William and Kate: engagement and relationship rumours and musings 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. When they go into public duties they will do it together as a couple like Edward and Sophie did. I think too that after they do marry, they will be very private people and just want to start raising a family with doing duties together but not full time.

As the second in line he won't be able to have that time - when he marries he will be a full time working royal and his wife will be expected to step up immediately, with occasional time out to have the heir and spare.

I would expect that he will have some time after leaving the military to become a full time royal before announcing the engagement and that could still be a number of years away - I wouldn't be surprised if in 10 years time we are still discussing when William will marry.

When couples in relationships breakup and then get back together again, it always sends a message that something was not totally right with the relationship from the beginning. Even with Harry too, his girl ends up breaking up so she can pursue her career... just not strong footing it appears.

I 100% agree with you, if it didn't work the first time round it probably won't work the second.

I notice Prince Albert of Monaco has named the day ... Saturday 9 July 2011.
It does seem royal engagements are lasting a year now instead of the usual 3/4 months.

If William gets engaged I wonder if he will fast-track a marriage or hold on for 12 months as seems to be the current trend in Europe?

I don't think it will be a year, but I think he'll wait 6 months perhaps.

I 100% agree with you, if it didn't work the first time round it probably won't work the second.

You know all the people I know who had a break-up of a couple of months (which is what William and Kate did) and then married are still together over 25 years later. The couples that never had that break-up are the ones that are divorced.

I think couples need a break-up when they are dating, because if you get back together you know it's meant to be. You need to know how you feel when you are apart from them, if you can cope or not.

^ That is not universally true. Every couple is different. Specifically, it depends upon the reason/s for the breakup in the first instance, and also what are the reasons for making up.

To resume a relationship because one is not able to 'cope' sounds very unhealthy to me. But perhaps I have misunderstood your point. :)

As the second in line he won't be able to have that time - when he marries he will be a full time working royal and his wife will be expected to step up immediately, with occasional time out to have the heir and spare.

I would expect that he will have some time after leaving the military to become a full time royal before announcing the engagement and that could still be a number of years away - I wouldn't be surprised if in 10 years time we are still discussing when William will marry.

Agree 100%!!!

I think when William meets "the one", he will marry very quickly. Whilst I think that he isn't ready to marry anyone, I also think he doesn't want to marry Kate.

That would be very heavy for her. But I don´t know how the relationship is in reality.
:whistling:

I think when William meets "the one", he will marry very quickly. Whilst I think that he isn't ready to marry anyone, I also think he doesn't want to marry Kate.

Some good sense from Frankinscence.:flowers:

I wish all of these royals in waiting the best, but their relationships always seem like business arrangements. This breaking-up and getting back together always seems like bad news only to get worst down the line.

^ That is not universally true. Every couple is different. Specifically, it depends upon the reason/s for the breakup in the first instance, and also what are the reasons for making up.

To resume a relationship because one is not able to 'cope' sounds very unhealthy to me. But perhaps I have misunderstood your point. :)

I never said it was universally true, that is why I wrote at the start of my post

I think couples need a break-up when they are dating, because if you get back together you know it's meant to be. You need to know how you feel when you are apart from them, if you can cope or not.

I think your right, when he does meet The One, he would marry fairly quickly. Not within a year, maybe after 2 because his father and grandmother would want to make sure.
But I do think he will marry Kate because she is "safe".

Thank you, Wisteria. It's probably been stated before now, I assume, lol. I've enjoyed those posts of yours I've had the chance to read. To me, he's been screaming it loudly and clearly, yet some don't want to listen.

Sorry, Lumutqueen, I did not see that, as I read quickly; my apologies.

Well, the big debate is whether or not William will succumb and marry Kate eventually, against his better feelings and judgment, IMO. I don't believe this is a love match in any way, shape or form, though. And, I still hold out hope that William will stand firm, has some sense of self, of what he deserves in a life partner, and a gauge on what it means to really respect one's partner.

Judging from some words William once said very loudly within my earshot, I think William is very aware that Kate has lost her way. What exactly he thinks about that, and how much it affects his feelings for her, is anyone's guess. But I can't imagine he respects her as a long term boyfriend should. Perhaps that is why he lets her cop all the criticism? Or does he not care? Really, at times, I just don't know. Seriously, I would have dumped him YEARS ago.

I really think this relationship has become a circus, not just in the tabloids, either - and not in a funny way. I think alarm bells should have been ringing when William started allegedly postulating all this nonsense about not knowing whether or not he loved Kate "enough". What is with that? You're either in love with someone or not - there are no shades of gray. If he doesn't know that then I feel very sorry for him. What a lacklustre way to live life.

Anyway, I'm surprised HM has allowed this relationship to degenerate as it has been played out in public.

Degenerate in what way?
I think HM is very pleased with this relationship, the next heir hasn't rushed into marriage and he is taking his time.

I personally think he will marry her, and he will love her and they will have children and a cordial marriage. No drama, not shouting, no public bad looks, sort of like friends who marry each other because they are over a certain age?

I don't know what you mean by all the criticism Kate gets and William letting her take it? What else is he suppose to do? He cannot really step in with anything, he is her boyfriend not her husband and she is a private citizen not liable for agreements or royal protection.

And why do you think so? Has there been a poll? Do you have evidence? Give us evidence, we love it in every colour and shape! We'll never have enough of it! Evidence, please! It's important. Let's analyse it to the deeper end... :w00t:

:lol:

And why do you think so? Has there been a poll? Do you have evidence? Give us evidence, we love it in every colour and shape! We'll never have enough of it! Evidence, please! It's important. Let's analyse it to the deeper end... :w00t:

:lol:

Another criticiser. :)

I stated in my post why I thought that people needed a break up Noor. Because if they get back together they are meant to be, people need time to realise what life would be like without their other half.

I stated in my post why I thought that people needed a break up Noor. Because if they get back together they are meant to be, people need time to realise what life would be like without their other half.

The true test of the relationship! Will it be "absence makes the heart grow fonder" or "absence makes the heart go wander"? ;)

The true test of the relationship! Will it be "absence makes the heart grow fonder" or "absence makes the heart go wander"? ;)

I'm not sure it's the heart that will go wandering. ;)

Not necessarily.
There are a plethora of reasons why couples get back together.

But wouldn't being in a 7 year relationship, living together in university, and going through so much together make William want to marry Kate? If the guy is still unsure to this day, then I say he should call off the relationship. Having gone through what I already mentioned would be enough to make up his mind.

That`s what I think too--William can`t be postponing an engagement because he`s not sure. Seven years is a long time. Without really thinking about it, I`ve been giving William and Kate the benefit of the doubt by assuming that they do have an agreement to marry in, say, three years, when William finishes his RAF training/operational tour or whatever it is. It seems odd to me that after seven years both of them would still have a "wait and see" approach to their relationship.

It seems odd to me that after seven years both of them would still have a "wait and see" approach to their relationship.

The "wait and see" part I think is mostly Will's response to the public and the press. A very dignified and polite (and yet teasing) way of saying "mind your own business will you? You'll know when we want you to know.". He's actually never confirmed nor denied anything about a future marriage now that I think about it. :whistling:

The "wait and see" part I think is mostly Will's response to the public and the press. A very dignified and polite (and yet teasing) way of saying "mind your own business will you? You'll know when we want you to know.". He's actually never confirmed nor denied anything about a future marriage now that I think about it. :whistling:

When Prince William went to Australia for a royal visit this year a person in the crowd asked out loud when he was going to marry. The prince said to the person-you have to wait a while longer.:flowers:

But wouldn't being in a 7 year relationship, living together in university, and going through so much together make William want to marry Kate? If the guy is still unsure to this day, then I say he should call off the relationship. Having gone through what I already mentioned would be enough to make up his mind.
So many people these days are sure they met the one, and then when they start living together for the long haul end up getting divorced so I think you can never be to careful when picking your wife/husband.

When Prince William went to Australia for a royal visit this year a person in the crowd asked out loud when he was going to marry. The prince said to the person-you have to wait a while longer.:flowers:

Folks we have a bingo here! That's exactly the quote that I was thinking about. :lol:

I think the point here is that we can propose different scenarios all day long; every couple is different. From my own experience, break ups only delay the inevitable - unless there is a compelling reason to begin with. I'm talking money, children, substance abuse issues, which may or may not be resolved. Of course, none of those things apply to William and Kate.

IMO, there has been an underlying current of dissatisfaction from William over the years with Kate. He seems to get "claustrophobic", which is a word touted by the press when they broke up toward the end of their time at St Andrews. The words he allegedly shouted in public back in 2007: "I'm free" spring to mind too. Then, you have the reports of Kate "mothering" William ... perhaps she figuratively smothers him too.

Most men worth a penny get tired of that treatment fairly quickly, in terms of a permanent relationship. Of course, the cads lap it up, because they are only using their partner, and I would never accuse William of being so deceitful ... and, men are known to be "hunters" - they like the proverbial "thrill of the chase". Anyone too easy and available is a turn-off eventually - ie when they get tired of having their egos stroked and having their way. From my own experience, from what I've been told and read, and that of every attractive man I've known or know, this is 100% true. It happens eventually, if not right away.

Sometimes, the simplest explanations are the most accurate: if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck ... it is a duck. William will go kicking and screaming to the altar to marry Kate, IMO. It's not that I dislike Kate personally (I don't know her), it's just that I don't think she's suitable for William. She does not seem to complement him, either. For example, he needs less of the coddling, and more of a stern hand, IMO.

Kate, on the other hand, might be happier marrying a very wealthy man/aristo who can take care of her. A man who will be happy to show off such a pretty, devoted wife and mother to his children. A woman who will not embarrass or otherwise cause trouble for him, and stay loyal. A man who will want his wife to look after the household and not work outside of the house. A man who covets a wife who will take care of him, spoil and reassure him. I see all these qualities in Kate.

But, for a woman who allegedly did not hold ambition for a career, Kate is grasping for a position that requires hard work and stamina, with no option to be a "stay-at-home" wife and mother. I just do not see this being Kate's "bag" at all. I believe in her own mind she wants it, but the girl is too protected, IMO. In many ways, she may be a "lamb to the slaughter" just as Diana was.

I believe that had Diana's marriage been really loving and committed, we would have seen a lot less of her, charity-wise. I believe that Diana thrived because she put her energies into her charities, partly - but not completely - to compensate for her personal unhappiness.

Kate, on the other hand, might be happier marrying a very wealthy man/aristo who can take care of her. A man who will be happy to show off such a pretty, devoted wife and mother to his children. A woman who will not embarrass or otherwise cause trouble for him, and stay loyal. A man who will want his wife to look after the household and not work outside of the house. A man who covets a wife who will take care of him, spoil and reassure him. I see all these qualities in Kate.

That to me is a good definition of a Queen Consort. Or a Princess. As far as how she'd go the mile doing duties is something we can only surmise on. I still think that the both of them look at wedding rings with a sense of unease as they know what happens once they put them on.

Rings on their fingers
And bells on their toes.
They will have duties
Wherever they goes.

I mustn't have done a very good job describing my idea of a perfect, traditional wife - something Kate cannot be, which was my point. However, she allegedly aspires to such a role in life (well, this was published years ago, so not sure if she's changed her view, or if it was even accurate; however, her choice of degree does accord).

When someone is going to be a lifelong drain on the taxpayer purse, I think it's only rational and prudent to "inspect the goods first". What I see, I don't like - she hasn't sold me. But, that's just me ...

The word substantiation occurs to me. The royal family is subject to a greater sense of it, as a result of the times in which we live, globally: everyone must pull their weight, . I think it is only fair and reasonable that people question whether or not she will be a good prospect, so that they may reap a return on their investment. That's how businesses are run, are they not?

And, the BRF is a business too. After all, the taxpaying public do not get a say in her elevation to the top position. All they have is their opinion prior to it happening; they can and will express it, should they see fit. Kate instills no confidence in me or many others, sorry; she has given nothing in terms of convincing many that she is up to the task.

This phrase springs to mind: there is a price tag for everything in life. I'm not sure Kate understands that concept FULLY.

I mustn't have done a very good job describing my idea of a perfect, traditional wife - something Kate cannot be, which was my point. However, she allegedly aspires to such a role in life (well, this was published years ago, so not sure if she's changed her view, or if it was even accurate; however, her choice of degree does accord).

Actually I think you did a wonderful job of describing the perfect traditional wife and I think Kate will fit into that role wonderfully. Right now she's quiet, she's discreet, she doesn't do anything that would cause embarrassment to either herself, William or the Royal Family. If you look at Sophie's role now, she's given up any career she had and is the perfect wife for Edward. Edward also gave up any professional career to work full time in the Firm too. They do duties together, attend functions as the Queen's representatives and are also raising small children.

When someone is going to be a lifelong drain on the taxpayer purse, I think it's only rational and prudent to "inspect the goods first". What I see, I don't like - she hasn't sold me. But, that's just me ...

Neither William or Kate will be on the Civil List until he becomes King. The only members of the Royal Family that receive funding from the list are the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh.

From Wiki:
Members of the Royal Family carry out public duties; these individuals receive an annual payment known as a Parliamentary Annuity, the funds being supplied to cover office costs. These amounts are repaid by The Queen from her private funds.

The word substantiation occurs to me. The royal family is subject to a greater sense of it, as a result of the times in which we live, globally: everyone must pull their weight, . I think it is only fair and reasonable that people question whether or not she will be a good prospect, so that they may reap a return on their investment. That's how businesses are run, are they not?

Its not up to the people one bit as I see it but of course they will question. As Kate is still a private citizen and not in any way connected to the BRF, she is entitled to her privacy. A ring on her finger can and will change all that. Up until age 25 in order to marry, it does require the consent of the Queen and even then could be bypassed taking it to Parliament. Diana didn't do royal duties at all before she became engaged to Prince Charles nor did any spouse that married into the BRF. Once engaged, then married, Kate would be expected to do her part for the Family along with William. I do believe though it will be a long, long time before they are any kind of a drain on the taxpayers. The first thing that would happen though on the occasion of an engagement is that Kate would be provided with a royal protection officer I believe.

And, the BRF is a business too. After all, the taxpaying public do not get a say in her elevation to the top position. All they have is their opinion prior to it happening; they can and will express it, should they see fit. Kate instills no confidence in me or many others, sorry; she has given nothing in terms of convincing many that she is up to the task.

I honestly couldn't say if I thought she was up to the task or not as I really don't know anymore about her than what has been made public in the press and publications. I do remember however how perfect a bride for Charles Diana was lauded as and we've all seen what happened with that. We simply do not know.

This phrase springs to mind: there is a price tag for everything in life. I'm not sure Kate understands that concept FULLY.

I would think after being with William for so many years that she's very well aware of this concept and its this realization is why the both of them are biding their time and out of the public eye as much as they possibly can. I think I've stated it before that it wouldn't surprise me if years down the line one or both of them could be quoted as saying something like "Those years were some of the best for us... we could just be ourselves"

I do like your opinions. They do bring up thought provoking issues and make me think. It will be interesting to see where things are perhaps 10 years from now eh? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom