Royals at the 2008 Beijing Olympics

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Saw that too Marmi and weren't they ecstatic over the victory.

Stellad

They were, it was great to see. I was just feeling such an incredible mix of emotions after last night. Wow.

I'll be glad when NBC leaves the Water Cube. They've spent so much time there I'm starting to get sea-sick!
You are funny -- sea-sick! I love people's comments that are so light hearted. But, swimming is a good part of the Summer Olympics. My favorite will be coming up soon -- Track and Field -- love all that running, etc. Most people don't, but that is OK.

Wow what a night NZ had last night! The media had dubbed it 'Super Saturday' mid-week. We won 2 golds 1 silver and 2 bronze medals. We had held high hopes that one of the bronze medals would be a gold, but poor Mahe Drysdale was sick earlier in the week and lost 4kg in 4 days, and was given fluid intravelously. He was extremely ill after his race, then stood up to collect his medal! It felt like a 'Cool runnings' moment...
We are very proud of him.

Also a big day because it was the first time ever that NZ has won 5 olympic medals in one day!

Wonderful day for New Zealand -- 5 medals in one day. Loved your country when I was there in 1991 for a month -- beautiful and kind people.

And Phelps officially breaks Mark Spitz's record -- I still have chills from watching that last relay!

Thanks Winnie, thats great to hear, pleased you enjoyed it!

Still on a NZ note, the amazing triathlete Sam Warriner (yes, I am biased, I do know her, great woman) has a youtube channel of her own, and has been updating it for the last 98 days, logging her bid for the Olympics. Anyone who wants to see what goes into a bid for the Olympic gold, check it out here.
Dont be daunted that there are literally hundreds of clips, many of them are less than a minute, and the most significant (to me at least) are all at least 3 minutes, and these are the ones where she describes how she's feeling and what she's been doing. Sam also has her own website, there's a link on the youtube page.

GOOD LUCK SAM!!!!!

thanks for all the links... it didn't take Queen Silvia and King Carl Gustaf long to catch the olympic romantic spirit, didn't they meet at the olympics too? i enjoy these natural photos so much, thanks again.

Yes they met in Munich 1972 where Silvia worked as a VIP hostess.

Infanta Cristina and Inaki Urdangarin support Ruano Pascual Virginia and Medina Garrigues Anabel during the Semi Final of Tennis
MCT International
Sofia and Cristina supporting cyclist Llaneras at the velodrome
As

I understand the SRF take turns in going to China to support their delegation. Good to see the Queen and Cristina enjoying the games. Will ELena come to China?

It has been a great Sunday morning for Denmark :daneflag:
One bronze and two gold medals.
One of the gold medals was for the 49'er boat - which started as a true drama. The Danish boat broke its mast on the way to the starting line - and when the race started the Danes who were leading the competition were not included. Thankfully, Croatia lent them their boat - and Denmark managed to finish as no. 7 in spite of a much later start - and keep their gold medal :flowers:

- it was a weird scenario and protests are coming in now because conditions were so rough at sea that many boats capsized. So perhaps it will mean that the whole race will have to start anew.

Still, a huge thank you to Croatia - bet there is free beer for all the Croatian sailing team tonight :D

Last edited:
I understand the SRF take turns in going to China to support their delegation. Good to see the Queen and Cristina enjoying the games. Will ELena come to China?

Infanta Elena will attend as guest of honour at the opening of the XIII Paralympic Games in Beijing on September 8th. Dona Elena is the Honorary president of the Spanish Paralympic Committee.

Yes, it's a nice pic!

But the king made a photo of Anne-Marie of Greece, not of Queen Silvia!

Silvia❦CarlGustaf;812498 said:
I like this photo of King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia from yesterday. Seems as if Carl Gustaf tried to take a picture of his Queen.

ANP Beeldbank

Oh yes, you are right.
I didn't noticed Queen Anne-Marie in the top of the picture. First it seems like he holds the camera to Silvia, but when you watch it twice you can see that he puts it on his cousin Anne-Marie.

It start!

Friday for Poland - 2 medals: 1 gold (men's shot put), 1 silver (men's team epee).

Sunday - 4 medals: 1 gold (men's quadruple sculls), 2 silver (lightweight men's four, weightlifting: men's 94 kg), 1 bronze (wrestling: women's freestyle 72 kg):cheers:

- it was a weird scenario and protests are coming in now because conditions were so rough at sea that many boats capsized. So perhaps it will mean that the whole race will have to start anew.

Some protest are about the Danish team using the Croate boat. The other teams could only se the Croate banner and not the Danish one - therefore they didn't know Denmark was in the race,

I think it is a fair protest but unforturnatly it might result in Denmark getting disqualified:ohmy:.

Still the danish team did a fantastic job and the Croats deserve a :cheers:.

Queen Sofia, Infanta Cristina and Inaki Urdangarin watch how Rafael Nadal wins olympic gold in tennis.
Daylife
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
El Pais
King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia during their visit at the Lama temple in Beijing
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
Queen Sonja waves a national flag while watching the the women's preliminary group A handball match between Norway and Romania
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
Prince Albert gives the silver medal to Eunice Jepkorir of KEnya on the podium after the women's 3000m steeplechase final
ANP Beeldbank
... and the gold medal to Russia's Gulnara Galkina-Samitova
ANP Beeldbank
Daylife

It is wonderful to see how falsely informed the agencys are.:ROFLMAO: The picture-information says "The Queen Margreth of Denmark and her husband Prince Henri visit the Lama Temple in Beijing". And who is on the pictures?Not Queen Margrethe and her husband Prince Henrik.
On the pictures are the King and queen of Sweden. I think it is embarrassingly for the agencys that the don't know the correct names of the people the take a photo from.

All the same, I am excited to see so many pictures of the european royals at the Olympic Games. I'm a total sportsfreak and a total fan of the european royal families. To connect both is madly.
Unfortunately the Games will end next sunday. From me they should take place every year, but then this event would lost his special spirit.

Hope, next week there will be as many pictures as last week. :D

Princess Royal watches the swimming events on Friday
Daylife
Princess Royal gives the gold medal to Britain´s Ben Ainslie (Finn dinghy sailing)
Daylife
Getty Images
Getty Images
Britain's Yngling team Pippa Wilson, Sarah Webb and Sarah Ayton are congratulated by Princess Royal after winning the gold medal during the Yngling three-women keelboat sailing competition
Daylife
Infanta Cristina and Inaki Urdangarin watching Anabel Medina Garrigues and Virginia Ruanoy playing against Serena and Venus Williams in women´s tennis doubles.
RTVE

And Phelps officially breaks Mark Spitz's record -- I still have chills from watching that last relay!

¡Me too! But Mark Spitz said he did not have an eight opportunity, and he has a point there, I think. My family´s youngsters say Michael Phelps found the race lost, a japanese had jumped earlier into the water cube to swim the butterfly style, but that is wonderful for Michael, so he and Jason deserve even more the gold.

¡Enhorabuena, España! (Congratulations, Spain) Rafa Nadal is the Nr. 1 in tennis since tomorrow, with an olympic gold medal already won. The king is dead. :ohmy: Cheers to the new king! :) That´s life, ladies and gentlemen.

Congratulations to all whose countries have won medals. ;)

That is what I think is so awesome about Princess Anne. Look at how wet she is and she wasn't complaining at all. No wondering about her hair, just doing her duty. What an awesome lady!:flowers:

Ex King Constantine of Greece presented the Gold Medals to the Great Britain team who won the Ygling Class Sailing. They were later congratulated by the Princess Royal

ANP Beeldbank

¡Me too! But Mark Spitz said he did not have an eight opportunity, and he has a point there, I think. My family´s youngsters say Michael Phelps found the race lost, a japanese had jumped earlier into the water cube to swim the butterfly style, but that is wonderful for Michael, so he and Jason deserve even more the gold.

¡Enhorabuena, España! (Congratulations, Spain) Rafa Nadal is the Nr. 1 in tennis since tomorrow, with an olympic gold medal already won. The king is dead. :ohmy: Cheers to the new king! :) That´s life, ladies and gentlemen.

Congratulations to all whose countries have won medals. ;)
Just watched a wonderful interview with Mark Spitz and he stated that in "his day" they didn't have to swim all those prelims that they do now to get into the actual race and that he only could prefect two of the strokes while Michael does well on all four. Apparently they are good friends and email each other. Mark actually said that "records are made to be broken" and that he was thrilled that Michael did it. I don't know how any of the athletics do what they do -- hard work -- and the track runners are just mind blowing.

Grand Duke Henri and Princess Alexandra attend the tennis competitions
MCT International
MCT International
Grand Duke Henri accompanied by Luxembourg's Minister of Sport Jeannot Krecke following the competition of Luxembourg sailor Marc Schmit
MCT International
MCT International
Queen Sofia, Infanta Cristina with her husband Inaki Urdangarin, Bruno Gomez Acebo of Borbon and his girlfriend Barbara Cano De La Plaza, Juan Antonio Samaranch and Grand Duke Henri attend the Men's Final tennis match, Spain's Rafael Nadal vs Chile's Fernando Gonzalez
MCT International

I see, Winnie, so Mark Spitz recognizes Michael is better at least in that area, he dominates all four strokes the shark from Baltimore. The face of Michael is so different to a shark, couldn´t it be a dolphin? The Baltimore dolphin, I prefer that.

I am so happy that Roger Federer won gold for his country! :flowers:

Princess Alexandra
MCT International
Luxembourg's judo competitor Marie Muller with Prince Sebastien and Princess Alexandra at the Luxembourg's Fortis Gala in Beijing, China, on August 13th
MCT International

Back
Top Bottom