The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-23-2021, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Royals at the Tokyo 2021 Summer Olympics

The Olympic Summer Games have officially been opened with an Opening Ceremony in Tokyo today, July 23 and will end on August 8, 2021.

Due to the current coronavirus pandemic the number of royals attending is limited.

Among those attending the opening ceremony today have been Emperor Naruhito, Grand Duke Henri, Prince Albert of Monaco.

** rex gallery ** gettyimages gallery **

** Monarchie.Lu: Jeux Olympiques et Paralympiques d’Été 2020 - Cérémonie d'ouverture **

** hola article: Naruhito de Japón inaugura los Juegos Olímpicos rodeado de 'royals' y jefes de estado **

Old 07-23-2021, 07:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

Are there any royals who are competing?

Old 07-23-2021, 08:40 AM
Nobility

Visiting heads of state, including monarchs (GD Henri, P Albert, who else?) were received in audience by Emperor Naruhito prior to the opening ceremony of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

Photos https://monarchie.lu/fr/actualites/j...erial-de-tokyo
Old 07-24-2021, 12:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Emperor greets visiting foreign dignitaries | NHK WORLD-JAPAN News (includes video)
Quote:
[...]

French President Emmanuel Macron and US first lady Jill Biden were among the 12 dignitaries from 11 countries who visited the Imperial Palace on Friday.

[...]

The Emperor said he has "a lasting memory of the closing ceremony of the 1964 Tokyo Olympics where athletes from different countries paraded together shoulder to shoulder, not divided by country." He said "this became the source of my wish for world peace."

The Emperor expressed the hope that the "Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games will remind us of the spirit of Olympism, peace and harmony, and that we will relay the torch of that spirit to the future."

Imperial household officials say the Emperor later chatted with each of the guests at the Matsukaze-no-Ma Drawing Room.

[...]

Old 07-24-2021, 12:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

I sat up to 1 am to watch the opening ceremony. I always enjoy the athletes coming into the stadium, especially to see the colourful uniforms. The cameras briefly showed King Phillippe of Belgium when his country entered. And I thought at the time the blonde lady next to him wasn't Queen Mathilde but looked more like Crown Princess Mette of Norway. But it was very brief and with them wearing masks maybe I was mistaken.
Old 07-24-2021, 07:26 AM
Administrator

Are you sure? I rather doubt that King Philippe is in Tokyo, yesterday he and Queen Mathilde had a virtual conversation with Belgian athletes in Tokyo from the Palace in Brussels. So I doubt he has flown there only a few hours later. And to me it is less likely that Crown Princess Mette of Norway attends the games, her health condition in combination with the corona situation, plus her fear of flying..I don't think she's there..

Prince Albert attended a fencing competition today, July 24:

** Pic **
Old 07-24-2021, 11:09 AM
Courtier

Mette-Marit is unlikely at there too as she had attended the commemorative events for the terror attack 10 years ago......
Old 07-24-2021, 11:47 AM
Heir Apparent

I didn't see K.Philip of Belgium in the opening ceremony (did see P.Albert of Monaco and GD Henri of Luxemburg), but i'm not sure who was shown in the stands for Belgium...
Most likely it was one of the belgian IOC members, maybe Pierre Olivier Beckers, he has a somewhat similar look to the king (esp. when wearing a mask..)
Old 07-24-2021, 12:23 PM
Majesty

Lucky our King was not there , 2 of our Champions lost !
To me The Grand Duke of Luxembourg and the Prince of Monaco are there. The two smallest Countries of Europe !
Old 07-24-2021, 01:58 PM
Majesty

Princess Nathalie, coach of the Danish Dressage team sheds some tears for a job well done
https://www.instagram.com/p/CRtinn0j...dium=copy_link
Old 07-24-2021, 02:17 PM
Majesty

The only royals I saw were GD Henri and Prince Albert II, plus Emperor Naruhito of course. I believe I saw Jill Biden (the US First Lady) and President Macron during the athletes' parade, but it was very quick.
Old 07-24-2021, 07:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post

Are you sure? I rather doubt that King Philippe is in Tokyo, yesterday he and Queen Mathilde had a virtual conversation with Belgian athletes in Tokyo from the Palace in Brussels. So I doubt he has flown there only a few hours later. And to me it is less likely that Crown Princess Mette of Norway attends the games, her health condition in combination with the corona situation, plus her fear of flying..I don't think she's there..

Prince Albert attended a fencing competition today, July 24:

** Pic **

I had another look at the footage this morning when Belgium came in to the stadium and as you pointed out I was wrong. Like I said it was a fleeting glimpse of the Royal box and I thought it looked like King Phillipe. Sorry for posting the wrong thing.
By the way Tokyo is exactly one hour behind Australian Eastern Time. So for us watching here it's not too bad with the time difference.
Old 07-25-2021, 08:50 AM
Administrator

No problem at all

Today, July 25, Prince Albert watched a swimming competition:

** Pic **
Old 07-25-2021, 08:52 AM
Heir Apparent

25 july: GD Henri presented the medals at the cycling women's road race
Old 07-25-2021, 12:12 PM
Heir Apparent

photos of GD Henri presenting medals for road race and watching swimming on July 25

Getty Images

https://twitter.com/CourGrandDucale/...60947039350787
Old 07-25-2021, 02:10 PM
Administrator

The link is showing one photo at the swimming competition only.

Here are the photos of him presenting the medals after the Women's road race today

** gettyimages gallery **

And some photos of today shared by the court:

** instagram gallery **
Old 07-27-2021, 03:44 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

So it seems to be just the Grand Duke of Luxembourg and the Prince of Monaco from Europe in attendance.
Old 07-27-2021, 06:34 AM
Administrator

Prince Albert presented the medals at the Women's 100m Breaststroke medal ceremony today, July 27:

** rex gallery ** ppe gallery **

And he watched the Women's 3x3 basketball pool round match between the United States and Japan:

** rex gallery **

Yesterday, July 26, Prince Albert as Patron of the World Olympians Association participated in a virtual ceremony for the five new Olympians for Life:

** olympians: Introducing our newest Olympians for Life **

Old 07-28-2021, 04:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

Not in Tokyo but from her German home at Berleburg Castle, Princess Benedikte follows the performances of the Danish dressage riders at the Olympic Games inTokyo

https://scontent.fath3-4.fna.fbcdn.n...fa&oe=6125E6E0

https://www.instagram.com/p/CR3OO_fAwie/
Old 07-28-2021, 07:12 AM
Administrator

Prince Albert watched the 3x3 Basketball competition today, July 28:

** Pic **