Royals and the 2016 Rio Olympic & Paralympic Games.

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Besides Anne, do the BRF ever go (except London obviously). Sochi and Vancouver only Anne.:ermm: Its non news Harry/Will/Kate not going, doubt anyone thought they would.

Why would British Royals go to the Winter Olympics if they aren't IOC members like Anne is? Britain isn't a Winter Olympics powerhouse -22 medals in the winter compared to 780 in the summer all time.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I am not surprised at all. I would be surprised if any of the royals in "child bearing age" does go. I know I wouldn't.

In fact, unless you are already pregnant or planning to get pregnant in the near future (like within six months or so according to the CDC), there is really no need to be extra cautious just for being of "child bearing age". As I understand it, the body is cleared of the Zika virus some time following an infection and, once the virus is cleared, it can no longer be transmitted by sexual intercourse or to an unborn baby in a future pregnancy,

Last edited:
In fact, unless you are already pregnant or planning to get pregnant in the near future (like the next two or three months), there is really no need to be extra cautious just for being of "child bearing age". As I understand it, the body is cleared of the Zika virus some time following an infection and, once the virus is cleared, it can no longer be transmitted by sexual intercourse or to an unborn baby in a future pregnancy,
As far as I've heard, they don't know enough of the virus to say that yet. They suspect it may be able to lay latent in the body to pop up later and don't know if it's sexually transmittable during that time or can affect future pregnancies. I know I would not risk it but all of them have to make their own choices. It must be so hard for the competitiors to make that choice!

As far as I've heard, they don't know enough of the virus to say that yet. They suspect it may be able to lay latent in the body to pop up later and don't know if it's sexually transmittable during that time or can affect future pregnancies. I know I would not risk it but all of them have to make their own choices. It must be so hard for the competitiors to make that choice!

Since I am not a medical doctor, nor an expert, I can't really say if you are right or not, but all official guidelines I've seen so far say you should be OK if you wait at least eight weeks following full recovery from an infection before you try to get pregnant. Men who have been infected should on the other hand avoid unprotected sex for at least six months, see e.g.

Zika virus - NHS Choices

Besides Anne, do the BRF ever go (except London obviously). Sochi and Vancouver only Anne.:ermm: Its non news Harry/Will/Kate not going, doubt anyone thought they would.

As Skippyboo said, BRF have no need to attend Winter Olympics.
Summer is a different matter particular when all 3 are ambassadors for Team GB.

I understand while Catherine may not attend due to unknown risk, but that's not reason to stop William and Henry going.

Rio is nowhere near prepared for this games.... :whistling:

Since the virus can be transmitted via sex, Kate staying home and William going doesn't really prevent anything. Also they may have been advised by the security services not to attend.

Wasn't the team GB ambassadors only for London 2012?

Frankly, I don't think anyone should hav expected W&K to attend the Olympics this years.
Four years ago, it was almost a given since the location was London. I even rembember some outrage at them not attenind some paraolympic games...
But imo, Rio has never been on the cards...

Since the virus can be transmitted via sex, Kate staying home and William going doesn't really prevent anything. Also they may have been advised by the security services not to attend.

Exactly!

I also seem to remember them just being ambassadors for the 2012 stint as well! I also wonder if it was never in the cards to begin with.

My understanding is that neither William nor Kate are likely to attend. Royal watchers may be speculating now whether: (a) Kate is already pregnant and we don't know about it, or (b) Kate is planning to get pregnant again soon.

Personally, as an adult who doesn't plan to have children any time soon, I'd be more worried about the risk of developing Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS) after a Zika infection, but, again, as I also said before, one can also develop GBS following a flu, or a gastrointestinal infection, or after getting some types of vaccine shots.

Maybe if Zara made the team but once she didn't, it is not surprising that they aren't going.

With the IOC *covering itself in glory* over the Russian doping issue, why would ANYBODY bother with a clearly crooked 'competition'.. it is a disgrace to the memory and legacy of its founders.

The BRF don't really have a history of going to summer Olympics, the exception being Anne and Tim. Zika or not, I didn't think anyone was going to go besides Anne.
2012 was special for the BRF since it was in London, they really couldn't avoid not going.

It seems all Olympics carry the risk and negative articles about being disasters, but once the competitions start I'm sure the athletes will enjoy their time, 4 years of waiting.

Frankly, I don't think anyone should hav expected W&K to attend the Olympics this years.
Four years ago, it was almost a given since the location was London. I even rembember some outrage at them not attenind some paraolympic games...
But imo, Rio has never been on the cards...

i believe W and K did attend the paralympic games:

they were there for the opening ceremony
they also went for some of the competitions: rowing finals at the London 2012 Paralympic Games at Eton Dorney on Sept. 2, 2012, in Windsor, England; C5 Individual Pursuit heat at the London 2012 Paralympic Games on Aug. 30, 2012, in London.

kate even presented medals: 'Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, right, presents a gold medal to Great Britain's Aled Davies after he won the Men's Discus F42 athletics event during the London 2012 Paralympic Games at the Olympic Stadium in east London, on Sept. 2, 2012.'

Prince William and Kate attend the Paralympic Games in London - CBS News

i believe W and K did attend the paralympic games:

they were there for the opening ceremony
they also went for some of the competitions: rowing finals at the London 2012 Paralympic Games at Eton Dorney on Sept. 2, 2012, in Windsor, England; C5 Individual Pursuit heat at the London 2012 Paralympic Games on Aug. 30, 2012, in London.

kate even presented medals: 'Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, right, presents a gold medal to Great Britain's Aled Davies after he won the Men's Discus F42 athletics event during the London 2012 Paralympic Games at the Olympic Stadium in east London, on Sept. 2, 2012.'

Prince William and Kate attend the Paralympic Games in London - CBS News

I didn't say the couple didn't attend the event, I am aware of that thank you. I only mentioned some controvery emerged at that time. But you missed my point: I just wanted to say that the british royal in general, and W&k in particular weren't supposed to attend the Olympics in Rio in the first place.

Kensington palace said that William, Kate and Harry will not be present at Rio,
I understand that the princesses at the age to conceive don't want to go to Rio.Kate and Charlene are right not to come to Rio.

It was normal that Kate, William and Harry were present during all the matches of the olympic games in 2012, It was in London their country, they were the ambassadors of Great Britain

All the royals were present in London with their children, there were no sanitary problems nor virus Zika .and the town London was sure what is not the case of Rio, this year.
It was a mistake from CIO to design Rio as future olympic town.

I think Zika is not the only reason royals may not attend. Security is a likely concern. A search for "Rio Security" news is more than a bit un-reassuring.

I didn't say the couple didn't attend the event, I am aware of that thank you. I only mentioned some controvery emerged at that time. But you missed my point: I just wanted to say that the british royal in general, and W&k in particular weren't supposed to attend the Olympics in Rio in the first place.

i was not contesting you at all, i was just reposting the pictures as me, myself, couldn't even remember if they did indeed go, so i thought some posters would appreciate the reminder too. if anything, i was contesting those 'controversies' that you pointed out. no need to attack, and no, i didn't miss your point, i just used your prompt and developed on it. it's ridiculous the amount of nit-picky in these forums these days that one needs to explain him/herself all the time...

I understand that the princesses at the age to conceive don't want to go to Rio.Kate and Charlene are right not to come to Rio.

It was normal that Kate, William and Harry were present during all the matches of the olympic games in 2012, It was in London their country, they were the ambassadors of Great Britain

All the royals were present in London with their children, there were no sanitary problems nor virus Zika .and the town London was sure what is not the case of Rio, this year.

i think back then rio wasn't facing such a troubling time. their economy was strong, there was no zika and the city has a fun vibe that maybe the CIO thought would be fun for the olympics. i think it's just a series of unfortunate events.

i was not contesting you at all, i was just reposting the pictures as me, myself, couldn't even remember if they did indeed go, so i thought some posters would appreciate the reminder too. if anything, i was contesting those 'controversies' that you pointed out. no need to attack, and no, i didn't miss your point, i just used your prompt and developed on it. it's ridiculous the amount of nit-picky in these forums these days that one needs to explain him/herself all the time...

Well, believe it or not, I was thinking the same thing about your post. That detailed list of events sounded like nit-picking to me... You should have said something about it, because to me it looked as it was you the one atacking, no the other way around... We misunderstood each other. Just be clear next time.

I don't see why it would stop just because the event is no longer in London. In several of the articles posted they are referred to as ambassadors. :whistling:

First of all, the Zika virus is not indigenous to Brazil. Its natural reservoir is in Africa and the most credible hypothesis is that current virus strand now circulating in Brazil came from Polynesia and was introduced in Brazil in 2013 during the Confederations Cup (the test-event for the FIFA World Cup). There is no way anyone could have predicted at the time when Rio was selected to host the Olympics that there would be a Zika virus outbreak in Brazil in 2016.

Second, I am pretty sure that Kate, William or any other royal would not personally experience any "sanitation problems" if they went to Rio, so that cannot be a valid excuse for not going. Zika fears could be an excuse, but again, the fear is justified from a scientific point of view only if the person is pregnant or if the couple is planning to have a child in the near future. There are other risks from Zika for a generic adult person who does not fall in any of the previous categories, but they are not particularly big compared to other health risks everybody faces on a daily basis.

I agree that the IOC should not have picked Rio to host the Olympics, but for different reasons (basically because the Olympics helped to fill the pockets of corrupt Brazilian politicians and real estate developers at the expense of the welfare of the local population).

Last edited:
It was never more than tabloid press speculation. KP never said The Cambridges and Harry were going to Brazil.

It makes sense for Anne to attend given her role with the IOC

I don't see why it would stop just because the event is no longer in London. In several of the articles posted they are referred to as ambassadors. :whistling:

This is from the team GB website article in Dec 2011:

Further support for the Team GB Ambition Progamme will be provided by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry, who were introduced today as Official Ambassadors for Team GB and Paralympics GB for the London 2012 Games.....

Link to original: https://www.teamgb.com/news/roadmap-success-ambition-programme

This is from the team GB website article in Dec 2011:

Further support for the Team GB Ambition Progamme will be provided by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry, who were introduced today as Official Ambassadors for Team GB and Paralympics GB for the London 2012 Games.....

Link to original: https://www.teamgb.com/news/roadmap-success-ambition-programme

Seen that article. However Team GB didn't seize to exist after London so why should their ambassadorship? If it did. That's a pretty poor choice IMO.

There are tons of patronages that are only for a select time period. Harry was patron of last year's Rugby World Cup but that was only for the one in England, William was the patron of St Andrew's 300 anniversary, he also was patron of the Shackleton Solo Polar Expedition where Henry Worsley died are just a few off my head.

I wonder if we will see any members of the extended Spanish Royal Family present?

Do we know if the king felipe and queen Letizia will be at the games of Rio?

Back
Top Bottom