Engagement of Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill: October 25, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is fabulous news, congratulations to the happy couple and their families. :):flowers:

Sonjapearl said:
ETA: the video was cute up until the Princess went "tee-hee!" That was so fake, staged and everything wrong. It was pure cheesy! She could've at least made a natural laugh, which wouldn't have been hard if she is so happy.

This is kind of harsh, IMO, because when you're over the moon you act really cheesy!

Duke of Marmalade said:
Agree 100%!!!

But on the other end, he seems to be the type of man who can handle such trophy wives (rich, spoilt etc). Not every man has the nerve to do so.

Chris' mother will be over the moon too, although she has done well on her own, the DIL will mean some boost to her charity business.

There is so much cynicism in this thread.

I did think the video was a bit odd but I think Madeleine was very excited to show her happiness in the video with the "tee-hee!" and I really didn't see anything wrong with that.

This is kind of harsh, IMO, because when you're over the moon you act really cheesy!

To me it was most of all very immature, not what you'd expect from a woman of Madeleine's age. Chris seems the opposite, very mature, almost calculating.

To me it was most of all very immature, not what you'd expect from a woman of Madeleine's age. Chris seems the opposite, very mature, almost calculating.

I wonder, too, how deep Madeleine looked this time. But then, who knows what she reallly wants from a partner and if she is not getting exactly that from Chris?

Okay, it does not have the depth of feeling that Victoria and Daniel radiate. But maybe they have. Or maybe she is that kind of socialite who does not need more than a well-to-do, good-looking gentleman as a husband. I mean she didn't realise what Jonas was on her own. Could well be that Chris is like Princess Pushy: discreet in her private life and in her way loving towards the husband who brought her recognition in Royal circles.

Somehow the spark of her elder sister's love is not there for me. But then we've seen so many real love matches in Royal Houses lately, so if Madeleine's marriage should be more convenience and comfort than love and passion: why not?

It seems every time a royal becomes engaged to a non-royal/non-aristocrat a lot of posters assume the worst about the non-royal and their family. They are called golddiggers, social climbers etc. No one ever seems to question the motives of the royal part of the couple, or accept that the royal may be quite adept at recognizing dubious motives of people they meet or simply that they have actually met someone they feel they could make a life with. It suggests to me that some posters might be bigger snobs than the royals themselves could be.

It seems every time a royal becomes engaged to a non-royal/non-aristocrat a lot of posters assume the worst about the non-royal and their family. They are called golddiggers, social climbers etc. No one ever seems to question the motives of the royal part of the couple, or accept that the royal may be quite adept at recognizing dubious motives of people they meet or simply that they have actually met someone they feel they could make a life with. It suggests to me that some posters might be bigger snobs than the royals themselves could be.

I agree! If its alright for the Swedish RF that Madeleine and Chris will get married it is alright for me as well.

When having read about Madeleine in Swedish papers there appears to be two different images, one is of a glamourous woman who likes lovely clothes and wearing jewels and attend different royal events, but there is also reports that Madeleine is the one of the siblings who most dislikes the attention into her private life by being a princess (in the media and from the public). Maybe both aspects are correct, to be seen as glamourous is an expected part of being a princess, but that doesn't necessarily mean that she fully enjoys everything than has to do with royal life. By marrying Chris, who is a wealthy man, and living in New York where the attention on her private life will be less than it would have been if living in Sweden, she may be able to live a life that is more to her liking, attending those royal duties she likes to do while not having to do things she doesn't want to do. She can have her cake and eat it too.

I like the video, and am impressed with his accent, which is British without being "extreme" BBC accent. Very dignified and nice, I think. As for an Irish connection, well, O'Neill is an ancient Irish kingly line. "Naill" being the usual spelling in that case. Reason to wear the Connaught tiara? And maybe an O'Neill Tartan in decorations? Probably not, but it's a thought. He may have just a very slim slice of Irish in his makeup, can't say. But he's a rich moneymaker, that's for sure, not a down home Irishman.

The O'Neill dynasty - O'Neill dynasty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have to admit after reading about Chris's mother and seeing the video a couple of times, I don't really know what to think of him. Until now he always made the impression of being a pretty private and down-to-earth person, but now I have a weird feeling about him. Can't really explain where it comes from.

And the more I see this video the more I have to think how fake it all seems, with her big smile and her little giggle at the end. In a documentary about Victoria and Daniel Jenny Alexandersson was talking about Madeleine and Jonas's engagement and how they were looking like caricatures, so good-looking and overly happy. That's what came to my mind immediately when I saw the video.

Most Swedes i spend time went "MEH!" this time around. The only thing that stands out this time is the giggle in the end of the video. Sure he is a brittish citizen, but does he have to be stiff upper lip?

Aktuellt at 18 have 10 minutes, it took 7 minutes before this was mentioned.

A friend of mine went "Wounder if they are together when its time for the wedding"

Prinsessan said:
I have to admit after reading about Chris's mother and seeing the video a couple of times, I don't really know what to think of him. Until now he always made the impression of being a pretty private and down-to-earth person, but now I have a weird feeling about him. Can't really explain where it comes from.

And the more I see this video the more I have to think how fake it all seems, with her big smile and her little giggle at the end.

I feel the same way. Not sure why- I've never disliked this couple and I certainly wish them all the best. But the video was very, very awkward to watch and seemed very fake.

Just when I was starting to worry that we might not get to the wedding after all, (having seen so many doubtful posts), NGalitzine has kindly come along and snapped me out of it!
I seem to remember that many people doubted Prince Daniel (not necessarily on TRF) but he has proved to be the perfect "commoner to prince". Now, my initial enthusiasm for Christopher wained slightly when I saw a photo of him in shorts, and the engagement video really isn't as good as a proper press conference, but I would like to give credit to Madeleine for finding love after the heartache of the Jonas fiasco and she deserves to be happy. I at least seem to know nothing whatsoever about Chris and one tends to be suspicious about people one doesn't know, but I think people ought to be reminded that Queen Silvia herself (and of-course the KING too) have approved the match and that should in it''s self put pay to anyone doubting Madeleine's or Christopher's intentions....for to do so is to dount the King and Queen and that would never do.
Just be thankful he speaks well, seems to be well educated, has a good job and good taste in women....what more could we ask for?

You know, I understand the fact that she went through heartbreak with her ex, but what does that have to do with Chris being a rebound? They have known eachother for two years which means they have spent alot of time together and it obviously progressed to this point. I would think her heartbreak would have eased after a short time realising there are other fish in the sea and the fact that she is worth more than that. This man must make her feel more secure and I think after two years they must know how they feel about eachother. Is she a trophy wife? I somehow dont think so, he seems sincere when he speaks about her. Something about him makes me think he is a good guy. I dont think he would hurt her in any way. In reality he probably has had his bucket of candy to pick from and he picked Maddie. It just so happens that she is a Princess. I think he will be good for her and they will be happy together. If it turns out his intentions are otherwise then like I always say, what comes around goes around. We will see what happens. I wish them much love and true happiness. Just my opinion. :)

Just to answer for myself :flowers:: this is the first time I have had some, but slight doubts. And this is because I met far too many socialite ladies from the Munich-Salzburg-Kitzbühel-Vienna-reagion in my professional life... So for me it was a shock to see Chris coming from that corner (though so far I have heard "through the grapevine" that his sister is quite happily married - didn't make the connection before.)

But I have a strong belief in HM, Victoria and Daniel to be able to suss anything out in order to protect Madeleine, so the news of an engagement is good news indeed!

And yes Kataryn, you are right. I would think the family would sense or maybe know as time goes on whether this man is right for her. I dont think they would allow anything bad to happen to her.

And yes Kataryn, you are right. I would think the family would sense or maybe know as time goes on whether this man is right for her. I dont think they would allow anything bad to happen to her.

But she was hurt the last time by Jonas, who according to the family was a dream son-in-law...

But she was hurt the last time by Jonas, who according to the family was a dream son-in-law...

One more reason to check the new guy out this time. With Jonas Madeleine just grew into her relationship and after some years it got serious - at a time when noone thought about "ultimate reasons" anymore, which surely wasn't there at all. Just a teenie or twen-love which had outlived their expirement date.

This time it is something else completely: princess and suitor. Believe me, they checked the background. That should be okay. And the emotional score: let's hope it's okay!

Well, yes I suppose you're right about that, he did seem to be every princesses dream at the time! I wonder whether the fact that the relationship had been going on for so long, people became complacent and assumed that he would be alright. I'm quite sure, though, that Chris will turn out to be fine even if the relationship us only two years old.

These people are not actors, therefore, coming across in video can seem really weird. After a while, years, many of the royals come across, some never do.

I agree that after the public breakup, any family would be pretty protective and prefer to believe that's what happened:previous:
Also, Chris is pretty emphatic about knowing M was for him early on. For a man or woman in an already high position, like Diana, or recent bride Stephanie, marrying into this kind of dutiful, high profile family would be a negative. Though, of course he is not marrying the heir.

Madeline is only fourth in line to the throne and will slip down further if Victoria has more children or CP has a family. She will fade further and further from the center of royal attention. I have the feeling that is what she wants. She will show up only where she has to and the rest of the time will live a private life. I believe the video was her way of saying as little as possible about herself while telling the world that she was engaged. I doubt that we will hear a great deal from her in the future.

Congrats to princess Madeline hopefully this love will last

Jonas may have been an ideal son-in-law to the king, fitting perfectly among his old friends from his bachelor days, but that doesn't mean that he was going to be a good husband to Madeleine. It's possible that one reason for Madeleine being with Jonas for such a long time was because the king liked him as a son-in-law and not because she was head over heels in love with him in the end.

Back
Top Bottom