William and Kate: engagement and relationship rumours and musings 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All the magazines say that William will visit his grandmother to ask for Kates hand. Why does no one say that he is going to visit his gran to call off the relationship? Or HM is going to say No, we don't want her in our family.

hmmm..but is that you wishful thinking?:ROFLMAO:

Well I was just stating the opposite end to the view, maybe he is close to his grandmother and tells her about his life?
Well when i've said previously that Kate could attend, and people have countered that Kate isn't allowed to attend. But someone mentioned that Sophie had attended the christmas ceremony before her engagement. Which is possible isn't it? She could have attended the dinner and not gone to the church service.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great artical...most I have read before but somethings I personally did not know.

Great artical...most I have read before but somethings I personally did not know.

Actually I did enjoy Katie Nicholl's book. Thanks to TRF.

I find it not nice, that some people want that William breaks up with her, just because she didn´t fits into their imagination.
If she is the right person for him, we have to accept it. Maybe he isn´t himself a diamond geezer. Who knows. :whistling:

I have never understood why so many are so harsh towards Kate and her parents. I think she is a beautiful girl who has conducted herself with class and discretion. I have seen a lot of criticism that she doesn't have a career, but realistically how could she with all the media attention?

My recollection is that Prince Charles and Diana "dated" (if it could be called that) for about 6 months before they got engaged. Once the press got wind of the relationship, they hounded Diana at work, and everywhere she went. As soon as they were engaged, she quit her job and moved out of her flat into Clarence House...or KP...can't recall that part exactly. The point is that she had a SHORT career/job before she became involved with Prince Charles. Kate was a student when she met PW and was still a student when their relationship came to the attention of the media. Since then, she has had the intense focus of the press. Could anyone of us have a normal career/job with the attention she deals with everytime she steps out the door? I just don't understand why this continues to be so important to some people.

hi, I'm new to the forums and this is one of my first posts, but I've been interested in the BRF for a long time.

I believe that William will marry Kate, but when? who knows till the engagement is made offcial. A lot of people wish they knew more about Kate but for me there is all known that needs to be known about her: she will be a very loyal wife to William and that's the most important thing. Other people , not only Royals, are never known completely to others, that's how it is. But with the Royals there is the need of the people to have a feeling that they know them and can trust them in order to accept them as "their" Royals. As this is impossible, people tend to watch the relationships of the Royals in order to guess if they are worthy of their peoples trust. Thus Diana was so dangerous: she betrayed the RF and showed herself to be most illoyal to her husband all in front of the public. Of course, she had her reasons for that (and I don't want to get into this discussion). But coming back to William and Kate: I'm sure William deeply loved his mother but as he grew up and realised who he is and how this shapes his life he must have understood that the most important thing for a future king is to command the loyality of his friends and environment. And how his mother's unwillingness to be loyal to her husband destroyed his father's image: how can the public trust a man whose own wife who is closest to him does not support and trust him? Camilla saved that image - she as the new wife has shown that Charles can be trusted and respected. So for me what William searched and found in Kate is a most loyal companion. And once they marry people will like Kate for this loyality, even though they won't know her and her William.

:previous:

People"most royal watchers" always want to know more. The fact that Kate is and will be loyal to William will be expected, and not a reason to like/love a new princess. I believe she will have to do alot more to earn the respect of what (if the marry) will be her people someday. Such as put herself out there and step her game up by finding her place in royal life ie: charity, royal duties, and yes actually speaking to the public, in my opinion even after all this I too highly doubt that this will quench their thirst to want to know more.;)

All that is and would be important to me is that they love and support each other and continue to do so.

What kind of role would actually be expected of Kate may she become William's wife one day?
Does it differ much from Camilla's or not?

Royal Families have had a magnetic attraction to the 'common' people from the early ages.

would kate really want to marry william because life for her would really change and she hasnt prepared for it ...

I doubt this very much. :ermm:

Me too.

Kate loyalty is being interpreted as hanging on the big prize, no matter what. Maximal social climbing. And that is not a positive thing.
In case they will get married, Kate will have to do a pleasing campaign towards the public, big time. Until this very day, she is not popular at all.

May I ask how this is known? Is it your opinion or has it been printed somewhere?
In any case I'd like to know then why she is not popular.

The Duchess of Cornwall completed around 201 engagements in 2009. Which is not alot compared to some of the other family members. If they marry while William is in the military I don't think much will be expected of them at first but as the years go on she will be expected to "perform" many more royal duties then this to support William.

May I ask how this is known? Is it your opinion or has it been printed somewhere?
In any case I'd like to know then why she is not popular.

I dont want to go too much into detail since this topic has filled hundreds of pages in various threads.
In the UK the wider public will think of Kate as a social climber, workshy etc etc and she is definitely not popular, there is no excitement about a wedding in the public apart from magazines like Hello! that depend on a love story to sell. William is not popular either by the way. For example in Germany people tend to think that QEII should hand over to William instead of Charles, no such sentiment in the UK. William is seen as somebody who doesnt want to commit, neither in private life or duty with a personality as dull as dishwater.

I have lived in the UK for many years and this is the vibe I have been getting, other poster may see it differently of course.

All the magazines say that William will visit his grandmother to ask for Kates hand. Why does no one say that he is going to visit his gran to call off the relationship? Or HM is going to say No, we don't want her in our family.

I think Kate would have to be a total psycho for the queen to tell him no or her parents would have to be total crazies as well.

Anyway, he doesn't need her permission, right? It's only if he's under 25, I thought--the person he should be asking is Kate's parents, unless that isn't so common in England to do.

Anyway, he doesn't need her permission, right? It's only if he's under 25, I thought

If he doesn't get the Queen's permission, he has to notify the Privy Council and wait a year to see if the marriage is rejected by Parliament.

I think Kate would have to be a total psycho for the queen to tell him no or her parents would have to be total crazies as well.

Anyway, he doesn't need her permission, right? It's only if he's under 25, I thought--the person he should be asking is Kate's parents, unless that isn't so common in England to do.

Under the Royal Marriage Act he needs the Queens permission or that of the parliament, if she says 'no'. Up to 25 he could only marry with the monarch's permission but over 25 the second option becomes available. Currently William, Harry and Zara have the second option but Beatrice and Eugenie can only marry with the Queen's permission.

Say he asks the Queen at Christmas and she says no - he could then send a petition to the Privy Council and wait twelve months. Then if neither the House of Commons or the House of Lords says 'no' he could marry her.

As for asking Kate's father/parents that is a personal matter and not a requirement.

Even Charles had to ask permission from his mother to marry Camilla, as well as Diana, and he was well over 25 in both cases. The official announcement usually has words like 'to which the Queen has given her consent'.

Duke of marmalade, here's a poll from the Reuters news agency which would contradict your view of the matter:
... another one on the same topic:
A new poll reveals most Britains prefer Prince William over his father Charles as their next king, and also favor his girlfriend Kate Middleton over Camilla. How do you think Charles is taking the news?
Hi Renata :flowers:
PC x PW= Prince William(Win)
but, and
PW x Princess Anne (exemple) = :whistling:

Lumutqueen:'I doubt this very much.'
me too :)

Duke of Marmalade:'William is seen as somebody who doesnt want to commit, neither in private life or duty with a personality as dull as dishwater.'
exactly :sad: and : The bubble has burst.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1326802/Whod-want-bag-royal-oddballs-laws.html
"Not enough people care for chilly, charisma-free William or his nice but dull girlfriend.Kate has none of Diana's star power, nor her dangerous allure and ability to stir public passion." and "For something has soured in our relationship with the Royal Family.Over the past few years, too much lemon has been squirted on the cream of the unquestioning public endorsement they once took for granted."

Last edited:

Very interesting but not up to date - the first two articles are from 2007.

The third one actually says that Charles is preferred to William. The question asks whether Charles should give up his place for William and 41% say he should stay where he is and only 31% say they want William over Charles. The rest are undecided (from 97 votes).

Last edited:
All anyone can ask is that they find a mate/partner that loves them, respects them, supports them in good and bad times, is a good mother/father to kids if any come from the relationship.

Well said, Little_Rain. Simple and to the point. Welcome to the Forum!

Under the Royal Marriage Act he needs the Queens permission or that of the parliament, if she says 'no'. Up to 25 he could only marry with the monarch's permission but over 25 the second option becomes available. Currently William, Harry and Zara have the second option but Beatrice and Eugenie can only marry with the Queen's permission.
That's interesting! And slightly bizarre in the case of Beatrice and Eugenie...but it makes sense when you consider that years ago Queen Victoria used to play matchmaker with her granddaughters to other children of royalty all over the globe.

So, does she literally have to sign off on all of them getting married...like an official document?

That's interesting! And slightly bizarre in the case of Beatrice and Eugenie...but it makes sense when you consider that years ago Queen Victoria used to play matchmaker with her granddaughters to other children of royalty all over the globe.

So, does she literally have to sign off on all of them getting married...like an official document?

Yes - the request is a formal request not just a quick chat over a cuppa and she has to formally inform the Privy Council that she has given her consent. All decisions of the Privy Council are formally signed.

Why do you think it is bizarre with regard to Beatrice and Eugenie?

She has to give consent to all descendents of George II, unless descendents of a British Princess who married into a foreign royal house, which could actually mean that the law no longer apply as the entire BRF are descended from such a princess through Queen Alexandra but that has never been challenged in court.

When Ernst of Hannover married Caroline of Monaco he asked Queen Elizabeth as a descendent of George II.

Any marriage of a descendent of George II without that consent (unless of a descendent of a princess who married into a foreign royal house) is not legal without that consent and any children have no rights of inheritance based on legitimacy.

The only reason Beatrice and Eugenie must have her permission before marrying is because they are under 25. Once they pass that milestone, they'll be able to seek Parliament's approval should Granny refuse permission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom