Christening of Prince Nicolas: October 11, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This comes as a surprise, because I always thought, that these royal events attracted a big tv audience. So it seems that Princess Leonor's christening didn't pay off for SVT? Live coverage is expensive, I know that. But they will be there anyway, to film for the Year of the royal family, so all the lightening and technical gadgets will be in place anyways. Surely there will be snippet for the news programs as well.

They say the quota of the royal broadcasts during the year has already been completed. So there should be a budget for next year's christening of CP Victoria's second child. And of course the children of the future Queen will always be more important to the public than Madelein's children.

The broadcastings of Royal events usually attracts millions of viewers but as SVT is publicly funded they don't make any money from it. I'm sure it's much cheaper to film and show later in the context of another program than to have a live broadcast.
I'm also absolutely certain that any christening for future children of CP Victoria will be broadcasted live. As mentioned above there is a huge difference in the child of the future queen and someone who stands no chance whatsoever to inherit the throne.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

It bugs me a bit that the christning won't be boradcast! Come on, it did happen on this occasion of Leonore's baptism, so I don't get it... and Nicolas, after all, is not "unimportant" in terms of royaly, as he is the first male grandchild... It looks like an action of controversy against Madeleine and Chris to me...

For the State only the heir and the heir of the heir are important
So only Victoria and Estelle.
They are of public interest.

The broadcastings of Royal events usually attracts millions of viewers but as SVT is publicly funded they don't make any money from it. I'm sure it's much cheaper to film and show later in the context of another program than to have a live broadcast.
I'm also absolutely certain that any christening for future children of CP Victoria will be broadcasted live. As mentioned above there is a huge difference in the child of the future queen and someone who stands no chance whatsoever to inherit the throne.

The live broadcast of Leonore's christening (on Sunday) had 553 000 viewers, the highlights version was sent in the evening and it had 939 000 viewers.
Tv-toppen_ Miljonpublik för Leonores dop _ SvD

The live broadcast of Estelle's christening (on Tuesday) had 988 000 viewers, the highlights version was sent in the evening and had 1,2 million viewers.
Se höjdpunkterna från Estelles dop _ Nyheter _ Expressen

I remind, Margareta Thorgren to Svensk Damtidning:
And according to Margareta Thorgren the christening will be sent but she will not reveal where.
- We will go out with it later this week, she says.

It bugs me a bit that the christning won't be boradcast! Come on, it did happen on this occasion of Leonore's baptism, so I don't get it... and Nicolas, after all, is not "unimportant" in terms of royaly, as he is the first male grandchild... It looks like an action of controversy against Madeleine and Chris to me...
As they said. They had already used up their budget for royal events. They don't make money of it so they have to prioritize. They are funded by the public.

Nicolas is currently 6th in line to the throne. When Victoria's second child is born, he will move down to 7th and may move further down to 8th if CP and Sofia have a child of their own. Besides, he doesn't even live in Sweden and it's unclear if he will legally stay in the line of succession six or seven years from now. So, yes, I would say that, constitutionally, he is pretty unimportant to warrant a live broadcast of his christening. The only inconsistency here is that Leonore's christening should not have been broadcast live either.

As they said. They had already used up their budget for royal events. They don't make money of it so they have to prioritize. They are funded by the public.

Nicolas is currently 6th in line to the throne. When Victoria's second child is born, he will move down to 7th and may move further down to 8th if CP and Sofia have a child of their own. Besides, he doesn't even live in Sweden and it's unclear if he will legally stay in the line of succession six or seven years from now. So, yes, I would say that, constitutionally, he is pretty unimportant to warrant a live broadcast of his christening. The only inconsistency here is that Leonore's christening should not have been broadcast live either.

I hope that another tv station will send it live, ot that some videos if the christening are to be found online, someway...

Well, I can at least hope in the live broadcast of the second child of Victoria's baptism... :ermm:

Agree. As I had already said, Pirncess Leonore's christening was broadcasted, and it is a but unfair that Nicolas won't be having his christening on tv.

Clara Mannheimer from SVT to Expressen:
- We have made an assessment and in this case, we concluded that we would not sent the christening live, but at "The Year with the Royal Family". Watching the royal family is important for us. This year, we sent everything from Prince Carl Philip's wedding, the cabinet meeting for Prince Nicolas, Victoria Day, the King's Christmas speech, National Day celebrations and in the winter the Nobel Prize.
Is it about money?
- Any decision has a dimension of cost in itself. But it wasn't in this case decisive for us. We are pleased and proud of the coverage we have had and will have in the future.
Was it a difficult decision?
- All decisions are difficult. In the best worlds one would have a place for everything. I say no to good programs and suggestions every day. It's hard to say no. It is also difficult to say yes.
Do you understand that there is a disappointment that SVT does not broadcast the royal baptism?
- Yeah of course. There is an enormous interest in the royal family. I understand if people are feeling disappointed. There are many who want to be part of the royal family and follow them.
According to Expressen's information it is instead now TT news agency - which normally takes all still images at royal feasts - which now gets also the rights to film the baptism. They are in negotiation with the court.
The idea is that the baptism should be sent via social media, primarily through the royal family's various portals. Everything should be published later this week.
SVT-chefen om att inte sända prinsdopet_ Förstår om folk är besvikna _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

Last edited:
I can see why the SRF wants the christening broadcasted. Royal babies are great PR for the family, and the monarchy on a whole. They are seen as the continuity of the past and a look to the future.

Johan T Lindwall writes in Expressen, that after SVT told that they will not broadcast the christening, the interest has been large among other medias. TV4 does now everything to get the broadcasting rights to the christening.
- There are many who have shown an interest, but we will not go into who they are, says Margareta Thorgren.
If TV4 would get the broadcasting rights, it could be decisive for the future royal celebrations. In 2016 will be another royal christening for Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel's future child.
TV4 has on several previous occasions been involved in negotiations to get to do the weddings, but it has fallen because the court and the royal family would prefer to have broadcasts without commercial breaks. TV4 has had it impossible to conduct a wedding broadcast on for hours without having the opportunity to have their commercials. Maybe this is something the channel now can think again now to get the prestigious assignment.
TV4 kämpar för att få sända Nicolas dop _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

Johan T Lindwall writes in Expressen, that after SVT told that they will not broadcast the christening, the interest has been large among other medias. TV4 does now everything to get the broadcasting rights to the christening.
- There are many who have shown an interest, but we will not go into who they are, says Margareta Thorgren.
If TV4 would get the broadcasting rights, it could be decisive for the future royal celebrations. In 2016 will be another royal christening for Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel's future child.
TV4 has on several previous occasions been involved in negotiations to get to do the weddings, but it has fallen because the court and the royal family would prefer to have broadcasts without commercial breaks. TV4 has had it impossible to conduct a wedding broadcast on for hours without having the opportunity to have their commercials. Maybe this is something the channel now can think again now to get the prestigious assignment.
TV4 kämpar för att få sända Nicolas dop _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation
Hhaa, if TV4 wins they have their work cut out for them! I mean, Ebba von Sydow have just changed to work for them and she has done all the big royal events recently (including the 3 weddings, christenings and Nobel!)

So it is true that the christening is at 12! I thought that it would start early, at 11 or 11.30 seem much more suitable times...

Genuine question, is it normal practice for only one tv station to show royal events? Here in the UK all the stations can show big events such as royal weddings meaning people can often choose between the BBC, ITV, Sky News to watch the events.

Genuine question, is it normal practice for only one tv station to show royal events? Here in the UK all the stations can show big events such as royal weddings meaning people can often choose between the BBC, ITV, Sky News to watch the events.

So far, in Sweden the court has given the broadcasting rights of the royal events to one host broadcaster only. It was like that at the weddings of Victoria, Madeleine and Carl Philip, and at the christenings of Estelle and Leonore.

Last edited:
The baptism will be broadcasted by SVT after all. Interesting twist...

Sändningsrättigheter för Prins Nicolas dop - Sveriges Kungahus

- Many in the audience have contacted us and been disappointed. We have listened to them and come to the conclusion that we can make a nice and solemn but slightly less extensive broadcast of the ceremony. It feels good to be able to meet this desire, says Clara Mannheimer from SVT.
The broadcast starts at SVT1 and SVTplay at 11.50.
SVT sänder prins Nicolas dop _ SVT.se
Translation

So they probably broadcast only the christening, at least not that blaa-blaa talk before the christening about the guests and ceremony with the experts. And probably the broadcast ends shortly after the christening has ended and they don't talk endlessly with the experts and show the highlights on and on again.

Last edited:
- Many in the audience have contacted us and been disappointed. We have listened to them and come to the conclusion that we can make a nice and solemn but slightly less extensive broadcast of the ceremony. It feels good to be able to meet this desire, says Clara Mannheimer from SVT.
The broadcast starts at SVT1 and SVTplay at 11.50.
SVT sänder prins Nicolas dop _ SVT.se
Translation

So they probably broadcast only the christening, at least not that blaa-blaa talk before the christening about the guests and ceremony with the experts. And probably the broadcast ends shortly after the christening has ended and they don't talk endlessly with the experts and show the highlights on and on again.

Its the blaa-blaa that I like to see. Especially when it's something involving the DRF and the formidable Ulla Terkelsen is involved.

So far, in Sweden the court has given the broadcasting rights of the royal events to one host broadcaster only. It was like that at the weddings of Victoria, Madeleine and Carl Philip, and at the christenings of Estelle and Leonore.

Also SVT is the national public Tv broadcaster. It's not a private company a la Sky or Channel 4. It is funded by a television licence fee. It makes sense that the Swedish National Broadcaster has the rights to broadcast events that concern Swedish Royal Family.

Does anyone know if the monogram of a royal in Sweden is revealed after the christening? I'm hoping to see Nicolas' soon. Leonore's is on the family's website but I can't remember when it was first revealed.

SVT (Swedish public tv) have had the broadcasting rights for the church ceremony from royal weddings, christenings and funerals, but Swedish channel TV4 have also had long broadcasts from the events, including the dinners, it's just that they weren't able to broadcast the entire church ceremonies from Victoria's and Madeleine's weddings, but they broadcasted the church ceremony from Carl Philip's wedding. The reason why the SRF have restricted the broadcasting from the church ceremonies is that they want to prevent the possibility of getting advertisement breaks in the middle of the ceremony.

Last edited:
SVT (Swedish public tv) have had the broadcasting rights for the church ceremony from royal weddings, christenings and funerals, but Swedish channel TV4 have also had long broadcasts from the events, including the dinners, it's just that they weren't able to broadcast the entire church ceremonies from Victoria's and Madeleine's weddings, but they broadcasted the church ceremony from Carl Philip's wedding.

I wrote that the court has given the rights to one host broadcaster only. I have understood that SVT then can then share their program to other broadcasters it they want.
"Host broadcaster at the wedding between Prince Carl Philip and Ms. Sofia Hellqvist
Sveriges television has been named the official host broadcaster at the wedding between Prince Carl Philip and Ms. Sofia Hellqvist."
Host broadcaster at the wedding between Prince Carl Philip and Ms. Sofia Hellqvist - Sveriges Kungahus

Hhaa, if TV4 wins they have their work cut out for them! I mean, Ebba von Sydow have just changed to work for them and she has done all the big royal events recently (including the 3 weddings, christenings and Nobel!)

Am I reading this post correctly? Has Ebba von Sydow left SVT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom