Events and Athletes Discussion 2012 London Olympics

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All medals at 200 metres to Jamaica. Bolt, Blake and Weir train together at the team Racers Track Club, they all have the same coach, Glen Mills. Wow, what a run.

Went on the Medal site and saw someone had 81 medals; I thought well that's it China wins....turns out it was the US! Yay!
When is thi all over, my heart can't take much more.
You need to update the information; the United States now have 90 medals. ;) :)

Last edited:
Lmao GB is being humiliated by the Dutch hockey players. I'm loving it.

Empress Merel said:
Lmao GB is being humiliated by the Dutch hockey players. I'm loving it.

I guess they're getting us back for a few days of the same treatment ;)

I do love the Jamaican shout out to Birmingham!! They deserve it.

Last edited:
Went on the Medal site and saw someone had 81 medals; I thought well that's it China wins....turns out it was the US! Yay!

Just hang on until Sunday. It'll be over then :D.

Congratulations to Team GB on all the medals! Well done :britflag:.

You've got love our sense of humour! It's a complement really

Men's hockey: 'You're not singing any more' chant the GB fans to their Dutch rivals in the stands. The Netherlands, rememeber lead 9-2. Danny Boyle would be proud.
(Tweet from Timesonline)

Manteo graduated from the same University that I graduated from. Big props to him for continuing on & not giving up. Proud to be a Catamount (our school's mascot)! :D

USA's Manteo Mitchell runs 4x400 relay on broken leg

LONDON – Whatever happens to the U.S. men's 4x400-meter relay team in the final Friday night, quarter-miler Manteo Mitchell deserves a gold medal for courage, it appears.
Thursday evening, long after the USA had qualified in morning heats with Mitchell running the leadoff leg, USA Track and Field announced that Mitchell had broken his left fibula halfway through the race.

Why does it bother you whether China or America finish 'top of the medal list'? Winning fewer medals that China wouldn't make the sky fall in, it wouldn't mean the US is a crap country. The Games shouldn't be used as some sort of pissing contest to prove that one country is better than another country, or vice versa. China choose to use the Olympic Games, to show off their strength and power. Surely the US is past these childish games?

Quote of the day for me was from Nicola Adams - the first female Olympic boxing champion ever. When asked about how it felt to be Olympic champion she said "It's made my day". Great British understatement right there.

Jade Jones won gold in Taekwondo tonight, bringing Team GB's number of golds to 25.

Why does it bother you whether China or America finish 'top of the medal list'? Winning fewer medals that China wouldn't make the sky fall in, it wouldn't mean the US is a crap country. The Games shouldn't be used as some sort of pissing contest to prove that one country is better than another country, or vice versa. China choose to use the Olympic Games, to show off their strength and power. Surely the US is past these childish games?

I agree. While I think it's lovely to win medals (and I certainly think every country likes to win where it can!), I think seeing it as one country or another "winning" the Games isn't really in the true spirit of the Games. A few pages back in this thread, I think someone may have said that the IOC doesn't really encourage or recognize the medal standings that so many get obsessed with. That makes sense to me. I like to see each country show their own strengths where they can.

There was a nice little segment on NBC Nightly News last night where they compiled some of the examples of "good sportsmanship" shown throughout the games thus far - athletes from different countries being supportive of one another, etc. I think it's coming together in ways like that and recognizing the talent that different athletes bring to the plate that really make the Olympics so special.

Last edited:
I was watching an Olympian who had medaled in the last 3 Olympics including London. She was asked about what the medals meant to her. Her response was that at the end of the days they were just medals, what was important to her was the experiences she has had in her career that got her to the Olympics.
Sounded like she had a good head on her shoulders and was ready to go out into the real world now that her career as an athlete is over.

Football: USA win the gold medal for women.
loved their goalkeeper she is stunning.:)

LOL--I had to think about that one for a minute. Then I remembered: Your football is our soccer.

And our football-- is not popular internationally.lol

LOL--I had to think about that one for a minute. Then I remembered: Your football is our soccer.

And our football-- is not popular internationally.lol
:D
this is confusing no?
but honestly i never liked the term soccer:lol:
and congratulation you have fantastic football/soccer team:flowers:

:D
this is confusing no?
but honestly i never liked the term soccer:lol:
and congratulation you have fantastic football/soccer team:flowers:

It is confusing!

Football does seem like a more appropriate word. I just wish we used the same words to describe our sports.lol :D

Thanks!! Girls did good!:)

Manteo graduated from the same University that I graduated from. Big props to him for continuing on & not giving up. Proud to be a Catamount (our school's mascot)! :D

Would that be Western Carolina University? I'm a Catamount too, but from the University of Vermont. :)

Mademoiselle Lilo said:

Lol she is stunning but has a propensity to stick her foot in her mouth quite often.

Would that be Western Carolina University? I'm a Catamount too, but from the University of Vermont. :)

:previous:
It is. Yay. Another Catamount. :D Someone who knows what a Catamount is.

Jeremy Wariner joins LaShawn Merritt and Manteo Mitchell as spectators for 4x400 | Dallas-For...

LONDON -- The U.S. qualified in the men's 4x400 relay Thursday morning, but without three of their top runners in the final, questions abound about whether they can keep their gold-medal streak alive.

Last edited:
London Olympics 2012: Now that's a photo finish! Usain Bolt grabs a camera and snaps his own historic frame after becoming greatest ever Olympic sprinter | Mail Online

3x Jamaica in the 200m. If Bolt didnt have the showman attitude, nobody would be interested. His ability to concentrate when it counts is amazing.

I loved him talking to the girls at the start, then doing the press-ups after the finish. The mascot got its share, too. Whenever I see Usain, I am having a laugh. He's great for sport.

EIIR said:

I don't see why it's childish to like winning, everyone likes winning. Look at how GB is screaming from the rooftops every time we get a gold. It's a nice feeling to be proud of the athletes from your country for winning these medals. You are making it out to be a 'pissing match' which isn't true.

Look at the Armenian who said he's pay 60,000 or something like that for every gold one. Look at how people react when they are destined to win gold and don't. It matters. It might be superficial but it matters and it would matter to me if I knew I could win gold and I failed.

I'm excited that the GB is third in the medal table? Does that make me a bad person?

EIIR said:

Quote of the day for me was from Nicola Adams - the first female Olympic boxing champion ever. When asked about how it felt to be Olympic champion she said "It's made my day". Great British understatement right there.

Jade Jones won gold in Taekwondo tonight, bringing Team GB's number of golds to 25.

Where did I ever saying this was a pissing contest between the 2 countries? I am so freakin tired of people putting words into my mouth and it always seems to be the same people all the time. Stop making baseless assumptions about me and my feelings about the Olympics or Charlene Wittstock for that matter. I have stated too many times in this very thread that I am rooting for the US followed by Korea, Japan, and China in no particular order. If China wins good for them they definitely deserve it; being an American if the US wins I will definitely be happy.
In a thread where every other post is patting England on the back for winning another medal, you really can't jump on me for being happy the US has 90 as of now.

Update
Thank U Lumutqueen, that's how I feel. This isn't WWIII it's just a competition and everyone likes to win. I recall the pic of Will & Kate reactions when they got a win. I believe Prince Charles has been tweeting "yeah right" when some British athletes get a gold.

Last edited:
London Olympics 2012: Now that's a photo finish! Usain Bolt grabs a camera and snaps his own historic frame after becoming greatest ever Olympic sprinter | Mail Online

3x Jamaica in the 200m. If Bolt didnt have the showman attitude, nobody would be interested. His ability to concentrate when it counts is amazing.

I loved him talking to the girls at the start, then doing the press-ups after the finish. The mascot got its share, too. Whenever I see Usain, I am having a laugh. He's great for sport.

Yes, I love to watch him too. He is so relaxed and friendly. And to watch him rum, it's always a pleasure.

I can understand the sentiment of excitement when the athlete from one's own nation wins the gold medal. It's the Olympic Games, and all who are involved want to do best, show that they are able to deliver, so to speak. When the whole world is watching you, you don't want to do poorly, certainly not if you're known all over the world as the 'best' at a particular sport. It's devastating when at the end of the day, the 'best' comes out in second, third, or fourth place. I know that there's more to the Olympics than winning, but I think that the majority of the participants go in there with a very, very high competitive streak. They come to win, to shine, to do their nation proud, and not to make a grievous mistake and be the topic of conversation (and then have their moment of embarrassment be talked about in the next few Games to come). You'd be surprised at how many people remember the mistakes, as well as the victories (and the formers are talked about more, for one reason or another).

Bolt doesn't need all the showing off and the antics; his performances speak for themselves. I dislike the way he tends to slow down well before he reaches the finish line, to me that's a bit disrespectful. If he did away with all the hijinks, and stopped acting like a rapper in the mould of P Diddy et al, I think he would be much more personally popular.

Having said all that, for me Bolt is a greater Olympian than Phelps. Bolt doesn't have the opportunity to win 7 or 8 medals at each Games. He's from a tiny island and competing in events that have traditionally been dominated by the US. Winning gold in the 100m and 200m in consecutive Olympics must make him the greatest athlete of all time.

Bolt doesn't need all the showing off and the antics; his performances speak for themselves. I dislike the way he tends to slow down well before he reaches the finish line, to me that's a bit disrespectful. If he did away with all the hijinks, and stopped acting like a rapper in the mould of P Diddy et al, I think he would be much more personally popular.

Having said all that, for me Bolt is a greater Olympian than Phelps. Bolt doesn't have the opportunity to win 7 or 8 medals at each Games. He's from a tiny island and competing in events that have traditionally been dominated by the US. Winning gold in the 100m and 200m in consecutive Olympics must make him the greatest athlete of all time.

Well, Bolt doesn't normally slow down in olympic or world championship finals. Yesterday he seemed to slow down a little in the end, and that is understandable, he wanted to save some energy for the relay, Jamaica has a little problem as Asafa Powell got injured. Powell is a great asset in relay, although he can't perform well on his own. They need all their strength to beat USA. Many other athletes slow down in heats and semifinals, at 100 meters, 200 meters, 400 meters, 5000 meters etc. IMO it isn't disrespectful, they are just using common sense. If you can save energy, you can make better at the finals.

I also think that Bolt is a greater Olympian than Phelps.

Last edited:
Bolt slowed down because he wants to save the World Record for one of the lucrative meetings that will follow. Unlike at the Olympics, he will get paid to do so. Its common practice, many athletes do the same. I'd slow down a bit if I could earn 1 Millon Dollars the next time doing the same thing when there is no impact on the result.

Where did I ever saying this was a pissing contest between the 2 countries? I am so freakin tired of people putting words into my mouth and it always seems to be the same people all the time. Stop making baseless assumptions about me and my feelings about the Olympics or Charlene Wittstock for that matter. I have stated too many times in this very thread that I am rooting for the US followed by Korea, Japan, and China in no particular order. If China wins good for them they definitely deserve it; being an American if the US wins I will definitely be happy.
In a thread where every other post is patting England on the back for winning another medal, you really can't jump on me for being happy the US has 90 as of now.

Update
Thank U Lumutqueen, that's how I feel. This isn't WWIII it's just a competition and everyone likes to win. I recall the pic of Will & Kate reactions when they got a win. I believe Prince Charles has been tweeting "yeah right" when some British athletes get a gold.

First of all, I think you'll find that 'England' is not competing in the Olympic Games. Second, you do also realise that Prince Charles isn't on Twitter? The account that people talk about is a parody, totally fake.

I didn't say that YOU see this as a pissing contest. All over the internet, and on US TV, there's so much angst over whether the US can finish above China in the medal table. The BBC News just ran a report about the obsession in the US in finishing above China. That seems to be the most important thing for most of the American media. You also have posted about whether the US is beating China multiple times.

I have no issue with people enjoying the success of their teams. What I do object to, is using the Olympic Games as some sort of barometer for which country is 'the best'. That is entirely contrary to what the Olympics is all about. The Games are not a competition between nations; it's a competition between athletes. It is becoming a nationalistic 'my country is better than your team' chest-thumping joke.

I fail to see what my opinion of Charlene Wittstock has to do with the Olympic Games.

Back
Top Bottom