Royals at Wimbledon 2008 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I see no reason why Kate couldn’t be President other than it is perhaps more likely that the club has a tradition that these positions are held by separate people. I agree lately Sophie seems more visibly supportive of the All England Club, but I believe Edward is Patron of the Tennis and Rackets Association. Princess Marina was the previous president before her son, the current Duke of Kent, so it might stay in the family. Either way, Kate becoming part of the presentation of the trophies seems a natural progression.

If William is a President of Football Association, I don’t see why Catherine can’t hold a President position in Tennis

It's got nothing to do with the title, and everything to do with the level of involvement in the club itself.

Royals at Wimbledon

You totally missed the point!

All is well! I am done with this topic

The Duke of Kent as President of the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club attended day 1 of the Wimbledon Championships tennis tournament 2021 today, June 28:

** Pic ** rex gallery **

I see no reason why Kate couldn’t be President other than it is perhaps more likely that the club has a tradition that these positions are held by separate people. I agree lately Sophie seems more visibly supportive of the All England Club, but I believe Edward is Patron of the Tennis and Rackets Association. Princess Marina was the previous president before her son, the current Duke of Kent, so it might stay in the family. Either way, Kate becoming part of the presentation of the trophies seems a natural progression.

Katherine, Duchess of Kent, the Duke of Kent's wife, did present trophies at Wimbledon after her mother in law's passing.

The Duke of Kent's the president of the All England Club. When he retires, maybe Kate (who's currently the patron) or Sophie will take over, but I hope he keeps presenting the trophies until then: it's been the Kents' "thing" for so many years.

It's also lovely to see one of the late Captain Sir Tom Moore's daughters in the Royal Box, along with people involved in developing the vaccines.

It's just be even more lovely if it'd stop raining! Not a drop of rain here in the North of England today ...

It's days like today that show why I think the Duke of Kent should still be presenting both trophies or at least the men's which is recognised as the more senior of the two. It's the first day of the tournament and most of the big guns will not be up against great opposition so it hasn't attracted any other royals. Yet there he is, supporting the tournament from day 1 and not just waiting for the more exciting games to kick off.

Last edited:
I'm sure she'd love to go every day - I would myself! - but she can't because of other commitments, as you say - but I wouldn't like to see the Duke of Kent done out of his job of presenting the trophies, until he wants to retire. He's put in years of service there. He doesn't deserve to be elbowed out just so that someone more glamorous and photogenic can take over ... with all due respect to Kate, who is very interested in and knowledgeable about the sport.

Yes, I agree, but it is good to have a potential successor who is a genuine tennis fan and I would like to see her presenting the ladies trophy.

The Duke of Kent as President of the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club attended day 1 of the Wimbledon Championships tennis tournament 2021 today, June 28:

** Pic ** rex gallery **

Looks like he is wearing a band aid on his ear. Hope it is nothing serious.

I wonder why people want to demote Catherine in regards to the All England Club.

Patron is the higher position to President.

The President always presents the trophy unless the monarch themselves are in attendance on finals day.

Catherine will be the Patron for the rest of her life ... unless she passes it on say to George or George's wife in time.

I wonder why people want to demote Catherine in regards to the All England Club.

Patron is the higher position to President.

The President always presents the trophy unless the monarch themselves are in attendance on finals day.

Catherine will be the Patron for the rest of her life ... unless she passes it on say to George or George's wife in time.

Or Charlotte or Louis... Isn't Charlotte also rumored to be interested in tennis (in addition to dancing)?

The Patron has normally been the monarch or consort. Charlotte and Louis, will, in time be the Harry, Andrew and Margaret of their generation - irrelevant, once George marries and has children.

Giving the patronage to a minor royal would be a step down and by the time Catherine will be handing on that position, probably in 40 - 50 years time - that is what they will be.

I do think they are being raised to do their own thing - I certainly hope so after the issues in the last three generations. They need to be told now that they have to make their own way in the world and not expect to be doing royal duties for their adult lives.

No the President of an organisation is the highest position held as that person is literally the head of it. A patron is someone who tends to sponsor and raise funds for it. The Queen presented the trophy when she attended as it was deemed appropriate for the monarch to do it over anyone else simply because she was the monarch not because her title of patron was aboved the president's.

The Royal Patron is above the President at Wimbledon. The Queen was the Patron for many years while the Duke of Kent is only the President. The President heads the meetings etc while the Patron is the figurehead. Being a Royal Patron is better than being merely the President.

The Queen was Patron which automatically makes her above anyone else. The royals have a hierarchy and Catherine would not have a lower position in any organisation than the Duke of Kent.

The Royal Patron is above the President at Wimbledon. The Queen was the Patron for many years while the Duke of Kent is only the President. The President heads the meetings etc while the Patron is the figurehead. Being a Royal Patron is better than being merely the President.

The Queen was Patron which automatically makes her above anyone else. The royals have a hierarchy and Catherine would not have a lower position in any organisation than the Duke of Kent.

I'll agree to disagree. Royals other than the Queen, such as Princess Anne and Princess Margaret, who had no official connection to the All England Club presented the trophy over the Duke whenever they attended the finals simply because they were more senior royals. That was why the Queen did it too not because being patron made her more senior. As time went by this stopped and very senior royals such as the Princess of Wales would attend finals but defer to the Duke as President, and his wife,to do the presentations.

Last edited:
Nice to see Catherine with the Duke of Kent and clearly enjoying the tennis and visit to the museum. I wonder how many years it will be before George or Charlotte attend their first Wimbledon.

The Duchess is, of course, the President of the Lawn Tennis Association. She attends as many tennis matches, in a normal year, as anyone. She has always been a great attender of Davis and Federation Cup matches in support of Great Britain as well as often seen to attend both Queen's and Eastbourne.

Lady Helen and son Cassius attended day 9 of the Wimbledon Championships Tennis Tournament today, July 7:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Lovely to see Lady Helen and how grown up Cassius Taylor has gotten.

Back
Top Bottom