The British Royal Family & the 2012 London Olympics

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonk

Administrator
City
Somewhere in
Country
United States
:royalstandard:

LondonOlympicslogo.jpg

Welcome to the thread to discuss the
British Royal Family and the London 2012 Olympic Games

As we head into 2012, various members of the Royal Family will be participating in events to celebrate, publicize and promote
the 2012 Summer Olympics, to be held in London from 27 July to 12 August.
The Paralympics will follow, from 29 August to 9 September.

Please keep in mind these simple TRF rules:

· To ensure the Forums complies with copyright law, there are two points to note:
1. no more than 20% of the text of an article should be posted, along with a link to the original article.

2. Only pictures you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.

· We expect our members to treat each other and the royals and persons discussed in these threads with respect.
· Opinions should be supported or backed up by reference to published reports.
· Off topic and empty posts will be deleted without notice.
· Please avoid making posts in all-capital letters or all-bold or multi-coloured typeface.

Enjoy the Forums and Happy Posting! :)

Warren, wbenson & Zonk
British Forum Moderators

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought patronages were supposed to have something to do with the patron? I understand the link between Princess Anne and the Olympics, but not for these three. Seems a little "oh we need to give them something to do" if you get me.
The Olympics will be over in a year, why not give them something longer lasting as a patronage.

They are probably chosen because they're young and like sport (polo and hockey on grass-Kate) + they're popular. But indeed P Anne has more connection with Olympics I think. Zara too, but she probably will be in a Olympic team so she won't have time to be 'a patron'.

They are young and popular and will attract a lot more attention to the cause than their aunt would, besides Anne is already heavily involved as President of British Olympic Assoc and an IOC member as well as her involvement with the London organizing committee.

^^^I agree, due to their "star power," I'm sure they'll attract more attention than the older generation royals.

They will perhaps attract attention to whatever events they attending, which I personally don't think will have anything to do with the actual games, more like posing for pictures with the athletes, pre games parties/dinners etc. They'll be, I imagine, very little professional pictures taken of the couple and Harry should they choose to attend any actual events.
Therefore they're not actual attracting any real publicity, unless people for some odd reason choose to watch the entire olympics for a glimpse of Catherine, William and Harry.

Kate seems to be very into sports, to me. More than most women, anyway. And Prince William is definitely the athletic sort (the all-round athlete). At any rate, it seems like a natural link to me - and when it's over, they'll both have more experience doing this kind of thing together and ready to branch out.

It does make me wonder, though, if airfare increases (etc) and the incredible cost of UK hotels is keeping people away - and this is designed to bring people in. We're thinking of a trip to London next summer, but are hoping to plan it on the first weekend of June instead of during the Olympics - maybe we're not alone. The Queen and her doings are still far more interesting to me than the sports (but if Prince William was going to be there...well, probably still too expensive for us). :sad:

Just because he's a patron does not mean he's actually going to attend any of the events, it's highly likely of course because as you say he's interested in certain sports. But i'm guessing his work as with Harry will come first before popping to the olympics for a 'day out'. It's a lot of money to spend just to see William, IMO. I'm just going to watch it on telly with a good old cup of tea ;)

So far as I know, most of the Olympic tickets have now sold out, and so I don't think that Royal patrons can really 'attract' people to the games in the sense that it would encourage people to visit [buy tickets] at this stage in the proceedings.

Slightly OT, but if you do visit the UK, Princess, I think that June and May would be much better months, particularly if you want to 'see some royals'. My best tips for 'royal sightings' is The Royal Windsor Horse Show; modest prices for entrance and lots of opportunity to see the Queen and Prince Philip and usually Edward and Sophie and their children very informally and up close. I took an American friend to the show a couple of years ago: on the first day the Queen walked by about 3 feet from us, looking at all the stalls. [there are masses of stalls at Royal Windsor - it is like a large market full of country-themed goods]. My friend - until that point not an ardent royalist - truthfully was overwhelmed. Apparently the Secret Service would prevent ordinary mortals coming within several hundred yards of the President, and anyway, there are almost NIL informal Presidential appearances....

Why don't you look for a cheap flight in May, base yourself at one of the budget hotels near Windsor [there are a good few cheap hotels, as it is close to Heathrow airport] and you can 'do' the Royal Windsor Horse Show [and watch the evening performance of the special Diamond Jubilee Pageant] and also visit London, which can be accessed easily by train......?

Alex

They will perhaps attract attention to whatever events they attending, which I personally don't think will have anything to do with the actual games, more like posing for pictures with the athletes, pre games parties/dinners etc. They'll be, I imagine, very little professional pictures taken of the couple and Harry should they choose to attend any actual events.
Isnt that rather the point of the 27 Ambassadors....to raise awareness and get young people to support Team GB and individual athletes, to create a legacy to encourage future Olympians and ParaOlympians. There are a lot of sports and individual athletes who receive little to no attention even in Olympic years so if William, Catherine and Harry along with the other Ambassadors can assist then I am all for it.

Well I presume there were ambassadors for previous games and the only athletes names I remember are Michael Phelps and Usain Bolt. Less than a year away from the Olympics and the only thing the 'young people' know about the games are that they're here and the various stadiums are behind on building, well at least that's what I know as a young person obviously people in the 'sports know how' will know more. I'm all for promoting the Olympics, but honestly what's most likely going to be talked about when Catherine attends an Olympic event will be her outfit and if she's with child or not.

Well I presume there were ambassadors for previous games and the only athletes names I remember are Michael Phelps and Usain Bolt. .
Not sure that there were British Ambassadors before but perhaps not since the UK hasn't hosted since 1948, but you pretty much prove the need for high profile British Ambassadors to promote Team GB and its athletes since the athletes you name are not British.
Anything to promote participation in sports in the UK (beyond soccer, rugby, cricket) and fitness in general I think should be applauded although I think it should have been implemented at least as early as when London was awarded the games better late than never.

Seems a little "oh we need to give them something to do"...
Therefore they're not actual attracting any real publicity...
It's a lot of money to spend just to see William...
I'm all for promoting the Olympics, but honestly...
...I'm just going to watch it on telly...
Jeez, the overwhelming (and repetitive) negativity makes depressing reading. We had to put up with much the same in the leadup to the Sydney Olympics in 2000. While the naysayers vowed to (and many did) "leave town for the duration", the rest of us enjoyed the most wonderful experience and an atmosphere within the city that was something special and "once in a lifetime".

As to the Royal Family's involvement, I would imagine most members will at some stage be doing their bit to publicise and promote the London Olympics over the next seven or eight months. To get specific with an example of the royal's positive involvement, it has been announced that the Cambridges and Harry "will represent Team GB and Paralympics GB". The British Paralympic Association's chief executive was quoted as saying "we want to use this opportunity to raise the profile of Paralympic sport in this country and ensure that the nation takes British Paralympians to their hearts. We're sure that the presence of their Royal Highnesses will help us achieve this goal and it will give the athletes a tremendous lift to know that they are going to be supporting them." Now, that's being positive.

While it's fine to watch it on telly, I'd suggest you consider venturing outside and at least watch part of the Marathon. You can then say you've participated.

But if you want to be really awed and inspired, get out and loudly cheer on the Paralympian Marathon participants as they go by. Now that's special. Anyone who's witnessed it up close will know exactly what I mean.

While it's fine to watch it on telly, I'd suggest you consider venturing outside and at least watch part of the Marathon. You can then say you've participated.

But if you want to be really awed and inspired, get out and loudly cheer on the Paralympian Marathon participants as they go by. Now that's special. Anyone who's witnessed it up close will know exactly what I mean.

I'll have to take part in a marathon to go see it i'm that far away :lol: But some of the local football stadiums are hosting certain countries teams or hosting matches, I may look into popping to see them.

I think one of the unofficial goals of any Olympic games is to promote the host country, a chance for the nation to shine a spotlight on itself and "show off" what makes it unique. Right about now, IMO, if you asked a thousand people from around the world the first thing that comes to mind when they think of the UK, I would bet a strong majority of them would say either "the Queen" or "Prince William and Kate Middleton." I, personally, would have been surprised if they hadn't found a prominent role for the Duke and Duchess, and I anticipate that they'll both be very visible during the games.

Great that the first Royals to be named as "Ambassadors" for the Team and Olympics are William, Kate and Harry. Perfect for both events. Not only are they young, but w/William and Harry's knowledge and support of the various Veteran sporting events, they're beyond perfect to be Ambassadors for the Paralympics especially.

Can't wait for the Games and to cheer on Team Canada from my living room I'm sad to say. Would love to go to one of the Games one of these days.

As someone who lives in an Olympic city, I can tell you there is much more to the Olympics than the Games themselves.

They are a tremendous way to tap into the spirit of a city. There is also a cultural component to the Games.

I see the young royals cheering on Team UK, thanking volunteers, etc.

As the future King of Australia is he also going to serve as Ambassador for the Australian Olympic team? Is any member of the royal family going to support the other realms or are they all going to support the UK - and then wonder why there are movements in the other realms that see them as irrelevant.

Have any of the other Commonwealth nations teams asked for a member of the Royal Family to be an Ambassador for their team? I would think that would be the first step.

Have any of the other Commonwealth nations teams asked for a member of the Royal Family to be an Ambassador for their team? I would think that would be the first step.

That is irrelevant to my point - that the BRF only supports the UK when they shouldn't be showing favouritism to one realm over another - they shouldn't be taking on these positions for only one realm. Because they can't do this for all realms they should be refusing to do it for one realm.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure the Australian team will manage quite well without having a royal as an Ambassador, but if they want one they can ask as there are still a number of royals available. I dont think anyone in Canada will be offended seeing William, Catherine and Harry cheering on the UK team and encouraging Brits to support the home team at the London Olympics but maybe you Aussies are more sensitive.
Most people realize the reality that it is the British Royal Family, even though the Queen is sovereign of many realms. Other members of the family have no titles specific to these other realms. They are not titled as Princes or Princesses of "other realms and territories" or "of Australia or of Canada" they are of The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Even you refer to them as the British Royal Family, and in the UK we would find it damn odd if they were not supporting the home team.

William is the future King of more than one country and therefore he shouldn't be seen to be supporting only one of his future realms.

This is also the sort of thing that celebrities do but they, and many of their supporters, say that the royals aren't celebrities - but they do things that celebrities do - so they are only rich celebrities.

So happy to hear William Kate and Harry will be ambassadors for the UK. I'm really excited for the lead up to the actual Olympics I remember how exciting it was last time when it was here in my hometown. It'll be great to see all the royals there together supporting the athletes. I kinda wish CBC was covering it here in Canada not CTV since they did such a good job with the royal tour and wedding, they seemed to know their stuff. Last time CTV didn't even show any of the royals.

Maybe its just me but the way I interpreted Wills, Kate and Harry being ambassadors, it seemed to me that they'd be acting on behalf of Team UK in the spirit of them being the hosting team. I didn't take it to mean that the royals are actively backing Team UK in the games but as representatives of the host nation. If they were backing the team, I'd imagine that they'd be called sponsors or patrons. Team UK probably has so much to do as far as training and getting ready for their own personal events that they'd never be asked to take away that focus and have a list of events and whatever else is being planned as far as activities. Basically the ambassadors are acting for the UK team in a hosting capacity. Also, as host to the games, the UK team will be the last team to enter the arena in the opening ceremonies.

Now this is making me wonder if these three young royals will have a special part to play in either the opening and closing ceremonies at the games. One of things I most look forward to in the opening ceremonies is finding out who will light the Olympic flame.

Don't know how probable it could be but it sure would be fitting for HM to light the flame. Would really put a sparkle on a Diamond Jubilee year wouldn't it? :flowers:

ETA: I just did some checking and it seems that the 1908 Olympic games held in London was officially opened by Edward VII. Perhaps HM will open the games and someone else light the flame?

Last edited:
Was this posted?
Richard basically says Wills Kate and Harry will be undertaking events in the lead up to the actual Olympics

RoyalReporter Richard Palmer

Undertaking official engagements supporting the build-up to the Olympics is going to take up quite a bit of Will, Kate and Harry's time.

... it sure would be fitting for HM to light the flame. Would really put a sparkle on a Diamond Jubilee year wouldn't it? :flowers:
ETA: I just did some checking and it seems that the 1908 Olympic games held in London was officially opened by Edward VII. Perhaps HM will open the games and someone else light the flame?
I'd love to see Her Majesty either open the Olympic Games or light the flame. Definitely would be very special, since it's the Diamond Jubilee Year. However, I've read somewhere that Her Majesty didn't want her Jubilee to overshadow the Games, so she'll probably just be present at either Opening or Closing Ceremony.

Didn't know that Edward VII opened the 1908 Games. Thanks for the fact. I love picking up random historical tidbits.

Since the Games are officially opened by each countries Head of State it seems reasonable that QE2 will officially open the London Games but actually lighting the flame seems very unlkely. The President of the IOC usually closes the Games and will invite the worlds athletes to gather again in Rio for the next games.

^She did it in what was it Montreal but for some reason she never did it again, there were rumours that she might do it for Vancouver but she obviously didn't . I've always wondered is there some sort of new rule or something that prevents her? I don't understand why she did it for one Canadian country but not the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom