Events and Athletes Discussion 2012 London Olympics

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The most beautiful work I seen by Bradley. :flowers:

he has work so hard and its payed off aaaarrrrggghh he got gold

Michael Jamieson completes a highly successful day for Team GB, winning a silver in 200m breaststroke. :clap:
In absence of medals from Armenia (so far) and a somewhat disappointing performance from Russians (again, so far), I've decided to cheer Team GB. :)

The Badminton appeals have been rejected. Don't know yet if they will be allowed to continue in singles and mixed doubles events, or if the IOC will now step in and just remove them entirely from the Olympics.

It seems to me that they should be removed entirely.

I think there are a lot of people who just don't trust the Chinese government and their desire to win.

I read today that the Chinese government is ONLY congratulating its gold medal winners--and no one else. It says a lot about them. Actually, the rest of the article is quite interesting, too.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympi...m-chinese-diver-until-she-won-gold-medal.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations to Team GB on such fabulous performance in the Games, especially the first gold in rowing. Well done.

I think there are a lot of people who just don't trust the Chinese government and their desire to win.

I read today that the Chinese government is ONLY congratulating its gold medal winners--and no one else. It says a lot about them. Actually, the rest of the article is quite interesting, too.

Family kept grandparents' deaths secret from Chinese diver until she won gold medal - Yahoo! Sports
I'm going to put it a different way; if Ye had been American, no one would utter a word. And besides, she's 16. Teenage bodies are capable of great changes and improvement. She's been tested for doping, there wasn't found anything, so case closed. That girl is a great swimmer who swam faster than all those other world class swimmers. I feel for her in this.

Let me quote Ian Thorpe.
"You know, when I was 15-year-old I swam 3:46 to win the World Championships. The following year as a 16-year-old, I broke the world record in 3:41. That's a five-second drop off."

I'm going to put it a different way; if Ye had been American, no one would utter a word. And besides, she's 16. Teenage bodies are capable of great changes and improvement. She's been tested for doping, there wasn't found anything, so case closed. That girl is a great swimmer who swam faster than all those other world class swimmers. I feel for her in this.

Let me quote Ian Thorpe.

I am not sure I agree with your comment about an American would not be questioned. In this day and age we are not so willing to accept such a performance in sport from anyone without questioning it. I seem to remember an Irish swimmer who posted amazing results at a previous Olympics, people questioned those results but she said she was clean and was later found to have been doping. The Chinese swim team has a history of "performance enhancing" so questions were bound to arise. Since test samples are retained for a number of years we will no doubt find out if something is amiss. Until then she remains an Olympic champion and her records will stand.

I agree with you. Still haven't found a report that clearly explains if they have been booted from the Olympics or just disqualified from the womens doubles event.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure I agree with your comment about an American would not be questioned. In this day and age we are not so willing to accept such a performance in sport from anyone without questioning it. I seem to remember an Irish swimmer who posted amazing results at a previous Olympics, people questioned those results but she said she was clean and was later found to have been doping. The Chinese swim team has a history of "performance enhancing" so questions were bound to arise. Since test samples are retained for a number of years we will no doubt find out if something is amiss. Until then she remains an Olympic champion and her records will stand.
For leverance, Missy Franklin is 17 and Ruta Meilutyte is 15. Ruta won gold, broke a record. Missy won gold and broke her own national record.
And like Ian Thorpe said; teenage bodies are capable of great changes and achievements.

There's been more than one American athlete that has been accused outright of doping or hints have been made suggesting it's a possibility.

LaRae

Let me quote Ian Thorpe.

I have to disagree. The U.S. has had people suggesting the possibility of doping.

IA with Ian Thorpe. It's possible she did this on her own. But, I'm not surprised people are questioning it. In this day and age, I'd be surprised if they didn't.

My main point, though, is that I think China brings on some of this scrutinty themselves.

They should be removed from the London games entirely and not be eligible to compete in future Olympic games. If blatant cheating doesn't get you kicked out for good then what will?

The thing about the Chinese swimmer is that the Chinese have doped before and been caught. So it's only natural when they have a swimmer suddenly shaving huge amounts off her personal best, to think "oh, they've found a new way to beat the doping tests". Why doesn't the same thing happen when a US or Aussie swimmer accomplishes the same feat? Well, frankly, neither of those countries have a history of doping like the Chinese or the East Germans back in the 70s & 80s.

Beyond that, the Chinese have, as in this new incident with the badminton teams illustrates, seem to have a "win at all costs" mentality that rubs the wrong way the people who do play fair and don't 1) dope, 2) throw matches, 3) fake birth certificates, and 4) any other form of cheating.

I grew up watching the Olympics during the tail end of the Cold War. I don't think, with the exception of the East German women's swimming program, there were any stronger allegations against the Soviets or any other satellite nations cheating than there were about any western nations. It was always horrifying no matter where the athlete came from (Ben Johnson, anyone?). The Chinese, on the other hand, seem to have a been on the receiving end of a lot of allegations, of a lot of different forms of cheating, and so, again, it's only natural, in my opinion, to wonder, with Ye Shiwen, if there is some doping going on. Fair or not, the Chinese have brought this on themselves.

And to further illustrate my point... Anyone watching the Women's Gymnastics should take a close look at pictures of He Kexin this year compared to Beijing. Wanna try and fly the idea that she wasn't underage 4 years ago and using faked birth documentation? Please. I've got some oceanfront property in Arizona I'd like to sell you if you still buy those particular lies.

Last edited:
Can you exclude a country for numerous cheating scandals?
I admit I love watching the Chinese and other Asian countries because they show what hard work and endless dedication can get you. But there is a difference between endless work and dedication that other countries can't compete with, and just outright cheating.

I highly doubt Ye is cheating though. Like I said before, it's not the first time a teenager shows huge improvement in just a few months. It's very much possible.

I thought id show you some pictures of what the olympic park looks like! Here's various shots of the park, the volley arena and the team gb vs Russia womens basketball yesterday and team gb vs Australia mens volleyball 2 days ago looked like ! And of course an up and close picture of the orbit. Enjoy!

And congrats to the rowing ladies and Bradley wiggins who won gold for team gb! So proud of them!

Attachments

• image-2557198280.jpg
    image-2557198280.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 186
  • image-2007342170.jpg
    image-2007342170.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 262
  • image-4059887714.jpg
    image-4059887714.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 235
  • image-2753339034.jpg
    image-2753339034.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 181
  • image-524521841.jpg
    image-524521841.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 258
  • image-80798003.jpg
    image-80798003.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 213
  • image-2870551121.jpg
    image-2870551121.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 184
  • image-868473574.jpg
    image-868473574.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 231
There's a guy who is constantly on the BBC think he's called Ian Thorpe he's a swimmer and when this came out, he said that within a few months he'd gone from swimming a 1:46 to a 1:41. The Chinese swimmer hasn't tested positive for any drugs, so what is the issue?

As for the badminton issue that was a flaw in the organisation of the tournament itself, they never actually broke any IOC rules they were thrown out for 'playing the game'.

Lovely pictures, thank you carlota! :flowers:

But my, I really dislike the ArcelorMittal Orbit; surely something more pleasant for eyes could have been constructed?
Hell, I wouldn't mind re-creation of the infamous Skylon Tower; that one, at least, had an intrigue to it (no visible means of support) and clean forms.

There's a guy who is constantly on the BBC think he's called Ian Thorpe he's a swimmer and when this came out, he said that within a few months he'd gone from swimming a 1:46 to a 1:41. The Chinese swimmer hasn't tested positive for any drugs, so what is the issue?

As for the badminton issue that was a flaw in the organisation of the tournament itself, they never actually broke any IOC rules they were thrown out for 'playing the game'.
That's right, I qouted Ian on the previous page. He dropped 5 seconds within a year as a teen.
And if I'm correct, the Chinese OC has been very anti-doping and extremely strict on their athletes.

Great! Congratulations to Peter Wilson! :clap:
More happy news for Team GB: gold and silver in canoeing after Tim Baillie and Etienne Stott won Olympic C2 canoe slalom gold ahead of countrymen David Florence and Richard Hounslow.

Really good day for Team GB - and it's not over yet. :)

Last edited:
Great! Congratulations to Peter Wilson! :clap:

Princess Anne and her husband were watching, good for GB. Daniel and Carl Philip were also there. Silver for swedish Håkan Dahlby, who was the best man in the final.

Another medal for Team GB: Gemma Gibbons just won silver in women's 78kg Judo.
Kayla Harrison of the United States won gold.

Frankly, trying to loose period is cheating( eventhough you are trying to loose). Hence, by loosing they would get better spots in up coming matches. Throwing a game(s) is cheating. What is next for the Olympics. Throwing games in order to get paid and to play the games fair is square is an oath that they take fixing their matches is Cheating. They should be banned PERIOD from all of these types of tourments.

They were warned many times and continued to do this. They had their chance. What gets me is that not only 1 team was doing this but, 4 teams. This is wright up there with STERIOD USE to most.

Congradulations to the Gabby( THE FLYING SQUIREL) US Gold Medal All Around Medalist
Heart-HugsKissesLg.gif

Women's gymnastics :spoiler alert:

Gabby Douglas takes home gold!! Ali Raisman got shut out of medals on a tie-breaker.

Congratulations to Gabby!!!

I'm so happy for Gabby. Not only is she an excellent gymnast (obviously), but she has such a wonderful spirit about her.

That's right, I qouted Ian on the previous page. He dropped 5 seconds within a year as a teen.

yes, former swimming great Francisca van Almsick mentioned the same thing (she's an expert-commentator on german tv); she won her first olympic medals at age 14 and seriously improved her times at that age..

Back
Top Bottom