Royals at the Tokyo 2021 Summer Olympics

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
King Harald has congratulated Karsten Warholm:

"I send my heartfelt congratulations for a new world record, gold medal and as an Olympic champion in the 400 meter hurdles during the Olympics in Tokyo"

They had met last summer (see the gallery):

** instagram gallery ** olympics: Norway's Karsten Warholm breaks world record to win gold in men's 400m hurdles **

King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima congratulated the Team NL, inlcuidng Sifan Hassan for her gold-medal run in the women's 5,000 meters:

** instagram gallery **

And Crown Prince Frederik wrote today:

"Another exciting and nerve-wracking day at the Olympics! ����⁣ First a big congratulations to Emma Aastrand Jørgensen, who got a bronze medal after an exciting and incredibly close final in the 200 meter energy kayak. Now we have six medals - but a lot of excellent Danish athletes have been about to get metal. Super nice done, everyone! ⁣Today's big drama was our national track team, which despite a crash is ready for the Olympic final tomorrow. Also well received again by our handball masters, who after today's victory over Norway are now ready to face Spain in the semifinals the day after tomorrow.⁣ It will be some exciting Olympic days we meet - my family and I follow it closely from home"

** instagram gallery **

Meanwhile Prince Feisal Al Hussein presented the medals after the boxing competition at Kokugikan Arena today:

** Pic **

Last edited:
Prince Nawaf Bin Mohammed Al Saud, World Athletics Vice President, presented the medals during the Women's 4 x 100m Relay Victory Ceremony on August 7:

** Pic **

And Crown Prince Akishino attended the Closing Ceremony of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games at the Olympic Stadium today, August 8:

** gettyimages gallery **

Last edited:
Another phone call to a Danish gold medal winner from Frederik and what it means to them.
https://www.bt.dk/ol/roert-moerkoev-efter-opkald-fra-kronprinsen-min-soen-er-opkaldt-efter-ham

"That means you have won gold or a medal at the Olympics. His Royal Highness has always been a huge inspiration to me, «it read, before he revealed that the Crown Prince already has a large place at home with the Mørkøv family:

‘Our boy is named after him. I think he is a fantastic role model in Denmark. It's a dream for me to get that call. "

Reactions: eya
Which Royal will attend the Paralympic ?

I suppose King Philippe will invited the 2 golden Medals and the 3th which are the Red Lions in Laeken.

Last edited by a moderator:
King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima will receive the 37 Dutch medal winners at Noordeinde Palace, as is the tradition.

The same tradition says that the King honours individual Gold Medal winners as well the captains of Gold Medal winning teams by creating them a Knight/Dame in the Order of Orange-Nassau.

When a Golden Medalist repeats his or her Golden Medal, they are promoted from their already existing rank of Knight/Dame to that of Officier.

Last edited:
King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima will receive the 37 Dutch medal winners at Noordeinde Palace, as is the tradition.

The same tradition says that the King honours individual Gold Medal winners as well the captains of Gold Medal winning teams by creating them a Knight/Dame in the Order of Orange-Nassau.

When a Golden Medalist repeats his or her Golden Medal, they are promoted from their already existing rank of Knight/Dame to that of Officier.

What about Sifan Hassan (born actually in Ethiopia, but competing for her adoptive country, the Netherlands), who won two gold medals and one bronze in the same olympic games? In the UK, she would be made a Dame Commander probably.

I wonder if non-British posters in the Commonwealth realms could possibly comment on their feelings about the British Royal Family during multinational sports events like the Olympics.

The Commonwealth realms did very well overall in Tokyo with the following total medal tally.

1. Great Britain: 65 (matching London 2012).
  2. Australia: 46.
  3. Canada: 24 (Canada of course being stronger in the winter olympics than in the summer games).
  4. New Zealand: 20.
  5. Jamaica: 9.
  6. Bahamas: 2.
  7. Grenada: 1.
In addition, Bermuda (not a realm, but an overseas dependent territory) also won one medal.

I don't recall either HM The Queen or The Prince of Wales making any comments during the games on the performance of Commonwealth realm athletes (I may have missed it !), but I read comments from the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge that referred only to Team GB performances. If that is the case, does it add to the republican narrative that the Royal Family identifies itself as being primarily British and does not adequately represent Australia, Canada, New Zealand or other realms ?

Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
What about Sifan Hassan (born actually in Ethiopia, but competing for her adoptive country, the Netherlands), who won two gold medals and one bronze in the same olympic games? In the UK, she would be made a Dame Commander probably.

As far as I am aware, no distinction is made between those winning one or multiple gold medals (which is exceptional but not unique; it happens quite often in speed-skating and to a lesser extent (for the Netherlands) in swimming): all are awarded the rank of 'ridder' in the Order of Orange-Nassau. This year there were 2 Dutch Olympic Champions with 2 gold medals and one bronze medal: Sifan Hassan (running) and Harrie Lavreysen (track cycling).

Those that already got their royal decoration, don't get a higher decoration but receive a stone figurine instead. For example, 5 years ago this applied to Dorian van Rijsselberghe (windsurfer; only 1 surfer can compete per country, so this time his friend Kieran Padlow was the only one to compete for the Netherlands and also won gold - otherwise we've would most likely had 2 medals both this time and in Rio de Janeiro); and for the London Olympics that applied to Ranomi Kromowidjojo who won 2 gold medals and a silver medals that year but already won gold 4 years earlier in Beijing.

This time it seems all are first time Olympic gold medalists. Previous gold medalist now won silver (Sharon van Rouwendalen; open water swimming) or bronze (Anna van der Breggen; cylcing - and Ilse Paulis; rowing). Several first time Olympic Champions won either silver or bronze in Rio de Janeiro: one team that won silver now won gold (Hockey (w)), one track cyclist (Matthijs Büchli) previously won silver (individual) and now won gold (team) and one sailer and two rowers previously won bronze and now won gold (Marit Bouwmeester, Dirk Uittenbogaard, Tone Wieten).

Note: previously olympic gold medalists were made Ridder in the Order of the Dutch Lion. The change seems to have been made per 2012. Those winning gold in Vancouver 2010 still were made Ridder in the Order of the Dutch Lion; while those winning gold in London 2012 were made Ridder in the Order of Orange-Nassau.

Last edited:

Until 2010 the Gold Medalists were created Knight or Dame in the Order of the Netherlands Lion.

Since 2010 the Gold Medalists are created Knight or Dame in the Order of Orange-Nassau, a slightly 'lower" Order.

But in that Order it is easier to "promote" from Knight/Dame to Officier.

The rationale behind this change seems to be that a Gold Medalist whom repeate his/her Golden Medal at another Olympic Games can be "promoted". But also when an Olympic Gold Medalist has a succesful career with lots of efforts for charities or a great social impact, it frees the way to promote to Officier or to award the "higher" Netherlands Lion.

When a Gold Medalist in his twenties makes a succesful social career, for an example as entrepreneur, politician or initiator of a charity, it is "difficult" to bestow another Order when someone is already a Knight/Dame in the most prestigious Order.

For an example the multiple Gold Medalist Pieter van den Hoogenband (a former swimmer) is now Chef d'Équipe of this very succesful Dutch team. He is already Knight in the Order of the Netherlands Lion. That gives little room to bestow another Order without discriminating to lesser known Gods with comparable merits to society.

Last edited:
I'm wondering, who will open the Paralympics?

In Tokyo 1964 it was opened by the chairman of the Paralympics Organising Committee rather than the Emperor like the Olympics. We also had the examples of consort or heir opened the Paralympics (Queen Sonja at Lillehammer 1994 and Queen Sofia at Barcelona 1992, then Crown Princess Naruhito at Nagano 1998), and of course it could be also opened by the monarch just like the Olympics.

I don't recall either HM The Queen or The Prince of Wales making any comments during the games on the performance of Commonwealth realm athletes .

The Queen sent a message of congratulations to all athletes from across the Commonwealth.

“I send my warmest congratulations to the competitors from Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and across the Commonwealth, following their success at the Olympic Games in Tokyo in recent weeks.

“The skill, determination and hard work shown by the athletes and their support teams throughout the unique and challenging circumstances of the last year has been an inspiration to us all.”

The Queen sent a message of congratulations to all athletes from across the Commonwealth.

“I send my warmest congratulations to the competitors from Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and across the Commonwealth, following their success at the Olympic Games in Tokyo in recent weeks.

“The skill, determination and hard work shown by the athletes and their support teams throughout the unique and challenging circumstances of the last year has been an inspiration to us all.”

It is good to see that the Queen understands the multinational status of the monarchy that transcends the UK. What about her heirs and successors ?

It is good to see that the Queen understands the multinational status of the monarchy that transcends the UK. What about her heirs and successors ?

She does but she also communicates clearly that her allegiance is first and foremost with Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

How nice that they posted a picture - but I don't particularly like the picture itself.

Frederik sends congratulations for winning gold
https://www.instagram.com/p/CTFRfZOjQ-7/

And Danish gold medal winner also got a phone call from Crown Prince Frederik

"It happened to dressage rider Tobias Thorning Jørgensen when Crown Prince Frederik called after he had secured gold for Denmark at the Paralympics in Tokyo.
- What do you say to the Crown Prince, it's completely wild, asked the young South Jutlander, who greatly appreciated the fine gesture.
- It's completely insane that he bothers to follow in parasport, and so little me who gets a call. It is absolutely extraordinary, he says."
https://www.bt.dk/sport/guldvinder-ved-para-ol-blev-paf-over-kronprinsens-opkald

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom