary to secure the future of the Royal family. When Victoria was born the law needed to change to assecure the succession. So maybe Carl Gustav doesn't want to have any risk again.

It seems I'm the only one happy that the baby is a HRH Princess...

I'm happy about it too. Now Sweden just needs to make sure Daniel is king consort someday.

With Estelle, many thought the name was too unusual and unexpected. Now Leonore is seen as the opposite.

Chris has spoken with Expressen's photographer in New York and told that there was many names they thought about. But he could just say that was a joint decision. Leonore is a name which they like very much of. Lilian is taken for granted and Maria comes from his mother.
Chris O'Neill berättar om valet av namn Nyheter Expressen

I think Leonore is as unexpected as Estelle, but much more boring.

The names are so pretty...but to be honest, I am surprised the baby is an HRH and Princess. Her father chose to retain his name without a title... so her title will descend from her mother only... interesting...and modern. I am curious as to why the baby is an HRH...but God bless to them all.

Again: Because Princess Leonore is needed in the line of succession:)!
IMO Swedish poster HBG91 explains it so well and with all due respect I think that we should relate to what the King of Sweden resolves rather that what we may find appropriate!

viv

Had never guessed "Leonore" but quite like it and it's easy to pronounce in several languages, so that can't be bad with her life ahead :flowers:
(reminds me of the poem "The Raven", which i really like, so maybe that helps my opinion :lol:)

True. In my entire life, I met only one brazilian Leonor, and her father was a portuguese.

You know, we have a Princess Eleonora on our Imperial Family, she's married to the Prince of Ligne and lives in Belgium. I think she was named after one of her maternal aunts, from the Bavarian Royal Family.

Eleonora sounds better than Leonore. I prefer names that ended with a, sound more feminine and strong. At least this baby is called Maria, what fills all these requirements :)

If she removes herself by converting to catholocism or the parents choose later not raise her in Sweden, that is another issue. But there is no need for the king to make a choice to remove her from succession.

That's not what I'm saying:)! Princess Leonore has to be schooled in Sweden if she has to remain in the line of succession. That entails that her parents will follow suit, I suppose!
Now, if they for some reason decide not to move to Sweden, maybe because their 'spares' won't be needed when the times comes, then little Leonore will be educated in the United States or wherever the family choose to live. And in case Princess Leonore is not educated in Sweden, she cannot remain in the line of succession! It's as simple as that:flowers:!

viv

Very pretty and dignified names that will "wear well" her whole life long.

:bang::bang::bang::bang: WHY??? Not that i care about the name, but dutchy of Gotland? Gotland now gets nr 4 and there is some regions that have much less than them and should have been in turn

:bang::bang::bang::bang: WHY??? Not that i care about the name, but dutchy of Gotland? Gotland now gets nr 4 and there is some regions that have much less than them and should have been in turn
Would you prefer Duchess of Skåne, Halland and Blekinge ;)?

Hejsan:flowers:!
Viv

Why she is a princess? Is sweden like jordan?

Lovely name! I'm surprised she is 'treated' the same way as Estelle: a HRH and a Princess and a Duchess! However, this is lovely, IMO!
I just love the way the Swedish announce the name: very official, with a couple of pics. Hopefully we have some other babies in Sweden soon!

Not my favorite name choice, but I haven't liked many of the names attached to the royal children (from any country) in recent years. At least she's not a Savannah or an Isla...

I am just so happy for the whole family. Forget about not liking the name or the fact she has a title. Be happy for this beautiful little girl and her parents and the family. Just saying.

Amen!

And she really is a beautiful baby! Now I guess we just have to be patient for a picture of Leonore with her cousin Estelle.

I am just so happy for the whole family. Forget about not liking the name or the fact she has a title. Be happy for this beautiful little girl and her parents and the family. Just saying.

:flowers: I agree with you fully!

What do you mean that Gotland gets number 4? As far as I know, the duchy in use now are:

Carl Gustaf: Jämtland
Victoria and Daniel: Västergötland
Estelle: Östergötland
Carl Philip: Värmland
Madeleine: Hälsingland och Gästrikland
Leonore: Gotland

I don't understand why there's so much negativity towards the name. I like it a lot. I love that she only received three names as she wont be a major royal in the future (if only they avoided making her a Princess as well), I had definitely seen that coming. Leonore is nice - I like the subtle reference, intentional or not, to the last reigning Queen of Sweden, Ulrika Eleonora. I knew they wouldn't put Lilian in the first name spot, but I quite like it in the middle. Maria was quite expected, but I am slightly bummed that they didn't put Silvia in there as well.

As for the duchy, I certainly didn't see Gotland coming. It's nice. I think Uppland or Medelpad would have been nicer, but Gotland is decent as well.

What do you mean that Gotland gets number 4?

Perhaps mattep74 means that Gotland has been created four times now. Though technically the two first holders were Lords of Gotland rather than Dukes.

Last edited:
Do you think that she will receive the Order of the Serafim at her christening or like her father the Order of the Northern Star?

Not my favorite name choice, but I haven't liked many of the names attached to the royal children (from any country) in recent years. At least she's not a Savannah or an Isla...

those 2 children aren't royal and Isla is a beautiful traditional Scottish name.

I cant believe how some posters are so nasty about the names. Sure, you dont have to like them but have some respect as the parents obviously do.

These are names that will (as one poster mentioned - EDIT Valerie Rose) be suitable and appropriate all her life. I really like them. As for the titles, it seems to me that this is a belt and braces approach. Give her the titles in case she needs to be "actively" in the line of succession some time in the future. I think the King would be cautious in this regard.

EDIT: apparently Leonore is boring - I remember posters saying Estelle was too different! :lol:

Last edited:
Baby Leonore is very cute!

I also like they included Lilyan as a middle name.

I like the name Leonore and nice to add Lilian to her name.

I still don't see why she had to get an HRH style, but I don't rule Sweden. :)

Afraid I can't warm to the name Leonore, which is a bit odd, perhaps, because I really love the name Eleanor. I see "Leonore" and envision a male lion, or Leonardo DiCaprio.

Svante Lindqvist, the Marshal of the Realm:
- It is important to follow the order of succession which requires her baptized in Sweden in the Swedish Church ti the Protestant faith, and that she is brought up within the Realm says Svante Lindqvist.
According to the Marshal of the Realm the court has interpreted that Princess Leonore must move back to Sweden close her sixth birthday in order to remain in the order of succession.
- She will be brought up from about six years of age and have her entire schooling in Sweden. She will be Swedish, speak Swedish flawlessly and take a Swedish school graduation, says Svante Lindqvist.
According Aftonbladet's royal expert Roger Lundgren:
- I think it is a marker that Madeleine will move back home with his family.
Svante Lindqvist stressed that the order of succession is "extremely vague" to what degree a child in the succession order must be raised and educated in Sweden.
- But then the question is whether they choose to stay in London, could the school there be counted as a swedish school?, Roger Lundgren wonders.
Måste gå i svensk skola Nyheter Aftonbladet

Last edited:

I respect your opinion but I personally think that Savannah and Isla are lovely names, I'm particularly warmed to Isla. Also, I'm going off-topic here but Savannah and Isla will never become Queen unless something terrible happens (which I doubt it will), so I think HM just let them "pick and choose" as it wouldn't really matter whether their name was royal or not.

Whilst I agree that Leonore and it's variants have been a little overused by the Royals, I still think it's a pretty name, but isn't what I expected at all - perhaps the Swedish Royals will start a tradition of surprising us. Lilian wasn't a surprise however and neither was Maria, but they're nice names nonetheless and I like how they continued the O'Neill Maria tradition. This is just a guess but perhaps little Leonore is named after Queen Ulrika Eleonora, as her name is a variant. It's interesting to note that Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentien of the Netherland's daughter (Countess Leonore of Orange-Nassau) shares the same name and spelling, could this mean that Leonore is the Dutch variant? Moving on to her title; I still think its strange how Leonore received one and a Duchy, when Chris has none. Also is Estelle's Duchy (Ostergotland) linked to Gotland? I'm not an expert in Swedish - I have very basic knowledge of the language - but I think Oster might mean East, which would mean that Estelle is the Duchess of East Gotland if so.

Princess Leonore is a very sweet baby and already looks like the Bernadottes IMO. I love her blankets, too - she will need to wrap up warm in the cold weather that New York is experiencing at the moment! I hope we get a photo of her and Estelle together, that would be a cuteness overload.

Leonore already has her own Wikipedia page (but I think little George in Britain holds the record as he had a page before he was born! :D):

Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom