Royals at the UEFA EURO Cup , June-July 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am delighted that Denmark has done so well and I hope they get into the final and Win! However, Belguim and Italy are also doing very well this year and will be hard to beat.

While we are on sport it was very disappointing to see the woman with a sign cause the huge crash for Le Tour. For years I've always thought the crowds get too close in places. I hope the authorities catch this woman.

Yeah, it sure isn't obvious who will win this time!

I doubt that we will see any members of the DRF in Baku for the match between the Danes and the Czechs. Because Azerbaijan is an "orange" country in regards to Corona and that means you will have to self-isolate for several days upon returning home to DK.

As for the woman who caused the crash. It seems like the French police cannot track her.
Surprising I'd say, you'd think someone, somewhere would know her.

ADDED:
As is, England will face Ukraine Saturday. But we'll see.

Oh dear, I was speaking of Prince Harry not Harry Kane:) That will teach me to watch my comments more carefully:)

I know but I think I referred to another comment (the one from ACO) ;) And Prince Harry did absolutely nothing for an english win tonight, whereas Harry Kane scored the winning goal ;)

@Heavs: I didnt expect it as well, but hoped for it.

Back to topic, to me only William seemed to fully enjoy it from the Cambridges. But thats just my pov.

He's a child and I think needed to be dressed less formally. My take on it. Maybe when he gets older he and some school friends could be there with their parents. I think sports should be fun time and down time and not used as "preparation for future role." George has years to go yet for that IMO.

He's a child and I think needed to be dressed less formally. My take on it. Maybe when he gets older he and some school friends could be there with their parents. I think sports should be fun time and down time and not used as "preparation for future role." George has years to go yet for that IMO.

I thought that at first, but then it occurred to me that George might have liked the fact that he was dressed like the rest of the "big boys." ?

Wonderful photo of all three Cambridges clapping and cheering enthusiastically at the match. Seeing George at the match today reminds me of when William would accompany his mother to the Wimbledon matches. Come to think of it, William would be dressed in a suit and tie just like his son is today.

Last edited:
I'm not sure whether there's a dress code in the VIP area .... David Beckham was very smartly dressed in a suit and tie, but Ed Sheeran was in a football shirt and jeans!

I think it's a YMMV situation. He was in the VIP/Royal box and everyone (apart from Ed Sheeran) was dressed in a suit.

The royals don't dress formally for every sporting event (see the Cambridges watching Villa in 2019) but William was there in an official role.

I would have been fine if they'd put him in an England shirt but I'm also fine with them introducing him to publicly wearing a suit here as well. It can be both - a fun events to brag about to his friends and an introduction with a more formal aspect.

I'm sure there will be dozens of times in the next few years where he's spotted in the stands with friends in team shirts.

And he's been having various events like the Christmas puddings thing to start to learn about his role....

Isn't the Duke the President of England's Football Association?

Yes, he is, but the President is just a figurehead. Policymaking power actually lies with the Chairman, currently Mr Peter McCormick.

That's what we always say at this point! :D
But I'm glad England won tonight, I frankly didn't expect it.

There are actually quite a few photos now where it seemed George was definitely enjoying it but it probably was overwhelming as well. Not least because it's 45,000 people in the stadium.

And there's absolutely no missing the fact that William enjoys this particular job.

George is old enough to understand that he and his family will be a focus of attention at public outings like these, so likely some added pressure there, but I find a lot of younger kids look a little out of sorts at big sporting events like these. I go to various games with my husband once or twice a year - pre COVID, obviously - and it’s a weird environment if you’re not used to it, even as an adult. George seemed to be having a good time for the most part. Not as much fun as William, clearly!

Do the Swedish royals ever show up to support the national team?

Daniel and Estelle went to Nice in 2019 to watch the game between Sweden and Thailand in the Ladies World Championships.

I don't know whether this belongs here on in the DRF threads:
https://www.bt.dk/royale/anders-hemmingsen-afsloerer-saadan-sneg-jeg-mig-til-en-selfie-med-prinsesse

Anyway, it's the background story of the photo of Isabella Monday evening.
It was a part of a selfie by the Instagrammer Anders Hemmingsen (AH from now on). I have no idea who he is.

He explains that he sat in an ordinary row and watched the match with DK versus Russia when he spotted Isabella in the VIP section close by.
Finding her a cool girl with spirit he thought it would be nice to have a photo with her.
So when Isabella's friend passed close to his seat, he presented himself (he normally doesn't post selfies on his profile and asked the friend whether she would ask Isabella for a pose.
Isabella ran down to him and posed. AH thanked her and Isabella went back to her seat.

AH often post photos of the DRF in funny or odd situations and the number of likes reflect their status. Top is QMII, followed by M&F and children, and further down in regards to likes are Joachim and our Marie with children and Benedikte.

AH says he would never ask Frederik for a selfie, he believe that the royals should be left in peace, but in the case of Isabella he made an exception. She's a likable and relatable girl, albeit very special and will no doubt appeal to his younger followers.

- Well, I hope it doesn't become a habit that the royal children are asked for selfies all the time by all sorts of online-profiles who are angling for likes.

Maybe I’m being unfair to this man because I’m not familiar with his history with the DRF, but this doesn’t seem ok to me. He wouldn’t bother the middle aged man for a selfie but has no problem imposing on the attractive teenaged “cool girl with spirit?” Surprise, surprise.

If Isabella and her parents are ok with members of the public occasionally asking to take her picture when she’s at public events that’s one thing. It’s probably overall a good thing for the children to get used to handling these requests - including learning how to politely but firmly decline when they’re not comfortable. But this particular episode doesn’t paint the man in a very favourable light.

I think we have seen two examples in the past couple of weeks of William showing his children the difference between 'formal' and 'informal' events. The event on Father's Day where he started the race with the children was an informal event so they were all dressed appropriately for a fun day out. This event was a formal event and so even though they could enjoy themselves they had to dress the part as well. This event is in the CC while the Father's Day event wasn't.

Hello everyone, I am Benita and I'm glad to be here.?

And there's absolutely no missing the fact that William enjoys this particular job.

I saw a photo of William celebrating! Lol There’s no doubt he really does like this job!

And, congrats to the England fans!

Daniel attended the opening match of UEFA Women's Euro 2013, Sweden-Denmark, in Gothenburg in July 2013.
Daniel attended UEFA EURO 2016 football match Republic of Ireland-Sweden in Paris in June 2016.
Carl Philip attended UEFA EURO 2016 football match Sweden-Belgium in Nice in June 2016.
Daniel and Estelle attended FIFA Women's World Cup match Sweden-Thailand in Nice in June 2019.

They support several of their national teams i think, i seem to remember them at icehockey (and handbal and curling too if i'm not mistaken) (and nordic wintersports)

Maybe I’m being unfair to this man because I’m not familiar with his history with the DRF, but this doesn’t seem ok to me. He wouldn’t bother the middle aged man for a selfie but has no problem imposing on the attractive teenaged “cool girl with spirit?” Surprise, surprise.

If Isabella and her parents are ok with members of the public occasionally asking to take her picture when she’s at public events that’s one thing. It’s probably overall a good thing for the children to get used to handling these requests - including learning how to politely but firmly decline when they’re not comfortable. But this particular episode doesn’t paint the man in a very favourable light.

This is the first generation of young royals to grow up in the era when nearly everyone's got a camera phone on them, and it's going to be something quite difficult for them to handle ... say no, and people are going to be complaining that they're stand-offish and unfriendly, say yes and a) they could be pestered all the time and b) photos which they may not like could go viral. It's a difficult one.

Daniel and Estelle went to Nice in 2019 to watch the game between Sweden and Thailand in the Ladies World Championships.
But no appearances at UEFA this time round.

But no appearances at UEFA this time round.

Because all Sweden matches at EURO 2020 were "away games" (Spain, Russia, Scotland).

Actually so far all royals only attended the "home games" (except K Philippe who attended the match between Belgium and Denmark at Copenhagen).

Danish royal attended all three group stage matches which were at Copenhagen (their round of 16 with Wales was at the Netherlands so no royal attendance). The Dutch attended one group stage match which was at Amsterdam (BTW all their group stage matches were at Amsterdam, round of 16 at Russia). K Felipe attended the group stage match with Sweden at Sevilla (similar to the Dutch, all their group stage matches were at Sevilla, round of 16 at Denmark). England is lucky to have all their matches so far at Wembley, London (and I was actually surprised that William only attended two matches so far considering that they were all "home games" at London and he is also the FA president, but well probably he got other things to do).

The only two kingdoms who didn't have any "home games" at EURO 2020 were Sweden and Belgium. As mentioned, K Philippe is the only royal "go outside" and attended the group stage match with Denmark at Copenhagen.

By that, I don't expect any royal attendance next round as all upcoming quarter-finals are "away games" (Spain > Saint Petersburg, Belgiun > Munich, Denmark > Baku, England > Rome, I lowkeyly hope K Philippe will bring his kids to Germany though:lol:.)

Last edited:
King Albert and Queen Paola will watch today in Munich the match Belgium-Italy

""Queen Paola will watch the match (Belgium-Italy) together with King Albert. Football for Her Majesty is a party, no matter who wins between Italy and Belgium.""

"How does Queen Paola view Belgium-Italy? I asked after: “She will watch with King Albert. Football is a celebration for Her Majesty, no matter who wins: Italy or Belgium. They are also celebrating their 62nd wedding anniversary. It will be a festive moment anyway." "

Last edited:
Will be nice to see Albert II and Queen Paola , i don't I've seen them at a football match in the past,will be interesting with the Belguim v's Italy I think ;)

Prince Christian have a problem to watch the match Czech Republic- Denmark:

"The technique failed, but thank goodness for an alternative. Despite the size, it is with excitement that we follow closely (very closely) in tonight's big match… .. and it looks good! ������������������������"

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQ31fsOAJHO/

So far Denmark after the first half wins 2-0

(..)

Prince Joachim with family from Paris happy for the win of Denmark

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQ3-opygdC-/

Last edited by a moderator:
The Czech Republic have scored a goal so 2-1 but I think Denmark are the superior team tonight.

England defeated Ukraine 4-0 and will face Denmark on Wednesday at Wembley. Hope we see some more royals in attendance!

The entire stadium will be wearing the same colors. :lol:

Semi final games:
Italy - Spain (Tuesday 6)
England - Denmark (Wednesday 7)

I would like Denmark and Spain to reach the final.

Back
Top Bottom