The Emir of the State of Qatar is the monarch and head of state of Qatar, as well as the commander-in-chief of the Qatar Armed Forces and guarantor of the Constitution. It is the most powerful position in the country, and has a prominent role in foreign relations.
The Emirs of Qatar are members of the House of Al Thani, which originate from the Banu Tamim, one of the largest tribes in the Arabian Peninsula.
Hakim do Qatar (1847-1971) :
Emirs of Qatar (1971–present):
- Mohammed bin Thani (1847 - 1878)
- Jassim bin Mohammed Al Thani (1878 - 1898)
- Ahmed bin Muhammed Al Thani (1898 - 1905)
- Abdullah bin Jassim Al Thani (1913 - 1949)
- Ali bin Abdullah Al Thani (1949 - 1960)
- Ahmad bin Ali Al Thani (1960 - 1971)
- Ahmad bin Ali Al Thani (1971 - 1972)
- Khalifa bin Hamad Al Thani (1972 - 1995)
- Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani (1995 - 2013)
- Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani (2013 - Incumbent)