Events and Athletes Discussion 2012 London Olympics

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hoorray for Sylwia Bogacka, Polish winner of silver medal in Women's 10 m air rifle!

And the Dutch have won a Gold medal today. :boxing: Marianne Vos won cycling.

PrincessKaimi said:
Before the race, Cavendish bragged that if the gap was less than 3 minutes, he'd have "no problem" closing it up - that's not what happened. Now, after the race, the British team is blaming other teams for attempting to block them (Germans in particular). I think that many of the teams have gotten too dependent on radios (which were not allowed) and have forgotten how to do on-the-road strategizing.

Sitting at home, we could all see how strong the leaders were and how big the gap, but Cavendish not only didn't make his chase, he came in 29th. Not even close.

An American, Taylor Phinney somewhat unexpectedly missed on the Bronze (fourth place).

He was ready to make a chase but the plan was to stick as a team .........

Warren said:
The peleton (which included Wiggins and Cavendish) let the breakaway get too far in front. The Australian TV commentators were repeatedly saying they had left it too late when they were still 18 kms out from the finish line and had become agitated about the breakaway's advantage some time before that.

In Olympic road cycling they are not allowed to know the timings of the break ...and no radios

Last edited by a moderator:
In Olympic road cycling they are not allowed to know the timings of the break ...and no radios

They showed the time difference between the leaders and the peloton to the competitors at least today in women's race.

Becca Adlington just won bronze for GB, two medals on day two do I see a pattern? ;)

Great Britain has won 2 medals. Silver in women's cycling to Lizzie Armistead and bronze in swimming.

I'm sure someone will discover foul play if it exists.

Last edited:
Watching the equestrian events and I just LOVE the course it's so cute.

GBR Diving came fourth after a terrible 3rd dive.

Last edited:
Australia down by 3 against France in the women's basketball, with mere seconds to go. France misses their second foul, Australia on the offensive - Snell scores a massive three-pointer from over half way to tie the score!!!

Game has gone into overtime.

Spain is out from Football competition :eek:
Morocco have to win Spain and hope Japan win Honduras to see them self in next round:sad:

Gymnastics Men's Team Final - GREAT BRITAIN GETS BRONZE!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Could have been a silver but still, congratulations! :clap:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Britain hasn't won a medal in gymnastics for some time, has it?

Last edited:
Artemisia said:
Could have been a silver but still, congratulations! :clap:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Britain hasn't won a medal in gymnastics for some time, has it?

They haven't won't this event since 1902. Waiting for the Chinese to realise their medals are chocolate.

Last edited:
They haven't won't this event since 1902. Waiting for the Chinese to realise their medals are chocolate.
Thanks! It makes this achievement all the more impressive. :flowers:
Didn't get the Chinese part though: could you explain? :)

Artemisia said:
Thanks! It makes this achievement all the more impressive. :flowers:
Didn't get the Chinese part though: could you explain? :)

Haha. It's usually known that Olympic athletes bite their medals either to make sure they are real and not made of chocolate. The Chinese kept biting their medals when they were presented with them so I was waiting for them to realise they're made of chocolate ;)

Haha. It's usually known that Olympic athletes bite their medals either to make sure they are real and not made of chocolate. The Chinese kept biting their medals when they were presented with them so I was waiting for them to realise they're made of chocolate ;)
Thanks! I thought there were given some sort of consolation prize in form of chocolate medals. :D

French Yannick Agnel wins 200M Freestyle by miles!

Missy Franklin who has just competed in a semi final just won the 100m backstroke.

Last edited:
I need an Aussie's help here.

Why are the Aussie uniforms green and yellow?

Chocolate is, always, a good prize.

Gymnastics Men's Team Final - GREAT BRITAIN GETS BRONZE!!!!!!!!

Congratulations :britflag:! Well done. I remember when USSR was dominating this sport, and am so glad to see other countries on the podium.

Duchess of Durham said:
I need an Aussie's help here.

Why are the Aussie uniforms green and yellow?

Green and gold are the national colours of Australia, despite not being in our flag (similar to the Netherlands and their orange). It is believed that the colours come from the wattle.

The Australian women's basketball lost against France in overtime by 4 or 5.

NGalitzine said:
A young man has been arrested for malicious tweets against diver Tom Daley. The tweets started off as just nasty and mean "I hope you know you let down your father". Tom's father died of cancer in 2011. Then the tweets progressed to " I am going to find you and drown you in the pool". Malicious and threatening tweets can lead to prosecution in the UK.
Man arrested in connection to Twitter insults against British diver Daley - The Globe and Mail

What the crap is wrong with people?

Green and gold are the national colours of Australia, despite not being in our flag (similar to the Netherlands and their orange). It is believed that the colours come from the wattle.

The Australian women's basketball lost against France in overtime by 4 or 5.

Thank you, JessRulz.

What is the wattle?

Duchess of Durham said:
Thank you, JessRulz.

What is the wattle?

I think it's the golden wattle, which is a tree.

Back
Top Bottom