Royals at the 2008 Beijing Olympics

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I heard today that the pollution is also exacerbated right now by extreme humidity, as Mr. Rogge said, and by dust from the Gobi desert. Hard to get rid of either of those things!

I'm so moved by these opening ceremonies. It goes to show that Olympic ideals really can overcome political tensions for the briefest moment, even though they're really roiling right now in some areas of the world. Also, the little Chinese earthquake survivor who walked with Yao Ming had me in tears ... what a brave little boy!
Boy are you correct. I had tears many times during that fantastic opening ceremony and seeing the happy faces of the athletes coming in. And that brave little boy -- I just lost it then--how wonderful that his country honored him.

I saw the Olympic opening ceremony last night and it was fantastic.

BTW Ella Kay, I think Letizia dress looks gorgeous too.

agm my computer wont load the video, it keeps trying but never get past the blank white screen of loading. I was wondering if perhaps you could give me a link to the page before and then I'll see if it'll load that way or something...? Really sorry to be a pain

Does anyone know where I can see videos of the other royals while their respective teams are entering the arena? I'd fallen asleep by that stage but would be great to see them briefly!

Last edited:
It was wonderful for me to see Princess Anne, Prince Albert (and Charlene) and CP Frederik and CP Mary at the opening ceremonies when I watched it here in Canada, since we don't exactly get tons of live royal coverage here. ;)

Too bad that you can't come over to my place as I will have the Olympics on the whole two weeks!
The Opening Ceremony won't be televised here in the USA until tonight, but it is a bummer as I don't think that the TV cameras will show many royals to American viewers.

Oh you're lucky! Olympic coverage in our country is spread over several channels so I'm going to do a lot of channel surfing, not to mention remote-wrangling with my dad.:D

By the way, does anyone know if Princess Sirivannavari Nariratana of Thailand will compete? She has represented Thailand in badminton for the Southeast Asian Games.

Pictures from ANP: Maxima and Willem at the beach-volley.
I don't think Princess Sirivannavari Nariratana of Thailand will compete. I have seen the list of Thailand's athletes and she wasn't part of it.

Attachments

• 7965195.jpg
    7965195.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 273
  • 7965238.jpg
    7965238.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 297
  • 7965239.jpg
    7965239.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 270
  • 7965504.jpg
    7965504.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 234
  • 7965906.jpg
    7965906.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 187
  • 7965909.jpg
    7965909.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 236
  • 7965430.jpg
    7965430.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
It seems that Felipe and Letizia are the most photographed royals, there are so many photos of them, many from Prince Albert too.
Felipe and Letizia at the opening ceremony:
Photoshot
Infanta Pilar on Thursday:
Photoshot
Letizia has been watching artistic gymnastics in the morning, now she and Felipe went to see women´s basketball game between China and Spain.
Photos from the basketball game:
Getty Images

Willem-Alexander and Maxima at the beach volleyball match Netherlands vs. Switzerland at Beijing's Chaoyang beach volleyball ground
Getty Images

King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie are sitting in the row in front of Albert and Charlene -- a few seats away!

When I was watching (unfortunately I'm on holiday in the US, and the only deligates that they showed on the screening of the opening were presidents and prime mnisters) the announcer kept mentioning a "deligatioin box", meaning that most of the royals/presidents/prime ministers were all probably in the same general area in that box. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just passing on imformation.

The opening ceremony was just spectacular! I have recorded it so I will be watching it again tonight...didn't realise so many royals and world leaders attended the opening ceremony.

I am loving Letizia black and white bamboo dress; it fitted her like a glove! Wonder who the designer is?

That makes sense, I guess. If I recall in Salt Lake City, the delegations sat with their teams (I remember President Bush at least sat with the U.S. team).

The tennis games start tomorrow but there have already been a lot of shake-ups happening:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/808928-post462.html

And among other things, you just gotta love these tennis athletes in their outfits:

The Serbians look cute!
Ana Ivanovic
Novak Djokovic

Andale, andale!
It's Speedy [Fernando] Gonzales!

Cool and comfy:
Roger Federer

And I love the US Team's berets (here on Lindsay Davenport, but it looks best on Kobe Bryant) and the Spanish team's hats (on Rafa Nadal)

;)

Felipe and Letizia, basketball:
As
As
Willem-Alexander and Maxima, beach volley
As

:flowers:Thanks to everyone who posted photos here. NBC did an awful job transmitting the opening ceremonies. Every 2 minutes or so of the ceremonies they'd break for ads. The only officials they showed were Bush Putin, Sarkozy and Peres.............Believe it or not I fell asleep during the parade of the athletes.:bang::bang: It was a boring transmition with boring comments......what a shame!
Thanks again to all of you. Keep them coming so I know what is happening...........:wub:

PHOTOS: The princely couples, the golden medal in Pekin!

Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia, Prince Albert and Charlene

PHOTOS : Les couples princiers, médaille d'or à Pékin !

Princess Anne of Great Britain visits the Olympic equestrian venue in Hong Kong

ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank

Prince Philippe of Belgium are on the way to see the Sculls at the Shunyi Olympic Rowing Park in Beijing

ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank

Jordan's Princess Haya Bint al Hussein visits the Olympic equestrian venue in Hong Kong

ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank

It's really good to see such great press focus on the Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia. They really enjoyed watching the games, and are really enthusiasm. Anyone has seen pictures of Princess Anne at the Opening Ceremony?So hard to find her!

:sad:I watched nearly the whole day the sportsprogramm, but I did not see any royal.

We didn't get to see any of the royals in attendance on the US broadcast on NBC. They showed President & Mrs. Bush several times (looking bored! They even caught both of them looking at their watches!). I don't think there was even a mention of any royals aside from Princess Grace/Grace Kelly.

I saw just for few seconds that Don Juan Antonio Samaranch watch on his watch too during Mr Jacques Rogge or maybe Mr Hu Jintao speech.

I didn't see the Opening Ceremony!!!! I would love to see royals waving at their athletes. F&L were the most photographed royal. Didn't Haakon and MM attend the Opening Games?

Back
Top Bottom