D-Day 70th Anniversary: June 6, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Queen maxima looks at the last photo stunning

In fairness there appears to be others who aren't applausing in this photo, Maxima being another one, it might be just how the camera caught them. However, in the case of Putin, his appearance is also playing to the home crowd and more important for him is how clapping the Queen might be received back in Russia.

It is odd that Queen Maxima is also on the photo (the only royal consort BTW). I find it highly inappropriate given that it is supposed to be a photo of heads of state (monarchs, presidents) or government (prime-ministers) only.

Isn't Maxima the Queen of the Netherlands and WA her consort? :p:p:p:p:whistling::whistling::whistling:

In fairness there appears to be others who aren't applausing in this photo, Maxima being another one, it might be just how the camera caught them. However, in the case of Putin, his appearance is also playing to the home crowd and more important for him is how clapping the Queen might be received back in Russia.

Prince Charles called Putin a dictator a few weeks ago during his Canadian tour. I suppose the Russian president is not very fond of the British Royal Family right now.

Isn't Maxima the Queen of the Netherlands and WA her consort? :p:p:p:p:whistling::whistling::whistling:

That's what bothers some Dutch people from what I've been told (I'm not Dutch, so I couldn't tell !).

The Royal House, however, after much controversy, made it clear in its WWW page that Maxima has a courtesy title of queen (as the king's wife), but should be referred to as "Queen Maxima, Princess of the Netherlands" and not "Queen Maxima of the Netherlands", the latter style being reserved solely to a reigning queen like Beatrix.

Last edited:
:bang:It boggles my mind why *Did not ALL HEADS OF STATES give the Queen a large round of applause when she appeared? She is the Queen of England, the British Empire for heavens sake. She served in WW11, what more does anyone need? She was there in the mist of it all, as some of the others and she is the longest serving head of state there.....where is common courtesy these days?

You have great insight DOM....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:I so very much love your comment, yes indeed she is :flowers:Queen of the Netherlands:flowers: and WA is her consort as should be. They are the most in love couple next to V/D of Sweden and F/L of Spain out there. She is so full of life and joy and happiness it just shines through each time I see her picture.

You have great insight DOM....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:I so very much love your comment, yes indeed she is :flowers:Queen of the Netherlands:flowers: and WA is her consort as should be. They are the most in love couple next to V/D of Sweden and F/L of Spain out there. She is so full of life and joy and happiness it just shines through each time I see her picture.

Daniel, according to the words of CP Frederick of Denmark, is a "very humble man" (in a good sense, of course). He and Victoria are obviously in love, but, in public life at least, he's OK to let Victoria shine, whereas he plays the role of the supporting consort. Maxima is also very much in love with Willem-Alexander, but she is a strong, independent woman and seems to favor more of an "equal marriage". At least that's how I see it.

Not to change the subject but, Maxima's sunglasses were just atrocious! What on earth was she thinking wearing them with that outfit?!

:bang:It boggles my mind why *Did not ALL HEADS OF STATES give the Queen a large round of applause when she appeared? She is the Queen of England, the British Empire for heavens sake. She served in WW11, what more does anyone need? She was there in the mist of it all, as some of the others and she is the longest serving head of state there.....where is common courtesy these days?

I agree with you, The Queen is also head of state of 16 countries and head of the Commonwealth.

Videos:
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have met veterans at the D-Day commemorations in Normandy today. Shows: int gvs William and Kate chatting to veterans inside tent at Arromanches, Normandy-
Home - ITNSource News

The Queen has joined British veterans at Bayeux cemetery in Normandy, to honour those who took part in the D-Day landings 70 years ago. Shows: gvs Queen arrival at Bayeux cemetary and being greeted by Prince Charles and Camilla, Queen laying wreath, Royals greeting veterans-
Home - ITNSource News

I wasn't talking about Stalin.

Regardless of one's opinion of Putin and Russia, the involvement of the Soviet Union during the Second World War is not one to take lightly. They played a huge role in defeating Germany, despite the fact that Stalin could be considered to have been a dictator comparable to Hitler.

As such, regardless of the politics with the current situation between the West and Russia right now, it would be hugely inappropriate to exclude Putin from such an event or from the official photographs of the dignitaries/heads of state.

As noted by Nico, King Harald did not applaud. This means he too did not recognise Queen Elizabeth's II contribution to the victory.
As for the dictator, the dogs barks, but the caravan goes on. Leaders of the enlighten western regimes are consensus figures bought by the moneyed elite.

Is this really necessary? While I agree that the comments regarding Putin aren't constructive to this thread, is it really necessary to attack Western democracies?

I don't know why King Harald didn't applaud for Queen Elizabeth, but I doubt it's because he doesn't recognize her contributions. The smile on his face suggests otherwise, as does the fact that they're believed to have a close relationship.

I don't think Putin's lack of clapping says anything about his personal opinions on the Queen, her contributions, Britain, etc. I think instead he's not clapping because given the comments made by Charles recently, it would send the wrong message to the people a home in Russia.

D-Day 70th Anniversary; June 6th, 2014

Putin did not applaud when The Queen arrived.

Neither King Harald of Norway, and i woud'nt suspect a frosty relashionship btw him and the Queen.

Here is a video of the arrival of the Queen in Normandy this afternoon

70 ans du D-Day : l'arrivée de la Reine d'Angleterre Elizabeth II - YouTube

(I hope it's allowed to quote from other threads. If not please remove it)
As can be seen on video from QEII's arrival both Putin and KH applauded as she made her way down the carpet to greet the veterans

Last edited:
Is this really necessary? While I agree that the comments regarding Putin aren't constructive to this thread, is it really necessary to attack Western democracies?

I don't know why King Harald didn't applaud for Queen Elizabeth, but I doubt it's because he doesn't recognize her contributions. The smile on his face suggests otherwise, as does the fact that they're believed to have a close relationship.

I don't think Putin's lack of clapping says anything about his personal opinions on the Queen, her contributions, Britain, etc. I think instead he's not clapping because given the comments made by Charles recently, it would send the wrong message to the people a home in Russia.
It would be impossible to determine why President Putin did not applaud.

President of Russia:Celebrating the 70th anniversary of D-Day

Last edited:
I think it is great that all the Heads of State could come together and remember what happened 70 years ago.

I think it is great that all the Heads of State could come together and remember what happened 70 years ago.

I agree. Always nice to see various Heads of State together, I think, but especially nice to see that some can put their differences aside to commemorate such a significant day.

(I hope it's allowed to quote from other threads. If not please remove it)
As can be seen on video from QEII's arrival both Putin and KH applauded as she made her way down the carpet to greet the veterans

You're right, I did not notice it earlier.

As noted by Nico, King Harald did not applaud. This means he too did not recognise Queen Elizabeth's II contribution to the victory.

Queen Elizabeth also didn´t applause at some points while the other dignitaries did. Do you really believe you can read anything from this?!
As for the King of Norway, he is very much known for holding the Queen in very high esteem and they had an excellent relationship all their lives!
When he and his family visited Britain in 2005 he said in an interview that the Queen (of Britain) was a role model for many, including him.
Please stick to facts and don´t interpret gestures which are pure speculation!

I was making a point that being a dictator does not prevent one from being photographed with the POTUS or the British PM for example. Putin was there because of Russia's role in the war.

I get why he was invited. But I think the Russians were quite enveloped in things on their own front. Does anyone know if there was a Russian contingent on the beaches on D Day? I'm not minimizing what was going on in the Russian front - at all. It certainly occupied German efforts on that front and played a crucial role. But I truly don't know the extent of Russian aid in Normandy.
See: Who won the war? Russians take a different view on D-day
D-Day: Three Unique Perspectives: World War II and D-Day

The Royal House, however, after much controversy, made it clear in its WWW page that Maxima has a courtesy title of queen (as the king's wife), but should be referred to as "Queen Maxima, Princess of the Netherlands" and not "Queen Maxima of the Netherlands", the latter style being reserved solely to a reigning queen like Beatrix.[/QUOTE]

??? When the Queen received an award in Germany´s Baden-Baden some weeks ago (WA sitting in the audience, visibly very proud of his wife), she referred herself in her speech "... as Queen of the Netherlands,..." So how fits this together with your statement? I think she will know best about her titles...

Last edited:
When I see the Queen at events like this it really makes me dread the day she's not with us anymore. The level of respect and affection for her from many people all over the world is so touching.

Are you being serious? :ermm: The British Empire is no more. Anyway, she was there in her capacity as head of state, like a couple of other heads of state, including monarchs, and she WAS NOT the evening's star... Really, it was about those thousands who perished on D-Day and those few who are still alive. Shame on you, heads of state, for not going crazy about Her Most Gracious, Britannic, Indian and the whole Imperial Majesty arriving!

She trained as a driver and mechanic and was promoted to honorary Junior Commander of the Auxiliary Territorial Service and that was all about her "service" in the 2nd world war. Is she really a veteran? Anyone who lived then and was old enough, was affected and connected someway to the warfare or its consequences.

I think that taking someone's applauding or not as a sign of sth more than just not doing that thing, is ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom