Engagement of Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill: October 25, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And what, pray tell, is so wrong with that?

It's akin to a woman keeping her last name and her husband choosing to add her name to his. It's rare, but it does happen and there's nothing wrong with that.

Nothing wrong with it. Just odd to me. Can't imagine a 'Prince Dave Clark of York' in the United Kingdom though :whistling:

I wasn't expecting this news to come so soon either. I thought the news would come of Prince Carl Philip's engagement but Madeleine's came first so....

I'm very happy for princess Madeleine! She will be a beautiful bride! A beautiful event to look for!

She looks very happy with Chris!

I wish Madeleine all the best but I must admit my feelings towards this engagement are not good: they dated for very little time
They have been together for about 1½ years, the king and queen had known eachother for four years when they got married (one reason for waiting four years was that Silvia had promised to work at the Olympic Games in Innsbruck, otherwise they would probably have married sooner). It's not certain that a long relationship beforehand means that a marriage will last, sometimes people know from the beginning that a person is the right one for them.
Is it normal to have a video?
No, there is usually an interview, but the couple are already on their way home to New York, so I guess that the video is instead of an interview.
He'll probably getting a dukedom.
He won't get a dukedom of his own, but he may get his wife's ducal title.
Whether he is created a Prince of Sweden in his own right (like Daniel was) remains to be seen, but I wouldn't be surprised if he were.
It's unlikely that he will be made a prince, Jonas Bergström wasn't going to be made a prince so I can't see a reason why the king would make Chris a prince.
It's said in the official interview that Chris will not apply for the swedish citizenship. So he will stay british/amarican. And if I remember right titles are not possible / won't be recognized officially in any way in the american everyday life. So is it even possible to give him an official title / male version of Madeleines title (the title of a completely different country) if he doesn't want to change his citizenship? :ermm:
As he has a British citizenship I can't see any reason why he couldn't get his wife's ducal title: Mr Christopher O'Neill, duke of Hälsingland and Gästrikland, to be titled the same way as it was intended for Jonas Bergström.
Chris will not attend the Nobel Prizes, at least this year, even when Daniel was engaged to Victoria he didnt go, he only attended when married.
Jonas Bergström attended the Nobel Prize ceremony in 2010, http://tinyurl.com/bp8b45l , wheh he was engaged to Madeleine, there is no reason why Chris wouldn't attend this years Nobel Prize ceremony. Daniel didn't attend 2010, but that due to his kidney transplant, as he was on immunosuppressive drugs and it was considered unwise to attend such a large gathering of people.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with it. Just odd to me. Can't imagine a 'Prince Dave Clark of York' in the United Kingdom though :whistling:
Different royal houses, different traditions. If Princess Madeleine were a member of the Japanese Imperial family, she would have become Mrs. O'Neill. However, even the Imperial Household Agency is re-considering such strict tradition. If Mr. Clark and Princess Beatrice are offered a title, they should take it. Why not?

Princess Madeleine is engaged to Mr. O'Neill | Spletnik.ru

Last edited:
*Screamed with excitement* when I saw this news. I have been taken on the hop as I really expected news of a Carl-Philip / Sofia engagement before that of Maddy and Chris.

Teasing now ..... but I expect that Sofia is fuming that it isn't her engagement that is being announced. :D

Am delighted for both of them. Another delicious royal wedding for us to delight over. :flowers:

well... if it went by how spouses take their titles from their husband/wife (if equal primogeniture was passed for all titles), wouldn't he be Prince Beatrice?
:whistling: Now that sounds even weirder eh?

On the engagement, perhaps Madeleine dated Jonas a tad bit too long. Putting off the wedding and delaying a breakup even shows that there was a lot of doubts going on in that relationship but they just held on hoping things would get better. I think a year is plenty long enough to know how well you mesh with another person and if its right... go for it.

I wish them all the best and am really looking forward to another royal wedding to anticipate. I'm seriously crossing all body parts for a white tie wedding too. :D

But you don't see anything odd with Mr Philip Mountbatten becoming the duke of Edinburgh on his wedding to princess Elizabeth, or Mr Anthony Armstrong Jones becoming the Earl of Snowdon marrying princess Margaret, do you? They also got their titles by marriage.

Congrats to the both of them! She looks really stunning in the video and pictures.
The video was cringeworthy though. They both looked like they were reading off tele-prompters. Madeleine's giggle at the end was sweet though.

But you don't see anything odd with Mr Philip Mountbatten becoming the duke of Edinburgh on his wedding to princess Elizabeth, or Mr Anthony Armstrong Jones becoming the Earl of Snowdon marrying princess Margaret, do you? They also got their titles by marriage.

Their own styles and titles were a gift from the King and Queen. They didn't take their wives titles upon marriage. In fact Elizabeth became the Duchess of Edinburgh after her husband.

I wish Madeleine all the best but I must admit my feelings towards this engagement are not good: they dated for very little time, I wonder if she had the time to understand if this guy is really interested in Madeleine or if he is more interested in the princess of Sweden.
I can't help but thinking that she's trying to forget Jonas by marrying as soon as possible someone with a very good CV.
Nothing rational about my thoughts, it's only a feeling!

Btw YES, that video of the couple WAS very SILLY!

I totally agree. At the photos Chris looks like a man who has got (and his mother has got) what he has always wanted, a perfect trophy wife. Madeleine looks to be over the moon, I hope that she won't be disappointed this time also.

I don't see how anyone can say he has always wanted a trophy wife or that his mother wanted the same. He looks reserved to me and they both look happy to me.

I don't see how anyone can say he has always wanted a trophy wife or that his mother wanted the same. He looks reserved to me and they both look happy to me.
If you search a bit information about his mother and her partner life online, you'll understand those comments regarding his mother, which may or may not be true also for him.

Anyway I hope this one lasts, and Madeleine really found what she was looking for. Congrats to them!

Apparently Chris' mum dated Prince Charles.

I imagine a semi private wedding at Solliden or Drottningholm without a large turnout from the Gotha, maybe just a few that have close friendships with Madeleine and her family.
I expect Chris not to receive any personal titles but to become duke consort to his wife. I believe this is what was intended for Jonas, duke consort without the HRH and not a prince of Sweden.

Congratulations to the couple and best wishes for their future together.

Last edited:
I wish them all the best! This video seems a little more natural than the interview with Jonas, in my opinion. I wonder how long they've been engaged though? I only wonder because their engagement pictures, video and announcement all happened on the same day.

4Pam said:
I wish them all the best! This video seems a little more natural than the interview with Jonas, in my opinion. I wonder how long they've been engaged though? I only wonder because their engagement pictures, video and announcement all happened on the same day.

Since early October, according to their engagement interview. So probably two or three weeks.

Apparently Chris' mum dated Prince Charles.
Based on the photos posted by DailyMail, Prince Charles and Mrs. O'Neill appeared to maintain friendly relationship.

Last edited:
Hooray, another royal wedding to look forward to!

I like her engagement ring. The diamond looks like a princess-cut or cushion-cut.

Madeleine looks so happy in the official engagement pictures. As for Chris, he seems very reserved. He doesn't smile (as in showing teeth) in any of the pictures.

He is not a slim man, so to look good it's better for him not to smile. After all, he wants the best pics for his bride...:flowers:

Al_bina said:
Based on the photos posted by DailyMail, Prince Charles and Mrs. O'Neill appeared to maintain friendly relationship.

Is there a link to that article?

I understand they will get married next summer.

Do you know on any date that might be more likely than others?
Any traditions? Any special days?

I wish them all the best. According to a lady Swedish journalist his presence was already noted in AUgust 2010 in Stockholm, so they have had quite some time to learn about each other. I regret their smoking habits (seen on the street).
I am not surprised that Maddie comes first in announcement of engagement; they are less risky than CP&S regarding public opinion and they will demonstrate as well that love guides them all!! I think we should expect a more simple wedding; their current level of popularity would not allow again huge expenses, as in June 2010.

Is there a link to that article?

There we go, Princess Madeliene of Sweden announces engagement to British-American banker after New York proposal | Mail Online

I understand they will get married next summer.

Do you know on any date that might be more likely than others?
Any traditions? Any special days?

Some suggest Saturday 15th June because Madeleine's godmother Princess Christina, Mrs. Magnuson got married then. And June is quite the preferred month.

Princess Margaret of Connaught married Gustaf, Crown Prince of Sweden in 1905 on that day as well.

Just seen the video and I think Chris is Very handsome indeed with a very lovely voice!! I can see why people are concerned regarding the length of their courtship but I doubt Madeleine would jump into the wrong situation without being sure he's right for her given the Jonas affaire.

I like the video, and am impressed with his accent, which is British without being "extreme" BBC accent. Very dignified and nice, I think. As for an Irish connection, well, O'Neill is an ancient Irish kingly line. "Naill" being the usual spelling in that case. Reason to wear the Connaught tiara? And maybe an O'Neill Tartan in decorations? Probably not, but it's a thought. He may have just a very slim slice of Irish in his makeup, can't say. But he's a rich moneymaker, that's for sure, not a down home Irishman.

Back
Top Bottom