William and Kate: engagement and relationship rumours and musings 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The royals must be seen to be separate from politics so having a wedding overshadow an election would allow for the royal family to actually become a fully political issue with the costs etc all being debated as part of the election.

2012 already has 2 big events with the Queen's Jubilee and a third might be overkill (particularly if they want people to visit from overseas for all three events). Some people may already have to choose between the Jubilee and the Olympics (I know I do and the Olympics have won). Had they been in separate years I would have gone to both.

I take your point on this, Iluvbertie - and how could I forget the Queen's Jubilee! Yes, three big events in one year would be too much. So my (hastily) revised view is that 2011 is a more likely year for an engagement and wedding.

The Royal Family don't tend to be seen much when there is an election campain going on.

I never said they did, that would be completely wrong.
I said that the government had alot on there plate at the moment.

British royals tend to have much shorter engagements, so a summer announcement would be a winter wedding. That would allow Kate to have her first Christmas with the royal family this Christmas.

Next year I see a wedding before June 10th (by at least a month) or no announcement until after - why - because I think the Queen wants June 10th to be a real acknowledgement of Philip's contribution to the Crown on his 90th birthday and having a newly married or still engaged Kate their would overshadow but a Kate married for a month or more - or even better still on the honeymoon so as not to be there - would fit in nicely.

That seems very logical. I didn't think of Phillips birthday. But any event celebrating the birthday, would have to include William and a married/engaged Kate. :)

Am I the only one who thinks Wills won't have a wedding until 2013?

I see them wanting to establish Wills as his own man and a royal, and finish his military career BEFORE marriage. I think this will take about three years, enough for him to travel more and take on more engagements. Once he and Kate, or whomever he marries, are married he will be a full time royal. I see no indications that he will be a full time royal before 2013.

Also wasn't it just announced he will be beginning a three tour of duty for something? I do think he'll marry Kate (or I hope, they've been together so long) but I don't see it for another three years. Plus he'll be 30/31 then, a nice age to marry.

I do.
2014 I think, after the end of his military career. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I do.
2014 I think, after the end of his military career. :)

Do you think Kate will really wait that long?

And would the marriage last after such a long courtship? I wonder if such marriages could work after a couple spent so much time not being married.

And would the marriage last after such a long courtship? I wonder if such marriages could work after a couple spent so much time not being married.

Yes I think she would. I may not like Kate but who can blame the girl?

If you were with William and had to wait wouldn't you? All superficial things aside, wouldn't you wait for the man you loved, Prince or not? I think most of us would.

Woman should not attack Kate for what 99% would do whether that be wait around for a man who will one day be King or the man you love.

Kate, like most women, will wait.

Yeah I think she'll wait, depending on the man I would.
Don't know about how the marriage will turn out. :ermm:

But I do find it troubling they've been together all their adult lives. I for one believe it important to live your life and date and be single. Secondly I don't believe in long courtships such as this one.

Wills and Kate are in a particularly difficult position because she's never not been with him. They've been together since University. As a woman once married you become a wife and eventual mother. You lose so much of yourself and have to sacrifice alot because of your family. Kate will also be a Princess, while trying to do what the average woman does.

Now on top of all that she's never really been without William in her adult life, never had such a serious relationship outside of him, will she eventually want for more? Does she work? Yes but a career, no. For the monarchy's sake I pray Kate will not live to regret 'waiting' so long and want for more down the road. I hope she is content with her life and being a royal and doesn't live to regret her decisions. Kate will never again be her own woman once she becomes a wife, mother, princess and eventual Queen.

Now of course Wills is in the same predicament but I feel that women tend to regret things not done more when becoming wives and mothers than men since it more of a life altering experience for them.

I am not attacking her for waiting so long. I have nothing against Kate. It just that the waiting is so long, I wonder if its worth it.
Then again, I'm cynical when it comes to relationships. :)

I wouldn't wait for William, he doesn't interest me at all that way, :lol: but yes I think that when it comes to those we love we will do what ever it takes.

Unfortunately there is no fool proof list of instructions for the perfect marriage/relationship. Dating for many years or dating for a few, marrying your highschool sweetheart or someone you met after trying many different relationships, focusing on building your career first or focusing on a relationship and family then on a career. What works best for one couple will not work for another and what breaks one marriage will make another stronger. Unless they happen to have a crystal ball in Buckingham Palace, William and Kate are just going to have to go with what they think and feel is right for them and like the rest of us hope for the best.

That`s an interesting point, because apparently studies have shown that couples who live together before marriage are less likely to have lasting marriages. I thought I read once that William and Kate lived together when he is not in military training, but I could be wrong.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a wedding delayed until 2013 or 2014 to give William time to finish his military career and then have a year or so as a full time working royal before introducing a wife at his side.

Had William left the military as anticipated in 2008/2009 I would have expected a wedding this year but his decision to go into the SAR I think has delayed the marriage until that is over.

However, for all I know, the announcement could be this week - like father, like son - Charles came to Australia in 1981 and on return announced his engagement to Diana. He also came to Australia after announcing his engagement to Camilla so....

You did notice that I put 'work-shy' in inverted commas I suppose. That was done for a reason - the British public are the ones who use that term not me.
Sorry I didn't see the inverted comma's

I imagine, although this is only guess work, that as her parents started their business from scratch and built up a sizeable life style that everyone works hard. It comes with the territory of the self employed and I expect that they would expect that from their daughter no matter who she is going to marry.

Mary had a part time job that Fred arranged for her before they got married.

The engagement will be after the election results. No annoncement will be made before then

Have to admit I had the same thought as Iluvbertie that an announcement will take place after William's return from Australia. Perhaps wishful thinking but also just that they can get it over and done with and then we can have some new and fresh speculations.

It would be nice to have them announce an engagement but I'm not holding my breath.

I know what you mean, Iluvbertie. He didn't say, "Wait and there'll be a wedding.":lol:

If you were with William and had to wait wouldn't you? All superficial things aside, wouldn't you wait for the man you loved, Prince or not? I think most of us would.

Depends if he waits because he is not certain of marriage with Kate or marriage in general of if he is certain of Kate but has other reasons to hold back (eg getting into duty without the "burden" of a family of his own). I have the impression that it is a "keeping her but let's see what happens" but I could be wrong. They could a couple as well as close or "just" friends who hang out together, Kate could even be a "walker" to protect somebody else who is already in the background.

We simply don't know, the excitement continues, eh? :)

The engagement will be after the election results. No annoncement will be made before then

Im sorry are these your opinions? Or do you have some facts that the rest of us are waiting to hear.:ermm:

Mary had a part time job that Fred arranged for her before they got married.

When she moved to Denmark in 2002 she worked at Navision/Microsoft Business Solutions outside of Copenhagen, for an year until her engagement. I don't think it's ever been said that Frederik got her this job, she earnt it.

When she moved to Denmark in 2002 she worked at Navision/Microsoft Business Solutions outside of Copenhagen, for an year until her engagement. I don't think it's ever been said that Frederik got her this job, she earnt it.

I remember that Frederik had a friend who got her the job. My memory might be playing tricks with me but I think it wadn't possible for her to take full time employment as she had to learn to master the language and as well as the culture. Frederik knew he was going to marry her when he moved her to Denmark and decided that the best course was to immerse in Danish life without the pressure of being the Crown Princess at once.

Im sorry are these your opinions? Or do you have some facts that the rest of us are waiting to hear.:ermm:

It doesn't take rocket science to figure out. I cant imagine an engagement before the General Election either, reason being that a politician managed to use the royals for his own purpose before (Tony Blair when Diana died). He instrumentalised her death for his own and Labour's image when he was in desperate need to score.

Brown or Cameron could jump on the same wandwaggon, trying to use public emotion for votes simply by involving with the royal topic, ending up in a competion.

Certainly a no-no, the BRF will have learned from the PR desaster in 1997 that Tony Blair knew to exploit all too well, and from the events in Westminster Abbey a few months ago, when both leaders tried to outdo each other in the presence of HM.

My opinions but if you were on Royal Blue everyone knocked me for my support for Mary and I was right about them getting married.

Also Charles and Camilla:lol:

The Royal family do nothing out of the ordinary when an election is about to happen.

Certainly a no-no, the BRF will have learned from the PR desaster in 1997 that Tony Blair knew to exploit all too well, and from the events in Westminster Abbey a few months ago, when both leaders tried to outdo each other in the presence of HM.[/QUOTE]

What happened?

You know, even though I believe Wills and Kate will get married eventually, lately I've been having doubts about their relationship. I've been thinking a lot like those who are against Kate - the ones who think she is only wants to be a princess and William is blind to this. I know it sounds incredibly silly, given the two recent videos of them being affectionate with each other. But I have been wondering if there's something wrong with their relationship - something I can't put my finger on.

I've never been a complete supporter of Kate nor have I obsessively hated her. I always figured if William is happy, let them be. But now I am having doubts.

Am I wrong to think like this? Am I becoming like those obsessive haters all over the Internet? Is it immature of me? Or am I not alone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom