Engagement of Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill: October 25, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
perhaps Madeleine dated Jonas a tad bit too long. Putting off the wedding and delaying a breakup even shows that there was a lot of doubts going on in that relationship but they just held on hoping things would get better. I think a year is plenty long enough to know how well you mesh with another person and if its right... go for it.

I wish them all the best and am really looking forward to another royal wedding to anticipate. I'm seriously crossing all body parts for a white tie wedding too. :D
ITA I think it's so interesting to see many posters concerned about the couple only knowing each other for two years. To me, the long waiting of some of these couples spells trouble and trepidation.:whistling:

ITA I think it's so interesting to see many posters concerned about the couple only knowing each other for two years. To me, the long waiting of some of these couples spells trouble and trepidation.:whistling:

I don't think time together is necessarily an indication of anything. I have one brother who asked his wife to marry him on their 3rd date, and another who waited 6 years. They have both been married to their wives for almost 40 years.

The press probably take a little notice because an American is marrying into a royal family. I'mhoping the Cambridges will attend the wedding. I'm guessing we will see a nice royal trurn out, if that's the kind of wedding they will plan.

I think and I hope that The Cambridges will not be on the wedding (it's too much publicity around them). It will be "smaller" wedding because Princess Madeleine is not heir to the throne as Victoria, but I think that the wedding will be just as beautiful. Certainly there will be a royal families from Europe, maybe HDG from Luxembourg :)

Wow, didn't see this one coming! I'd figured it would happen next year.

Madeleine is so happy and looks beautiful in the photos. Chris - I don't know. Sure, he may not be the smiling type, but he looks shady. But then again, during Princess Estelle's christening, he wasn't looking at all the cameras and went about his business.

I wish them all the best and I'm certain Madeleine would make a gorgeous bride!

ETA: the video was cute up until the Princess went "tee-hee!" That was so fake, staged and everything wrong. It was pure cheesy! She could've at least made a natural laugh, which wouldn't have been hard if she is so happy.

Last edited:
Congrats to the couple real thrilled that we have another royal wedding to look forward to.

I don't think time together is necessarily an indication of anything. I have one brother who asked his wife to marry him on their 3rd date, and another who waited 6 years. They have both been married to their wives for almost 40 years.

Indeed, and I also think once people are in their late 20s and especially their 30s they should know themselves well enough, and have a good enough idea of what they're looking for in a relationship, to be able to say relatively quickly whether they could build a life with a prospective partner.

There's never any guarantee a marriage will last, (I had friends who married after dating for almost four years and then divorced two years later), but IMO you're not going to find out anything new about your partner after two or three years of dating that you couldn't find out after one.

Congratulations to the Happy Couple and all the best to them!!

ETA: the video was cute up until the Princess went "tee-hee!" That was so fake, staged and everything wrong. It was pure cheesy! She could've at least made a natural laugh, which wouldn't have been hard if she is so happy.

Is "tee-hee" something like "Yay!"? What is the meaning?

The Cameo is a safe bet i guess. It would surprise me if she don't want to follow the tradition from her sister, mother and aunts birgitta and desiree .

Maybe...but I think Princess Madeleine will make a different choice...at least that's what I think!

Is "tee-hee" something like "Yay!"? What is the meaning?

Its a sound a young girl makes when she's in love. Not a grown woman. Also, Madeleine's "tee-hee" was painful to hear.

Its a sound a young girl makes when she's in love. Not a grown woman. Also, Madeleine's "tee-hee" was painful to hear.

Yea, that video actually was very awkward to watch. I don't quite know what to think about it.

Maybe they divided the costs? And 46,000 Euros?!! What a price tag! But he is a great photographer though. They both certainly can afford it. And that is a nice ring he gave to Madeleine. I can't wait for the wedding!

Their own styles and titles were a gift from the King and Queen. They didn't take their wives titles upon marriage. In fact Elizabeth became the Duchess of Edinburgh after her husband.
The Swedish king doesn't have the same options of creating titles for sons-in-law, and why is it "better" that a new title is created for the husband of a princess and "lesser" if the husband takes his wife's title?? I don't see a reason why a woman marrying into a royal family should get her husband's title, while a man marrying into a royal family shouldn't get his wife's title, especially now when most European monarchies have equal primogeniture

Do you think that he will receive the Order of the Seraphim?

I totally agree. At the photos Chris looks like a man who has got (and his mother has got) what he has always wanted, a perfect trophy wife. Madeleine looks to be over the moon, I hope that she won't be disappointed this time also.

Agree 100%!!!

But on the other end, he seems to be the type of man who can handle such trophy wives (rich, spoilt etc). Not every man has the nerve to do so.

Chris' mother will be over the moon too, although she has done well on her own, the DIL will mean some boost to her charity business.

Agree 100%!!!

But on the other end, he seems to be the type of man who can handle such trophy wives (rich, spoilt etc). Not every man has the nerve to do so.

Chris' mother will be over the moon too, although she has done well on her own, the DIL will mean some boost to her charity business.

He has a mother and several (5? or even 6?) sisters who all look like your typical trophy wife - so he should be used either to be "her slave" or "her master". Honestly, I don't want to know what it is in reality, but I hope for Madeleine's sake that this is what she really wants and that their feelings towards each other are genuine and steadfast.

(I really was a bit shocked to see what kind of family background he has, but then I thought that Silvia, Victoria and Daniel should be "streetwise" enough to sniff it out if something was not quite right there. So I believe it will turn out for the best for all of them).

I don't think they will divide costs for the photo shoot...this photo shoot took place only because Madeline is a Princess otherwise it would't happen so the King will pay all the costs...
I also think that Madeline is the perfect girl for him...a royal in his life is just what he and his family wanted...of course I'am not saying that he doens't love her...but that is a very good wedding, a dream wedding for him...

There is no proof that Chris and his family are after something, but many people here are just saying it matter-of-factly! You cannot know anything if you dont know chris and his family personally.
personally, I wish them all the best.

There is no proof that Chris and his family are after something, but many people here are just saying it matter-of-factly! You cannot know anything if you dont know chris and his family personally.

I think it came naturally since they move in the same circles. I dont think Chris was after a princess in particular but he would have only married a girl who is at least a socialite or something, out of these circles. The fact that he got a princess is a lottery win on one hand, but has its downsides too. Chris seems to be very discreet, not enjoying the pap circus that surrounds Madeleine at all, or that he has to attend some silly royal events. But then she has a big name to attract exactly those kind of people you want to see at your charity events.

You also have no proof that they are not going after something if you don't know Chris and his family personally. People have different opinions and view people differently that's it.

I'm still a little thrown by the engagement interview. It felt very off. I wish they'd sat for a real interview instead of doing the video- I think they would have come off much more naturally that way.

You also have no proof that they are not going after something if you don't know Chris and his family personally. People have different opinions and view people differently that's it.

i understand the opinions, the problem is when people don't consider other options!
Let's give them te benefit of the doubt and be happy for them.
Some people here expresses their doubts and that is perfectly fine, some have no doubt that chris family is after something.

Last edited:
will they announce more details about the wedding like the exact date in November? or early next year? whats their system? because Victoria's was a special case considering her husband's transplant, so i cant compare.

Back
Top Bottom