Royals at the 2008 Beijing Olympics

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hands down, the best perk of being royal is attending the Olympics!!!!! But it's killing me to know that when I watched it on tv and the camera pans to the Bushes, that there are royals sitting behind them or in front of them that I'd rather see but never will! Fortunately he left today, but I don't think that any royals will make it onto the US broadcasts.
That really gets to me also. A young friend of the family works for TV studio in NY and after asking him about this exact thing, he laughed and said that studios took a survey and 90% stated that they didn't care who sat in the stands -- only wanted to see the sports. Didn't even want a lot of "personal" history of the athletes this time. Has all been written in local newspapers. That is why there is only small spots of certain athletes this year instead of indepth coverage about their training and home life. CNBC is picking up all the major heats of all countries for tons of hours in addition to the regular NBC coverage. Apparently most people could care less about the ROYALS; unlike us on the Forum that enjoys seeing and reading about them. I guess the "powers that be" went with the majority------Shame.

Princess Royal at the the Equestrian event with her husband Tim Lawrence, her son Peter Phillips, daughter-in-law Autumn Phillips and Lord Sebastian Coe.
APA-Picturedesk
Anne wears shorts!

That really gets to me also. A young friend of the family works for TV studio in NY and after asking him about this exact thing, he laughed and said that studios took a survey and 90% stated that they didn't care who sat in the stands -- only wanted to see the sports. Didn't even want a lot of "personal" history of the athletes this time. Has all been written in local newspapers. That is why there is only small spots of certain athletes this year instead of indepth coverage about their training and home life. CNBC is picking up all the major heats of all countries for tons of hours in addition to the regular NBC coverage. Apparently most people could care less about the ROYALS; unlike us on the Forum that enjoys seeing and reading about them. I guess the "powers that be" went with the majority------Shame.
I have to agree Winnie. While I'd loved to have NBC show the Royals cheering on their respective teams as they entered the stadium, I believe that most American viewers would have been less than interested. The only royals I've ever seen featured at an Olympic event are those acting as Head of State like Kings Harald and Juan-Carlos openning the Games. Royals who are participating in the games Anne, Albert, Felipe and Christina. During the Turin Winter Games, there was a short piece that focused on the Dutch speed skating fans and they briefly interviewed W-A. Otherwise, they are not in view.

i would have bet good $$$ princess anne didn't own a pair of shorts!!!! ;) great find ladyfinn. the princess royal has been exceptionally well dressed this trip, she's looked good in every photo i've seen.
i'm afraid most American viewers when they showed a shot of the royals, didn't know who they were, thank goodness for the forum or i'd never know they were there :(
i must say all the couples look to be having a grand, romantic time, it's fun to see them having so much fun, i keep getting this goofy grin on my face Thanks to everybody for the links.

:clap:It's nice to see how the royals support the sportsmen and sportswomen of their country.:clap:

Hands down, the best perk of being royal is attending the Olympics!!!!! But it's killing me to know that when I watched it on tv and the camera pans to the Bushes, that there are royals sitting behind them or in front of them that I'd rather see but never will! Fortunately he left today, but I don't think that any royals will make it onto the US broadcasts.

I agree with you! It has been so frustrating watching the American coverage of the Olympics. I read all of the posts on this board from other members in various parts of the world who have seen royals on their coverage of the Olympics, but all we see are the Bushes. :bang:

King Harald and Queen Sonja have been doing the rounds with the Norwegian athletes - visiting the village today, and waited extra long to meet the Handball team.

But they also met one of the sand volleyball teams, and one of the players who was a bit nervous, ended up asking Queen Sonja if she had fallen for Harald because he had participated in the Olympics. Both the king and queen burst out laughing. Muntert møte med kongeparet - Rogaland - NRK Nyheter

You are absolutely correct. Also competitions where the US athletes are not favourites to win are not being telecast in the US. unless one stays up at 3am to watch some channel on direct TV or whatever.
I was so upset to hear the opening ceremonies were transmitted to Greece for 4 houres with no interruptions!!!!!!!!

I love how W-A is dressed in orange (and really BRIGHT) at every turn. Good for him!

Of all of the photos I have seen of the royals attending the Olympics, WA and Maxima look like they are enjoying themselves the most. They truly look like they are loving every minute of the games.

I love it!!!!!!! I am afraid of the criticism that will start flowing through.........
I hope everyone sees it for what it is. People who know how to enjoy themselves.........What a better occasion than when your team wins!!!!!!

I like seeing the royal interact. It must be nice not only to see the games in person but to reunite with friends and family from other royal houses in more of a laid back environment.

ANP Beeldbank

Another picture of WA and Maxima, this time at the hockey game Netherlands - South Africa.

They seem to be among the few watching these games. In most of the photos the seats behind them are empty.
No matter what, she shows up with her orange scarf and looks like she is on top of the world. Way to go Maxima!:flowers:

What are they wearing? It looks like ponchos for the rain.

Looks like see through raincoats........Not that the rain dampened her spirits.......:flowers:

I love how W-A is dressed in orange (and really BRIGHT) at every turn. Good for him!
Not a royal I know much about or really follow but like you I love his fashion choices for this games:lol:

Did you guys see the Americans beat the French in the men's 4x100 swimming relay?

You can view the whole thing on nbcolympics.com if you missed it. One of the BEST recoveries I've seen in a sporting event. You can beat that joins countdowns about the greatest moments in sports history!

Did you guys see the Americans beat the French in the men's 4x100 swimming relay?

You can view the whole thing on nbcolympics.com if you missed it. One of the BEST recoveries I've seen in a sporting event. You can beat that joins countdowns about the greatest moments in sports history!
It was wonderful and they deserved it!!!!

The opening ceremony was the most beautiful I have ever seen. The lights the choregraphy everything was perfect. This is my favorite Olympic of all time.

Back
Top Bottom