Events and Athletes Discussion 2012 London Olympics

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Warren

Administrator in Memoriam
City
Sydney
Country
Australia
LondonOlympicslogos.jpg

Events and Athletes
discussion thread

LondonOlympicslogos.jpg

Last edited:
First doging case, Albanian weightlifter Hysen Pulaku became the first athlete to be ejected from the Olympics after testing positive for an anabolic steroid.
Albanian Pulaku becomes first doping cheat | Reuters

A big disappointment for the british team in Cycling/Men's road, no medals for Wiggins or Cavendish. The gold medalist is Alexandre Vinokurov, Kazakhstan.

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched about 90 percent of the cycling....surprised about the Brits losing, wonder what happened.

LaRae

Am so glad to see that Phelps dodges the super stupid and embarassing questions the reporters continually ask him

I think he'd be smarter to just avoid them altogether....of course they'd probably freak out and pursue him even further because he has no right to privacy from their viewpoint.

LaRae

..surprised about the Brits losing, wonder what happened.
The peleton (which included Wiggins and Cavendish) let the breakaway get too far in front. The Australian TV commentators were repeatedly saying they had left it too late when they were still 18 kms out from the finish line and had become agitated about the breakaway's advantage some time before that.

I think he'd be smarter to just avoid them altogether....of course they'd probably freak out and pursue him even further because he has no right to privacy from their viewpoint.

LaRae
He can't avoid them. He's already roundly criticized for being aloof. His teammates routinely "box him in" if he is going anywhere in public to protect him.

A big disappointment for the british team in Cycling/Men's road, no medals for Wiggins or Cavendish. The gold medalist is Alexandre Vinokurov, Kazakhstan.
It is nice to see Mr.Vinokirov winning a gold medal.

Yes indeed, Alexander Vinokurov thoroughly deserved his gold medal. :star:

I am very pleased of the German rowing team and very surprised by the German swimming team.

The peleton (which included Wiggins and Cavendish) let the breakaway get too far in front. The Australian TV commentators were repeatedly saying they had left it too late when they were still 18 kms out from the finish line and had become agitated about the breakaway's advantage some time before that.

I wondered about that early on hours before, there was such a gap between the group of front riders and the big group but the commentators here kept talking like it was no big deal. I wonder did they underestimate that 9 times around section...might of been more taxing than they thought.

LaRae

He can't avoid them. He's already roundly criticized for being aloof. His teammates routinely "box him in" if he is going anywhere in public to protect him.

The media is impossible to please.

LaRae

I was happy that unexpected athletes won the cycling competition!Especially keeping in mind that Vinokurow is already 38 years old it was a fantastic performance,he really deserves the medal.It seems as if the other teams slightly underestimated the difficulty and length of the route.

I missed most of the early competitions because of work, but when I got home, I saw highlights of cycling. Well done to Denmark's Jakob Fuglsang for all his hard work in the race.
Denmark's Women Handball team won against Sweden. HM Queen Margrethe PC Henrik & Princess Benedikte was spectators :)
CP Frederik & CP Mary were watching swimming and saw Denmark's Jeanette Ottesen Gray reached 3rd place in her heat and advancing to the semifinal. :D

Before the race, Cavendish bragged that if the gap was less than 3 minutes, he'd have "no problem" closing it up - that's not what happened. Now, after the race, the British team is blaming other teams for attempting to block them (Germans in particular). I think that many of the teams have gotten too dependent on radios (which were not allowed) and have forgotten how to do on-the-road strategizing.

Sitting at home, we could all see how strong the leaders were and how big the gap, but Cavendish not only didn't make his chase, he came in 29th. Not even close.

An American, Taylor Phinney somewhat unexpectedly missed on the Bronze (fourth place).

What a swim from Ryan Lochte! He won Michael Phelps with over 4 seconds.

It is an odd and rude statement to make every time Kazakstani sporstmen/women win. Perhaps it is the so called English humour I fail to understand.
I thought it was an insensitive remark when I read it. I don't think anyone likes to have their country "spoofed", or the butt of jokes.

What a swim from Ryan Lochte! He won Michael Phelps with over 4 seconds.

I love watching these two swim against each other. Actually, I think that Lochte is going to come out quite well for Team USA in swimming. I really would love to see Phelps win a gold and create a milestone in Olympic medal wins.

From what I've read, this will be Phelps' last Olympic appearance.

Have the Brits medalled on Day 1? NBC isn't giving me tallies.

Thanks for the update - I did find the tallies, eventually. China is in first place, Italy in second (with two golds, five total medals), U.S. in third (1 gold, five total medals).

It is an odd and rude statement to make every time Kazakstani sporstmen/women win. Perhaps it is the so called English humour I fail to understand.

I don't think it's English humor, Americans like to make that silly joke too. I too am tired of that - and all of the other references Matt Lauer and Ms. Veira pulled out last night on the American broadcast of the Opening Ceremony.

All posts about Zara competing have been moved to the
Royals Who Are Competing
Thread

Russia won its first medal yesterday, when Arsen Gevorgyan won gold in -60kg judo.
And the reason I'm writing this is because a) I'm part Russian, so YEAAH!!! and b) because the winner is, in fact, Armenian.
The winner is judoist Arsen Galstyan who was born and raised in Armenia, but moved to Russia later on. It is incidentally the first-ever medal Russia has won in judo.

Despite judo being one of Armenia's strongholds (plenty of European and World medals), we have never won Olympic gold either.

Anyway, congratulations Russia (and Armenia too). Great job, Arsen! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Last edited:
Congratulations !!! :flowers::flowers::flowers: Armenia was/is known for training excellent wrestlers and judo fighters.

Back
Top Bottom