Royals at the Tokyo 2021 Summer Olympics

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iceflower

Administrator
Site Team
Country
Germany

The Olympic Summer Games have officially been opened with an Opening Ceremony in Tokyo today, July 23 and will end on August 8, 2021.

Due to the current coronavirus pandemic the number of royals attending is limited.

Among those attending the opening ceremony today have been Emperor Naruhito, Grand Duke Henri, Prince Albert of Monaco.

** rex gallery ** gettyimages gallery **

** Monarchie.Lu: Jeux Olympiques et Paralympiques d’Été 2020 - Cérémonie d'ouverture **

** hola article: Naruhito de Japón inaugura los Juegos Olímpicos rodeado de 'royals' y jefes de estado **

Last edited:
Are there any royals who are competing?

Emperor greets visiting foreign dignitaries | NHK WORLD-JAPAN News (includes video)
[...]

French President Emmanuel Macron and US first lady Jill Biden were among the 12 dignitaries from 11 countries who visited the Imperial Palace on Friday.

[...]

The Emperor said he has "a lasting memory of the closing ceremony of the 1964 Tokyo Olympics where athletes from different countries paraded together shoulder to shoulder, not divided by country." He said "this became the source of my wish for world peace."

The Emperor expressed the hope that the "Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games will remind us of the spirit of Olympism, peace and harmony, and that we will relay the torch of that spirit to the future."

Imperial household officials say the Emperor later chatted with each of the guests at the Matsukaze-no-Ma Drawing Room.

[...]

Last edited:
I sat up to 1 am to watch the opening ceremony. I always enjoy the athletes coming into the stadium, especially to see the colourful uniforms. The cameras briefly showed King Phillippe of Belgium when his country entered. And I thought at the time the blonde lady next to him wasn't Queen Mathilde but looked more like Crown Princess Mette of Norway. But it was very brief and with them wearing masks maybe I was mistaken.

:previous:

Are you sure? I rather doubt that King Philippe is in Tokyo, yesterday he and Queen Mathilde had a virtual conversation with Belgian athletes in Tokyo from the Palace in Brussels. So I doubt he has flown there only a few hours later. And to me it is less likely that Crown Princess Mette of Norway attends the games, her health condition in combination with the corona situation, plus her fear of flying..I don't think she's there..

Prince Albert attended a fencing competition today, July 24:

** Pic **

Last edited:
:previous: Mette-Marit is unlikely at there too as she had attended the commemorative events for the terror attack 10 years ago......

I didn't see K.Philip of Belgium in the opening ceremony (did see P.Albert of Monaco and GD Henri of Luxemburg), but i'm not sure who was shown in the stands for Belgium...
Most likely it was one of the belgian IOC members, maybe Pierre Olivier Beckers, he has a somewhat similar look to the king (esp. when wearing a mask..)

Lucky our King was not there , 2 of our Champions lost !
To me The Grand Duke of Luxembourg and the Prince of Monaco are there. The two smallest Countries of Europe !

The only royals I saw were GD Henri and Prince Albert II, plus Emperor Naruhito of course. I believe I saw Jill Biden (the US First Lady) and President Macron during the athletes' parade, but it was very quick.

Are you sure? I rather doubt that King Philippe is in Tokyo, yesterday he and Queen Mathilde had a virtual conversation with Belgian athletes in Tokyo from the Palace in Brussels. So I doubt he has flown there only a few hours later. And to me it is less likely that Crown Princess Mette of Norway attends the games, her health condition in combination with the corona situation, plus her fear of flying..I don't think she's there..

Prince Albert attended a fencing competition today, July 24:

** Pic **

I had another look at the footage this morning when Belgium came in to the stadium and as you pointed out I was wrong. Like I said it was a fleeting glimpse of the Royal box and I thought it looked like King Phillipe. Sorry for posting the wrong thing.
By the way Tokyo is exactly one hour behind Australian Eastern Time. So for us watching here it's not too bad with the time difference.

Last edited:

No problem at all :flowers:

Today, July 25, Prince Albert watched a swimming competition:

** Pic **

25 july: GD Henri presented the medals at the cycling women's road race

The link is showing one photo at the swimming competition only.

Here are the photos of him presenting the medals after the Women's road race today :flowers:

** gettyimages gallery **

And some photos of today shared by the court:

** instagram gallery **

Last edited:
So it seems to be just the Grand Duke of Luxembourg and the Prince of Monaco from Europe in attendance.

Prince Albert presented the medals at the Women's 100m Breaststroke medal ceremony today, July 27:

** rex gallery ** ppe gallery **

And he watched the Women's 3x3 basketball pool round match between the United States and Japan:

** rex gallery **

Yesterday, July 26, Prince Albert as Patron of the World Olympians Association participated in a virtual ceremony for the five new Olympians for Life:

** olympians: Introducing our newest Olympians for Life **

Last edited:
Prince Albert watched the 3x3 Basketball competition today, July 28:

** Pic **

Almost but not quite there for Princess Nathalie and her young Danish national dressage team. After a bit of an off-day yesterday, the team came in 4th although they'd been hoping for bronze and individually today, the riders came in 11th, 7th and Charlotte Dujardin barely outranked Cathrine Dufour who ended up in 4th place.

Dufour spoke of head coach Princess Nathalie after yesterday's team final:

Nathalie is just really amazing. She has her heart in it like no one else and that's why [she shows her emotions] both when it's going our way and when it isn't. It's actually just really nice because we all feel that way. When it's going your way, you're weeping with you and it's amazing. When it goes like it did today, it's just annoying. She's human like everyone else, she's an amazing head coach and she does everything she can for us.

Source: BT: Dufour hylder prinsesse Nathalie: 'Hun gør det som ingen anden'

Not in Tokyo but from her German home at Berleburg Castle, Princess Benedikte follows the performances of the Danish dressage riders at the Olympic Games inTokyo

https://scontent.fath3-4.fna.fbcdn....=9ee496c2981391cdf8f0183fbb0beffa&oe=6125E6E0

https://www.instagram.com/p/CR3OO_fAwie/
The text says that she's watching the games in the home of some friends.

Nettyroyal has made a blogpost about the royals and nobles attending and competing in the Tokyo Olympics.

https://www.nettyroyal.nl/various-events/nobles-and-royals-at-the-olympic-games-tokyo-2021/

Last edited by a moderator:
Prince Albert presented the medals after the rowing competition today, July 29:

** gtresnews gallery **

And he attended the Women’s Rugby match between Team United States and Team Japan:

** Pic **

Last edited:
Prince Feisal bin Al Hussein has presented the medals following the Men's Kayak Slalom Final at Kasai Canoe Slalom Centre today, July 30:

** Pic **

And Prince Albert attended the judo events:

** Pic **

Last edited:
Prince Albert was seen taking some photos himself at the Equestrian Park today, July 31:

** Pic **

Back
Top Bottom