William and Kate: engagement and relationship rumours and musings 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What he needs is all those women throw in a little bit of Chelsy, Maxima, Mathilde, Mary, Letizia, MM, Rania and Victoria rolled into one. I've always rooted for Kate and they make a good couple together but he isn't ready to settle and she's just waiting. It's like she's on hold then called upon when needed.

Kate is a smart girl with a lot of potential. She may not posess a law degree and didn't intern at a prestigious firm but there's a brain inside her head waiting to be used for something whether is working for the family business or heck as the queen. She's attractive so I'm sure it wouldn't long for her to land another bachelor who's ready for marriage if it doesn't work out with William.

If they had met later in life, like around the same time the other crown princes met, I believe it would much easier to make a decision on whether they're right for each other or not. At least she would have had some life and work experience to know if being a part of the BRF is something she can truly handle.

To be fair, I think Kate seems a bit like a blank slate right now because she's still a private citizen and hasn't spoken to the press or the public. If she and William do get engaged, I think we'll learn much more about her personality. Right now, all we've got to go on are tabloid stories, a few interviews with people who have known her in the past, and people's interpretations of her body language in photos.

This is my impression as well. All we know about her is the way she dresses, the way she interacts with people during public occasions, the way she acts with William on the rare occasions when we see them together, and that she works with her parents' company. Other than that, we don't know anything of great significance. We don't even know whether she's waiting for William to propose or whether they have some kind of private agreement. Perhaps William's waiting to see whether marriage into his family is what she wants. Taking on the job of being a future Queen is a HUGE decision to make. I think that the closer a woman gets to the possibility, the more frightening it becomes. I'd rather see her and William wait another couple of years and make the right decision than either break up or marry too quickly and make the wrong decision. They should make sure one way or the other.

To be fair, I think Kate seems a bit like a blank slate right now because she's still a private citizen and hasn't spoken to the press or the public. If she and William do get engaged, I think we'll learn much more about her personality. Right now, all we've got to go on are tabloid stories, a few interviews with people who have known her in the past, and people's interpretations of her body language in photos.

Last edited:
But that's the same information we knew about Diana, Camilla and Sarah in the days before the internet...when all you had was a newspaper and the telly. Before the days of tabloid journalism and the news was the real news of the day and not the fact that Britney Spear is getting a divorce, etc.

In the early days all we knew is what we read in the press (tabloid and legit) and friends who couldn't keep their mouths shut.

All the personal information that we know now (the good and the bad) came after they married into the Royal Family (with the exception of Camilla). So people based their information on the sources they had, a few pictures to detect body language or a quick 30 second blurb on the news.

They only thing that has changed is the attitude of the press who feels that they need to learn everything about a person (do we really need to know who Sophie's boyfriend was in the 3rd grade), the public who feels that they need to know everything about a person (no one has any privacy at all all under the guise that as public figure they deserve NONE) and the speed in which this information on a person is spread in a second. You get a caption on Breaking News about a particular subject...with the suggestion that you check back for updates. How about you get the facts (or at least some of them) before you report on a particular subject?

And I think the current Princesses (all the M's and Letizia) have benefited from experiencing life before meeting their husbands. But that goes for any woman who marry later in life and don't marry Princes as well.

ETA: My main point is that both William and Kate should experience life experiences and dating other people before settling down. Yes, many people marry their first loves and live Happily Ever After. If it doesn' work out its no harm no foul. Unfortunately, William is not the position for that to happen. If he marries and it doesn work and then they have kids. You have a divorced King, with an ex Princess William (and possible Princess of Wales). You marry a second time and start over and than what do you have. Nothing good.

Last edited:
He knows that his father met his true love when he was younger and because he dithered and honestly, she wasn't really PoW potential because of her history (it was the 70's not a slam towards her but times were different). But anyway...he met the love of his life when he was young and William doesn't want that to happen to him. So with that in mind, he is hesitant to let her go.

What he needs to realize is that he is not his parents and he can't live their marriage but rather learn from their mistakes.

For Charles marrying at 32 was the right thing the problem was he picked the wrong bride. Having met and loved Camilla, he did date quite a bit before marrying Diana. Sp he knew what he didn't want...the problem is that she was married to someone else and he thought he could marry a young, nice sweet girl who thought the world of him.

William needs to do this..he needs to meet and date other woman. He needs to discover what he doesn't want. He needs someone who is not saftey net (because they met at college, they care about each other and she knows him). He needs something else. He needs someone who understands his position (hello British aristocracy, who has worked a bit and has world experiences). He needs someone who is not Kate.
You have a point there. This relationship seems to be at a stalemate, some might even say dysfunctional. Experiencing different relationships helps you to grow as a person and figure out who you are, and what you want and don't want out of a relationship. Also, you need something more than just a friendship in order to make a lifetime commitment.

I don't understand how do we know they don't have more then a friendship? For that matter who is to say having many diffrent relationships helps to make the right or wrong chocie or a more rounded better fitted person please ... Point in hand the POW .... I have to disagree with Zonk....(and that is a first) but I could see if he did not have this 8-9 year relationship and having had her hanging on for so long ...if he was going to date and play the field my opinion is that he should have done it years ago now to end things with kate and date tons of girls would be a foolish move IMO..

You have a point there. This relationship seems to be at a stalemate, some might even say dysfunctional.

Or, playing devil's advocate, the relationship may simply be serious and committed. They love each other, but they're not yet ready to give up their privacy by becoming engaged. It's just as easy to read that way, I think.

I don't understand how do we know they don't have more then a friendship? For that matter who is to say having many diffrent relationships helps to make the right or wrong chocie or a more rounded better fitted person please ... Point in hand the POW .... I have to disagree with Zonk....(and that is a first) but I could see if he did not have this 8-9 year relationship and having had her hanging on for so long ...if he was going to date and play the field my opinion is that he should have done it years ago now to end things with kate and date tons of girls would be a foolish move IMO..

What if Kate decides to break it off with William after dating so long. I would hope the same standards would be applicable to William....it was not fair of Kate to keep Wililam waiting so long only not to marry him.

The facts are simple....no one is making either party stay in this relationship. Both parties have the right at any time to say this is not working for them and walk. People do it all the time. They do it after 20 or 40 plus years of marriage. Sometimes love dies, people drift because they develop other interest or they fall out of love with their partner. Life holds no guarantees.

William (or Kate) should not be be thought in a negative manner if they decide to spilt.

William is not just any Joe Smith from any neighborhood in England. He cannot just marry anyone and he can't do it multiple times. He has one try (maybe twice) to get it right.

Last edited:
..He needs someone who is not Kate

He is a grown man, I bet he knows what he needs or what he wants and I certainly think like most of us, he doesnt live his life looking back at the mistakes of his parents and trying to avoid them. Also, dont you think that he is aware he can play the field? Actually I find it very mature of them to stick together all this time in a culture that promotes changing partners and not to fall to the pressure of the press and family maybe

I certainly dont think that we are in the position to judge their funcionality, cause we only see A PHOTOGRAPH of them now and then, who knows what happens behind closed doors!, their private life, the emails, the phone calls, the visits that are not reported by the press or their private agreements, all couples have them.

What if Kate decides to break it off with William after dating so long. I would hope the same standards would be applicable to William....it was not fair of Kate to keep Wililam waiting so long only not to marry him.

I agree that she should be held to the same standards as him, but also do not beleive that it is Kate making William do the waiting,:ermm: of course that is my opinion. I know some people who think that because William is a Royal he could do what ever he wanted and all would be ok. My point was that who knows if they have that great love or not! or for that matter what kind of friendship they have together ..... My husband is my best friend that does not mean there is nothing else between us.... and I asure you, I know that William is not Joe Smith from acrossed the pound...lol... and he does not have alot of chances to get it right ...but I also don't think it is the right time to sew his wild oats....Everything I post that is not " "fact is my own opinion ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that this is quite likely. Once they announce their engagement, their lives--and the lives of Kate's relatives--will change forever.

Or, playing devil's advocate, the relationship may simply be serious and committed. They love each other, but they're not yet ready to give up their privacy by becoming engaged. It's just as easy to read that way, I think.

Bottom line (and what I think Zonk is trying to say too):
If William decides Kate is not right for him (or vice versa) for whatever reason, then he has a right to end it, regardless of what we think or believe.

And that is the problem...he needs a combination of Diana, Fergie, Brigitte and Camilla.

From Diana, he needs someone who can just jump in the BRF and star performing engagements at his side and alone. When Diana was a worker bee for the BRF she was on and good. Its the other stuff that wasn't so good.

From Fergie he needs the passion. When Fergie was good and not causing drama for the BRF you got excitement. You got energy and personality (a little too much at times but sometimes it was good). And I am sorry....Andrew when he was with Fergie before the drama was a good Andrew. You could just see the electricity between them. All you need to do is look at the tapes when they first got engaged. Andrew's look was like WOW I can't believe this woman loves and gets me. William needs that. No safety zone for him.

From Brigitte he needs someone who can work like Diana but without the negative of Diana ---- attracting press for all the wrong reasons. Let's face it the press is always going to love a pretty girl and focus on her looks and her clothes. But you can do so without telling the world all of your baggage.

From Camilla he needs smoeone who is his soulmate, completes him and gives him a calming presence.

Not sure if Kate is that person.

I agree about all those different women and what they brought to their husbands and the royal family. I also get "nothing" from Kate--or maybe it's just from William and Kate together.

In one way I don't really want to write too much about William and Kate because it is all just speculation at this point. My feeling is just that if William really, truly loved Kate, not just as a companion but as this-is-the-woman-I-want -to-spend-my-life-with (and if Kate felt the same way about him) we would see it somehow. Either he would be engaged to her by now, or there would be more...something. I understand that William and Kate are both more on the quiet, reserved side, but even then, when a couple are truly in love, it shows. I was looking at a video of Edward and Sophie's wedding on YouTube recently and you can't get too much more reserved as a couple than they were on their wedding day. Not too many smiles. But there were moments when I saw Sophie looking at Edward and him swallowing hard and I realized a lot of that reserve was just due to nerves. Clearly they care a lot for each other and I have seen them looking at each other lovingly since their wedding, too.

As for Andrew and Sarah, it was written all over their faces when they were first married that they were totally in love with each other. And even Charles and Camilla--I don't like the way their "love story" took place but even I have to admit that Camilla is good for Charles; you can see their love when they're together. Charles just turned into a far more relaxed, happier version of himself when he married Camilla.

William and Kate, on the other hand--I don't know. I know chemistry is subjective. Maybe I would see something between them on their wedding day if they married. I do believe William and Kate care about each other and do love each other, but somehow whenever I've seen them together I have never had the sense that these are two people who have found their mates for life--just two people who are kind of long-term companions.

As long as we are going to speculate, I'm going to add that I don't know much about William, but I think from what I do know, William is a cautious sensitive person who was probably somewhat traumatized by the way his parents' marriage ended and his mother's tears and doesn't want to 1) have a failed marriage--therefore he is hesitant about marrying Kate, and 2) doesn't want to hurt anyone or be alone himself--therefore he is sticking with Kate indefinitely.

I know from studying psychology that children are affected by their parents' divorces, not so much in other areas of life as in the way they form their own romantic relationships. So it's definitely not a stretch to say that his parents' divorce has influenced William's attitudes to marriage. I can understand William waiting a few years before marrying...maybe as many as five or six...but he's been with Kate for longer than that now, I'm pretty sure. I don't see any rush for him to marry by his late twenties if he hadn't found the right person; but William has been with Kate for more than long enough now to know if she's right for him.

Maybe William would be hesitant about marriage no matter whether Kate was "the one" or not. But if so, then I think Kate is not strong enough for William; if he is unsure about marriage, he needs someone who has a lot of confidence in herself and can tell him, look, we can make it together: I believe in you. I just have the sense from Kate that she is maybe too much like William--she likes the security of having him as a boyfriend and is only going to go along with what he decides, not push for anything herself. So it might be a case of two people who are both afraid to take the next step into the future, which isn't really a good sign, IMO.

Exactly. I quite agree. He shouldn't be under a lot of pressure to marry if it means that he marries the wrong person, whoever that person might be.:flowers:

If William decides Kate is not right for him (or vice versa) for whatever reason, then he has a right to end it, regardless of what we think or believe.

. I was looking at a video of Edward and Sophie's wedding on YouTube recently and you can't get too much more reserved as a couple than they were on their wedding day. Not too many smiles. But there were moments when I saw Sophie looking at Edward and him swallowing hard and I realized a lot of that reserve was just due to nerves. Clearly they care a lot for each other and I have seen them looking at each other lovingly since their wedding, too.

:ermm:You mean like this picture of them:ermm:icydk.com/.../2007/06/katewillbig_450x450.jpg
Below is the image at: icydk.com/.../ or maybe the one on my profile or the avatar...I don't know I just think that we don't know the whole story and maybe you are right and they don't share that it factor and maybe they do. Just no way to tell what they feel or think about one another...

Last edited:
. I was looking at a video of Edward and Sophie's wedding on YouTube recently and you can't get too much more reserved as a couple than they were on their wedding day. Not too many smiles. But there were moments when I saw Sophie looking at Edward and him swallowing hard and I realized a lot of that reserve was just due to nerves. Clearly they care a lot for each other and I have seen them looking at each other lovingly since their wedding, too.

:ermm:You mean like this picture of them:ermm:icydk.com/.../2007/06/katewillbig_450x450.jpg
Below is the image at: icydk.com/.../ or maybe the one on my profile or the avatar...I don't know I just think that we don't know the whole story and maybe you are right and they don't share that it factor and maybe they do. Just know way to tell what they feel or think about one another...

Yeah, that's true. It really is impossible to know whether William and Kate have that "it" factor, as you say. To me, they look more like good friends than "in love" in those pictures, but it's very subjective. I really have nothing against either of them and would be happy for William if Kate was "the one" for him.

I don't know even know why I made such a long post about William and Kate, other than the fact that I had nothing else to do at the moment. In the end it is all the same speculation until they finally get engaged (or break up).

Well, as William seems rather plain and boring to me I wish he would have found a special woman. Kate is okay and true, I don't know much about her personality. But her looking is rather plain too.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that Kate is plain. She is a lovely girl and, with help that would certainly be at her disposal should she become a royal, she could be stunning. Think Designer clothes, jewels, hair dressers, stylists.... Ahh. I am quite certain that she would also take advantage of the help given her. IMHO, of course.

Richard Palmer from the Daily Express writes that Kate will be spending part of her birthday at Sandringham with Prince William.

Daily Express: Happy returns as Kate takes birthday tea with the Queen

If it's true, I think it's wonderful that the royals are embracing her and helping to celebrate her birthday. I'd imagine that means a lot to William.

If it's true about Kate Middleton spending part of her birthday with the royals this to me shows in action that she is a either engaged or really close to being engaged. Prince William must be happy with the low profile of news. I think they both want the relationship out of the press.

I really am interested if Kate is going to New York like the press speculated recently? That would be interesting for the relationship. And if she does go she must feel her relationship is very strong with Prince William. :);):)

I wouldn't jump to conclusions. The press is just rehashing the "tea with the Queen" rumour again, this time for Kate's birthday.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions. The press is just rehashing the "tea with the Queen" rumour again, this time for Kate's birthday.

Agree - this is another standby that they come up with regularly - tea with the Queen, Christmas with the Queen, birthday engagement, Valentine's Day engagement, William's birthday engagement, Diana's birthday engagement etc etc.

I do agree with the last comment though - no public announcement of an engagement this close to an election (which with the news I heard this morning of a pre-election budget which can't be brought down before March means the election can't be held until about May or even June - the lastest date) meaning the earlies an annoucement about an engagement would be summer while William is in the middle of the extensive training for the next stage of his SAR.

I just don't see them announcing an engagement and having him so immersed in training that he isn't there to help her through the early days. A summer engagement also means a late autumn or winter wedding and after this year's winter I don't think a winter wedding is on the cards.

I think we are all going to have to wait until next year - 2011 will be the jackpot. .. I think at this stage we can outrule 2010 because of the election and as stated, a summer engagement would mean a winter wedding and considering the blizzards taking place at the moment, THATS OUT for next year. 2012 has also far too much going on with the Olympics and Jubilee celebrations. No.... next year short of a sudden royal bereavement is the free year to get it all done and dusted.

She has previously celebrated her birthdays by dining in fashionable restaurants and partying until 3am – but yesterday Kate Middleton turned 28 in more sedate style, with a night in at her parents’ home.

Family and friends, including boyfriend Prince William, descended on the house in Bucklebury, Berkshire, for a low-key event, in keeping with the quieter life that Kate is now pursuing, befitting a Royal consort.
One source said: ‘William has been liaising with Kate’s sister Pippa on the birthday plans for some time now.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1241943/Captain-Harry-settle-Chelsy-Army-promotion-prove-turning-point-Prince-s-relationship.html#ixzz0cAGhVHXu

Its the 2nd part of the page. The first article is in regards to Harry and Chelsy.

Prince William’s girlfriend to sip birthday tea with Queen

Prince William’s girlfriend to sip birthday tea with Queen

The article in the Daily Mail Captain Harry ¿to settle down with Chelsy: Army promotion could prove a ¿turning point¿ for Prince¿s relationship | Mail Online says that she and William and others celebrated her birthday at her home. It also says that there were plans to do something at Highgrove but not at Sandringham. This article has two stories - the one about Harry becoming a captian, and thus catching William regarding ranks, and then the birthday report.

Personally I don't believe the media has any idea of what is going on but keeps making things up because they are out of the loop.

Personally I don't believe the media has any idea of what is going on but keeps making things up because they are out of the loop.

Couldn't agree more, that's my personal opinion as well.

Of course, if this is a made-up story, then the story the day after Kate's birthday will be "Kate snubs tea with Queen.":lol:

However, the Daily Mail report is She has previously celebrated her birthdays by dining in fashionable restaurants and partying until 3am – but yesterday Kate Middleton turned 28 in more sedate style, with a night in at her parents’ home.

This is clearly a report about her birthday made the day after and no mention of snubbing the Queen - different paper I know.

The Express doesn't seem to be running a story about the actual birthday at all - only this event that they thought might happen.

The press sure are getting a run for their money from this couple with their endless speculation about an event that hasn't yet materialised despite press reports of it going to happen for the last five years or more.

The next report from the Express

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/150832/Kate-s-big-day-on-ice

actually says that both BP and CH denied that they had spent the day with the Queen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom