William and Kate: engagement and relationship rumours and musings 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm concerned that with the current budget cuts, there won't be a royal wedding next year. 2012 is out, so maybe 2013?

If so, I would bang my head against the wall out of impatience!

I'm concerned that with the current budget cuts, there won't be a royal wedding next year. 2012 is out, so maybe 2013?

Actually, even with budget cuts, I can see a wedding in 2011. I think with watching how much these two have valued their privacy over the years, that they would actually prefer having a smaller low-keyed wedding. When Charles married, he was heir to the throne so it had to be a grand affair but with William, they will be able to get away with a more cost efficient wedding.

With 2011 having this wedding to celebrate along with the 90th birthday of the DoE, it would give the public something to smile about. I think any upcoming royal wedding is going to be a bright spot in a rather gloomy economic atmosphere. Give the people something to talk about and cheer about.:cheers:

The budget cuts would allow William to have the low key wedding I think he craves at St Georges rather than in London and the hoopla. I also get the feeling that the royals are going more low key in the future.

Well, if these two do not announce an engagement in 2011 or 2013, I would think there's something very wrong in the relationship.

That would be nice if they did a low key wedding, however I missed the Charles and Diana wedding due to not being born yet, so I wouldn't mind sitting up seeing a royal wedding.

Well you'll still get a wedding, just a Sophie&Edward sized one perhaps?
I honestly can't imagine seeing a wedding the same size as Charles and Diana's until Beatrice gets married.

Not sure I follow. Why would Beatrice have a wedding the same size of Charles and Diana and not William. William is, after all the heir's heir and Beatrice is #5.

Unless something drastic happens, I imagine Beatrice and/or Eugenie would have a wedding similar to Peter Phillips IMO.

Well I don't think William and Harry are the type of people to want a big wedding and I think Beatrice is the type to want a big wedding. She might not get it, but IMO she would want it.

I think it would be a mistake to have a small wedding for William. William IS 2nd in line to the throne, and is extremely important to the Monarchy's survival. Public opinion has favored him over Charles to succeed the Queen, and although that won't happen, it sends a clear message of his is populaity and the dersire for a more modern King. Andrew had just as much pomp and circumstance as Charles on his wedding day, and as the future King, so should William. The Monarchy does these events very well, and the whole world will be watching. I just don't see William getting married in a small initimate ceromony considering the frenzy of interest that surrounds his personal life with Kate. IMO of course.

And when Andrew and Charles got married the country wasn't in the middle of a financial crisis.
If the UK saw that The Royal Family is ignoring the country and splashing out on a lavish wedding, William is not going to be looked upon in a favourable light.

And when Andrew and Charles got married the country wasn't in the middle of a financial crisis.
If the UK saw that The Royal Family is ignoring the country and splashing out on a lavish wedding, William is not going to be looked upon in a favourable light.

Mind you, I was 12 at the time, but wasn't the UK in financial straits around the time of Charles & Diana's wedding? Maybe not as much as now, but I seem to remember reports about lifting the spirits, etc. Any which way, I think it would be nice if William's wedding were a bit more auspicious than Peter Philips' just on general principle of being closer to the throne as others have commented.

I think it'll be more than Peter Phillips, but I don't think it'll be the size of Charles and Diana's. 1, because of money reasons but 2, mainly because I don't think William would want something like that.

Around the early 80's, yes the world economies were in a recession. Not nearly as bad as now, but things were a bit difficult.

As long as it is on TV I don't care what size it is...I don't like Royal weddings where you only see them on the steps of the church ...

Here's Richard Palmer from the Express tweets on his thoughts on Wills & Kate:

The rumour mill has gone into overdrive after those weekend photos of William and Kate. But August? When Buck House is open to tourists?
Everyone is talking up those happy, relaxed pictures because we all want the story to move on. Was it them telling the world, we're ready?
My guess is no. I think it was more of a case of William's bodyguards not wanting to ruin the wedding and saying, give them what they want.
About the last part, does anyone really think that was the case? I doubt it because those two have been to so many weddings, and all of a sudden they give the media what they want? And I thought William goes around saying he does not like to be told what to do, or something to that extent.

Last edited:
I don't think it was the case of W&K giving the press what they want, I think it was them being them.
Why is this man tweeting about William and Kate does he not have another better to do?

Ahh that would make sense, thank you Sonjapearl. :)

I think it'll be more than Peter Phillips, but I don't think it'll be the size of Charles and Diana's. 1, because of money reasons but 2, mainly because I don't think William would want something like that.

Lumutqueen ... Who pays for Royal weddings, Police, ect.? Is it the Public....(TAX Payer) If they did want to have a lavish wedding could they pay for all it all themselves and not bother the public. Since we know they have loads of money or would this still be considered offensive?

I can imagine that the public pay for most of the wedding, i'll have to do some research into it.
I believe in Sweden they did a half and half last June, which might be more acceptable to the public.

Here's a snippet from a blog that talks about the possibility of William marrying Kate, but with a totally different POV:

That’s the way we refer to them. The boys. Even now. 13 years later, they’re still ‘the boys’. But those boys have changed. Those boys have gone through an inexplicably rapid transformation. They’re men. They have jobs. William’s even been seen with a beard for God’s sake. Where have the intervening years gone?

As future subjects will expect to see the same kind of public event as his parents? Will we want him and Kate Middleton to allow us to witness them exchanging vows? Will they want that kind of exposure. Will they be able to avoid it?

If they do allow it, it almost certainly won’t be as ostentatious as Charles and Diana’s day. It won’t sit right with our present economic situation. More importantly, that sort of pride will almost certainly lead to a fall. William’s future subjects couldn’t bear to face that kind of tragic story again – regardless of which side of the fence you prefer to stand.

http://thoroughlygood.wordpress.com/2010/10/28/could-william-make-us-happy/

It really brings back memories of Diana's funeral. :(

What do you think? Do we watch William and Kate to make sure he's going to be happy with her because he had such an unhappy childhood? I think that's the case for me.

I watch William (and Harry) because I have a genuine interest in the British royals that predate their very existence.

I hope that William makes a wise choice in picking his bride. If its Kate, I hope that she brings a touch of glamour and dedication without the baggage of Diana.

I do remember the funeral, they seemed so sad, young and lost....where has the time goine indeed?

I remember reading, in a very early ROYALTY magazine, about how the young Princess of Wales needed to be given space to grow into her role because she was such a young woman and had such a steep "learning curve" (my words). Diana, in my view, was loved too much by too many people to ever have a chance at anything resembling a gradual getting-used-to of her new life. I think that people's ambivalence over Kate might actually be a good thing in that she doesn't have the burden of being the "perfect" bride that her would-have-been-mother-in-law had. And she won't have the responsibility of being the Princess of Wales immediately after the words "I do." We aren't as idealistic or as romantic as we were in 1981, and that's not a bad thing.

Prince William and Kate Middleton

I hope it all works out for them as it looks as if they hav a good relationship. I wish them all the best and I am looking forward to seeing their Royal wedding.

:hmm: I have feeling that 2011 will be deciding year in William's and Kate relationship. They will marry or split. Even if they split it will be in quiet way and they will remain good friends.
IMO after so many years their relationship is in limbo :hamster:. This is why it might be "take it or leave it" next year.

It does not apear to me that they are in limbo at all. It seems that they are happy just the way they are and have no intention of caving to anything anyone says......They will marry when they are ready and not before.

It does not apear to me that they are in limbo at all. It seems that they are happy just the way they are and have no intention of caving to anything anyone says......They will marry when they are ready and not before.

I agree - this relationship is not in limbo but exactly where William and Kate want it to be. I believe that they have decided when they will be announcing their engagement and when they will be marrying but I also think that might still be a couple of years away.

I too think William & Kate know when they will have their wedding.
I think they are enjoying their time together now because once the wedding occurs, all discussion will focus on their children (if they decide to have any).
I think maybe they learned something from observing other younger royal copies -- in Sweden, Norway, & Denmark.

I keep thinking about statements the Queen has made about how her happiest days were when she was a Navy wife though she did have 2 small children those years.

While I know those who are born into royal families have opportunities & experiences beyond the majority of us, I have always felt some pity for them. Their lives are open.

I wish William & Kate the best ... whatever they decide about their lives together or apart.

If Kate and William announce in 2011 then they have the Monaco royals to plan around in the middle of summer.
Their wedding although royal does not and could not sustain an orgy of extravagances.. not in these global financial times.It would furher emphasize the gap between rich and getting poorer However it should be fit for for a future king and his wife.That can be done in many discreet ways.Kate is discreet and has a steely interior which Diana did not actually have. I like that attribute of hers.
At the time Charles and Di married we had an economic crisis too- and their wedding was very grand.I remember thinking her sleeves are too big ; her bouquet too long ; her train very long etc......
However Diana had the charm to get away with it.
I wish Kate and Wills all the best always and look for the happy ending to their story.
It appears their well wishers are innumerable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom