Events and Athletes Discussion 2012 London Olympics

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
EIIR said:
First of all, I think you'll find that 'England' is not competing in the Olympic Games. .

No but English athletes are. Even at the games there's a separation between countries in team GB, I saw loads of Scottish flags when Murray played his final.
Also look at the Yorkshire reporter who started the craze of if Yorkshire was a country it would be higher in the medal table than Australia or South Korea, that's splitting Team GB down to the county level.

As for 'my team is better than your team' well yes that's not what the Olympics is supposed to be about but it shows you in plain site which countries are better at curtains sports than others, that can't be helped. I believe China takes the Olympics and this battle quite seriously, I've read severely articles about bronze and silver medallists from previous games who no longer have jobs and beg for food on the streets because they didn't do good enough.

Last edited:
I have to say its a bit ricidulous that at the Olymics its all about being "british" (what of course guarantees a higher standing in the medal ranks) but in all other events its fiercly "english", wishing the "scottish" or the "welsh" or the "northern irish" all the worst or calling them all sorts of names (football, rugby etc).

Can we imagine a british football team at the world championship? Never. Of course, it meant to lose three votes at UEFA or FIFA. At the end, "Team GB" all about money or politics.

EIIR said:
First of all, I think you'll find that 'England' is not competing in the Olympic Games. Second, you do also realise that Prince Charles isn't on Twitter? The account that people talk about is a parody, totally fake.

I didn't say that YOU see this as a pissing contest. All over the internet, and on US TV, there's so much angst over whether the US can finish above China in the medal table. The BBC News just ran a report about the obsession in the US in finishing above China. That seems to be the most important thing for most of the American media. You also have posted about whether the US is beating China multiple times.

I have no issue with people enjoying the success of their teams. What I do object to, is using the Olympic Games as some sort of barometer for which country is 'the best'. That is entirely contrary to what the Olympics is all about. The Games are not a competition between nations; it's a competition between athletes. It is becoming a nationalistic 'my country is better than your team' chest-thumping joke.

I fail to see what my opinion of Charlene Wittstock has to do with the Olympic Games.

England, Britain, London I really don't care. And if you have a problem with the American media being obsessed with winning over China don't take it on me, I am not the freakin American media. I am one person who is spending less than 1% of her daily life on the Olympics. I don't appreciate you taking your frustration with an organization out on me. Again dont assume things about me and put your own bias on me.
Yes I have posted multiple time about who is in first the US or China, I have also posted Korea, Japan, Russia and Armenia.
And I wonder if you are going to complain about 90% of the posts in this thread updating and congratulating England....oh excuse me....Great Britain on the medals they have won.

Lumutqueen said:
I've read severely articles about bronze and silver medallists from previous games who no longer have jobs and beg for food on the streets because they didn't do good enough.

Really! That's so horrible. The only thing I've heard about is China's training routine which starts when the athletes are young and the the Chinese Govt is only congratulating the athletes who win a gold medal, not a bronze or a silver.

XeniaCasaraghi said:
Really! That's so horrible. The only thing I've heard about is China's training routine which starts when the athletes are young and the the Chinese Govt is only congratulating the athletes who win a gold medal, not a bronze or a silver.

Have you seen the picture about the gymnastic 'training'?, that's even worse. I'll try find the story I was reading.

I don't see why it's childish to like winning, everyone likes winning. Look at how GB is screaming from the rooftops every time we get a gold. It's a nice feeling to be proud of the athletes from your country for winning these medals. You are making it out to be a 'pissing match' which isn't true.

Look at the Armenian who said he's pay 60,000 or something like that for every gold one. Look at how people react when they are destined to win gold and don't. It matters. It might be superficial but it matters and it would matter to me if I knew I could win gold and I failed.

I'm excited that the GB is third in the medal table? Does that make me a bad person?

Just one clarification: it's $600,000, not 60,000 (the money promised for every gold medal). ;)
Hell, if we win a gold, every Armenian will probably gladly contribute with additional $$$.

Now, I happen to strongly believe that it's the participation, and not victory, that matters. However, no one can deny the importance of actually being in Top 3, and as for winning... Someone once said there is no place bitter than the second one; you win a silver, but the thought of just how close you were to gold will always haunt.

Have you seen the picture about the gymnastic 'training'?, that's even worse. I'll try find the story I was reading.
Here is an article on that: Torture or training? Inside the brutal Chinese gymnasium where the country's future Olympic stars are beaten into shape

I have to say this though; I went to gymnastics (in Russia) as a child as well, and my training was not much better than the Chinese one, horrible as it may sound. Until I was 11 and broke my left leg in three places (in skying accident), I was considering gymnastics seriously. That meant at least 6 to 8 hours of training every day (along with school and extra0urriculum activities) and stretching muscles I didn't even know exist to extreme. Crying from pain was an ordinary experience, but as my trainers said, no pain - no gain.

First of all, I think you'll find that 'England' is not competing in the Olympic Games. Second, you do also realise that Prince Charles isn't on Twitter? The account that people talk about is a parody, totally fake.

I didn't say that YOU see this as a pissing contest. All over the internet, and on US TV, there's so much angst over whether the US can finish above China in the medal table. The BBC News just ran a report about the obsession in the US in finishing above China. That seems to be the most important thing for most of the American media. You also have posted about whether the US is beating China multiple times.

I have no issue with people enjoying the success of their teams. What I do object to, is using the Olympic Games as some sort of barometer for which country is 'the best'. That is entirely contrary to what the Olympics is all about. The Games are not a competition between nations; it's a competition between athletes. It is becoming a nationalistic 'my country is better than your team' chest-thumping joke.

I fail to see what my opinion of Charlene Wittstock has to do with the Olympic Games.
I've heard from many Americans that NBC is taking it very far in the US vs. Everyone Else. The things they said about Victoria Komova and Aliya Mustafina and all the Russian girls in Gymnastics.... :ermm:

And concerning China; Elaine from Lainey Gossip mentioned that it's not uncommon for Chinese athletes who don't come home with gold to get the beating. I mean, she's Chinese herself and I wouldn't really be surprised.

I also think that Bolt is a greater Olympian than Phelps.

I don't think he's in Phelps' league--for a very long list of reasons and accomplishments. He is a great athlete, but that's as far as it goes imo.

All he did last night was become the first man to repeat in the 200m, which I personally don't think is that impressive. He's the first to repeat in that race, but hardly the first man to repeat a gold medal performance. But, I don't want to turn this into a Phelps v. Bolt debate (been there, done that) because my main point is: I don't think Bolt is a legend. He thinks he is. I don't. If he can come back again and win gold, then maybe. Carl Lewis, the man he just lashed out at, is a legend, is great. Usain Bolt is arrogant. He always has been, but he just crossed the line as far as I'm concerned last night.

I didn't watch him race.

I've heard from many Americans that NBC is taking it very far in the US vs. Everyone Else. The things they said about Victoria Komova and Aliya Mustafina and all the Russian girls in Gymnastics.... :ermm:

Well, the U.S. does want to win the medal count. So does China. IMHO-- China takes this much more seriously. From what I've read, I'd hate to come back to China with anything less than gold.

Hmmm...I thought NBC said some nice things about Viktoria and Aliya's talents....which were quite notable. So, I don't know about that one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
Honestly, I haven't seen anything in the U.S. media that was really concentrated on "beating China" (or anyone else) overall. I mean, in the coverage I've seen, they just show the medal tables as they are, with out much comment. (Though, like I've said, that's just from what I've seen).

My main complaint of the NBC coverage that I've seen (other than the fact that air very few of the major events live) is that they mostly just concentrate on US athletes. There's not much trashing of the other teams or anything, they mostly just ignore them! Though, of course, people like Usain Bolt get plenty of coverage, and Oscar Pistorius has gotten quite a bit as well.

I don't think neither Bolt nor Phelps are 'legends', they run fast and swim fast. Bolt has a better persona than Phelps who constantly looks like he's shutting the world out. And his face just looks dumb. Bolt plays to the crowd and shows off but he shows real personality before a race by chatting to people. I believe Bolt is arrogant but when I saw him run last night, almost every 2 or 3 seconds he glanced left to see where Blake was, I believe he was genuinely worried about his race.

I don't think neither Bolt nor Phelps are 'legends', they run fast and swim fast. Bolt has a better persona than Phelps who constantly looks like he's shutting the world out. And his face just looks dumb. Bolt plays to the crowd and shows off but he shows real personality before a race by chatting to people. I believe Bolt is arrogant but when I saw him run last night, almost every 2 or 3 seconds he glanced left to see where Blake was, I believe he was genuinely worried about his race.

My goodness, I really don't think his looks (or his perceived intelligence) should have anything to do with what kind of athlete he is. Same goes for anyone competing - they're there to compete, not win a beauty pageant.

I see nothing arrogant in Usain Bolt. When you look him chatting with the young volunteers when he takes off his clothes before the race, when you look at him chatting with his jamaican teammates - and also with e.g sprinters from USA, he is very friendly. He enjoys what he does, he loves to perform, and he loves to be the best. There is nothing wrong in it. And yesterday, he could have ran faster, but he didn't have to, because he knew many meters before the end that he would win the race. No one can run the last meters like him.

Honestly, I haven't seen anything in the U.S. media that was really concentrated on "beating China" (or anyone else) overall. I mean, in the coverage I've seen, they just show the medal tables as they are, with out much comment. (Though, like I've said, that's just from what I've seen).

My main complaint of the NBC coverage that I've seen (other than the fact that air very few of the major events live) is that they mostly just concentrate on US athletes. There's not much trashing of the other teams or anything, they mostly just ignore them! Though, of course, people like Usain Bolt get plenty of coverage, and Oscar Pistorius has gotten quite a bit as well.

That's basically all I've seen too w/r/t medal counts in the media.

My main complaint with NBC is all the commercials. One night when I was watching gymnastics, we saw one gymnast perform and then they cut to a commercial--over and over again. It was frustrating.

I haven't noticed trashing either. They do focus more on U.S. athletes, but I think that's natural--especially since a lot are in a position to medal. I don't mind the focus on U.S. athletes, but there have been times when I would've liked more time to be spent on some of the other teams competing- though they do a relatively good job of covering the ones in medal contention. They do have limited time though. I suppose if they cut back on a few commercials....

BBM--Is it really necessary to go there? I don't think he comes across that way, but that's not even the point.

As for Bolt's persona: I guess it depends on what you like in an athlete. He LOVES attention. So, he plays to the crowd, and he gets it. I don't think Michael Phelps is an attention seeker--and I like that about him. It comes down to personal taste.

But--we do agree on one thing: Bolt's arrogance. Up until last night, it didn't really bother me. His personality made it work. But, he opened his mouth one too many times last night.

Last edited by a moderator:
Between the swimmers, divers, gymnasts and rowers, I tell you, way to make a woman's heart flutter!

I think Usain has great character. He engages with his audience and loves the theatre. He's a crowd pleaser, but I think he gets as much from it as they do. Yes I suppose you could consider him arrogant, but tell me of an athlete who is not arrogant to whatever degree? I think Phelps is incredibly arrogant but he's a wonderful athlete.

Last edited:
Between the swimmers, divers, gymnasts and rowers, I tell you, way to make a woman's heart flutter!

Yep. That's been another plus of watching the Olympics: Looking at all these fit, good-looking men.:D

Erin9 said:
BBM--Is it really necessary to go there? I don't think he comes across that way, but that's not even the point.

As for Bolt's persona: I guess it depends on what you like in an athlete. He LOVES attention. So, he plays to the crowd, and he gets it. I don't think Michael Phelps is an attention seeker--and I like that about him. It comes down to personal taste.

But--we do agree on one thing: Bolt's arrogance. Up until last night, it didn't really bother me. His personality made it work. But, he opened his mouth one too many times last night.

He looks dumb, never said Phelps was dumb. There's a difference. I don't think it's about what you like in an athlete it's about if the personality fits the person. Bolt's arrogance, his humour and his showmanship fits him. I said he was arrogant and he has every right to be, everyone has the right to be arrogant when they win a gold medal so play up to it, others don't. I disagree with you that it is a bad thing.

Bolt, Blake and Weir all made lovely personal comments about the time they've spent in Birmingham training in the past months, I found it very sincere and warming.

I don't think it's about what you like in an athlete it's about if the personality fits the person. Bolt's arrogance, his humour and his showmanship fits him. I said he was arrogant and he has every right to be, everyone has the right to be arrogant when they win a gold medal so play up to it, others don't. I disagree with you that it is a bad thing.

Bolt, Blake and Weir all made lovely personal comments about the time they've spent in Birmingham training in the past months, I found it very sincere and warming.

Well--I do think his "personality fits the person" fairly well. It certainly plays well with a lot of people. But...it doesn't play well with me. I think it's kind of annoying and over-the-top. But, I know I'm in the minority on that one. Plus, he always seemed over-hyped to me.

Beyond being a great athlete, from what I've heard, Bolt has done some very nice things for Jamaica, which is wonderful. :)

Well--I do think his "personality fits the person" fairly well. It certainly plays well with a lot of people. But...it doesn't play well with me. I think it's kind of annoying and over-the-top. But, I know I'm in the minority on that one. Plus, he always seemed over-hyped to me.

Beyond being a great athlete, from what I've heard, Bolt has done some very nice things for Jamaica, which is wonderful. :)

can understand that the 'theatre' is not everyone's cup of tea :) but overhyped? Bolt shattered world-records with differences that i thought would have taken decades to reach... the distance between him and the rest at the 100m 4 years ago was unheard of in a sport as well-developed as the 100m.. that's where the hype began, and when he also scored at the world championships .... well, he seems to always deliver when it is needed and that is very rare...

can understand that the 'theatre' is not everyone's cup of tea :) but overhyped? Bolt shattered world-records with differences that i thought would have taken decades to reach... the distance between him and the rest at the 100m 4 years ago was unheard of in a sport as well-developed as the 100m.. that's where the hype began, and when he also scored at the world championships .... well, he seems to always deliver when it is needed and that is very rare...

Yes, I think he is. Sometimes, you'd think he was the first to break a world record in an impressive fashion or to repeat a gold the way people talk about him.

That being said, I've never given any real thought to the 100m and 200m races, except every 4 years.

I still think he's a great athlete.

Yes, I think he is. Sometimes, you'd think he was the first to break a world record in an impressive fashion or to repeat a gold the way people talk about him.

:) okay, i get that :)

Yesterday, for me the biggest achievement yesterday was David Rudisha's 800m worldrecord; not that he never did that before, but on that distance in the last 30 years only 3 people held that world-record, so whenever that gets broken, it's always exiting :)

Yeaaah baby, the Dutch hockey ladies won gold! Tomorrow the men.

:previous:
I just love synchronised swimming; the girls make it look so effortless and easy, when in fact it has to be incredibly demanding, especially the Team competitions.
Russian teams have dominated the sport for as long as I can remember - and rightly so. They usually show phenomenal performances, and this Olympic Games haven't been an exception so far. The Spanish team was brilliant too, and the Chinese have improved greatly.

On related news, today was a pretty good day for Team GB. No gold medals, but plenty of silver and bronze ones:
- Anthony Ogogo won bronze in Boxing (Men's Middle, 75kg)
- Muhammad Lutalo won bronze in Taekwondo (Men's -80kg - defeating, incidentally, Armenia's Arman Yeremyan)
- Great Britain won bronze in hockey (first medal in many, many years)
- Great Britain won silver in Sailing (Men's 470)
- Great Britain won another silver in Sailing (this time, Women's 470)

Team Standings:
1. USA: 41 Gold - 26 Silver - 27 Bronze = 94 Total
2. China: 37 Gold - 25 Silver - 19 Bronze = 81 Total
3. United Kingdom: 25 Gold - 15 Silver - 17 Bronze = 57 Total
4. Russia: 15 Gold - 21 Silver - 27 Bronze = 63 Total
5. South Korea: 13 Gold - 7 Silver - 7 Bronze = 27 Total
6. Germany: 10 Gold - 18 Silver - 14 Bronze = 42 Total
7. France: 9 Gold - 9 Silver - 12 Bronze = 28 Total
8. Hungary: 8 Gold - 4 Silver - 3 Bronze = 15 Total
9. Australia: 7 Gold - 14 Silver - 10 Bronze = 31 Total
10. Italy: 7 Gold - 6 Silver - 8 Bronze = 21 Total
11 The Netherlands: 6 Gold - 5 Silver - 8 Bronze = 19 Total
12. Kazakhstan: 6 Gold - 0 Silver - 4 Bronze = 10 Total
13. Japan: 5 Gold - 14 Silver - 16 Bronze = 35 Total
14. Iran: 4 Gold - 5 Silver - 1 Bronze = 10 Total
15. New Zealand: 4 Gold - 3 Silver - 5 Bronze = 12 Total

What I have loved here in Australia is that pay TV has had 8 dedicated Olympic channels and we have seen every sport live so you can choose what to watch e.g. this morning I went from the diving to the pole vault to the hammer throw and then to the track and was watching all four things live.

I am glad I was sick over these last two weeks and have been able to stay up at night to watch the games - wasn't expecting to do so - but went to the doctors at the start of the games and was sent home to bed with bronchitis.

What I have loved here in Australia is that pay TV has had 8 dedicated Olympic channels and we have seen every sport live so you can choose what to watch e.g. this morning I went from the diving to the pole vault to the hammer throw and then to the track and was watching all four things live.

I am glad I was sick over these last two weeks and have been able to stay up at night to watch the games - wasn't expecting to do so - but went to the doctors at the start of the games and was sent home to bed with bronchitis.

Oh, I am sorry, you are sick. That is not good. Be well.

On the other hand Mr. Bolt is great and Mr. Phelps is great. It is about medals, although, it is very great to just compete. USA Soccor, whatever you call it and the Dutch hockey team, all great!! Synchronised swimming is just fluff, not athletics, just pretty, visual stuff. Long runs and short runs are both great feats. We have confused the games with, nonsense, like, synchronized swimming and twirling, high school fun.

first Gold Medal for Tunisia via Oussama Mellouli on marathon swim that was a stunning win for Mellouli.
also Bahrain won their first Olympic medal ever via Meriem Jamal on 1500m.

I'm thrilled for our 'little' neighbour, New Zealand. This has been a terrific games for them. Quite proud!

Back
Top Bottom