Engagement of Princess Madeleine and Jonas Bergström: August 11, 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this true,Nathalie Cox?I wonder what kind of tradition is this,the younger sister waiting for the older to get engaged first...Sweden is supposed to be a liberal country!

I don't think that she is referring to Swedish families in general. I think that she means since Victoria is Crown Princess and older, it is most likely expected that she would become engaged first. (sorry, Nathalie, don't mean to put words in your mouth-just making a guess:flowers:).

I did not know they met each other for the first time when Madeleine was 17 and that it took them 3 years to be in a relationship!

So they have known each other for 10 years now and 7 as a couple!

It is something like tradition or something like this that crown prince or crown princess anounce engagment first...

Is this true,Nathalie Cox?I wonder what kind of tradition is this,the younger sister waiting for the older to get engaged first...Sweden is supposed to be a liberal country!

The elder sister is the Crown Princess,she "goes first",always.
This,is true.

It is something like tradition or something like this that crown prince or crown princess anounce engagment first...

I read somewhere that there is a sort of law that forbid to the princes to get married before the crownprince/ss

No, we don´t have that sort of tradition in the Royal house. It woulden´t surprise me if Madeleine is getting married this coming winter!

No, we don´t have that sort of tradition in the Royal house. It woulden´t surprise me if Madeleine is getting married this coming winter!

No,the Court stated that the wedding will be after the elections,so in 2011.Why after the elections?That misfit of a PR woman at the palace didn't explain the "after the election" bit.Annoying lady,never knows what's what and when land least of all,why.Haven't got a clue why she's still in charge.....Enfin....

Last edited:
Ok,so now I'm confused.Do Madeleine & Carl-Philip have the right to get engaged/married whenever they want or not?What does the Swedish law say about that?

No,the Court stated that the wedding will be after the elections,so in 2011.
the elections are on september 2010 so the wedding could be at the end of 2010 or at the beginning of 2011.

I think the date will be released in the next weeks

The news comes as a surprise to me: I didn't expect an engagement for Madeline and Jonas for at least another year or two. Nevertheless, I am extremely glad for the couple. :)

I suppose there is little chance for a double wedding, is there? If the palace spokesperson confirmed the wedding is going to take place sometime ‘after the elections’ (as lucien noted), than it might be in close proximity to Victoria's wedding.

The official portrait is beautiful, thanks a lot Ccile! :flowers:

Last edited:
I don't think that she is referring to Swedish families in general. I think that she means since Victoria is Crown Princess and older, it is most likely expected that she would become engaged first. (sorry, Nathalie, don't mean to put words in your mouth-just making a guess:flowers:).
No problem sgl, that was what I tried to say:flowers:

Congrats to the couple and their families!!!

Ok,so now I'm confused.Do Madeleine & Carl-Philip have the right to get engaged/married whenever they want or not?What does the Swedish law say about that?

Don't think there is anything in the law about this issue, it's kind of an "unwritten" law some royal families chose to follow. Victoria is the eldest child and she took her time to find her husband to the annoyance of Madeleine. In Spain both Infantas married before the heir, Felipe and so did Prince Constantijn or Princess Anne ... it depends on the situation I guess.

I believe that Madeleine and Jonas knew for ages that they wanted to get married and have a family but could not go ahead. After Victoria confirmed her engagement and with a wedding date set, Madeleine wanted at least her engagement confirmed as justification to live together and to show that her relationship is for life and not a Carl-Philip / Emma thing. If her sister had not taken so long with her own decision and the King had not persisted on that unwritten law that the heiress goes first Madeleine would already be Mrs Bergstroem for some time and probably have children.

Good luck to both, I think they are a perfect match.

Thank you for helping me understand the situation,Duke of Marmalade!
Both Madeleine & Jonas are so young and have plenty of time to start their family.
I wish them the best of luck,too!

Congrats Princess Madeleine and Jonas!They are such a lovely and wonderful couple!

Oh, nice engagement ring. How much it costed? Please, tell it slowly :p

silvia is a happy mother hers two beautifuls girls are engaged

Congratulations to them! Two engagements for the Swedes in one year. Who would have guessed that?

lovely news. i couldn't believe it when i saw it this morning!

i live madeleine's engagement outfit. now we have 2 royal weddings to look forward to!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom