The Opening Ceremony of the 2012 London Olympics

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't know she designed these ones as well.

Ralph Lauren designed and a fantastic job he did as well! Only ones more elegant were the Danes.

Ah yes but at least yours weren't made in China :whistling: And berets, while they look good, are not particularly American...

O God, the music right now is just awful. They could have found a better band than Arctic Monkeys surely?

EDIT: I see I'm not the only one disappointed with the music :)

Is this our version of the doves of peace? At least we can be sure this time they won't be burnt alive by the Olympic flame like they were in Seoul (I think?)

Judging by the music I'm guessing Paul McCartney is coming up in a few mins

Judging by the music I'm guessing Paul McCartney is coming up in a few mins

Paul is closing the closing ceremony. He is supposedly not featured in the Opening Ceremony.

Surely that is not how you pronounce Rogge?

Last edited:
Is this our version of the doves of peace? At least we can be sure this time they won't be burnt alive by the Olympic flame like they were in Seoul (I think?)
Personally I would have ever guessed, but that's actually the segment celebrating the bicycle. Doves would have been better.
75 symbolic 'dove bikes' represent the traditional doves which were released at the Games in ancient times to signal peace.
@London2012

I believe that was Zara Phillips. I have always read he was closing the closing ceremony, but we'll see.

Wasn't this supposed be ended, at least here in Finland it was said that it should have ended 10 minutes ago...

So sleepy now... Stayed throughout the night & waiting for the ceremony to start. It's 7.10am now - been watching since 4am!!

supposedly they cut 30 minutes from the opening ceremony.

Some inaccuracies in Seb's speech.

Paul is closing the closing ceremony. He is supposedly not featured in the Opening Ceremony.

Surely that is not how you pronounce Rogge?
CTV just said he's closing the opening ceremony and Paul just posted this

CDN Olympic Team ‏@CDNOlympicTeam England's Sir Paul McCartney has stellar performance near the end of the Opening Ceremony. #london2012

Simon Perry ‏@SPerryPeoplemag
@PaulMcCartney: Minutes away now! http://pic.twitter.com/VdJVsMof” as arctic monkeys play beatles

LadyFinn said:
Wasn't this supposed be ended, at least here in Finland it was said that it should have ended 10 minutes ago...

In Canada, it says it ends in about 20 minutes, so...

It says it will end here in 20 minutes but that's unlikely to happen.

Are the speeches really necessary? We get it -- this year will top all previous ones until the next one, history of the Games, blah blah

The parade of athletes always runs over time. The organisers always said it would end sometime between 00:00 and 00:30.

Unfortunately I'll have to switch dear Paul off. Arctic Monkeys should have been last.

Chris Hoy and numerous others texting there as British athletes talk amongst themselves during speeches.

Ah yes but at least yours weren't made in China :whistling:

They weren't made in China. When it was made known that the American uniforms were to be produced in China the Ralph Lauren commission was halted and relocated to the USA. And rightly so.

It's 03:12 am and I really want to sleep. :frazzled:
Monotonous speeches aren't helping either. :sleeping:

Just tuning in. Has the Queen opened the games? Has the cauldron been lit?

Did you see what the Queen was doing while the camera showed her when the British team came in to the stadium? funny.

I like the speeches best, it's the most Olympic and British thing I've heard and seen all night.

No and No.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Rogge out of his mind the birthplace of modern sports ummm isn't that Greece?? We started it all......in 1896 and actually even before that

Last edited:
No to both.:)
The Queen will make the speech soon, officially opening the game. The fire hasn't been lit yet either.

They weren't made in China. When it was made known that the American uniforms were to be produced in China the Ralph Lauren commission was halted and relocated to the USA. And rightly so.

They said they relocated it to the US. That's a lot different than actually doing it, or doing it right in the first place

American Dane said:
It says it will end here in 20 minutes but that's unlikely to happen.

Are the speeches really necessary? We get it -- this year will top all previous ones until the next one, history of the Games, blah blah

I agree about the speeches, alway the same. It's not like Dr. Rogge is going to say "we don't expect this will suck, but let's watch and hope that it doesn't". Sorry, I LOVE the olympics, but the speeches kill the festive mood!!

I like the speeches best, it's the most Olympic and British thing I've heard and seen all night.

The only speech that is necessary is the Head of State's. In this case: the Queen. But that's JMO. And all she has to say is "I officially open the (number) Olympic Games"

Jacque Rogge looks so much older and thinner as compared to 2 yrs ago when he's in my country, Singapore for the Youth Olympic Games. It's his last time attending the Olympic Game as President, IOC - he will be stepping down next year.

Back
Top Bottom