Royals at the 2008 Beijing Olympics

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Didn't Haakon and MM attend the Opening Games?
No, they didn't. Only their Majesties attended.
Haakon is scheduled to attend some events.
Mette-Marit won't travel to China at all (maybe it's a kind of boykott. I don't know. But it's okay if she doesn't want to attend, IMO).
The Royal couple is going to attend some sports events.

isifa has some pics of nice moments between felipe and letizia when they were watching basketball game and some from opening ceremony,but i guess we have nobody to kindly put them here.

p.s is anyone else wondering why they keep playing scotish bagpipes on repeat...lol...

According to danish talevision they had orchestras from the different continents playing in turn. I guess the one from europe was scotish.

Felipe and Letizia have sure been to a lot of events! They must be thoroughly enjoying themselves.

I'm watching the beach volleyball on television right now, but, unfortunately, can't see W-A and Maxima.

Royals have been shown on TV coverage when their team walks out. appologies if i miss smaller countries..

So far:

Belgium: Prince Phillipe (didnt stand or wave when shown on tv)
Denmark: Prince Frederick and Princess Mary (shown standing but not waving, Fred was playing with his phone)
Spain: Prince Felipe and Princess Leitzia (shown standing and waving)
Luxemburg: Grand Duke Henri and Duchess Maria Theresa (standing and waving, i think)
Norway: King Harald and Queen Sonja (sitting not clapping)
Jordan : nothing
Great Britain: Princess Royal (standing waving)
Netherlands: Prince W-A and Princess Maxima (standing and waving orange scarfs)
Sweden: nothing (but i might have missed it looking at my laptop when they first came out..)
Monaco: Prince Albert (and girlfriend?) standing and waving

p.s is anyone else wondering why they keep playing scotish bagpipes on repeat...lol...
Belgium: Philippe wasn't very interest about that what happen
when they show him on TV (seconds after Belgium team enter to stadium)
Luxembourg: standing and waving very energy

The comentator on Polish Eurosport said that they (organizers) want music from all 5 continents (5 olympic circles) or something like that.

Maybe it help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Summer_Olympics_Opening_Ceremony

I think all of the CP's attending this event is doing pritty much like the danish CP couple. It is a visit to China which is rather un"official" - but along with having a great time supporting there teames - they also are promoting the interests of their respektive countries, and in accordiance with that they have an unofficial programe which also is in the interrest of China.

It must be hot in the Olympic village! Letizia's still fanning. :)

thank you all for the beautiful photos:flowers:
great to see all those royals in one event.
i like how PMaxima was supporting the duch athlets very spontaneous and natural way,she is fabulous person

Seems that Prince Sebastien of Luxemburg has got a girlfriend since I don´t believe this girl on the photo is Princess Alexandra! She looks quite similar but IMO Princess Alexandra is less pretty....

VIDEO from Tve
Samuel Sánchez pariente lejano Princesa Letizia

This history is very funny. Samuel Sanchez has won today the golden medal in cycling, the first medal for Spain. The Princes have taken part in the honoring that they have offered him in the House of Spain. The Princess and Samuel were born in the same city, and conversing there have discovered that have a distant kinship and that the grandmother of the cyclist knows the grandmother of the Princess. The chances of the life.:lol:

Video
http://www.rtve.es/mediateca/videos...-dona-letizia/248649.shtml?s1=deportes&s2=&s3=

Felipe and Letizia with Samuel Sanchez, the first gold medalist of Spain
Marca

Seems that Prince Sebastien of Luxemburg has got a girlfriend since I don´t believe this girl on the photo is Princess Alexandra! She looks quite similar but IMO Princess Alexandra is less pretty....

As far as I can see, the girl next to him is Princess Alexandra herself. And she is a beauty!

Yeah I am pretty sure that she is Alexandra and she is one of the more beautiful royals around nowdays

Maxima is such an exuberant person. It is nice to see some pictures of hers.

She is indeed! Was that a celebration held by the Dutch for their medal winner?
(Thats my best guess, but have never heard of that sort of thing)

From what little I saw, it looked like the chairs were not too comfortable and it was very hot. I did not see any of the royals, but Bush took his jacket off and looked like he was leaning sideways, catching glimpses of his watch. The only one who had sweat running down his forehead but kept his jacket on was Sarkozy.........
BTW I liked the French team's uniform. Very chic.

It said it was a hommage to the bronze medal Dutch winner in judo at the Holland House.

Does anyone keep score of medals so far?? Can we start a thread?

It said it was a hommage to the bronze medal Dutch winner in judo at the Holland House.

Does anyone keep score of medals so far?? Can we start a thread?

Thanks Odette. :flowers:

There is a medal table here, but you should be able to click the words "Medal Table" To see it better, but its not working for me. Anyway, it provides you with an overview Odette. :rolleyes:

I also found this one @ Wiki Odette, now you have a choice :)

Last edited:
Thanks Odette. :flowers:

There is a medal table here, but you should be able to click the words "Medal Table" To see it better, but its not working for me. Anyway, it provides you with an overview Odette. :rolleyes:

Thanks Marmi. Spain is having one great year in Athletics in 2008.
I will keep an eye on the US Basketball team since they are all NBA highly paid professionals....

Pictures from Yesterday and today: ANP
Prince Willem-Alexander and Princess Maxima of the Netherlands celebrate after the Netherlands women's 4x100 freestyle relay team won the gold medal with a time of 3:33.76

Attachments

• 7969343.jpg
    7969343.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 196
  • 7969353.jpg
    7969353.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 175
  • 7968581.jpg
    7968581.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 188
  • 7968625.jpg
    7968625.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 209
  • 7969573.jpg
    7969573.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 156
  • 7969486.jpg
    7969486.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 166
  • 7972198.jpg
    7972198.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 296
  • 7972201.jpg
    7972201.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 201
  • 7972203.jpg
    7972203.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 228
  • 7972206.jpg
    7972206.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 179
W-A and Maxima seem so fun! They'd definitely be on the list for my imaginary perfect royal dinner party. :lol:

Actually it IS Princes Alexandra.;)

Felipe and Letizia celebrating gold medalist Sánchez
As
El Pais

Felipe today at the men's basketball match Spain vs Greece, Rafael Nadal was there too.
Getty Images

Lovely photo of Felipe and Letizia at the opening ceremony
Canarias7
Canarias7

Back
Top Bottom