Christening of Prince Nicolas: October 11, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was about time! I was expecting a September date, but now I am glad the day was at least revelead.

So we have and something else to waiting for.

Thanks for the info LadyFinn. It's nice that we know a confirmed date... I'm looking forward to it!
I will consider Nicolas's christening as a late birthday present for me since my birthday is on October 1. ;)

Great date because the 11th and 12th of October will be two days of Royal children watch. 11th we will see Nicolas, Leonore and Estelle. On the 12th it's Spain National Day and we'll see Leonor and Sofia.
Two days of joy!!!

I imagine his christening will be televised like his sister's?

The christening is in October? I imagine this will be televised like Leonore and Estelle. Nicolas is the first prince of the blood born in Sweden in 36 years. Nicolas will probably get his Seraphim order on his christening day like his sister and cousin did on theirs.

Now the tabloids will speculate on the guest list and who will be the godparents for the next few weeks. Although he is a blood prince himself, I don't think Carl Philip will be one because he's Estelle's godfather.

The Baptism is on October 11th in the Chapel of the Castle Drottningholm.

I think that Carl Philip will be one of Nicolas Godparents, because Victoria is Leonore´s Godmother

@Lady Finn - I don't recall Lenore's christening being this grand, having a parade before the christening. I haven't found any articles that said that. I also looked up Swedish royal baptisms on Wikipedia and it discussed about the parade cradle to present the new baby royal to everyone:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_Royal_baptisms

Estelle was presented in the Charles IX cradle because she's the heir to the throne. Leonore was presented in the one meant for princesses. Will Nicolas be in Charles IX, or the "princess" one? While it's been 36 years a prince of the blood was born in Sweden, Nicolas is still 7th in line to the throne. I don't the appearance that the princesses are "less than".

@Lady Finn - I don't recall Lenore's christening being this grand, having a parade before the christening. I haven't found any articles that said that. I also looked up Swedish royal baptisms on Wikipedia and it discussed about the parade cradle to present the new baby royal to everyone:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_Royal_baptisms

Estelle was presented in the Charles IX cradle because she's the heir to the throne. Leonore was presented in the one meant for princesses. Will Nicolas be in Charles IX, or the "princess" one? While it's been 36 years a prince of the blood was born in Sweden, Nicolas is still 7th in line to the throne. I don't the appearance that the princesses are "less than".

The Guards at Leonore's christening, the guards were parading, I think it will be similar now:
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

As for the cradle, we have to wait for the christening to see what cradle Nicolas gets.

Last edited:
The christening will be conducted by Archbishop Antje Jackelén, The Right Reverend Lars-Göran Lönnermark, Bishop Emeritus and Chief Court Chaplain, and The Reverend Michael Bjerkhagen, Court Chaplain and Rector of the Royal Court Parish.
After the christening ceremony there will be a reception for all 160 guests, after which The King and Queen will invite around 100 guests to a private lunch. The invited guests are the immediate family and representatives of the Riksdag, the Government and official Sweden. Prince Nicolas will be christened in the same dress worn by Princess Estelle and princess Leonore and the water used at the christening will come from a spring on Öland.
Officianter vid H.K.H. Prins Nicolas dop - Sveriges Kungahus
Officiating clergy at the christening*of HRH Prince Nicolas - Sveriges Kungahus

Last edited:
Thank you LadyFinn!
The palace hasn't officially released the time yet, I think it is still too soon...
I have a silly question: "Antje" is a female name, is it? Sorry, but being catholic I m not familiar with women archbishops...

Our archbishop was born in Germany. Her maiden name was Antje Zöllner. She has been archbichop for just around a year now. Her predecessor was Anders Weijryd, who married Victoria and Daniel (and many other things).

According to Expressen, the christening is at 12.00. 60 soldiers from the Life Guard will parade at the king's private road, at the same time when the guests arrive. Carl Philip is expected to be a godfather.
Carl Philip väntas bli gudfar till prins Nicolas _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

I wonder if it is really 12 o'clock. The christening is followed by a reception for invited guests, which is followed by a private lunch. Assuming the lunch will start around 13.00. It seems to little time. Of course they can start lunch any time they want. :flowers:

How long did the christening of Princess Leonore take?

Last edited:
I wonder if it is really 12 o'clock. The christening is followed by a reception for invited guests, which is followed by a private lunch. Assuming the lunch will start around 13.00. It seems to little time. Of course they can start lunch any time they want. :flowers:

How long did the christening of Princess Leonore take?

Leonore's christening started at 12.00, then there was a reception and lunch, so it seems very likely that this christening starts also at 12.00. The lunch could start for instance at 14.30 or 15.00.
Information about Princess Leonore's christening - Sveriges Kungahus

Leonore's christening took about 40 minutes.

Last edited:
Thanks! It would indeed seem likely to have the christening start at 12.00 if that's the case. ;)

Any word on godparents yet? I know Expressen said Carl Phillip is likely to be one, but it's not known for sure.

Any word on godparents yet? I know Expressen said Carl Phillip is likely to be one, but it's not known for sure.

The court gave a press release about Leonore's godparents a day before the christening, probably they do the same this time.

Johan T Lindwall writes in Expressen, that according to their sources, SVT will not broadcast the christening on TV.
There has always been a tradition that the royal christenings, weddings and even funerals have been broadcasted on SVT. But now SVT chooses to break that tradition.
What had been a matter of course is now completely out of the question: SVT refuses to do the broadcast of the christening, reportedly told to Expressen. The event will be too costly, and the quota of the royal broadcasts during the year has already been completed, are some of the reasons.
SVT and parts of the staff of the court should have had several discussions recently and the result has thus become that the christening is not to be televised on SVT.
For Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill and the rest of the family this is a big surprise, reportedly told to Expressen. They have previously invited the Swedish people to their ceremonies as baptisms and weddings, but are now rejected by SVT.
TV4 has on several previous occasions been involved in negotiations to get to broadcast the weddings, but the negotiations haven't been successful because the royal family wants the broadcasts without commercial breaks, which is impossible for TV4.
Därför nobbar SVT prins Nicolas dop _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

I was thinking that SVT will not show it when I saw some days ago at SVT TV chart from 11th October that the christening isn't at the program.

Last edited:
Johan T Lindwall writes in Expressen, that according to their sources, SVT will not broadcast the christening on TV.
There has always been a tradition that the royal christenings, weddings and even funerals have been broadcasted on SVT. But now SVT chooses to break that tradition.
What had been a matter of course is now completely out of the question: SVT refuses to do the broadcast of the christening, reportedly told to Expressen. The event will be too costly, and the quota of the royal broadcasts during the year has already been completed, are some of the reasons.
SVT and parts of the staff of the court should have had several discussions recently and the result has thus become that the christening is not to be televised on SVT.
For Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill and the rest of the family this is a big surprise, reportedly told to Expressen. They have previously invited the Swedish people to their ceremonies as baptisms and weddings, but are now rejected by SVT.
TV4 has on several previous occasions been involved in negotiations to get to broadcast the weddings, but the negotiations haven't been successful because the royal family wants the broadcasts without commercial breaks, which is impossible for TV4.
Därför nobbar SVT prins Nicolas dop _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

I was thinking that SVT will not show it when I saw some days ago at SVT TV chart from 11th October that the christening isn't at the program.
What?! This sucks!

According to friends, the christening of Prince Nicolas will not be broadcasted.
Swedish television broke up with the tradition of broadcasting royal christenings due to the fact that it is considered as a private matter (not of public interest)
There will only be a budget for ceremonies of public interest.
So neither Nicolas'christening, nor the christenings of the future princes to be born will be broadcasted.

This doesn't neccesarily mean that it won't be broadcasted at all. TV4 might send it, depending on negotiations. The court prefered SVT because they aren't commercially financed, but when that option isn't available, the court can of course chose to bite the bullet and allow TV4 to send it (including commercial breaks).

Hasn't there been rumours that the SRF, besides the commercial breaks, have been upset with TV4 because of how they handled another broadcast a few years ago?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

According to friends, the christening of Prince Nicolas will not be broadcasted.
Swedish television broke up with the tradition of broadcasting royal christenings due to the fact that it is considered as a private matter (not of public interest)
There will only be a budget for ceremonies of public interest.
So neither Nicolas'christening, nor the christenings of the future princes to be born will be broadcasted.

To me, SVT is saying Nicolas is 7th in line to the throne; therefore his chances of becoming king are slim to none. That's how I take "no public interest". The station has no intention in spending a lot of its money for a child that will never ascend to the Silver Throne. I'm surprised SVT is taking this stance with Victoria & Daniel's 2nd child, for this is a child of a future sovereign; but I presume SVT has to look evenhanded in this decision.

The other broadcast stations in Sweden will probably has the SRF over a barrel in negotiations.

Even though the christening wouldn't be shown on TV, it is quite likely that Expressen and Aftonbladet will have live-TV's from the courtyard of the Drottningholm Palace when the guests are arriving. At least Expressen had a live coverage of the guests arriving at Leonore's christening.

EDIT: From Svensk Damtidning
SVT will monitor the christening but within the frame of the Year of the royal family, says Clara Mannheimer from SVT.
SVT took the decision few weeks ago. The Public Service has received prestigious missions to monitor both weddings and baptisms. But when Nicolas will be baptized in the Drottningholm Palace church on October 11 there will be no live broadcast.
- We look at the big picture and coverage of the royal family is a very important part of our portfolio, but we can not send everything, says Clara Mannheimer.
In 2015, SVT broadcasts Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia's wedding and the cabinet meeting at the Prince Nicolas birth. Additionally the king's Christmas speech is broadcasted and SVT makes extensive coverage throughout the year on "The year with the royal family".
Has SVT grown tired of the royal family?
- Absolutely not! We have a great relationship and dialogue with the court and this is a program that is essential and central in our publication.
According to Clara Mannheimer, SVT has not received any reactions from the royal family.
According to Expressen, TV4 has previously expressed the desire to send royal events but it has fallen to that the royal family did not want to have commercial breaks. And according to Margareta Thorgren the christening will be sent but she will not reveal where.
- We will go out with it later this week, she says.
Prins Nicolas dop – så här blir det i TV _ Svensk Damtidning
Translation

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom