The British Royal Family & the 2012 London Olympics

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the photo I could almost imagine the DoE saying something along the lines of "Mind if I take this to the end of the driveway?" I can imagine that both the Queen and the DoE are both thrilled to be having the games in London this year.

I actually think the DoE isn't all that into the Olympics. He has been pretty vocal in the past about how much he dislikes the hoopla that is opening and closing ceremonies, and I must say I agree with him. I'm sure he'll be sitting in the royal box at the Olympic Stadium on 27 July thinking it's all a bloody waste of money and effort.

I actually think the DoE isn't all that into the Olympics. He has been pretty vocal in the past about how much he dislikes the hoopla that is opening and closing ceremonies, and I must say I agree with him. I'm sure he'll be sitting in the royal box at the Olympic Stadium on 27 July thinking it's all a bloody waste of money and effort.

Now that you mention it, you're probably right. The DoE isn't much at all for pomp and showy circumstances or any kind of fuss making even when it comes to himself and being molly coddled as they say. He's more of a "just get on with it" kinda guy. :)

I'd love to hear his 'remarks' during the Opening and Closing Ceremonies, because knowing him, they'd pretty priceless.

I am with Philip on this - the Opening and Closing ceremonies are a waste of time and money.

I do suspect though, that again like me, Philip will be into watching the actual events - the real Olympics rather than the showy rubbish stuff that isn't needed.

Agree as well. Don't care for the opening/closing ceremonies either. I don't enjoy them, but I do enjoy the events themselves - especially the swimming and diving!

I am with Philip on this - the Opening and Closing ceremonies are a waste of time and money.

I do suspect though, that again like me, Philip will be into watching the actual events - the real Olympics rather than the showy rubbish stuff that isn't needed.

I agree, I'm sure he appreciates the sport aspect of the Games. He's right about the ceremonies, though. They've become enormous and hugely expensive, and really they've got nothing to do with that the Olympic Games are supposed to be about.

I agree, I'm sure he appreciates the sport aspect of the Games. He's right about the ceremonies, though. They've become enormous and hugely expensive, and really they've got nothing to do with that the Olympic Games are supposed to be about.

We don't actually know what the DoE thinks about the ceremonies do we? Has he spoken publically about this?
I rather like the entry of the athletes of the world and the taking of the Olympic oath at the opening ceremonies.

Not only has Prince Philip spoken publicly about these ceremonies, he's done so in rather uncompromising terms. From 2006:

Prince Philip loathes Olympic Games opening and closing ceremonies and thinks they should be banned.

In an interview with The Daily Telegraph today, he discloses that he detests them so much that he hopes to do "as little as possible" during the London Olympics in 2012, when he will be 91.

"Opening and closing ceremonies ought to be banned. Absolute bloody nuisances," he says. "I have been to one that was absolutely appallingly awful.

"At the Olympics in the old days, when they were more or less amateur, the last event of the whole Games was the show jumping in the main stadium because the horses used to cut up the ground.

"Well, blow me down I was suddenly told, at Munich I think it was, that we couldn't have the main arena for show jumping because it had to be prepared for the 'Closing Ceremony'.

"So, I said: 'What is the Olympics about? The competition or the closing ceremony?' So I am truly fed up with opening and closing ceremonies. They're a pain in the neck".

'Ban awful Olympic opening ceremonies' - Telegraph

Not only has Prince Philip spoken publicly about these ceremonies, he's done so in rather uncompromising terms. From 2006:

'Ban awful Olympic opening ceremonies' - Telegraph

Hate to say, but I'm with His Highness on this issue. The Opening/Closing Ceremonies are a bit much. Recently, they've been more lavish than the ones before. It's quite ridiculous. The Olympics is about watching athletes perform and compete, and not the frou-frou that comes with those ceremonies.

when will we get to know all the activities the royal family will carry out during games time?

when will we get to know all the activities the royal family will carry out during games time?

The Monarch website has a 'Furthcoming Engagements' page although that may only be updated a day or so beforehand.

At the moment it has the following engagement listed

15th July -
Princess Alexandra

will attend a Service to mark the Olympic Games at Westminster Abbey, London, SW1.

16th July -
The Princess Royal

Master, The Corporation of Trinity House, will attend the Quarterly Court Meeting and Luncheon at Trinity House, Trinity Square, London EC3.

17th July
The Earl of Wessex

President, Creative Youth, will attend a performance of 'The Dreaming' at the Rose Theatre, 24-26 High Street, Kingston-upon-Thames, Surrey.

CW.jpg

The Countess of Wessex

will hold a Charities Forum at Bagshot, Surrey.

CW.jpg

The Countess of Wessex

will open the newly rennovated Lightwater Surgery, 39 All Saints Road, Lightwater, Surrey.

PSSR.jpg

The Princess Royal

President, British Olympic Association, will attend a Reception with 1948 Olympians at Team GB House, Westfield, Stratford, London E20.

PSSR.jpg

The Princess Royal

Patron, The Boston Stump Restoration and Development Appeal, will open new Community and Visitor Facilities at St Botolphs Church, Wormgate, Boston, Lincolnshire.

DOG.jpg

The Duke of Gloucester

will open the new Olympic Wing at St John's Church of England School, Buckhurst Hill, Essex.

It does continue past this but this is just for the next couple of days.

However there are often times when something makes it into the CC that isn't on this list and of course, if something happens e.g. an illness, something planned may not take place such as a couple of canceled engagements earlier this year when Philip was taken ill.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/LatestNewsandDiary/Royaldiary/Locationsandtimes.aspx

If you search to the end of the month it is announced that The Queen and Philip and Anne will attend the Opening Ceremony - with The Queen Opening the Games of course. The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester and The Duke of Kent are also listed as attending the opening ceremony. No other royals are listed as attending the opening - but that is because they won't be there officially.

Over later days it has Anne attending the games and the Duchess of Glocuester attending the tennis with the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester also listed as attending the Canoe Slalom.

Last edited:

The Earl of Wessex has attended the Olympic Team Welcome Ceremony at the Athletes' Village at the Olympic Park in London
on July 19, 2012 and has made a tour of the Athletes' Village.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** daylife gallery **

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge next week along with Prince Harry will be awaiting the arrival of the Olympic torch at BP on July 26th. I'm also trying to get confirmation as to whether or not they'll be at the opening ceremonies.

It might depend on work, I doubt it's going to confirmed on the RF website. They might attend 'privately' although not really. ;)

Richard thinks most likely but he's checking with the palaces for confirmation purposes. so I'll let you know if I hear back from him.

A lot of royals attend events that aren't 'work' e.g. Kate and William's attendance at Wimbledon was done privately while the Duke of Kent was 'at work' when he went there because he was there officially.

I expect all of the Queen's children and adult grandchildren to be at the Opening but only The Queen, Philip, Anne, The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester and The Duke of Kent to be listed as attending officially and maybe The Earl and Countess of Wessex.

Why those there offiically? -
1. The Queen and Philip - Head of State and spouse and the opener of the games
2. The Gloucesters and Kent due to positions with Tennis,
3. Anne as a member of the IOC
4. The Wessexes due to Edward's position with the Commonwealth Games.

A lot of local international sports patrons/presidents get invited to the opening in their own country which covers the Gloucesters and Kents as The Duchess of Gloucester is the Honourary President of the LTA, while the Duke of Kent if President of the All England Tennis Club (which is also a venue for the games so I would expect him to attend events there as well). Edward replaces his father as President of the Commonwealth Games Federation. This might then be a possibility as a courtesy only.

Currently Edward and Sophie aren't listed as attending officially but the others are.

I wonder if that is one reason why William, Harry and Kate were announced as Ambassadors to the GB Olympic team.... So that there was an official capacity fo them to attend the games.

Team William, Kate and Harry to lead royal Olympics charge - Telegraph

Team William, Kate and Harry to lead royal Olympics charge

The Royal family will throw their full support behind Team GB for the Olympics, attending events on almost every day of the London 2012 Games.
Royal support for the athletes will be led by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry, who are ambassadors for Team GB, as they cheer on athletes competing in disciplines including swimming, cycling, sailing, hockey, tennis and beach volleyball.

The Duke and Duchess and Prince Harry will be joined by the Princess Royal and the Duchess of Cornwall to support the Queen’s granddaughter, Zara Phillips, who will compete on her horse High Kingdom in the three-day eventing at Greenwich Park. The young royals are also expected to cheer on the British cyclist Mark Cavendish, who is among the favourites to take gold in the men’s cycling road race on Saturday, which begins and finishes by Buckingham Palace on the Mall.

All three will welcome the Olympic Torch relay to Buckingham Palace on Thursday, the day before the Games’s opening ceremony and they will also visit British and Commonwealth athletes and their families in the Olympic “team houses”. A royal aide said: “The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry have been tremendously excited about the Olympics for a long time and want to throw themselves in to the Games and help out as much as they can. “They will be out and about for much of the two weeks, but as well as watching the sports and meeting many of the athletes and visiting dignitaries, they hope to meet a whole cross-section of people, from volunteers to cooks in the Olympic village, who will make the Games a success.”

All senior members of the Royal Family will attend Friday night’s opening ceremony following a Buckingham Palace reception hosted by the Queen for foreign heads of state and government attending the Games.

On Saturday, the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh will tour the Olympic Park. The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall will also attend events during the opening few days of the Games, before heading to Scotland for their annual summer break.

The Olympics are being seen within the Royal household as an opportunity for the young royals to take on more prominent official duties. Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie will also attend several events. A royal aide said: “The Queen and Prince of Wales will be active in the first few days, and then the younger royals will lead the way in taking up the Olympic baton.”

The Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Harry and Princess Anne will make up the royal party attending the Closing Ceremony on August 12.

Last edited by a moderator:

This is an occasion where I think the Duke should have been advised to keep his opinions to himself. It hardly takes much effort (no matter his age) for the man to attend, sit, watch, applaud (or not, in his case?) and leave.

There are alot of people who enjoy contributing their time and effort into such a production. Not only that, it also creates temporary and in some instances long term employment opportunities and helps promote sectorial productivity. He may not have to rely on applying whatever skills he has to earn ends meat for a living, but a vast majority of the community do and an opening and closing ceremony offers an array of highly skilled and qualified people the opportunity to employ their knowledge and skills. He evidently, in his reasoned selfishness, overlooked that fact or just doesn't much care.

He may not (?) gain a sense of pride watching his nation enter the arena but there are hundreds of millions of people around the world who do, and who aren't as fortunate as he to be able to attend, let alone sit in prime position. The opening ceremony is a way for those people to feel involved and is also a celebration for the athletes. For many, a one in a lifetime opportunity to take in the atmospheric jubilation of what is truly the greatest sporting event in the world.

As far as I'm concerned, he's being a grumpy old sod.

Last edited:
I'm with the Duke. I think the opening ceremony is boring and I can't wait til the real events start.

...Currently Edward and Sophie aren't listed as attending officially but the others are.
I think the Wessex's will only be listed at the Paralympic Games officially due to Edward's commitments to it. I would imagine Lady Louise will attend the opening ceremony too. An article in the telegraph states that ALL senior royals are attending after a reception at Buckingham Palace given by the Queen. Who are we considering "senior"? is it just the famous 7 or all the siblings?

I'd guess that the Senior members of the Royal Family are those closest to the monarch (which would indicate all her children and possibly the children of the Heir Apparent), but I could way off. I, personally would love to see the Wessex family attend the Opening Ceremonies. It would be delightful to see Lady Louise at the equestrian events, not just because her cousin is competing, but because she herself loves to ride. I bet she would be thrilled to say that she has a cousin who is an Olympic athlete :D.

UPDATE:

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge & Prince Harry will attend a reception at Buckingham Palace for Heads of State and Government on Friday.

Also we have dates they will attend specific events;

Saturday 28th or Sunday 29th: he Duke of Cambridge will attend the Equestrian Events - Duke will attend EITHER on Saturday or Sunday but not both.

July 29; Prince William will also be at Wembley to watch TeamGB in action in the football

Monday 30th - Prince Harry will attend the 10m Diving (at the Olympic Park).

July 30: Prince William to attend GB House event with brother Harry.

July 31: William Kate and Harry back at the equestrian competition and then on to the Athletes' Village at the Olympic Park

Thursday 2nd Aug - The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will attend the Tennis (at Wimbledon).

NON OLYMPIC EVENT FOR HARRY: August 2: Prince Harry will attend a reception for the School Games a Clarence House while William and Kate see the tennis at Wimbledon.

Friday 3rd Aug - The Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry will attend the Equestrian Dressage (at Greenwich).

Friday 3rd Aug - The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will attend the Swimming (at the Olympic Park).

Sat 4th Aug: The Duchess of Cambridge will attend the Hockey (at the Olympic Park).

Sat 4th Aug - The Duchess of Cambridge will attend the Gymnastics (at the Olympic Park).

Sunday 5th Aug - The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry will attend Athletics (at the Olympic Park). Prior to this Catherine will visit TeamGB House.

Monday 6th August - The Duchess of Cambridge will attend the Sailing (at Weymouth).

Wed Aug 8th - Prince Harry will attend the Beach Volleyball (at Horseguards Parade).

Thurs 9th Aug - The Duchess of Cambridge will attend the Synchronised Swimming (at the Olympic Park).

Thurs 9th Aug - Prince Harry will attend the Athletics (at the Olympic Park).

August 10th: Catherine will join Team GB at Hockey if the team qualifies and August 11th she's to be at the 10m Mens Diving.

The Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry will attend the closing ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic games on 12th August. William is working.

Last edited:
:previous:
The Duchess of Cambridge, along with the Duchess of Cornwall and Princess Anne, will also be present support Zara.

After having just looked at my TV planner i have noticed the opening ceremony does not finish until midnight so that likely counts out Lady Louise attending.

I am looking forward to seeing all the royal support. I would like to think more of the fanily will support Zara. The Queen, Philip and Anne's 3 brothers all watched her compete so i would think most of the family will watch Zara.

After having just looked at my TV planner i have noticed the opening ceremony does not finish until midnight so that likely counts out Lady Louise attending.

I am looking forward to seeing all the royal support. I would like to think more of the fanily will support Zara. The Queen, Philip and Anne's 3 brothers all watched her compete so i would think most of the family will watch Zara.

I would imagine that you're correct, sine the Jubilee Concert finished around 10:30, and Louise wasn't present for that event. I can certainly understand, since she's still a bit on the young side to be staying up until midnight, especially at such a huge event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom