Royals at the 2008 Beijing Olympics

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did you guys see the Americans beat the French in the men's 4x100 swimming relay?

You can view the whole thing on nbcolympics.com if you missed it. One of the BEST recoveries I've seen in a sporting event. You can beat that joins countdowns about the greatest moments in sports history!

That was so great! My mom and I were up watching it and we were both screaming "Go, go, go!!" I was very pleased that I had seen it, as it was all over the news. I usually miss moments like this.

Yes the American recovery was very good - tough on the French tho, but thats sport isnt it?!

I'm really well and truely ready to see a medal ceremony - we havent had one on tv yet. NZ has yet to win a medal bec there havent been any rowing finals yet, nor sailing I dont think and we screwed up in equestrian; and they dont seem to show us medal ceremonies for other countries (e.g. for swimming we get ads instead!) which infuriates me.

I will be (trying to) follow the rowing, gymnastics and swimming in particular.

I really wish there was a TV deal you could purchase that offered 24-hour Olympic coverage and you could get a special remote where you could choose a country and a sport and you would get full coverage for that sport when you wanted. So if I wanted to watch the USA swim team, it would show me those events, but if I wanted to watch, say, Sheikha Maitha or Princess Nathalie, I could switch to the UAE or Denmark's events and see that!

Does anyone know when Maitha and Nathalie compete? Or have they already had their events? NBC has provided zero coverage of royals, so I was hoping for a glimpse of one of these ladies!

Oh, I was looking for information on Nathalie's Olympics page, and I found this really sweet!
Why this sport?
The sport is a family tradition. (FEI 07/07/04)

Most influential person in career
Her father because of his support. "I could not do this without him." (FEI 29/06/04)

Superstitions / Rituals / Beliefs
She always wears two of her grandmother's necklaces. (FEI 07/07/04)

Does she mean Queen Ingrid's necklaces? And I think it's sweet to say that about her father! Richard and Benedikte must be so proud of her! And I like the bit about it being a family tradition!

The son-in-law (the coach) was NZ-born and did an interview for Close Up (on TVNZ), because he wanted an opportunity to thank the people (implied NZ & Americans) for their messages of support. He said that it was likely to be the only interview.

You can find a short written story here, and the full story (clip) is (I would say) likely to be posted here later in the night.

He said that the family had spoken to President Bush and he said that they felt Bush genuinley cared, and that the President had ensured the best care was available for Barb, his mother in law who is now in a serious but stable condition.

The interview was done last night.

Prince Albert of Monaco participating as a IOC member in a victory ceremony in fencing, Olympic Games 2008 in Beijing, China August 10, 2008

Pic 1***Pic 2***Pic 3

:)

(IBL)

Nice gallery of Frederik and Mary yesterday; at the badminton, during a press conference, and on a tour of the Athletes' Village
http://galleri.tv2.dk/index.php/category-Nyhederne/id-14137742/page-4.html

Plus a second gallery, from Politiken, of the duo attending the badminton with Aunt Benedikte

--
We can expect Benedikte to be in Hong Kong now, Nathalie will be riding tomorrow (August 13). Here she is posing with the other three Danish riders during a press conference today

Last edited:
Best wishes to Natalie and the rest of the equestrian team.

Also competitions where the US athletes are not favourites to win are not being telecast in the US. unless one stays up at 3am to watch some channel on direct TV or whatever.

This also upsets my dad. His favorite sports are the shooting events and the wrestling. Most of the shooting is only found online except for three times when it's on cable as part of multiple event coverage. And he has neither cable tv nor a computer!

And I love the US Team's berets (here on Lindsay Davenport, but it looks best on Kobe Bryant) and the Spanish team's hats (on Rafa Nadal)

;)
I wasn't too fond of the look of the US team. I did like Poland and one other country who's name escapes me where the women wore cocktail type sleeveless dresses to march in. I think that was a really nice classy look for the evening event. And then there was the Hungarian women in their floral print suits. :blink:

NBCOlympics.com - Gymnasts rally for a bronze

Congrats to the Men's Gymnastics Team on their Bronze medal! No one really expected them to medal without them Hamm twins - me included. They really did have an incredible meet.

But speaking of tennis, if Federer and Nadal play each other, even for a medal, I wonder if it'll make it onto US tv considering they're not American athletes.

The opening ceremony was the most beautiful I have ever seen. The lights the choregraphy everything was perfect. This is my favorite Olympic of all time.

My favorite part was the giant footprint fireworks that approached the stadium.......until I found out they were fake! They were actually computer generated because they decided it would be too dangerous to launch fireworks with a helicopter overhead. That never occured to me when I was watching it on tv.:bang:

According to El Mundo, Felipe has left from Beijing today. He is going to Paraguay and Dominican Republic in a couple of days. According to spanish papers, Letizia returned to Spain on Sunday.
Prince Felipe at the waterpolo match
El Mundo
Felipe with Juan Antonia Samaranch on Sunday
Olycom
Olycom
Prince Albert and Charlene Wittstock during men´s boxing event
Getty Images (Love is in the air...)
Getty Images
Daylife
Daylife

According to El Mundo, Felipe has left from Beijing today. He is going to Paraguay and Dominican Republic in a couple of days. According to spanish papers, Letizia returned to Spain on Sunday.
Prince Felipe at the waterpolo match
El Mundo
Felipe with Juan Antonia Samaranch on Sunday
Olycom
Olycom
Prince Albert and Charlene Wittstock during men´s boxing event
Getty Images (Love is in the air...)
Getty Images
Daylife
Daylife
that dress does not seems to go well with her but nice colour as for the hand kiss albert did it for the media attention:whistling:

Princess Royal attends the dressage competition of Beijing Olympic Equestrian Event
Photoshot
Photoshot
Princess Royal with her husband Tim Lawrence, son Peter Phillips and his wife Autumn, and lord Sebastian Coe at the Shatin Equestrian centre Hong Kong during the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games
MediumPhoto
MediumPhoto
Mediumphoto
MediumPhoto
MediumPhoto
MediumPhoto
Felipe at the waterpolo match
Sur
Felipe yesterday watching Rafael Nadal
Sur
Photo gallery of Albert and Charlene at the Olympics
La Repubblica/Instancabile Charlene, regina delle tribune olimpiche

and how about the hulabaloo about the little girl singer. That the singer we saw "mimed" the song and she was picked because she was cute. And the original singer was not allowed to sing because she was not cute enough.
In my opinion, she was cute, but her teeth were a little crooked. Big whoop! They could have styled her hair with some curls, plop a bow in it, and stick her in a cute dress, and tada!!!! Cute singer with a perfect voice.
Poor kid. Now she is gonna live her life with the stigma of not being cute enough to sing her song on t.v.
I'm very disappointed in China right now for their decisions.
It almost seems as if they "cheated" on the opening ceremonies.

Hi everyone.

Can i post photos of Sheikha Maitha from the Olympics opening here or in the UAE Royal family section?

Thank you.

Bob Costas who is a Greek and a sports newscaster for NBC, made a pointed remark during the Opening Ceremonies that China spent $300,000,000 for the games. 10 times as much as Greece. I suppose no one told him Greece has 10 million people and does not sell to the whole wide world almost everything they consume.......It is a much smaller poorer country. Still there were no smoking mirrors. They put on a real show.

Anyway How about Phelps? What a swimmer that boy!. I am waiting for today's results to find out how he did.

This also upsets my dad. His favorite sports are the shooting events and the wrestling. Most of the shooting is only found online except for three times when it's on cable as part of multiple event coverage. And he has neither cable tv nor a computer!

The men's trap shooting was on Sunday afternoon on MSNBC. I also love to watch the shooting sports and let me tell you these guys are tremendous shots. The gold medal winner from the Czech Republic went 25 for 25 in the final round :ohmy:

Are any of the Swedish Royal Family supporting their teams in China?

Last edited:
About Pss Anne it must be little hard for her that her girl is not there...

Back
Top Bottom