Events and Athletes Discussion 2012 London Olympics

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am surprised to learn that Kazakhstan is ahead of Russia.

Last edited:
I know the rules behind why Kazakhstan is ahead of Russia I'm just not sure it makes a lot of sense. Yes gold should count for more but not so much that 5 gold medals outweigh 28 GSB medals. But what do I know, I don't even know what road cycling is or that track and field started this week not next week.

Watching synchronizing diving. Just learned about this one. I'm wondering about this sport; it's pretty but is it really a....nm I won't say it. Anyway China took that gold. America s took bronze I think. China took every gold in this category since 2000!

I'm sure Russia will win a good haul of medals in the track and field events which should bring them well up the medal list.

Seems like a nice afternoon for the Sailing at Plymouth.

Shocked that the German tean did not qualify for showjumping final. No one expected that.

Surprising indeed. Everyone considers Germany as the No. 1 Equestrian country. I'm glad they didn't place. After them buying Totilas and completely ruin the greatest dressage horse ever, they can suck it.

And good bussiness for the Netherlands once again. Dorian van Rijsselberge is already secure of gold.

Congratulations to Zara Phillips for medalling in the team 3 day eventing competition. Is she not competing in the individual dressage, show jumping etc? I've tried to catch the equestrian competition and haven't seen any mention of her competing beyond the 3 day.

^Nope. Eventing is an individual event. So is show jumping and dressage.

3 Day eventing is a separate competition that combines dressage, crosscountry and showjumping. Zara finished her Olympics when eventing was over.
The dressage and showjumping are separate team and individual competitions unrelated to 3 day eventing and with totally different riders and horses. You will notice is the team/individual showjumping competition that there are more and larger jumps than the eventing horses have in their competition.

Congratulations to Team GB with another successful day. Way to go, Murray, although sorry for the doubles.

Anyway, we (Armenia) FINALLY won a medal. :clap:
It's a bronze, but who cares? Hripsime Khurshudyan won bronze in Women's 75kg weightlifting.
She's such a wee young woman (for a weightlifter) and I always wonder how the hell she manages to do weightlifting at all, let alone win medals.

HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY! :D

Silver in the 400m final for Christine Ohuruogu.

Armenia won a silver in Men's 74kg Greco-Roman.
Congratulations to Arsen! :clap: :clap: :clap:

We were really, really close to winning a gold, just a couple more seconds... Still, silver is great too.
It means we have now surpassed our Beijing achievement (back then, we won 6 bronze medals, but not gold or silver).

Two medals in a day... Not bad, not bad at all. :D
Armenia is one of the strongest countries in Greco-Roman, so hopefully, there'll be more medals.

Last edited:
The Kenyan who's just won the steeplechase apparently has a court case back at home for stabbing someone? Really?!

And the 100m gold medalist is.....USAIN BOLT!!

Blake gets silver.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done, Armenia and Great Britain!
Thank you. Of course, our achievement is nowhere nearly as impressive as Britain's, but for a country of 3 million, it's not too bad either. :)

The Kenyan who's just won the steeplechase apparently has a court case back at home for stabbing someone? Really?!
And they (Kenyan Olympic Federation) allowed him to participate? :eek:
I mean, OK, innocent until proven guilty, but surely such a serious crime should be enough to exclude a person from the team?
Unless it was a self-defence, in which case I might probably understand the reasoning (not his fault, so why should he pay the price?).

Last edited:
Hurrah, he did it again. 9:64 a new Olympic record. Party in Jamaica!!!

And the 100m gold medalist is.....USAIN BOLT!!

Now, there is a surprise! ;)
Well-deserved; I wonder if Usain has already been congratulated by his "buddy", Prince Harry. He'll surely be congratulated by the Queen though.

A hilarious twit from "Prince Charles"
@Charles_HRH Considering replacing Royal Mail with Usain Bolt.

Last edited:
At least he didn't false start ;)

50th anniversary of Jamaican independence tomorrow, what a way to celebrate!

Last edited:
I really hate the posturing and the arrogance of Bolt and his 100m opponents. A great achievement by Bolt without question, but the 100m has become such a circus.

How can a tiny island like Jamaica produce so many really top class sprinters, both male and female?

What else do they have there besides soccer and track...not much I don't think.

LaRae

How can a tiny island like Jamaica produce so many really top class sprinters, both male and female?
There is an emphasis on track and field events in the Jamaican public school system, and it is highly competitive. They have major competitions between their schools that coaches from American universities come to watch to recruit students. It is seen as a way out of poverty.

Usain Bolt earns 80% of all of the sponsorship money awarded to track and field athletes in the world. Sport has made him a millionaire many times over. Fortunately he believes in giving back, funding a medical clinic in his home town and having his sponsor give free shoes to the kids in schools so they have the proper footwear in run in.

I don't think he is arrogant. He is a bit of a showman but I think he does it with humour and always seem quite approachable and friendly.

Last edited:
Armenia won a silver in Men's 74kg Greco-Roman.
Congratulations to Arsen! :clap: :clap: :clap:

We were really, really close to winning a gold, just a couple more seconds... Still, silver is great too.
It means we have now surpassed our Beijing achievement (back then, we won 6 bronze medals, but not gold or silver).

Two medals in a day... Not bad, not bad at all. :D
Armenia is one of the strongest countries in Greco-Roman, so hopefully, there'll be more medals.

Congratulations to Armenian sportsmen/women!:flowers::flowers::flowers:

Spletnik.ru --- Olympic Games 2012: Tennis, swimming, and collapse

Last edited:
Second gold medal for Denmark! Quite unexpectedly it didn't come from either our badminton boys or Jonas Høgh Christensen (who all won silver), but from our track cyclist Lasse Norman Hansen. Another brilliant day for us and we've actually reached the initial goal of eight medals, it's gonna be exciting to see if we can actually get more.

Bolt was amazing i didn't see who can take this medal from him anyway:)
so so sorry for Federrer it may be his last chance for Olympic medal on the other hand i am so happy for Murray he finally won something big...well done.

Bolt was amazing i didn't see who can take this medal from him anyway:)
so so sorry for Federrer it may be his last chance for Olympic medal on the other hand i am so happy for Murray he finally won something big...well done.

I am sure Fed will get over it, disappointed as he may be at the moment. He does after all have a fistfull of Grand Slam titles to go with his Olympic mens singles silver and his Olympic mens doubles gold medals.

:previous:
he said tonight he is not sad and so happy with the silver:)
there is that impression that he didn't do anything to deserve this gold medal this time if you ask me Murray rocks:lol:

Back
Top Bottom