75th Anniversary of the Liberation of Auschwitz: January 27, 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
King Felipe VI of Spain attends the International Leader's Forum in Tel Aviv.

HRH The Prince of Wales meets British Holocaust Survivors in Jerusalem.

HRH The Prince of Wales meets with the Israeli President Reuven Rivlin.

How nice of Prince Charles to bow to King Philippe when they met at

3:06 .

How nice of Prince Charles to bow to King Philippe when they met at

3:06 .
King Philippe and Prince Charles have in common the fact that Philippe's great-grandmother Queen Elisabeth and Charles grandmother Princess Alice were both honoured as "Righteous of the nations" for their struggles to save Jews during the war.

Also King Felipe is really working that nightmare of a room. The crowds would probably make me go mad with claustrophobia.

It's a complete fuss about nothing. They'd already greeted each other and had a long talk. There's no way that the Prince of Wales would publicly snub the VP of the United States. And, yes, it would be nice if the media could remember that this was an event to mark the 75th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz, not a gala dinner.

It isn´t nice I guess. It´s royal protocol - a Prince bows to a monarch

It is still nice even if it is protocol. CP Frederik for example didn't bow to King Philippe on the King of the Belgians' state visit to Denmark, but CP Mary curtsied.

Prince Charles obviously values protocol.

I agree, especially since even a small amount of research shows that there was no snub, they had met and greeted each other previously. I get so tired sometimes.
Although I think this again is really nothing worth to argue about, I´ve heard the Prince of Wales saying after entering the hall "I´ve just arrived!" to I think Mrs Natanyahu it was, obviously as an excuse that he was one of the last dignitaries to arrive (Putin actually was the very last one). So if he and Pence really had the opportunity to have met before I do not know.
Didn´t Charles come right from Davos - or did he arrive earlier in the Holy Land?

But Prince Charles is older.
It doesn't matter. Rank goes before age. This is said to be the reason why King Carl XVI Gustav abolished the ceremonial court curtsey when he ascended the Swedish throne in 1973. He felt embarrassed that older ladies that he had known his whole life should suddenly do deep curtseys when greeting him.

Although I think this again is really nothing worth to argue about, I've heard the Prince of Wales saying after entering the hall "I've just arrived!" to I think Mrs Natanyahu it was, obviously as an excuse that he was one of the last dignitaries to arrive (Putin actually was the very last one). So if he and Pence really had the opportunity to have met before I do not know.
Didn't Charles come right from Davos - or did he arrive earlier in the Holy Land?

Prince Charles arrived in Israel the day before, he flew Scotland-Switzerland-Israel in the same day.

Court Circular 22nd January:
Clarence House
The Prince of Wales this morning departed from Prestwick International Airport for Switzerland.
His Royal Highness today attended the World Economic Forum Annual Meeting in Davos.
Mr. Clive Alderton, Mrs. Jennifer Jordan-Saifi and Mr. Julian Payne were in attendance.
The Prince of Wales later departed for Israel and was received this evening upon arrival at Tel Aviv Ben Gurion International Airport by Her Majesty's Ambassador to the State of Israel (His Excellency Mr. Neil Wigan).

Live later the 75th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz

Last edited:
Has it been confirmed that the Duchess of Cornwall will attend the ceremony ?

According to the website of Auschwitz-Birkenau Museum (the organizer), the list of official confirmed guests includes the following royals:
The King and Queen of the Netherlands
The King and Queen of the Belgians
The King and Queen of Spain
The Grand Duke of Luxembourg
The Crown Prince of Norway
The Crown Princess of Sweden
The Duchess of Cornwall

No royal from Denmark, they are sending the Minister of Foreign Affairs. Why so low representation?
Also, Monaco will be represented by its foreign minister while Liechtenstein is sending its Prime Minister.

No representatives from non-European monarchies, not even Ambassadors (at least they'are not on the list).

Additionally, there will be 13 presidents plus the Governor-General of Canada and President of the European Council (aka President of the EU) ranking as heads of state, 16 prime ministers, and ministers, heads of national legislatures and ambassadors.

Source: http://www.auschwitz.org/delegacje-panstwowe/

https://tvpstream.vod.tvp.pl/?channel_id=1455
Polish Television stream

Last edited by a moderator:
They'are all there, seating in front row with the Polish presidential couple. Live stream from the Museum is on

Camilla is seated just behind King Philippe

With translation in english

Gallery of Victoria arriving to Poland with prime minister Stefan Löfven, they arrived with the government plane.
Belga Image
Victoria har landat_ hedrar offren i dödslägret Auschwitz - Allt om kungligt

Gallery
Belga Image
Victoria
https://beta.tt.se/media/image/sdl0dR-XNua2G4_WatermarkPreview.jpg

Victoria hedrade förintelsens offer i Auschwitz _ Svensk Dam

The swedish royal court at its website:
On Monday, January 27, on the International Holocaust Remembrance Day it was paid attention to the victims. On the same day, the Crown Princess was present in Poland at the commemoration of the 75th anniversary of Auschwitz-Birkenau's liberation.
Nine survivors from Sweden participated in the Memorial. The official Sweden was represented by the Crown Princess, the Speaker of the Riksdag and the Prime Minister.
Kronprinsessan vid minneshögtid i Auschwitz-Birkenau - Sveriges Kungahus
Court Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/p/B71Rg9vAiru/

Victoria, the Speaker of the Riksdag Andreas Norlén and prime minister Stefan Löfven paid tribute to the victims at the Monument in Birkenau.
https://beta.tt.se/media/image/sdlplxK_y-ocAc_WatermarkPreview.jpg
https://beta.tt.se/media/image/sdlRi-J_RreTRg_WatermarkPreview.jpg
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
https://beta.tt.se/media/image/sdlrAtbTDc14OA_WatermarkPreview.jpg

Gripen Victoria på ceremoni för nazismens offer - Allt om kungligt
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=7bf516ac6e8eda1b4b986d82104cc8be&oe=5E95AE0A
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=33bba54f6de58c4a8ba21a6f10786776&oe=5EC40B9A

Victoria and Haakon
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=886efc255296654e679d38355b9420e5&oe=5E98BEED

Reactions: kbk
It is still nice even if it is protocol. CP Frederik for example didn't bow to King Philippe on the King of the Belgians' state visit to Denmark, but CP Mary curtsied.

Prince Charles obviously values protocol.
When F. didn´t bow, he obviously does not know what he ows to a King or Queen. Pretty strange for a man born into a reigning royal family and future King. Still I wouldn´t call it "nice" if someone bows his head to a King as it is a normally something institutionalised ritual that you just do because it is, these days more or less, expected of you.

But Prince Charles is older.
This has nothing to do with age, but status. Even if Charles was 80 and the King or Queen he would meet would be 18 or in his 20s, he would bow his head if he would obey royal protocol.

Yes indeed & a most solemn one.

I wonder why she was seated where she was. She did represent one of the important players of ww2 after all. I guess it must be because of her lowly status compared to heads of state. Still strikes me as odd though.

Events like this are done on precedence, and ease of access to the main stage if needed for speaking. Camilla, is not a head of state nor is she the wife of one. Has nothing to do with the part the United Kingdom played in the war.

When F. didn´t bow, he obviously does not know what he ows to a King or Queen. Pretty strange for a man born into a reigning royal family and future King. Still I wouldn´t call it "nice" if someone bows his head to a King as it is a normally something institutionalised ritual that you just do because it is, these days more or less, expected of you.

CP Frederik always bows to his own mother, so he understands the protocol. For some reason, he chooses, however, not to bow to King Philippe or, indeed, also to King Willem-Alexander.

Dutch state visit to Denmark

In any case, bowing is never compulsory, especially to the the Head of State of another country. Prince Charles does it out of respect and tradition, I suppose.

EDIT: BTW, I just noticed that Prince Henrik didn't bow either. Prince Joachim was the only male member of the Danish royal house who observed the protocol on that video.

Last edited:
Events like this are done on precedence, and ease of access to the main stage if needed for speaking. Camilla, is not a head of state nor is she the wife of one. Has nothing to do with the part the United Kingdom played in the war.

Yes I understand. These type of events don't always follow a strict precedence though. If you look at the arrival of the Prince of Wales at the D Day 70th events he arrives after all the heads of state (including crowned heads) other than POTUS & his mother who arrive next in that order. That was very much a recognition of the part British (& Canadian) troops played.

Yes I understand. These type of events don't always follow a strict precedence though. If you look at the arrival of the Prince of Wales at the D Day 70th events he arrives after all the heads of state (including crowned heads) other than POTUS & his mother who arrive next in that order. That was very much a recognition of the part British (& Canadian) troops played.

You can look similarly to the events in Israel recently where the last person to sit down was President Putin.

D-Day was a very country specific WW2 event, the liberation is not.

You can look similarly to the events in Israel recently where the last person to sit down was President Putin.

D-Day was a very country specific WW2 event, the liberation is not.

There will be other examples where precedence is not always strictly followed but this is not the thread to have that discussion I feel.

Photo from swedish prime minister Stefan Löfven's Facebook
https://scontent-hel2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=b3a72171cb08ce64c66d932c5f99a793&oe=5E9318B9

Photo from Flickr of The Office of the President of Finland
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49451100602_a12ee7a5ff_k.jpg

Princess Victoria attends International Holocaust Victims Remembrance Day in Poland* _ Daily Mail Online

Gallery of Victoria in Auschwitz
Belga Image

Victoria stayed in Poland overnight.
Crown Princess Victoria has become stuck at the airport in Poland since the government plane again had technical problems and stayed in Poland.
- Yes, it is true that the crown princess stays overnight, confirms the director of the press department Margareta Thorgren for TT.
Victoria participated with Prime Minister Stefan Löfven and Speaker of the Riksdag Andreas Norlén during Monday's memorial ceremony for the liberation of the Auschwitz-Birkenau extermination camp.
All swedish survivors from the Holocaust who were on the trip were able to go home with the second government plane during the evening. But to make this possible, Victoria chose to stop at the airport and return home regularly at 5am on Tuesday morning.
Swedish civil servants have also stayed at the airport to allow all survivors to come home during the evening. However, Stefan Löfven and Andreas Norlén have been placed on the plane with destination Sweden.
Victorias fina gest mot de Förintelseöverlevande

The commemoration was so moving, it is important to listen to the speeches of the survivors. And take care that it will never happen again.

Last edited:
I find all the trifling about bowing very disrespectful seeing as the thread is about the 75th Anniversary of the Liberation of Auschwitz,there's a thread on bowing and curtsies in the General Royal Discussion area.

Yes, me too. It is a pity that trivial issues are being discussed in this thread rather than the importance of the event itself. I agree with the previous poster who said it shows what a world we live in if some are more concerned about who bowed to who rather than the deceased and surviving of Auschwitz.

Back
Top Bottom