Royals Who Are Attending 2012 London Olympics

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the lack of presence from any spanish royals - bar Queen Sofia at the opening cermony is disappointing. i know the King and Felipe still have some engagements but it would have be nice if the Queen or Letizia could have made appearances during this past week

Yes, I wonder why Letizia didn't appear!

Yes, I wonder why Letizia didn't appear!

i do gather her and felipe are meant to attend the closing cermony - but every country has royals in attendance supporting and spain's are absent. Letizia nor the Queen have engagements this week so i dont see why they couldnt be in London.

Where is Prince Charles and the Duchess, have they been to any other venues?

Every time I see Daniel and Carl Philip attending events, I think "Boys Night Out." All they need is a couple of beers and a game of darts! :ROFLMAO:

The foreign royals do not get media coverage in the UK. We never see them in the news or the papers. They'll get a couple of pages in Hello, but I'll bet that's not exactly William and Harry's preferred reading material.
It should not be from Hello and similar reading material a future king and queen of the U.K. would be able to recognize their future colleagues, there are not that many people in the world who one day will be king, queen or prince consort when William and Catherine are king and queen. The BRF have enough staff to put together a portofolio of all the major members of the other royal families, and to inform what other members of royal families are at the Olympic Games so that William, Catherine and Harry would be able to recognize them when they meet them at the V.I.P. section, as they surely knows that the people they will see there are other V.I.P. guests.

(I would guess that royals as well as politicians have memory notes on (important) people they meet, so that they are able to remember what they have met and what they have talked about when they meet again.)

Last edited:
the lack of presence from any spanish royals - bar Queen Sofia at the opening cermony is disappointing. i know the King and Felipe still have some engagements but it would have be nice if the Queen or Letizia could have made appearances during this past week

Isnt infanta Pilar attending most events? She may be less glamorous than Letizia but she has been an IOC member for decades!

They hardly know each other, I would imagine it is rather uncomfortable for all parties involved that they are supposed to pretend some sort of 'kinship'....kinda like when you have relatives that you've seen twice in your life, it's always awkward.

LaRae

Forget "kinship"...how about a simple smile and a handshake since you ARE representing the host country and these two gentlemen were Royal princes and guests to boot?

I don't buy the excuse that William and Harry didn't recognize their Continental peers, especially not in the case of Carl-Philip of Sweden.

I have seen the photos and I am done making excuses for William and Harry and even Kate-who apparently takes all her cues from William. It was a snub in my opinion, and mind-bogglingly rude. :ermm:

Since I wasn't there and didn't see the whole day/event and all interactions that took place then I am not willing to jump to the conclusion they ignored the other Royals.

LaRae

Love this William and Kate holding hands at the opening ceremony courtesy of CTV
Let's set the world on fire, William and Kate holding hands at the Opening...

So tomorrow we have the Duchess of Cambridge heading down to watch Team GB compete in field hockey at 4:00pm BST/8:00am PST and 11:00 am EST
I believe BBC3 will be airing it and I imagine usagoals.com will be streaming it.

Ok here's the Channel 9 interview video with William and Harry
A Royal Love Affair

And here's the video of William and Kate at Team GB house
A Royal Love Affair

Last edited by a moderator:
William and Harry snubbing? I cannot see why they´d do that! Is it probable they had met the Swedish and had greeted before?

I´d like to mention sth. that happened these days in a volleyball match, Netherlands-Argentina. I saw some pics of Maxima celebrating. I am not entirely sure the pics were taken when the match had already finished, in which case I find it very rude and bad taste from her. I don´t have any problem if she celebrates Dutch victories, but I think you may keep composure at least, if the team of the country where you were born is eliminated.

Unfortunately, BBC quickly takes down those videos (for copyright reasons).
Yes this what I realize because on YouTube all links tell this. :ermm: Thanks for help Artemisia! :flowers:

i do gather her and felipe are meant to attend the closing cermony - but every country has royals in attendance supporting and spain's are absent. Letizia nor the Queen have engagements this week so i dont see why they couldnt be in London.
I think exactly the same.. She could appear with leonor and sofia

Does anyone know a video of William hugging Kate?

Richard Palmer@RoyalReporter
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will go to the athletics at the Olympic Park tonight. No Olympic duties for Prince Harry.

I guess that since the economical situation in Spain is so bad, the spanish royals find it better to stay in Spain. If they would have been two weeks in London, many would have seen it as a luxury holiday abroad, paid by the spaniards. Since Felipe and Letizia spent many days in Beijing, I would guess that this change depends on the different economical situation in Spain.
The spanish athletes know that their royal family supports them, the royal family met the team of Spain before the Olympics in Spain.

Last edited:
Isnt infanta Pilar attending most events? She may be less glamorous than Letizia but she has been an IOC member for decades!

Infanta Pilar and her daughter are there but their members of the extended Borbón family and not officially representing Spain.There was no way that Infanta Cristina could be sent and her sister Elena is on holidays in Mallorca with her children and the queen.

Its very odd that there was practically no Spanish Royal presence at the games except for Queen Sofia and her sister in law.

I guess that since the economical situation in Spain is so bad, the spanish royals find it better to stay in Spain. If they would have been two weeks in London, many would have seen it as a luxury holiday abroad, paid by the spaniards. Since Felipe and Letizia spent many days in Beijing, I would guess that this change depends on the different economical situation in Spain.
The spanish athletes know that their royal family supports them, the royal family met the team of Spain before the Olympics in Spain.

That's true too,but Letizia or Elena could have attended at least one day each.

Infanta Pilar of Spain, Duchess of Badajoz at the Olympic Games with her daughter, Doña Simoneta Gómez-Acebo.

http://img247.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=34536_Newscom_efephotos169122_122_180lo.jpg

http://img256.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=15078_Newscom_sipaphotosthree681304_122_166lo.jpg

Anyone know if William and Kate are watching Serena and Maria play?

LaRae

Pranter said:
Anyone know if William and Kate are watching Serena and Maria play?

LaRae

They're at athletics today and AFAIK that's all.

Actually they're attending the athletics this evening, so we won't see them until later. They might be going to watch Mo.

Princess Beatrice of York watched the athletics on Day 8 of the London 2012 Olympic Games at Olympic Stadium on August 4, 2012 in London, England.
- Beatrice 1
- Beatrice 2

it is very good for morale when your country wins, it perks people up during an economic crisis, their being there, supporting the spanish atheletes would be I think an expense Spain would not object t0

Princess Anne and Tim Laurence are in the velodrome watching the omnium.

Princess Benedikte was in the Danish open house today! I took a picture of her for you as I happened to be there at that point. She looked very happy and was all smiles to everyone. She was interviewed I guess by the Danish tv. Enjoy!

Attachments

• image-408396522.jpg
    image-408396522.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 258
Back
Top Bottom