The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-06-2021, 10:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
I wonder if William's going, that would be interesting to see them together. Not surprised F&M and Christian are making the trip, reaching the semis is a big deal for Denmark.

It has been confirmed that the Duke of Cambridge will watch England play Denmark in the Euro 2020 semi final on Wednesday evening at Wembley.

https://royalcentral.co.uk/uk/cambri...lation-162794/

Old 07-06-2021, 10:55 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I think the fall semester starts later in England than in the US and, accordingly, the summer break also starts several weeks later. I don't think the total number of school days in the year is significantly different though.
The autumn term in England and Wales starts in early September, and the summer term ends in mid to late July. Scottish schools break up earlier and go back earlier, probably closer to the American dates.

Old 07-06-2021, 10:59 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricarda View Post
I wish Mary would stay at home. Every game she attended (Finland, Belgium) Denmark lost. The ones she did not attend (Russia, Wales, Czech Republic) Denmark won.

I hope the British audience will behave better than they have so far (booing at another nation's hymn, laughing at a crying child). For that alone I sincerely hope England will not bring the title home. I hope the winner will be either Italy, Spain or Denmark. And in the future if the UK is unable to come up with one team they should simply be excluded from the Euros. Or why not 3 German, 3 Spanish and 3 Italian teams as well?
Your first point is non valid.

Your 2nd point is spot on,we do not need these people anywhere.
I go for Italy!
Old 07-06-2021, 11:27 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Or why not 3 German, 3 Spanish and 3 Italian teams as well?
Because the German, Spanish, and Italian federations don't predate FIFA. Or represent separate nations.
Old 07-06-2021, 01:06 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I wish Mary would stay at home. Every game she attended (Finland, Belgium) Denmark lost. The ones she did not attend (Russia, Wales, Czech Republic) Denmark won.
Belgium team is simply better team than, say, Wales so it had nothing with Mary.

Quote:
I hope the British audience will behave better than they have so far (booing at another nation's hymn, laughing at a crying child). For that alone I sincerely hope England will not bring the title home. I hope the winner will be either Italy, Spain or Denmark. And in the future if the UK is unable to come up with one team they should simply be excluded from the Euros. Or why not 3 German, 3 Spanish and 3 Italian teams as well?
Well, for one, Catalonia is not affiliated with either FIFA or UEFA and is therefore not allowed to participate in either the FIFA World Cup or the UEFA European Championship. If they do, they might send their team just like Wales and Scotland, thus two "Spanish" teams. Other than in certain cases where other nationalities are involved, Catalan players are full Spanish citizens who are eligible to play for Spain, and often do. Consequently, in the case of team Catalan, it would affect Spain national football team (In fact, I think, Catalonia might fare better in Euro than Wales considering the number of national members from Espanyol. There's a reason why Barca was in a very "uncomfortable" position back in 2017 referendum).

As for the fans' attitudes, I'd exclude Welsh and Scottish and point mainly to English fans. Their bad reputation is well known, they are notoriously violent.

I'm hoping for Italy to win. But then again, nobody thought that Greece would win Euro2004 so who know if Denmark would come out as winner.
Old 07-06-2021, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
M&F and Christian will attend the semefinals tomorrow at Wembley, along with some 8000 Danish expats living in UK.
Wonderful to see some of the royals supporting the national teams, bravo Denmark.
Old 07-07-2021, 01:56 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukari View Post
As for the fans' attitudes, I'd exclude Welsh and Scottish and point mainly to English fans. Their bad reputation is well known, they are notoriously violent.
Very true.

IMHO England always overly hyped up but the actual result didn't live up to it. Let's see what will happen this time.

Personally I think the final would be Italy vs Denmark.
Old 07-07-2021, 02:22 AM
Nobility

To support the England team, Prince Charles & Camilla asked the Band of the Coldstream Guards into Clarence House Garden to play Three Lions.

https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/sta...49330465083398

(..)
Old 07-07-2021, 04:50 AM
Royal Highness

(..)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Y.CII View Post
Very true.

IMHO England always overly hyped up but the actual result didn't live up to it. Let's see what will happen this time.

Personally I think the final would be Italy vs Denmark.
Other home nation supporters have occasionally kicked off but as with England supporters these days the vast majority are perfectly fine.

I don't think anyone actually expected to get this far this time, and there is always a certain amount of hype but there's a certain amount of knowing it's just hype and the team doesn't live up to it. The song above is actually three comedians being ironic about England's chances and everyone dreaming about it "coming home" compared to the reality.
Old 07-07-2021, 06:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

This is how soccer-banter should be: https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/15512...ng-home-bacon/
A DK tabloid had an advert in a British tabloid, and vice versa.

One DK tabloid has tried to stir up criticism against M&F for going to Wembley tonight. But the vast majority of Danes believe they should go.
Partly to represent DK, but also because their presence, not least in the view of there being a lot less Danish spectators, does matter.

It sure would be seen as a downer for the national team, if the DRF were not there at this match.
Old 07-07-2021, 06:17 AM
Serene Highness

Some tabloids will moan about anything. They've also moaned about Kate going to Wimbledon, even though she did nothing wrong - there is no requirement for spectators to wear a mask when in their seats. Let's ignore the moaners, hope that William, Frederick and Mary all enjoy themselves, and enjoy the match ourselves.

And hope that it doesn't go to penalties - I was stressed enough watching the Spain v Italy penalties. Such a horrible way for any team to lose, especially in a semi-final or a final. Also, it would be very weird watching England take penalties against Kasper Schmeichel, whom I remember running round the pitch at Old Trafford when he was a little lad: I feel like I've watched him grow up!

Loved seeing the pictures of the Coldstream Guards playing Football's Coming Home outside Clarence House this morning.
Old 07-07-2021, 07:07 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
This is how soccer-banter should be: https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/15512...ng-home-bacon/
A DK tabloid had an advert in a British tabloid, and vice versa.

One DK tabloid has tried to stir up criticism against M&F for going to Wembley tonight. But the vast majority of Danes believe they should go.
Partly to represent DK, but also because their presence, not least in the view of there being a lot less Danish spectators, does matter.

It sure would be seen as a downer for the national team, if the DRF were not there at this match.
Thanks, that's fun banter and it's always amusing when The Sun gives an impromptu history lesson. Vikings Coming Home! There are still a lot of place names in the north and east of England and Scotland that reflect their Viking heritage.

Good luck Denmark, hope everyone has a great time.
Old 07-07-2021, 02:03 PM
Majesty

Photo of Frederik, Mary and Christian at Wembley. They will watch the match of the European Football Championship Denmark x England.
https://www.facebook.com/23690385331...6190832052826/
Old 07-07-2021, 02:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Pics from BB:
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelig...om-saa-danmark
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelig...ds-paa-wembley

May this match be lively and entertaining. - And the English not too disappointed. It'll come home next time, I'm sure.

ADDED: https://bt.bmcdn.dk/media/cache/reso...23799374-2.jpg
I see the former PM, Helle Thorning is there as well.
better keep Mary well away from her, if Thorning accidentally bite Mary, she will live forever...
Old 07-07-2021, 02:29 PM
Administrator

The dailymail about the Danish support team ;)

** dm article: A royal cheerleader! Crown Princess Mary of Denmark wears a red blazer and white top as she joins …**
Old 07-07-2021, 05:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Congrats, England.

The semi-final curse is lifted.
Old 07-07-2021, 05:43 PM
Royal Highness

Now will HM send a message?

Or will there be anything of England left by final time?

....and now I find myself oddly sad that Elizabeth and Margrethe didn't have a bet going.
Old 07-07-2021, 05:54 PM
Majesty

Message from Crown Prince Frederik, Princess Mary and Prince Christian after the defeat of the Danish national team.

Quote:
Thank you to our national team for a fantastic European Championship. Even though the party ends now (for this time!), we are all proud of the fantastic achievement we have witnessed.⁣ Thank you for fighting with your heart and giving everything you had. ⁣
⁣⁣
- The Crown Prince Couple and Prince Christian.
⁣⁣

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRCp4ekA..._web_copy_link
Old 07-07-2021, 06:05 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post

....and now I find myself oddly sad that Elizabeth and Margrethe didn't have a bet going.
Maybe they did .

That was a very tense match, and I was very stressed until the final whistle went! Commiserations to Denmark.