Christening of Princess Adrienne: June 8, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just watched the whole ceremony. Really lovely. Madeleine, as always, looked beautiful. (Sofia looks radiant! Very happy!) Everything was great! :flowers: Adrienne cute as a button!

Last edited:
Following Royalty for some decades by now I cannot remember one single royal kid behaving like that - so this IS new indeed. What a difference to Vic. and Daniels children!
Anyway, I haven´t seen a single public appearance (photo calls, christenings) this little girl could be kept in line or behehaved like the other children. No judge, just an observation.

So you don't remember William's antics at I believe it was Sarah's wedding?

Talking about them acting up in public...not just photo calls.

LaRae

it doesn't mean it is acceptable. Prince WIlliam behaved awfully years ago at Andrew and S's wedding.. I think that since then generally in the BRF young children who act as bridesmaids or pages have now not been left in the church during the wedding, so that their misbehavour is off camera....
I think the queen was very annoyed at Will's bratty behavior back then...

Never said it was 'acceptable' .

LaRae

Never said it was 'acceptable' .

LaRae

My point being that at least in the BRF, when there was an episode of a royal child misbehaving publicly, the RF took steps to stop this happening in future. either the children are firmly disciplined and made to realise that they can't act up, or they are kept off camera.. as happened at H and Meghan's recent wedding.. where the children were only on view for a short time..

My point being that at least in the BRF, when there was an episode of a royal child misbehaving publicly, the RF took steps to stop this happening in future. either the children are firmly disciplined and made to realise that they can't act up, or they are kept off camera.. as happened at H and Meghan's recent wedding.. where the children were only on view for a short time..

We don't know how the SRF handles it behind the scenes. I'm not sure, past the general annoyance expressed by Maddie when it was happening it's a big deal to them...they may simply take the view that she's a young child and will grow out of it.

Some children are very very willful and the SRF is not going to be caught swatting behinds (is it even legal in Sweden now?) as Princess Diana was with William.

LaRae

It probably ins't a big deal to them, or theyd' do something about it.
I assume that the kids have a nanny, what's wrong with her taking hold of a kid who is acting up and just removing them from the scene?
Tthe BRF have basically ensured nowadays that kids at their public events are kept out of view, except for a very short time.. and I haven't heard of any more brattish behaviour since Will's acting up many years ago. I don't know how the Swedish people view their royal kids acting like spoiled noisy brats but I suspect that some may find it less than charming and it may impact on the popularity of the RF in due course.

If they thought it was a big deal I'd say they would not have the kids present...it wasn't just Lenore moving around and all...she was just the most visible and active one.

Also at a event like this they may feel it is important for the kids to be there even if they aren't fully aware of what's going on etc.

LaRae

We don't know how the SRF handles it behind the scenes. I'm not sure, past the general annoyance expressed by Maddie when it was happening it's a big deal to them...they may simply take the view that she's a young child and will grow out of it.

Some children are very very willful and the SRF is not going to be caught swatting behinds (is it even legal in Sweden now?) as Princess Diana was with William.

LaRae
Can't we call the royals with their real names and not give them nicknames since we are not friends with them? Madeleine isn't Maddie, her family and friends call her "Len". And the swedish press uses sometimes "Madde" which Madeleine doesn't like.

Oh well why stop there...use their full titles too....it's easier to shorten their names when typing...just like HRH the Duchess of Cambridge is simply/often called Kate. Doesn't mean you know her or are trying to infer you know her.

LaRae

Trouble with shortening of names is that occassionally i don't even know who people are talking about, took me months to get that "Chas" is in some languages short for Charles.

Agree with LadyFinn.
If it's too much work typing, rather shorten the title than the name... just my 2cts ofcourse

When we can expect to see the official photographs?

I don't see any problem with Leonore's behaviour. To some extent, I could understand the outrage if this was someone else's wedding or christening but it's Madeleine and Chris's own daughter's christening so surely it must be up to them to decide what is and is not an appropriate behaviour to display at said christening.

As a child Madeleine with her constant antics and pulling faces was seen as a bubbly, charming and outgoing child by the public but she's later told about how she was very uncomfortable and even scared when facing the crowds. Her acting out was a way to cope with the pressure of being on show. I wonder if it could be the same for Leonore.

I think you've hit the head of the nail here. Leonore's personality reminds me so much of what I've seen of Madeleine as a child, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if the "undisciplined behaviour" is actually just a defence mechanism.

I have a feeling you might be right. I think that M & C give into Leonore a good bit. Maybe she needs a new days stay with Aunt Victoria and Uncle Daniel to help her straighten out. And personally, I do not find this behavior cute or endearing, I find it very distracting. There were several times even the Queen looked to be thinking "oh dear".

She goes to school in England where there is a tradition of children being disciplined. Is her school a "progressive" one where children are allowed to do as they wish ?

Trouble with shortening of names is that occassionally i don't even know who people are talking about, took me months to get that "Chas" is in some languages short for Charles.

Agree with LadyFinn.
If it's too much work typing, rather shorten the title than the name... just my 2cts ofcourse

Names are often shortened in English (for example, "Maddie" is often used for Madeleine). Some English speakers do it instinctively then without any implication that they are trying to insinuate they are friends with the person or know him/her personally. I would call it a cultural misunderstanding.

Last edited:
She's only 4....I doubt they have broken out the ruler yet.

LaRae

Physical disciplining (spanking, slap in the face, etc.) is a child abuse felony in Sweden and, if I heard it right, is very rigorously enforced. One slap is enough to have the authorities on you. And rightly so, in my opinion.

best wishes Michiru

This was said in the thread for the christening of Prince Alexander concerning the extra gun salute fired from a military ship (the ship also fired an extra salute at Prince Gabriel's christening).

As for the succession issue: the king has planned a 2nd salute (not done before) and a nod to CP. I don't think he has let it go.

It's a military ship that had stopped a short bit from the Drottningholm Palce. It fired 21 Gun salute at exactly the same time as they did from Skeppsholmen in Central Stockholm where they usually do it. Don't know if it was a personal gift to Carl Philip and his family or just to entertain the guests and the on lookers. Could have been both.

I don't think that was done during Leonore and Nicolas christenings (correct me if i'm wrong).

It was not neccessary with a ship at Estelle and Oscar's christenings as they were held in Stockholm and the salute batteri at Skeppsholmen is just below the palace.

About the salute: yes, I saw an interview with a high ranking military that participated in the salutation. The king asked for this as a gift to Carl Philip, since CP is a high ranking military officer. So it was for him, not perhaps so much for Alexander.

Hans-Rickard correctly stated that neither Princess Leonore or Prince Nicolas received an extra salute from the ship at their christenings. However, Princess Adrienne did. Has the King changed his mind on reserving the extra salute for Carl Philip's family, or was the military officer's explanation wrong?

https://www.kungahuset.se/specialwe...pet/salutering.4.2af3fd3d1623a2c7957dd34.html

Gifts to Adrienne:

Speaker Urban Ahlin and prime minister Stefan Löfven delivered the gift of the Riksdag and the government: children's books with Swedish songs and a ukulele.
From her duchy Blekinge Estelle got a playroom, story-inspired room, which should be accessible to everyone
The playroom is made to the famous Grevagården - Wachtmeister palace - at Blekinge Museum in Karlskrona.
- This is a christening present on behalf of all children, something that should be available to children to play and get knowledge and understanding of our history, states governor Sten Nordin in a press release.
Stefan Löfvens present till prinsessan Adrienne efter dopet

List of the books
https://www.regeringen.se/49c92a/gl...teraturlista-prinsessan-adriennes-dopgava.pdf

The court, oddly enough, omitted Blekinge's gift from the christening website, even though every christening page seems to be copy-pasted from one of the previous christenings, and the regions' gifts are stated on all the others.

I wonder why Christopher O'Neill gave his response to the bishop in English. While he may not speak Swedish fluently, he could have said Ja as Princess Madeleine did.

god bless the srf for allowing us to see their young families in action. Having small children and babies during an entire religious service is certainly not the tradition I was brought up in or that still continues where I live but....it seems to be in Sweden. At my church, the children exit about half way through the service after the children's message.
Apart from the no shoes of Leonore, Nicholas seemed just as skirmy. Alexander and especially little Gabriel are my little angels. I loved it when CP picked up his pacifier from the rug...What a lovely family. Certainly the King cannot be concerned about the succession any longer!

While not the most patient person with children myself I find nothing unusual about different children's antics during a christening. As long as they don't get to loud, wild or start to break or climb something, Swedes in general tend to find it quite charming and be very tolerant when they cook up a storm in church. The Lords words "Let the children come to me. Don't stop them!" is taken very seriously in the Church of Sweden at least at christenings. If you have kids in church you can't expect them to sit still for that long a time.
That said I haven't seen the christening in question but from what I've read I don't feel that Leonore taking her shoes off and running around is that bad really.

Last edited:
Adrienne looked so cute!

Chris' nieces are such beautiful young women :flowers: And how nice they interacted with the children!

I don't like misbehaving children, but I couldn't see a big deal in Leonore's behaviour. She she didn't disturb the ceremony or harmed anyone and I loved the moment when she touched her little sister's face after the christening.

I liked Victoria's dress, but first barely recognized her with the strong eye-make-up and her hair do was for me :ohmy:

Little Gabriel seems to become a very pretty boy.

Hope Estelle is alright again.

Physical disciplining (spanking, slap in the face, etc.) is a child abuse felony in Sweden and, if I heard it right, is very rigorously enforced. One slap is enough to have the authorities on you. And rightly so, in my opinion.

best wishes Michiru

Who is talking about "physical discipline"?! This is rather about some rules and consequence, which every child urgently needs!

best wishes Michiru

Who is talking about "physical discipline"?! :bang: This is rather about rules and consequences, which every child urgently needs!

So you don't remember William's antics at I believe it was Sarah's wedding?

Talking about them acting up in public...not just photo calls.

LaRae

I remember that vividly. But comparing his "antics" to that one of L., it ´s been pretty harmless! But even if it wasn´t - this would have been one single case in the newer past of royal children´s manners.

Just look at the belgian, the danish kids, the 2 spanish princesses! Even Sverre Magnus of Norway, who seemed to be quite a handful when he was younger and had great difficulties in keeping his seat during photo calls - even he could be calmed in the end.
Speaking of all the others mentioned above: Never seen seem running around during a church service, rolling around on the floor....!:whistling::ermm:

Last edited:
:previous: The Dutch did at Ariane's christening...

I do think that few people could concentrate on the sermon because of Leonore, so at that point she did disturb the service. Even the Haga sisters were looking at the children instead of paying attention to the service most of the time; especially Birgitta was trying to see eveything that was happening.

Who is talking about "physical discipline"?! This is rather about some rules and consequence, which every child urgently needs!

Here:

Maybe I should have quoted Pranter.

best wishes Michiru

I remember that vividly. But comparing his "antics" to that one of L., it ´s been pretty harmless! But even if it wasn´t - this would have been one single case in the newer past of royal children´s manners.

See, now I'm curious, wherein lies the difference between William's and Leonore's "antics"? Because I actually think these two examples are perfectly comparable. Only William was, of course, a little boy. Whereas Leonore is a little girl. And it's nothing new that little girls are held to different standards than little boys. Boys will be boys but god forbid girls don't just sit around and look lovely. Is that what makes William's behaviour "harmless" compared to Leonore's in your opinion? Say, would you have been just as appalled by these "antics" if they had come from Nicolas?

Well said Archduchess Zelia.

Also:

All children misbehave ..most of the time it's not caught on camera. Just because there aren't recent or any photos (which of course there are) of other Royal children during engagements doesn't mean they haven't acted out.

LaRae

Last edited:
See, now I'm curious, wherein lies the difference between William's and Leonore's "antics"? Because I actually think these two examples are perfectly comparable. Only William was, of course, a little boy. Whereas Leonore is a little girl. And it's nothing new that little girls are held to different standards than little boys. Boys will be boys but god forbid girls don't just sit around and look lovely. Is that what makes William's behaviour "harmless" compared to Leonore's in your opinion? Say, would you have been just as appalled by these "antics" if they had come from Nicolas?

Well, but it just didn´t come from Nicolas....!

And you seemed to have lost the scenes back then in 1986...?! William was neither running around nor rolling barefeeted on the floor of Westminster Abbey. The Prince and Prcss of Wales would have never dared that to happen in front of TV cameras and, above all, the Queen.?:lol:
As far as I know this particular wedding can be rewatched on you tube. Perhaps you have a look at it again...?
I´m not holding one sex to different standards against the other at all! I am very aware of that and particular sensitive when it comes to double standards about what is accepted about the 2 sexes and what is not myself! But just look how lovely Oskar, Alexander and Nicolas behaved, though they are a great deal younger than Leonor.

Anyway, it is up to themselves how they raise their children. In the end I don´ t care. But believe me when I say I would never accept this behaviour, both by a son or a daughter, in front of cameras or not!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom